Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Just over 13,000 at Donegal v Tyrone
    That's an Ulster semi final

Surely alarm bells must be ringing in HQ about the high ticket prices, scheduling of games and the codology going on in games by players and managers

I thought it was an awful turnout myself. 22,000 expected in Clones tomorrow though. We shall see if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    I missed the start so watched Donegal and Tyrone on RTE +1

I thought Patton had a super game. Donegal battered them in midfield when J McGee went off and they still won most of the balls in. Murphy was outstanding. His ability to score and win most type of possession and for the size of him to be so influential all the way through, no tanking at 55 minutes

Brennan was great, went quiet for 15 minutes after getting a belt but came back into it.

I was early thinking many didn't give MH credit for being more adaptive, they were shocking today, particularly in the second half where nothing seemed to be addressed.
    When Tyrone are beaten like that they can look terrible, they are not that bad but couldn't handle Donegal, they came at them from too many areas and won so many of the physical and football battles. Could any Throne player make a case for having a good game?

I think MH will have a difficult time now, a lot of the negative statements made about his style were demonstrated today. He'll have the qualifiers to address it, but who knows.

I've had some trouble buying into Tyrone as All-Ireland winners. I still think physicality is a problem for the team, and I don't think Mickey Harte is as flexible or adaptable as people seem to believe. I remember a couple of years back thinking they had trouble when they had to chase a game and I dont think much has changed there. They were made to look very ordinary at times today, even though there were only a couple of scores in it in the end.
    Obviously they're still in the competition and they'll have better days, anything can happen, but I dont think they've improved as dramatically as some people seem to think. I still think there are some old problems there.

As for donegal, there's a lot of potential in that team and I could see them having a say later in the competition. Not sure if it's the full package just yet, but plenty of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

PressRun wrote: »
    I still think physicality is a problem for the team, and I don't think Mickey Harte is as flexible or adaptable as people seem to believe.

Please watch the match again if you think physicality is a problem or watch them vs Dublin 2x last year in the championship.

Utterly deluded.

Like my dad said, he grew up in a time when tyrone had no AIs, not ever a chance really. Now they have several and have been in the top of the power rankings/getting to AI finals/sfs/qfs every year with a whole new renovated team. ALL UNDER MICKEY HARTE.

MH cant adapt but Donegal can let us get within a goal at the end when we have huge gaps back and Donegal are drawing us out? No bother. 6 managers donegal have had since MH took over Tyrone. Id rather not emulate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Surely alarm bells must be ringing in HQ about the high ticket prices, scheduling of games and the codology going on in games by players and managers

5pm on a Saturday evening doesn't help either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Please watch the match again if you think physicality is a problem or watch them vs Dublin 2x last year in the championship.

Utterly deluded.

Like my dad said, he grew up in a time when tyrone had no AIs, not ever a chance really. Now they have several and have been in the top of the power rankings/getting to AI finals/sfs/qfs every year with a whole new renovated team. ALL UNDER MICKEY HARTE.

MH cant adapt but Donegal can let us get within a goal at the end when we have huge gaps back and Donegal are drawing us out? No bother. 6 managers donegal have had since MH took over Tyrone. Id rather not emulate them.

Do you think tyrone will win the all Ireland this year? It's nothing to do with management. I just don't think they have a real leader in the team and the calibre of players to win it if you compare the current crop to the great all Ireland winning teams. Not a criticism, just is what it is. They could go on a good run like last year but wouldn't beat the dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Mayo would beat Tyrone.

I think so too. Also I think Mayo would give Dublin a far better game than Tyrone if they meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I really thought Tyrone would be the ones to do it this year. Hugely overestimated them based on yesterday, though they'll cruise to the quarters if they avoid Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Utterly deluded.

He has basically become the Arsene Wenger of Gaelic football
    As a Mayo man I’m delighted every year he stays on
    Ye need a fresh voice . Badly . If ,as you say, you don’t care about Ulster titles and only aim is AI.
    Ye will NOT win one under Harte . The game has moved on . He hasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I thought it was an awful turnout myself. 22,000 expected in Clones tomorrow though. We shall see if it happens.
    God help them having to watch Fermanagh. Any parent who takes their child to that game should be reported to child protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

I would expect that there will be easily that today. Hill tickets sold out yesterday and main stand will surely be full. That's 18000 before anyone is in the other 3 sections.

Edit: only supervalu hill allocation sold out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

physioman wrote: »
    5pm on a Saturday evening doesn't help either

I agree. Sunday is the day to play county games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

physioman wrote: »
    Do you think tyrone will win the all Ireland this year? It's nothing to do with management. I just don't think they have a real leader in the team and the calibre of players to win it if you compare the current crop to the great all Ireland winning teams. Not a criticism, just is what it is. They could go on a good run like last year but wouldn't beat the dubs.
    I don’t think he cares, as long as Donegal doesn’t. Reminds me of a friend from Castlederg sayin the day Tyrone won their first all Ireland his dad was still miffed that donegal beat them to it by 11 years. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Utterly deluded.

They won three in short succession.
    And beat Kerry on all three occasions, twice in finals.
    That's great going
    They also won minor and u21 All Ireland's under Heart.

But the last time they really made an impact was that 2008 final.
    In a decade where Dublin are the benchmark they were well beaten by them in 2018 and embarrassed by them in 2017.

This decade Donegal, by winning one and getting to another final, have certainly out shone Tyrone.

Tyrone's final appearance in 2018 also involved them not meeting either Mayo or Kerry on the way.

Thomas O'Se has been very big on Tyrone on RTE this year.
    He believes they turned a corner during the league, and I think many Mayo and Kerry fans will admit that they were lucky to meet Tyrone early in the league.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about yesterday's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I wouldn't write off Tyrone just yet, a few extra matches in the qualifiers might just be what they need to perfect their new system of playing which is clearly leaving them a bit exposed.

They have been steadily improving over the last couple of seasons, somebody mentioned Mayo above but realistically they haven't done anything in the championship in nearly two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They won three in short succession.
    And beat Kerry on all three occasions, twice in finals.
    That's great going
    They also won minor and u21 All Ireland's under Heart.

But the last time they really made an impact was that 2008 final.
    In a decade where Dublin are the benchmark they were well beaten by them in 2018 and embarrassed by them in 2017.

This decade Donegal, by winning one and getting to another final, have certainly out shone Tyrone.

Tyrone's final appearance in 2018 also involved them not meeting either Mayo or Kerry on the way.

Thomas O'Se has been very big on Tyrone on RTE this year.
    He believes they turned a corner during the league, and I think many Mayo and Kerry fans will admit that they were lucky to meet Tyrone early in the league.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about yesterday's game.

I think Tyrone are a victim of Harte's success and legend status.
    (The same thing happened Kerry with Micko and Meath with Boylan)
    Surely there are other younger managers with fresh ideas in Tyrone, who are more flexible tactically. A different set of eyes looking at it?

MH had has layed a foundation in Tyrone football that will last for generations now. I noticed all that club Tyrone stuff when I was up there.

It seems like superb stuff is being done up there.

http://tyronegaacentre.com/

But the whole thing seems overly dependent on one man - Mickey Harte.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Fairly obvious Tyrone's backs are undoubtedly poor to compete at highest level. Dublin toyed with them in 17 and 18 and donegal ran them ragged yesterday

Attacks win audiences, defences win titles

I really thought Tyrone would be the ones to do it this year. Hugely overestimated them based on yesterday, though they'll cruise to the quarters if they avoid Mayo.

It would be approaching delusion to rule Tyrone out just yet.

It would be approaching delusion to rule Tyrone out just yet.

I'd rule them very far away from where I thought they were. Yesterday was clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

I'd rule them very far away from where I thought they were. Yesterday was clueless.

Wouldn’t be suprised if Tyrone didn’t make super8 . Average enough in my opinion . Reaching all Ireland last year papered over a lot of cracks . Unfortunately from what I have seen so far this year it looks like the gap between Dublin and the rest is just getting bigger

You don't know Ulster football much do you? :)
    They could sparkle next day out and build from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ulster is competitive but standard is average enough .

Go and **** with that condescending act you do. I watched the game yesterday and seen it for myself. They could go anything the next day but it still doesn't make yesterday anything other than clueless.

Go and **** with that condescending act you do. I watched the game yesterday and seen it for myself. They could go anything the next day but it still doesn't make yesterday anything other than clueless.

Deep breaths there Mr Brennan. Deep breaths.
    Many teams go out and play clueless. Writing off a team like Tyrone on the basis of one day is rash.
    Nothing condescending meant or inferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Deep breaths there Mr Brennan. Deep breaths. Many teams go out and play clueless. Writing off a team like Tyrone on the basis of one day is rash. Nothing condescending meant or inferred.

Tyrone in particular can be pants one day and very good the next.

Maybe all the talk about a good plan A and no plan B has some grounds.

That does not mean their plan A wont catch you though.

Stoner wrote: »
    Tyrone in particular can be pants one day and very good the next.

Maybe all the talk about a good plan A and no plan B has some grounds.

That does not mean their plan A wont catch you though.

Ulster football last year...Fermanagh V Donegal in the Ulster final.

All Ireland semi final day: Monaghan V Tyrone
    All Ireland Final Day: Dublin V Tyrone.

Donegal, Fermanagh, nowhere to be seen.

Writing off a team that falls at a hurdle in Ulster is rash if not stupid. Simple fact backed up with recent evidence.

Deep breaths there Mr Brennan. Deep breaths.
    Many teams go out and play clueless. Writing off a team like Tyrone on the basis of one day is rash.
    Nothing condescending meant or inferred.

I said they were clueless yesterday. I said I expected them to be better this year which means they wouldn't be clueless at all, hence they aren't as good as I though they would be.

None of us has a crystal ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Certainly wouldn't write them off based on one loss in Ulster - it's the toughest province after all. I think they'll still make Super 8s. But I stand by my assessment that they still have many of the same problems they had a couple of years ago. If it was a Dublin Tyrone final again, I think Dublin would bully them again.

No surprises in Monaghan v Fermanagh. Monaghan found it very hard to break down a negative team though. Hard to know where they are at.

Despicable scenes at the end.

Pity BBC didn't/couldn't show this replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

No surprises in Monaghan v Fermanagh. Monaghan found it very hard to break down a negative team though. Hard to know where they are at.

Despicable scenes at the end.

What happened at the end of the game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement