Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

C__MC wrote: »
    People always speak about 2016 and 2017 between the dubs and mayo and that mayo should have won

Always think myself in 2013, mayo blew it

Agreed 2013 was a better chance than 2017.
    Felt Dublin were in control 2017.
    But I remember been thankful for the draw 2016 though it was a bit of a yo-yo game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Jayus that 2013 Kerry game was fantastic - I did not could not enjoy it though was too nervous at the the time - there was no time to relax 90 mile an hour stuff. Then afterwards when I rewatched it I thought that was one of the best games ever! The Gooch's game really.

2014 was the nice kick in the @rse that Dublin needed. No way would have evolved as well without it.

Dublin football should be thanking the two - Jim's McGuinness and Gavin.
    Oh and Christy Toye as well!

I hope this Mayo game is up there with Mayo v Dublin 06, 13, 16, 17 in particular.

I would like to see Mayo put on a good show.
    It might finally be the last game for a lot of those Mayo veterans?
    And at the back of my mind I am thinking that a dying wasp can sting ya if you are not careful.

But the impression I get is that Mayo fans do not seem to have thier normal air of expectation this time?

It is up to those Mayo lads to make them ask why they doubted them.

You’re right. We are trying to be optimistic. But all the signs point towards a Dublin victory. We are just hoping that on the day everything goes in Mayo’s favour – that the shooting somehow goes well, a player or 2 to get sent off for Dublin, poor shooting by Dublin, a little bit of complacency kicks in for Dublin, kickouts go well for Mayo etc. etc. It’s unlikely that these things will all happen, but it is possible.

So it’s more “hopeful” than having expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think if you told most Mayo fans at the beginning of the year that we'd still make a semi final after losing in Connacht, going through the qualifiers and losing key players to injury consistently throughout the summer, they'd have bitten your hand off. No one I've been speaking to is expecting a whole lot. More hopeful than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Hard to see the Dubs being complacent given the fact it's only this Mayo team who have properly put it up to in Championship them since Donegal turned them over in 2014.

Donegal had a stinker on Saturday last doing all the things you don't do against a team of Mayo's physicality and somehow still were in the game coming down the stretch when they should have been beat by double scores. Hard to see Dublin being so stupid as to run the ball into contact repeatedly and give Mayo the oxygen they need.

The Dubs will be patient, wait for the opening, and work the score. Mayo need a game of chaos and a dog fight. From what we've see of Dublin recently its hard to see them let the game go to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Tickets back up now on tickets.ie for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Dublin have had what can only be described as 6 training matches so far where they rarely got out of 2nd gear.

Mayo have been all over the country and pushed hard in a number of games. And they only have 6 days to rest whereas many of the Dublin team will have had a 2 week rest.

I hope I'm wrong but if Dublin do get into their stride they could do a number on Mayo for these reasons. The long season and numerous injuries will I think catch up with Mayo.

I'm seeing two possible scenarios. Either Mayo go very close and even bring it to a draw after 70s mins and extra time. Or they lose by 10 points because of the long championship! I hope its not the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Agreed 2013 was a better chance than 2017.
    Felt Dublin were in control 2017.
    But I remember been thankful for the draw 2016 though it was a bit of a yo-yo game.

Didn't begrudge Mayo the draw, and neither set of supporters felt they had left it behind.

On other hand, you would have to imagine that had Connolly not grabbed the ball from Kilkenny and shot for the point from the sideline that Dublin would have been able to run down the clock or force a free or even put a shooter in better position.

Not a chance a similar option would be taken today.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Went through all the waiting time, made a selection of the lower Hogan, get a message saying this ticket is not available and put back to the start, went for the Cusack, same again, then I picked Davin and it told me I’d timed out.

Guessing it’s sold out again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

redbuck wrote: »

Went through all the waiting time, made a selection of the lower Hogan, get a message saying this ticket is not available and put back to the start, went for the Cusack, same again, then I picked Davin and it told me I’d timed out.

Guessing it’s sold out again.

Yeah they went on sale for 2500 tickets,apparently there will be another sale tomorrow the window is 45 mins.

Also hogan uppers are only available. Never mind what the graphic says. If it says token expired click back not start over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They really should have. Five years later and I still can't believe they lost that game, they were absolutely toying with Donegal and I think if that game was played 10 times Dublin would have hammered them in 9 of them.

Instead they switched off and got caught on the hop.

It was nothing to do with Dublin switching off.
    It was a weakness in how Dublin set up that McGuinness spotted and exploited.
    Second half especially between mid-field and the Dublin goal was a wide open prairie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

charlie14 wrote: »
    It was nothing to do with Dublin switching off.
    It was a weakness in how Dublin set up that McGuinness spotted and exploited.
    Second half especially between mid-field and the Dublin goal was a wide open prairie.

Wide open because Dublin switched off and then didn't react. They had never been that open beforehand, or do you think that the likes of Kerry just didn't notice those sorts of big gaps previously? Did Donegal's plan really involve Dublin making them look like a junior team for most of the first half?

Donegal grabbed their chance and fair play to them, but Dublin were giving them a spanking in that first half and had they just maintained a basic level of work they would have ran out easy winners, Jimmy masterplan or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Donegal played out of their skin for the last 50 minutes and fully deserved it. Think it was biggest score anyone has ever put up against a Gavin team?

Big factor was absence of Ger at centre half back. He would never have left such a hole down the centre, and ironically the reason he was falling out of favour at that stage was because he did not fit the mode of attacking defender which was then in vogue.

After 2014, a defender's first job was defence, not haring up the field and forgetting to come back in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cb12345

Thanks all , for the heads up on tickets.

I managed to get 3 tickets about 20 mins ago, 2 adults 1 kids all sitting together in upper Davin.

There was a message on screen while I was waiting saying less than 200 tickets left. The message had an update time of 15.50.

Wide open because Dublin switched off and then didn't react. They had never been that open beforehand, or do you think that the likes of Kerry just didn't notice those sorts of big gaps previously? Did Donegal's plan really involve Dublin making them look like a junior team for most of the first half?

Donegal grabbed their chance and fair play to them, but Dublin were giving them a spanking in that first half and had they just maintained a basic level of work they would have ran out easy winners, Jimmy masterplan or not.

This is just fundamentally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ah Canavan is awful lads. And while I know Senan Connell well enough, and he's an ok dude, he's useless on d'telly!
    And don't get me started on Carney, has he ever played the fecking game??

Losing Horan was a blow.

Yea i think Senan Connel offers very little. Carney is poor. Earley and Nicky English are deplorable co commentators. Dessie Dolan is woeful. Pat Spillane a spoofer. All the rest of em i dont mind.

Early in the first half Donegal set up too deep defensively. Once they sorted that out after 15-20 mins the Dublin score dried up and Dublin for the rest of that game looked like the junior side from there to the end.

If Dublin had used their half backs for their primary purpose, defending rather than three extra attackers that left acres of space between mid-field and their back line then perhaps the outcome would have been different.

Do you somehow believe that the Donegal players of their own bat on the day came up with the plan to leave that space for Durcan to kick over mid-field into. Or that when Donegal turned Dublin over they kicked into that space for their half forwards to run onto, leaving the Dublin half back line chasing them while their two men up front stayed near the Dublin goal to leave that space as large as possible?

Whether you want to believe it or not, that was the game plan by McGuinness and it worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Was definitely a weird game Dublin hit 17 points and missed two goals along with Brogan missing handy frees
    17 points was a huge score as Kerry only put 2.9 on that donegal defence

Dublin definitely got sucked up the pitch and their defence was wide open with the runners. It certainly wouldn't happen now.

Was definitely a weird game Dublin hit 17 points and missed two goals along with Brogan missing handy frees

Dublin definitely got sucked up the pitch and their defence was wide open with the runners. It certainly wouldn't happen now.

That Dublin team was completely different to what we have now thank god. Even same lads in there have matured no ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Yeah, to put some context on this there have been in this decade 20 other (than Donegal-Dublin) semi-finals including one that went to extra-time and only six times has a team scored more points than Dublin did that day.

As well as Donegal played they relied on goals to win it. Little did they realise that they were in fact preparing their opponents to be still undefeated five years later, and winning an All Ireland for Kerry to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The dubs Mayo semi in 2012 I think was mad cos Mayo ran into a big lead early but second half dubs comeback and lose by only few points . More of the same drama this Saturday please!

Donegal put 3 - 14 past them to win by 6 and from memory Ryan McHugh and McFadden missed two goal chances that day as well in the second half.
    As that second half went on Dublin panicked taking pot shots from bad positions. Not something you see them doing nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It would be so Mayo if they beat Dublin to stop the 5 in a row and then lose the final.

charlie14 wrote: »

Donegal put 3 - 14 past them to win by 6 and from memory Ryan McHugh and McFadden missed two goal chances that day as well in the second half.
    As that second half went on Dublin panicked taking pot shots from bad positions. Not something you see them doing nowadays.

McHugh had an absolute blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

FatherTed wrote: »
    It would be so Mayo if they beat Dublin to stop the 5 in a row and then lose the final.

Not impossible, because Dublin haven’t had a test yet and if Mayo get away with the physical stuff in the semi, then they could beat Dublin. The three-week gap to the final will bring all Mayos insecurities to the fore and they could hand the All-Ireland to Kerry or Tyrone.

A semi-final doesn’t have a prize but it takes cojones to win an All-Ireland final and Mayo don’t seem to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

People always speak about 2016 and 2017 between the dubs and mayo and that mayo should have won

How so? Genuinely curious as to how so many people think that wasn't a one sided affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Looking like an absolute deluge of rain this weekend if reports are to be believed. If it's as bad as predicted, it should suit Mayo and Tyrone more than Dublin and Kerry. Could be in for a couple of scrappy games.

corny wrote: »

How so? Genuinely curious as to how so many people think that wasn't a one sided affair.

Well they flew into a lead, then brogan levelled with the goal. Mayo were leading at half time after limiting the Dublin movement. Dublin took the lead then we lost 2 men who were injured but weren't subbed. Then 2 points behind free worthy of a strike at goal and he flicks it over the bar for a point. Yeah mayo ****ed it.

Well they flew into a lead, then brogan levelled with the goal. Mayo were leading at half time after limiting the Dublin movement. Dublin took the lead then we lost 2 men who were injured but weren't subbed. Then 2 points behind free worthy of a strike at goal and he flicks it over the bar for a point. Yeah mayo ****ed it.

Or just absolutely laughable defending as per usual.

Nothing about blowing it, just simply not good enough.

• Advertisement

Or just absolutely laughable defending as per usual.

Nothing about blowing it, just simply not good enough.

No they definitely blew it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement