Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

If theoretically I was a decent intercounty footballer, I would definately have sleeples nights if I was coming up against the likes of Fenton, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, McCaffrey, Costello etc. But if I were to be playing Dublin, and told the day beforehand that I'd be marking one of Scully, Small eile, Murchan, Lowndes or Davy Byrne - I wouldn't be going out for a few pints, but I would certainly sleep easy.

Well they're hardly going to have 15 all time greats at any given time

But these are all players who have played their part in All Ireland wins and still have the guts of a decade left at the top. All fine footballers in their own right who will always complement their 5 or 6 top marquee players with ease

The conversation about a potential Dublin "decline" (which I don't see happening in years and years) is lightyears away, is the point I'm making. They'll constantly have serious talent coming through. The team that lined out last sunday would beat the vast majority of teams in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

jr86 wrote: »
    Well I guess it depends where you're from too

I'd imagine the average Dublin person may struggle to recognise him yes. GAA isn't nearly as mainstream in the capital and obviously there are famous people everywhere up there.

However he'd be instantly recognisable throughout the West of Ireland and most rural counties. he's the closest thing to celebrity status I've seen in a GAA player along with Joe canning anyway. Constant media appearances, huge social media following etc.

Of course as rural Ireland would have a much bigger following of GAA than urban Dublin percentage wise.

I guess the problem with hurling is that the helmets hide their faces so it is harder to market.

I just remember back to the 90s when Sherlock come on the scene, he was a superstar and everyone instantly knew him, leading to TV gigs etc and this was before social media. Even OShea has not reached those levels but I think the GAA should be marketing the likes of OShea etc more but I guess its a fine line as image rights would come into and money soon follows etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

But these are all players who have played their part in All Ireland wins and still have the guts of a decade left at the top. All fine footballers in their own right who will always complement their 5 or 6 top marquee players with ease

The conversation about a potential Dublin "decline" (which I don't see happening in years and years) is lightyears away, is the point I'm making. They'll constantly have serious talent coming through. The team that lined out last sunday would beat the vast majority of teams in Ireland

The team last week would beat 20 + teams in the country but not the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal or Kerry. Lets wait and see if more marquee players come through over the next 1-5 years or whether we'll get solid, good players but not the type of special player we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

kilns wrote: »
    Of course as rural Ireland would have a much bigger following of GAA than urban Dublin percentage wise.

I guess the problem with hurling is that the helmets hide their faces so it is harder to market.

I just remember back to the 90s when Sherlock come on the scene, he was a superstar and everyone instantly knew him, leading to TV gigs etc and this was before social media. Even OShea has not reached those levels but I think the GAA should be marketing the likes of OShea etc more but I guess its a fine line as image rights would come into and money soon follows etc etc

The GAA are terrible at marketing, really poor. They just don't bother except the odd time like the 125 celebrations or 1916 commemoration.
    It sould be the the norm rather than the exception.
    You would think they would learn from the way SKY hype all sorts of soccer games up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The team last week would beat 20 + teams in the country but not the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal or Kerry. Lets wait and see if more marquee players come through over the next 1-5 years or whether we'll get solid, good players but not the type of special player we have now.

Does it matter? There are 6 or 7 marquee players there now that will be more than likely still there in 5 years

Even allowing for injury/drop in form for 2 or 3 of them, its still as likely 2 and 3 will come and fill their place.

And on the cycle will continue

• Advertisement

Since Jim Gavin took over in 2013 the average age of the squad had slowly increased but dramatically. From the players who played against Meath in the Leinster final the average age was 27.2. Yes you could argue take Cluxton out and it brings it down but if do that you have to balance your statistic and take the youngest out too and then re-take the average, which roughly stays the same. According to Gaelic stats, a Gaelic football has their peak years between 23 and 27, which would explain Dublins current dominance but they quickly decline after 28 for some reason (burn out I would guess) so solely based on statistics this Dublin squad next year would be averag ages over 28 and should be showing signs of decline with no real evidence of younger players coming through to dislodge the current squad.

Aside from that, you would expect if Dublin do win this years All Ireland a few may step away, most notably Cluxton. Cluxton in particular is important to Dublin as a leader and obviously his ability with the ball. This would be a huge loss to Dublin and one that should not be underestimated. Comerford is the guy holding the number 16 jersey, remains to be seen how succesful he will be, he had a poor league when given a chance but played well against Tyrone. In the modern game, we have seen how important the goalkeeper now is, just look at Mayo, lack of a overall good all round goalkeeper has cost them in the past.

The GAA are terrible at marketing, really poor. They just don't bother except the odd time like the 125 celebrations or 1916 commemoration.
    It sould be the the norm rather than the exception.
    You would think they would learn from the way SKY hype all sorts of soccer games up.

Yes they put zero effort in, I just remember the All Ireland Hurling final in 2017 and they had John Spillane on at half time singing depressing ballads!!! It was cringey, they should be doing something big considering it is the highlight of the year.

Does it matter? There are 6 or 7 marquee players there now that will be more than likely still there in 5 years

Even allowing for injury/drop in form for 2 or 3 of them, its still as likely 2 and 3 will come and fill their place.

And on the cycle will continue

Will they still be there in 5years? We dont know for sure. Our main man Cluxton probably be gone next year. Philly and Cooper wont be around much longer. Bernard, Paddy Andrews, Connolly and Kev Mac the end oftheroad is in sight. Flynn gone. These guys you just dont replace like for like. Im not playing the poor mouth, far from it. Great times to be aDub. We have been spoiled with all this success and hopefully there is more to come but lets not take it for granted. All empires come to an end eventually.

Tomorrows match is now a sell-out according to the GAA on Twitter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Tomorrows match is now a sell-out according to the GAA on Twitter.

Yeah I told everyone yesterday what time final tickets were going back on sale today 1700 tickets went quite quickly.

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »
    Yes they put zero effort in, I just remember the All Ireland Hurling final in 2017 and they had John Spillane on at half time singing depressing ballads!!! It was cringey, they should be doing something big considering it is the highlight of the year.

Bring back the old days half time entertainment when the Artane Boys Band or some singer belted out both teams county songs. Simple but nice. Too much noise in Croke Park these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I was forunate to get my tickets through a local club.
    But I joined specifically after being annoyed for years going through all this ticket messing (when I had no Parnell Pass anymore)

It is all typical GAA cloak and dagger stuff.
    I guarantee you those crowd in Dorset Street have bundles of tickets stashed away for insiders - then it is a nod and a wink and off they go.

I remember years ago when there was no GAA ticket office.
    As a Dub you used to have to get tickets at the DCB (again ringing them was hit and miss)
    But there was one year (think it was a big game v Armagh - long before internet tickets were a thing) the queues were massive.

Then after about an hour or so a fella in a bib goes walking down the line telling people there were "no tickets left"!
    "All gone" says yer man.

Some fell for it and left the queue
    I knew well what he was at, and stayed in the queue.
    Then eventually got my tickets.

GAA messing with tickets will always go on - it is part of the culture of the GAA.
    And the more things change the more things stay the same.

That was the 2002 game.

I was working in Arnotts at the time so always got my tickets that way. Dead handy. Until that game and all of a sudden it was chaos.

I only got one for that for the Hill. Managed to convince one of the bandwagoners in my dept to give me his one.

Between then and the launch of the ST was just a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

To be fair its been a poor championship as has been a number of championships the last few years.

The pundits have to hype up something to justify their wages.

Watching Dublin cakewalk to championship after championship year in year out is boring for the neutral.

All I can say is people should be thankful for a Mayo v Dublin game at this stage of the season.

The fixture is the only thing keeping Senior IC on life support at the minute. Without it, gaelic football would be completely screwed.

Make Gaelic Football great again .,,

I do like a prediction. Here's mine, Dublin 3-17 v Mayo 2-10.

Dublin 3-18 Mayo 0-14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Yeah I told everyone yesterday what time final tickets were going back on sale today 1700 tickets went quite quickly.

It might be sold out, as in no more tickets available for sale by the GAA or tickets.ie. But there are many, many tickets for sale down in Mayo, where people tried to get hold of whatever tickets they could on Tuesday and Wednesday - online and in shops. And then also got them from clubs yesterday. The ticket frenzy worked out well for the GAA. Of course, that wasn't pre-planned by them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I want it played in New York....

I enjoy away games and surely the traffic can not be as bad as it was outside Omagh last week? Fuhgeddaboudit!

You only ended up in the bad traffic because you went the wrong way. Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I think the beard experiment thing or whatever it's supposed to be hasn't worked for Enda.

Has disappeared off the face of the earth since losing the top job. Look where he ends up. He's as bad as David Brady.

• Advertisement

Has disappeared off the face of the earth since losing the top job. Look where he ends up. He's as bad as David Brady.

Ah I think he'll be alright with his big pension. Taoisigh tend to fall of the face of the earth, eg Cowen, Bertie, etc.

Ah I think he'll be alright with his big pension. Taoisigh tend to fall of the face of the earth, eg Cowen, Bertie, etc.

No doubt he'll be alright living off the fat of the land. Bertie is always around and about and on radio frequently.

No doubt he'll be alright living off the fat of the land. Bertie is always around and about and on radio frequently.

Yeh Bertie is and was great :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the football..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I dont buy the vaughan one personally. I dont believe he was going to send small off to be honest with you, I felt he was going to give him a last warning. Vaughan going in made it easier to just red card them both.

I see dubs are on selling sites looking for tickets for the final already. The overconfidence is seeping in and you never know it until it's too late. Stopping the 5 in a row would be as good as an all ireland
    Stopping another team winning the all Ireland would be as good as your own county winning their first all Ireland in 68 years

That there is one of the most tragic things I've seen posted on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Yeh Bertie is and was great :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the football..

Ah Jaysus, don't differentiate between Bertie and the football.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bertie-ahern-explains-how-he-helped-finance-the-dublin-gaa-revolution-37366135.html

We wouldn't be here debating about a drive for 5 without Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It might be sold out, as in no more tickets available for sale by the GAA or tickets.ie. But there are many, many tickets for sale down in Mayo, where people tried to get hold of whatever tickets they could on Tuesday and Wednesday - online and in shops. And then also got them from clubs yesterday. The ticket frenzy worked out well for the GAA. Of course, that wasn't pre-planned by them!!!!

Clubs down here are going to be rightly stung by this. Clubs have to pay for them regardless of whether the individuals who ordered them collect and pay for them. Total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Clubs down here are going to be rightly stung by this. Clubs have to pay for them regardless of whether the individuals who ordered them collect and pay for them. Total mess.

Same individuals should be blacklisted in relation to future ticket allocations going forward if they fail to pay their dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My dad was telling me today that he knows of clubs down here who sent some tickets to Dublin today to get rid of them as they can't be left with the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You can be sure the odds would be different if game was in Castlebar. Perhaps Dublin would be 2/5 or 1/3 but definately shorter than 1/5.

Nah, we haven't lost in Castlebar for years. I think we have a better record down there this decade than in Croke Park against Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When the core of this Dublin team start dipping/retire that will be the real test.
    When Jim Gavin steps down as well, the new fella who comes in will be under terrible pressure not to make a balls of it in the few years after.

Like when the Kerry team of the 80's broke up, Micko left etc
    When Boylan left Meath the slide started quickly.

I think it is almost impossible for Dublin to find a core of players as good as the stalwarts.
    There is bound to be a dip in quality.

Agree with this. Have a look at the players used in the 2013 All-Ireland final:

1 Stephen Cluxton (c)
    2 Philly McMahon
    3 Rory O'Carroll
    4 Jonny Cooper
    5 James McCarthy
    6 Ger Brennan
    7 Jack McCaffrey
    8 Michael Darragh MacAuley
    9 Cian O'Sullivan
    10 Paul Flynn
    11 Ciarán Kilkenny
    12 Diarmuid Connolly
    13 Paul Mannion
    14 Paddy Andrews
    15 Bernard Brogan
    Substitutes Used:
    25 Eoghan O'Gara for Mannion (16 mins)
    20 Darren Daly for McCaffrey (half-time)
    26 Dean Rock for Kilkenny (42 mins)
    22 Kevin McManamon for Andrews (49 mins)
    17 Denis Bastick for Cooper (53 mins)

Only three of that 20 - Bastick, Flynn and Brennan - haven't seen Championship action this year. There is a good chance that all 17 will feature in a match-day squad again if Dublin get to the Final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement