Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    All those years those Super 8s have been going on for, eh Frank?

:pac: :pac:

Its called foresight. WE KNEW !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

jr86 wrote: »
    Aidan O'Shea probably the first that comes to mind.

I reckon he'd find it difficult walking down the street/to go out anywhere across the country, without being mobbed for photos. Michael Murphy to an extent too. Joe Canning in hurling

Very few others I can think of

Really though? I am talking about the ordinary person in the street who would have a passing interest in sport but could tell you instantly who Johnny Sexton is for example.

Not sure if Aidan OShea would be mobbed on Grafton street with people looking for pics :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Fann Linn wrote: »
    All those years those Super 8s have been going on for, eh Frank?

What's that got to do with it? As long as its there, it suits Dublin perfectly.

You seem to have a serious issue with facts from what I can see. Facts like Dublin's two home games in the super8s to everyone else's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Yep.

Along with a few other counties kept the GAA going when Brits and RCC tried to destroy it. Survived the Tans who used to go for rest and recreation in the rest of Leinster, and a few years without Sam.

We'll be fine. don't any of you be worrying. I'm sure you will all enjoy our fall when it comes, in the absence of anything positive about the places most of you come from :)

Longford of all places would have a thing to say about the tans having it easy in the rest of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The idea that Dublin might have a famine after the 5 in a row is simply laughable.

I don't believe there will be a 'famine'.
    But I believe the wheels can come off the train very quickly with the wrong management team and wrong mix of players.
    Fellas who sulk and cause hassle, not putting the effort in etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

You could add Howard, Small and Costello to that list.

That said, several of the older players are only in their early 30s and given how they can be rested for several games, also have years in them yet.

The idea that Dublin might have a famine after the 5 in a row is simply laughable.

Scully, Small eile, Murchan, Lowndes, Davy Byrne - I was merely being generous with such a small list :pac:

You're spot on overall. there is basically zero chance of Dublin undergoing any sort of famine anytime soon

The likes of Cooper, Rock and McCarthy probably have about 5 more years in them too as you allude to. Maybe more

That said, several of the older players are only in their early 30s and given how they can be rested for several games, also have years in them yet.

I didnt realise all these "older" players were rested for the whole championship and have brought back in especially to take of those upstarts from the West..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I would say Dublin have four current starting players who will go down as all time greats and who Dublin would feel their absense most if missing through injury ; Cluxton, McCaffrey, Fenton and Kilkenny. Just below them in importance and influence i would have O Sullivan, McCarthy, Con and Mannion. There are no passengers on this Dublin team but i have never been fully convinced by Fitzimmons, John Small or MDMA. Great servants and players but these three are accident waiting to happen imo. I dont fully trust them.

Longford of all places would have a thing to say about the tans having it easy in the rest of Leinster.

Completely agree. The RIC also abandoned most of the rest of the country during the War of Independence because of the IRA and retreated to barracks in urban centres like Dublin.

More Dublin centric revisionism not supported by history or facts!

kilns wrote: »
    Really though? I am talking about the ordinary person in the street who would have a passing interest in sport but could tell you instantly who Johnny Sexton is for example.

Not sure if Aidan OShea would be mobbed on Grafton street with people looking for pics :P

Aidan O'Shea is extremely recognisable. Much more so than Johnny Sexton across the country tbh.

O'Shea has more social media followers than him for one. And Sexton would be known beyond Ireland (admittedly not by the average joe on the street)

• Advertisement

Maybe a 2 or 3 year famine. Never go back to 10 or 15 year gaps between wins. Those days are over.

What's that got to do with it? As long as its there, it suits Dublin perfectly.

You seem to have a serious issue with facts from what I can see. Facts like Dublin's two home games in the super8s to everyone else's one.

Its swings and roundabouts, the Mayo of a few years ago would have went to Kilarney and won and they too would have been in a position to rest up in the 3rd game. Mayo have had a long hard season because they werent good enough in many games and therefore they have to battle harder. Its the same in any sport, Ireland in the Rugby world cup will be in the same situation, after the first game they can rest players for the next 4 games and prepare for their q-final.

I didnt realise all these "older" players were rested for the whole championship and have brought back in especially to take of those upstarts from the West..

I didn't say rested the whole championship. I said rested for games such as last week. They've rotated most of the team. The benefit of having two home games to start off your super8s campaign.

Aidan O'Shea is extremely recognisable. Much more so than Johnny Sexton across the country tbh.

O'Shea has more social media followers than him for one. And Sexton would be known beyond Ireland (admittedly not by the average joe on the street)

Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree but you would have to be into your GAA to know Aidan O´Shea I still maintain

I didn't say rested the whole championship. I said rested for games such as last week. They've rotated most of the team. The benefit of having two home games to start off your super8s campaign.

You said rested several games

Home games yawn, do you think the result would have been different if Dublin played Cork or Roscommon anywhere in Ireland, would they still have won with ease of course they would have

Maybe a 2 or 3 year famine. Never go back to 10 or 15 year gaps between wins. Those days are over.

Simply no evidence that will happen either. Not in the modern game and not in the Super8s era.

If they win the Leinster Championship, they are immediately at a huge advantage to the rest as they play their first two Super8 games at home.

So the shock defeat will have to come in Leinster. After observing the last few years in Leinster, do you see a sign of that?

Simply no evidence that will happen either. Not in the modern game and not in the Super8s era.

If they win the Leinster Championship, they are immediately at a huge advantage to the rest as they play their first two Super8 games at home.

So the shock defeat will have to come in Leinster. After observing the last few years in Leinster, do you see a sign of that?

Dublin wont be playing two games inCroke Park in Super 8s after next year. It will definately be changed. I never agreed with it. Dub or no Dub that is ridiculous advantage and it needs to go.

You are like a broken record with your home advantage, I presume you wont bother turning up or watching the game on Sunday because Dublin are at home and Mayo have zero chance....but hey if it was Castlebar the odds would change but would they really :rolleyes:

Usually in sport the best team wins no matter where the game is played

You are like a broken record with your home advantage, I presume you wont bother turning up or watching the game on Sunday because Dublin are at home and Mayo have zero chance....but hey if it was Castlebar the odds would change but would they really :rolleyes:

You can be sure the odds would be different if game was in Castlebar. Perhaps Dublin would be 2/5 or 1/3 but definately shorter than 1/5.

Plus this has already being covered ad nauseam on this thread and other threads.
    It was voted at at congress and rejected.
    By a very large majority too.

I assume tobefrank123 is busy lobbying his local clubs and county board to make sure they get a motion passed next time (as I suggested he should do instead of whining on here about it every chance he gets - wasting his energy when he should be lobbying like I told him too) :D

• Advertisement

You can be sure the odds would be different if game was in Castlebar. Perhaps Dublin would be 2/5 or 1/3 but definately shorter than 5/1.

Dublin would still be raging hot favourites however, the home advantage thing is currently mute as Dublin are far superior than every other team on form and would go anywhere and win but if they are weaker than yes that is when home advantage can benefit them but it will change next year in any case and rightly so , more for the fans than anything

Horsemanure.

In every sport, there are a relatively equal number of home and away games.

I can't think of any sport where one team has home advantage for the vast majority of its games.

Look, I'm going to stick you on ignore. I was trying to discuss with another poster why Dublin might or might not have a famine after this year. It was a pretty good discussion until you got involved.

That and the fact you disappeared for a week when I showed your 4% stat for foreign national children in Dublin was bullsh*t. No apology or admitting you were wrong.

You can be sure the odds would be different if game was in Castlebar. Perhaps Dublin would be 2/5 or 1/3 but definately shorter than 5/1.

I want it played in New York....

I enjoy away games and surely the traffic can not be as bad as it was outside Omagh last week? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Horsemanure.

In every sport, there are a relatively equal number of home and away games.

I can't think of any sport where one team has home advantage for the vast majority of its games.

Look, I'm going to stick you on ignore. I was trying to discuss with another poster why Dublin might or might not have a famine after this year. It was a pretty good discussion until you got involved.

That and the fact you disappeared for a week when I showed your 4% stat for foreign national children in Dublin was bullsh*t. No apology or admitting you were wrong.

You and logical discussions :D:D

I will leave you to it as you have a huge chip on your shoulder that i guess will never be removed

By the way I was away on business and holidays and the 4% is factually correct when broken down

Good luck and not too many tears on Saturday if you lose and be a good winner if you win on Saturday

I want it played in New York....

I enjoy away games and surely the traffic can not be as bad as it was outside Omagh last week? Fuhgeddaboudit!

An away game v New York odds would be 1/100,000,000 so fuhgeddaboudit!

Plus this has already being covered ad nauseam on this thread and other threads.
    It was voted at at congress and rejected.
    By a very large majority too.

I assume tobefrank123 is busy lobbying his local clubs and county board to make sure they get a motion passed next time (as I suggested he should do instead of whining on here about it every chance he gets - wasting his energy when he should be lobbying like I told him too) :D

As I explained before clubs and county boards toe the party line. They're hopeless and just do what Croker tells them. Not surprising as they depend on funds from Croker. Which is why the Leinster Council members regularly voted to keep Dublin in Croker, there was an explicit threat of a drop in money if Dublin were taken out. Gun to the head stuff.

Dublin meanwhile had their funds ringfenced from government, thanks to Bertie, even during the recession! :rolleyes:

As I explained before clubs and county boards toe the party line. They're hopeless and just do what Croker tells them. Not surprising as they depend on funds from Croker. Which is why the Leinster Council members regularly voted to keep Dublin in Croker, there was an explicit threat of a drop in money if Dublin were taken out. Gun to the head stuff.

Dublin meanwhile had their funds ringfenced from government, thanks to Bertie, even during the recession! :rolleyes:

Did you listen to Sean Kelly on the GAA hour?

olm 'Wooly' Parkinson discussed that on his podcast the GAA hour

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports-T...icId=129541521

(See Feb 25th 2019)

Sean Kelly @21:00 was interviewed he said it was a problem with the wording of Donegal's motion was too negative and all embracing.

'No team could nominate Croke Park as thier home venue'

A Meath delegate said they would be precluded from using Croke Park (If Páirc Tailteann was unavailable) given the wording of the Donegal motion - so they were against it.

Kelly said that what they should/could have done as a motion -
    was:

Let teams nominate thier home venue.
    Play first game at home, the second away, and the third game
    - coin toss between competing counties/neutral venue agreed between competing counties.

That is the one Kelly would like to see next year and thinks it would be fairest.

It will be sorted next year and you will have to find something else to be frank about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Scully, Small eile, Murchan, Lowndes, Davy Byrne - I was merely being generous with such a small list :pac:

You're spot on overall. there is basically zero chance of Dublin undergoing any sort of famine anytime soon

The likes of Cooper, Rock and McCarthy probably have about 5 more years in them too as you allude to. Maybe more

If theoretically I was a decent intercounty footballer, I would definately have sleeples nights if I was coming up against the likes of Fenton, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, McCaffrey, Costello etc. But if I were to be playing Dublin, and told the day beforehand that I'd be marking one of Scully, Small eile, Murchan, Lowndes or Davy Byrne - I wouldn't be going out for a few pints, but I would certainly sleep easy.

Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree but you would have to be into your GAA to know Aidan O´Shea I still maintain

Well I guess it depends where you're from too

I'd imagine the average Dublin person may struggle to recognise him yes. GAA isn't nearly as mainstream in the capital and obviously there are famous people everywhere up there.

However he'd be instantly recognisable throughout the West of Ireland and most rural counties. he's the closest thing to celebrity status I've seen in a GAA player along with Joe canning anyway. Constant media appearances, huge social media following etc.

• Advertisement

If theoretically I was a decent intercounty footballer, I would definately have sleeples nights if I was coming up against the likes of Fenton, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, McCaffrey, Costello etc. But if I were to be playing Dublin, and told the day beforehand that I'd be marking one of Scully, Small eile, Murchan, Lowndes or Davy Byrne - I wouldn't be going out for a few pints, but I would certainly sleep easy.

Agree with this. The support cast is solid but nothing out of the ordinary. Although i would drop Scully from that list. Even the thoughts of running after him all day has me dizzy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement