Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

FatherTed wrote: »
    It would be so Mayo if they beat Dublin to stop the 5 in a row and then lose the final.

And so Kerry to be the beneficiaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

C__MC wrote: »
    People always speak about 2016 and 2017 between the dubs and mayo and that mayo should have won

Always think myself in 2013, mayo blew it

Might have been a close match but only one Mayo forward scored from play. Hard to say they blew it in the context of that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Listening to Off the Ball from Achill where it never fails to amaze me the blind loyalty Mayo people have when playing Dublin. Kilbanne fancies Mayo. McHale fancies Mayo. Willie Joe Padden tips Mayo. Even the one neutral Sean Boylan made a good argument for Mayo and tipped them to win. Fair enough, we all have our opinions but i feel its time Dublin removed all this hope that Mayo seem to have against us by finally giving them a bit of a beating. They certainly have brought us to the edge in a lot of big games but between league and championship they have a pretty woeful record v Dublin yet their coming up full of bravado and confidence once more. Kilbanne was right about one thing though, it is the hope that kills you in the end. After Saturday, Mayo folk we will remove that from yere heads for once and for all. Lambs to the slaughter this time. The green and red will be black and blue and a sorry mess when the final whistle shrills. I cannot wait for this blood bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Or just absolutely laughable defending as per usual.

Nothing about blowing it, just simply not good enough.

No, Mayo blow it.

O’Connor with a free to win? Misses it.
    Clarke with one last kick out with two men free and Dublin down a man after Kilkenny black card? Kicks it out over the opposite sideline.

Self-inflicted mental breakdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Listening to Off the Ball from Achill where it never fails to amaze me the blind loyalty Mayo people have when playing Dublin. Kilbanne fancies Mayo. McHale fancies Mayo. Willie Joe Padden tips Mayo. Even the one neutral Sean Boylan made a good argument for Mayo and tipped them to win. Fair enough, we all have our opinions but i feel its time Dublin removed all this hope that Mayo seem to have against us by finally giving them a bit of a beating. They certainly have brought us to the edge in a lot of big games but between league and championship they have a pretty woeful record v Dublin yet their coming up full of bravado and confidence once more. Kilbanne was right about one thing though, it is the hope that kills you in the end. After Saturday, Mayo folk we will remove that from yere heads for once and for all. Lambs to the slaughter this time. The green and red will be black and blue and a sorry mess when the final whistle shrills. I cannot wait for this blood bath.

I hope not. I love them coming back year after year. And once we've the 5 in a row in the bag I won't begrudge them.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, Mayo blow it.

O’Connor with a free to win? Misses it.
    Clarke with one last kick out with two men free and Dublin down a man after Kilkenny black card? Kicks it out over the opposite sideline.

Self-inflicted mental breakdowns.

And the worst of all, that headbanger Donie Vaughan inexplicably retaliating v an already red carded John Small when, more than likely, Mayo would have gone on to win by a point or two. Or would they? Probably would have found some other miraculous way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. Mayo, for us Dubs, are the gift that keeps on giving. We really love you guys ha.

I hope not. I love them coming back year after year. And once we've the 5 in a row in the bag I won't begrudge them.

I wouldn't begrudge anybody if they beat us fair and square but these lads have missed the boat. They will not beat this Dublin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

And the worst of all, that headbanger Donie Vaughan inexplicably retaliating v an already red carded John Small when, more than likely, Mayo would have gone on to win by a point or two. Or would they? Probably would have found some other miraculous way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. Mayo, for us Dubs, are the gift that keeps on giving. We really love you guys ha.

I dont buy the vaughan one personally. I dont believe he was going to send small off to be honest with you, I felt he was going to give him a last warning. Vaughan going in made it easier to just red card them both.

I see dubs are on selling sites looking for tickets for the final already. The overconfidence is seeping in and you never know it until it's too late. Stopping the 5 in a row would be as good as an all ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

I dont buy the vaughan one personally. I dont believe he was going to send small off to be honest with you, I felt he was going to give him a last warning. Vaughan going in made it easier to just red card them both.

I see dubs are on selling sites looking for tickets for the final already. The overconfidence is seeping in and you never know it until it's too late. Stopping the 5 in a row would be as good as an all ireland

Sure I'm trying to swap 3 Hurling finals for 1 football. As sure as I'm waking up at 6am in the morning we will be in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Anyone trying to buy tkts for the final now from anywhere or for any reason is obviously a bit fkn dim.

You may sure it is not any of the management or players anyway...

• Advertisement

I'm sure it would but it aint gonna happen. Too much mental scarring and miles on the clock. Not to mentiona hugely inferior score conversion rate. Something like 90% v 40%. And a better team. And panel. Sorry Mayo folk but i dont do sentimentality. Sport is cruel. For some more than others. Quite nice for us Dubs actually. It's beautiful being a Dub, really.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyone trying to buy tkts for the final now from anywhere or for any reason is obviously a bit fkn dim.

You may sure it is not any of the management or players anyway...

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Back in 2017 before the final I posted on the Dublin thread about at what stage that season (2017) Dublin took the lead for the last time in a game

It was kind of a gauge to see how well teams fared against them because you often hear stuff like "so and so only lost to Dublin by x".

Anyway in 2017 it was as follws

In the 2017 final v Mayo Dublin took the lead for the last time on the 73 minute or close to it

So in 2016 v Kerry it was actually the 72nd minute that they took the lead for good.
    Based on most of Dublin's games that was very late

While we are at it here are the numbers for 2018 and 2019 to date

V Wicklow - 1st minute
    v Longford - 1st minute
    v Loais - 19th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Donegal - 25th minute (Donegal lead up to the 22nd minute)
    v Tyrone - 22nd Minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Roscommon - 6th minute (dead rubber)
    v Galway - 27th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Tyrone - 22nd minute

v Louth - first 5 minutes or so, not sure
    v Kildare - 4th minute
    v Meath - 11th minute (the first score of the game)
    v Cork 18th minute
    v Roscommon - 11th minute
    v Tyrone - 8th minute

The latest Dublin have been level or behind in almost two championship season is the 27th minute
    Not even half time

These are ridiculous stats and just goes to show the difficulty posed for Mayo at the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stopping the 5 in a row would be as good as an all ireland

As a Donegal man who was there in 1992 and 2012 and again in 2014 watching us beat Dublin too then losing to Kerry, trust me on this one, nothing compares to winning an all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm sure it would but it aint gonna happen. Too much mental scarring and miles on the clock. Not to mentiona hugely inferior score conversion rate. Something like 90% v 40%. And a better team. And panel. Sorry Mayo folk but i dont do sentimentality. Sport is cruel. For some more than others. Quite nice for us Dubs actually. It's beautiful being a Dub, really.

Wasn't so beautiful between 1995 and 2011, until Bertie's millions gave them the kick-start needed.
    Don't worry, you'll get your comeuppance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Wasn't so beautiful between 1995 and 2011, until Bertie's millions gave them the kick-start needed.
    Don't worry, you'll get your comeuppance again.

I don't see this happening for 10+ years
    there's a conveyor belt of 'golden generations' coming through from the underage system in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I have to say - this ticketing fiasco, I cant make sense of it.

So yesterday, I wander down to the ticket office on Dorset Street thinking maybe they will have tickets.

You cant ring this office; the listed number goes to a voicemail that doesnt work.

So I get there, and there are 4 or 5 posters on the window saying "Mayo vs Dublin is SOLD OUT". Pretty clear, but I've gone all the way there so I might as well end the journey by going into the store.

Few young lads behind the counter - I am asking, will you be releasing more tickets tomorrow?

They are saying "highly unlikely, they are all gone now".

I leave it at that, go home. Sit in the garden, log onto tickets.ie. Dublin Mayo tickets are on sale. I pick up two tickets. This is less than half an hour later.

WTF?

What gets me here is that this is the only official ticket office. It is a five minute walk from GAA HQ.

Someone in HQ must know what tickets are available and when they will be released?

And yet they cant be bothered to walk down to, or phone, the ONLY ticket office they have available - to tell the people working there what the story is.

I would actually think at this point that the game will not be a sell out.

The issue here is the sheer inability to manage ticket sales in high volume, and personally - I dont think tickets.ie is the problem.

Again, why is this an issue? Because of the huge amount of peoples time that was wasted this week trying to buy tickets.

I don't see this happening for 10+ years
    there's a conveyor belt of 'golden generations' coming through from the underage system in Dublin

Really? Cork hockeyed them in the under 20s last week. And the minors were beaten by Kildare last month, I think. Do you mean younger than minors. You can't tell how a player will do at senior when they are only 16 or 17.

Really? Cork hockeyed them in the under 20s last week. And the minors were beaten by Kildare last month, I think. Do you mean younger than minors. You can't tell how a player will do at senior when they are only 16 or 17.

Once we have the 5 in a row secured we wont be that disappointed if we have a famine of a couple of years. We'll get through it as we're a resilient bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Did anyone hear the roadshow in Achill GAA club Newstalk did?
    It was unintentionally hilarious.

Liam Mchale, Billy-Joe Padden were try to convince themselves that Mayo have a real chance.
    Dublin won't expect the intensity from the off they are not used to it!
    Mayo just need to get five points ahead at half time.
    Mayo have a great chance if they are four points up in the last 15 minutes!

Sean Boylan was praising Mayo to the hilt calling them warriors - saying it is the best chance out of all the games Mayo recently played Dublin in.

The interviewer Nathan Murphy (from Mayo) was even trying his best to find ways to get Damien Comer to praise Mayo.

After listening to it you would be forgiven for thinking that Dublin should not bother turning up at all! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Once we have the 5 in a row secured we wont be that disappointed if we have a famine of a couple of years. We'll get through it as we're a resilient bunch.

Talent coming through is huge, people have to understand they will be blended with players who are already in the senior panel, this will continue the wheel. Dublin will be not be taken off the "Perch" for a good few years.

Tombo2001 wrote: »

So yesterday, I wander down to the ticket office on Dorset Street thinking maybe they will have tickets.

You cant ring this office; the listed number goes to a voicemail that doesnt work.

So I get there, and there are 4 or 5 posters on the window saying "Mayo vs Dublin is SOLD OUT". Pretty clear, but I've gone all the way there so I might as well end the journey by going into the store.

Few young lads behind the counter - I am asking, will you be releasing more tickets tomorrow?

I leave it at that, go home. Sit in the garden, log onto tickets.ie. Dublin Mayo tickets are on sale. I pick up two tickets. This is less than half an hour later.

WTF?

What gets me here is that this is the only official ticket office. It is a five minute walk from GAA HQ.

Someone in HQ must know what tickets are available and when they will be released?

And yet they cant be bothered to walk down to, or phone, the ONLY ticket office they have available - to tell the people working there what the story is.

The issue here is the sheer inability to manage ticket sales in high volume, and personally - I dont think tickets.ie is the problem.

Again, why is this an issue? Because of the huge amount of peoples time that was wasted this week trying to buy tickets.

Game is not yet sold out but will be after the ticket window sale today.

WTF?

Great point. I'd say I wasted about 10 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday about tickets. Online, texting to see if anything. Nipping down to couple of Supervalus to wait in the queue for a while, but with no joy. Eventually somebody else got me some upper level tickets, but I was delighted to get these "gold-dusted" tickets. During all of yesterday, I got 6 texts and 4 calls from people trying to get rid of tickets now. THey bought into the mayhem and just got their hands on whatever tickets they could get in fear of not getting any - clubs, online, shops. Such a ridiculas situation. It couldn't have been handled worse by the GAA. Even if they did a bit of a PR job on it, and got a delegate to monitor twitter and give regular updates on the ticket situation. But nothing.
    I genuinely think that there was an element of them purposely creating the ticket frenzy to try to put a bit of excitement into what is becoming a dwindling competition.

Great point. I'd say I wasted about 10 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday about tickets. Online, texting to see if anything. Nipping down to couple of Supervalus to wait in the queue for a while, but with no joy. Eventually somebody else got me some upper level tickets, but I was delighted to get these "gold-dusted" tickets. During all of yesterday, I got 6 texts and 4 calls from people trying to get rid of tickets now. THey bought into the mayhem and just got their hands on whatever tickets they could get in fear of not getting any - clubs, online, shops. Such a ridiculas situation. It couldn't have been handled worse by the GAA. Even if they did a bit of a PR job on it, and got a delegate to monitor twitter and give regular updates on the ticket situation. But nothing.
    I genuinely think that there was an element of them purposely creating the ticket frenzy to try to put a bit of excitement into what is becoming a dwindling competition.

Doubt that very much. There is massive excitement for this weekends semi finals.

Did anyone hear the roadshow in Achill GAA club Newstalk did?
    It was unintentionally hilarious.

Liam Mchale, Billy-Joe Padden were try to convince themselves that Mayo have a real chance.
    Dublin won't expect the intensity from the off they are not used to it!
    Mayo just need to get five points ahead at half time.
    Mayo have a great chance if they are four points up in the last 15 minutes!

Sean Boylan was praising Mayo to the hilt calling them warriors - saying it is the best chance out of all the games Mayo recently played Dublin in.

The interviewer Nathan Murphy (from Mayo was even trying his best to find ways to get Damien Comer to praise Mayo)

After listening to it you would be forgiven for thinking that Dublin should not bother turning up at all! :D

It was rather cultish the confidence on show. You'd swear they were playing Sligo or Leitrim or some other inferior team. We need to knock this crazy hope they seem to have against a team they lose about 90% of the time to. Time for a hammering to shut those McHale and Brady fruitcakes up.

That's great. But that's not what I was addressing. It was the quality of the Dublin underage set-up.

I know you're only new on here, but you're the equivalent of a national school second class girl, trying to butt into groups to tell them how wonderful you are that you managed to secure the student of the year award (after Mammy and Daddy had to have a word with the school master that they were worried how insecure and lonely you are because nobody loves you and your inability to keep up with the rest of the class).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Only if you are a bitter man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Doubt that very much. There is massive excitement for this weekends semi finals.

There may well be, but its still not sold out and as of now there are heaps of tickets available on Toutless.

I'd say a lot of people got stung on Tuesday buying more tickets than they needed, thinking there would be a shortage and lots of friends / family would take them, and are now finding out they cant get rid of them.

That's great. But that's not what I was addressing. It was the quality of the Dublin underage set-up.

I know you're only new on here, but you're the equivalent of a national school second class girl, trying to butt into groups to tell them how wonderful you are that you managed to secure the student of the year award (after Mammy and Daddy had to have a word with the school master that they were worried how insecure and lonely you are because nobody loves you and your inability to keep up with the rest of the class).

Haha i must have touched a nerve with such a defensive post. Cheer up pal. Its semi final weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

WTF?

I was forunate to get my tickets through a local club.
    But I joined specifically after being annoyed for years going through all this ticket messing (when I had no Parnell Pass anymore)

It is all typical GAA cloak and dagger stuff.
    I guarantee you those crowd in Dorset Street have bundles of tickets stashed away for insiders - then it is a nod and a wink and off they go.

I remember years ago when there was no GAA ticket office.
    As a Dub you used to have to get tickets at the DCB (again ringing them was hit and miss)
    But there was one year (think it was a big game v Armagh - long before internet tickets were a thing) the queues were massive.

Then after about an hour or so a fella in a bib goes walking down the line telling people there were "no tickets left"!
    "All gone" says yer man.

Some fell for it and left the queue
    I knew well what he was at, and stayed in the queue.
    Then eventually got my tickets.

GAA messing with tickets will always go on - it is part of the culture of the GAA.
    And the more things change the more things stay the same.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement