Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nah, we haven't lost in Castlebar for years. I think we have a better record down there this decade than in Croke Park against Mayo.

Maybe so but the odds would be shorter thats all im saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nah, we haven't lost in Castlebar for years. I think we have a better record down there this decade than in Croke Park against Mayo.

I think the only thing that can save Mayo on Saturday is heavy fog, not to get the game abandoned this time - like a few years ago.
    Just heavy fog in the direction Dublin are shooting.

Because it would be a real leveller.
    Cos those Mayo forwards shoot like there is a heavy fog in front of them, most of the time! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cb12345

Terrace tickets now available for Dublin V Mayo on on tickets.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You'd get them on the cheap tomorrow, if a man was brave enough to wait. Maybe even freebies.

You'd get them on the cheap tomorrow, if a man was brave enough to wait. Maybe even freebies.

Never failed to.get a ticket for a game i wanted to see. And i often strolled into town without one. I never worry about tickets.

• Advertisement

Never failed to.get a ticket for a game i wanted to see. And i often strolled into town without one. I never worry about tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

Mayo lost to Kerry by 10 points just a short while ago, they barely beat Down and Armagh and lost to Roscommon. They have no chance tomorrow, don't get the hype at all. The other game is far more interesting. I'm actually expecting a high scoring affair!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Gachla wrote: »
    Mayo lost to Kerry by 10 points just a short while ago, they barely beat Down and Armagh and lost to Roscommon. They have no chance tomorrow, don't get the hype at all. The other game is far more interesting. I'm actually expecting a high scoring affair!

That’s what Mayo have always done, ten point loss aside. They had similar struggles in qualifiers in ‘16 and ‘17, Cork when they were really poor should have beaten them. No reason to believe Mayo won’t do what they have always done tomorrow which is give Dublin a right battle.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That’s what Mayo have always done, ten point loss aside. They had similar struggles in qualifiers in ‘16 and ‘17, Cork when they were really poor should have beaten them. No reason to believe Mayo won’t do what they have always done tomorrow which is give Dublin a right battle.

There's plenty of reasons. The age of the top Mayo players for one, being destroyed by Kerry can't be ignored, Dublin are better than they were then, the list goes on.
    Many feel sorry for Mayo and their supporters, constantly getting their hopes up only to have them smashed but they kind of bring it on themselves. The hype carries them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

There's plenty of reasons. The age of the top Mayo players for one, being destroyed by Kerry can't be ignored, Dublin are better than they were then, the list goes on.
    Many feel sorry for Mayo and their supporters, constantly getting their hopes up only to have them smashed but they kind of bring it on themselves. The hype carries them away.

What metric are you using to say Dublin are better?

They haven’t had a tough game since the AI final in 2017.

Everyone was saying Donegal were the only team to trouble Dublin this year.
    Mayo dismantled them.
    Donegal drew with Kerry.
    Kerry gave mayo a good beating but mayo had beaten them twice already this year
    Look at the results vs Meath.
    Meath were within a point of all three after 55/60 minutes and were beaten in the end by 9,9 and 8 points.
    That’s a line of form..
    You can’t draw a line through the form of Mayo usually though.

Against poor opposition, they play down to their level, when their backs are against the wall, they raise their game as we saw last Saturday.

I think mayo plus 6 is a great bet.

I predict a level game at 65 mins after being ahead at Ht and Dublin’s stronger bench to see them through.
    Heart says mayo by 1.
    Head says Dublin by 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Gachla wrote:
    A lot of the "hype" comes from social media, not from the Mayo camp.
    Ex players, so called journalists rehashing the same sh*te year in year out. And the comment sections full of know it alls taking the piss.

Most Mayo people are actually realistic. Expecting the worst and hoping for the best. A league win and a semi final is a huge step in the right direction from last year.

The flags, the Mayo4Sam (insert year here), the one flute you'll find in a jersey no matter where you go is fans supporting their team and enjoying the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Must have missed the game where Mayo dismantled Donegal. Is it up on the rte player? What date was it? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Slattsy wrote: »
    Must have missed the game where Mayo dismantled Donegal. Is it up on the rte player? What date was it? Cheers.

It was on Sky so it's not on the RTE Player.

Slattsy wrote: »

It’s on YouTube im sure

Watch it again.

Dodgy penalty given and mayos inaccuracy flattered donegal.

4 point win - should have been 14

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It’s on YouTube im sure

Watch it again.

I wish I was drunk too. Enjoy your night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It’s on YouTube im sure

Watch it again.

So they were inaccurate and scored less points than you think they should have but they dismantled them?

I don't understand.

It’s on YouTube im sure

Watch it again.

I saw it. Donegal hit 6 wides in a row in 2nd half when only one point behind and also Murphy dropped a very scoreable free in to the keepers hands. They also had a nice wind at their backs. Donegal had plenty of chances and ended up with 1-10, a score which i'd be disappointed if Dublin dont have up by half time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mayo dismantled them.
    Donegal drew with Kerry.
    Meath were within a point of all three after 55/60 minutes and were beaten in the end by 9,9 and 8 points.
    That’s a line of form..

Against poor opposition, they play down to their level, when their backs are against the wall, they raise their game as we saw last Saturday.

I predict a level game at 65 mins after being ahead at Ht and Dublin’s stronger bench to see them through.
    Heart says mayo by 1.
    Head says Dublin by 2

The metric being used is that Dublin are unbeaten in the championship since the AISF 2014 and are currently going for 5 in a row.

We are rightly rip roaring favourites. Doesn't mean that Mayo won't put it up to us or can't win.

Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

It’s on YouTube im sure

Watch it again.

Sounds like when dublin met mayo in the league.

The metric being used is that Dublin are unbeaten in the championship since the AISF 2014 and are currently going for 5 in a row.

We are rightly rip roaring favourites. Doesn't mean that Mayo won't put it up to us or can't win.

Relax.

Im very relaxed and agree with all you’ve said.

its a discussion forum and isn’t meant to be an echo chamber.

Mayo dismantled donegal physically on the day.
    Tackles and turnovers won.
    Shot* selection must be better

• Advertisement

You can't blame, and you should not blame fans for getting excited about their team.

With the exception of the Roscommon and Kerry games Mayo have spent the summer winning must win games, wee after week
    As the weeks go on interest has obviously increased.
    And when they beat a favorite like Donegal it only added to the excitement.

Now they find themselves in SF against Dublin, and this decade they are the team that have asked the most questions of Dublin.

Most fans are looking at this game in hope more than expectation.

I think people like yourself who complain about the so call Mayo hype come from counties who only wish they had a team with Mayo's level of consistency and performance.

They have been delivering fantastic days for fans since 2011

I thank them for that and will never apologize for enjoying it.

Mayo dismantled them.
    Donegal drew with Kerry.
    That’s a line of form..

Heart says mayo by 1.
    Head says Dublin by 2

It's the hope that kills you.

You can't blame, and you should not blame fans for getting excited about their team.

With the exception of the Roscommon and Kerry games Mayo have spent the summer winning must win games, wee after week
    As the weeks go on interest has obviously increased.
    And when they beat a favorite like Donegal it only added to the excitement.

Now they find themselves in SF against Dublin, and this decade they are the team that have asked the most questions of Dublin.

Most fans are looking at this game in hope more than expectation.

I think people like yourself who complain about the so call Mayo hype come from counties who only wish they had a team with Mayo's level of consistency and performance.

They have been delivering fantastic days for fans since 2011

I thank them for that and will never apologize for enjoying it.

I'm not complaining! Go ahead and enjoy it. I hope you win. What I'm saying is that the Mayo fans are building themselves up again and they're going to fall, yet again. Everyone else knows the script but Mayo fans can't help but fall into this trap. You keep fooling yourselves into thinking this time it's ours.

I'm not complaining! Go ahead and enjoy it. I hope you win. What I'm saying is that the Mayo fans are building themselves up again and they're going to fall, yet again. Everyone else knows the script but Mayo fans can't help but fall into this trap. You keep fooling yourselves into thinking this time it's ours.

But what's wrong with getting excited about the game ?

I don't see it as a trap, I see it as a gift.

I pity you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I don't know where this so called hype about Mayo is.
    We have a team back in a semi-final against the reigning champions. We have never backed away from the challenge of Dublin (unlike plenty of other teams who are afraid to even try). Even though it's now 7 years since we last beat them, we don't fear them.
    A lot of those close games could have gone our way, so of course we'll go there thinking we can beat them, otherwise, what's the point?

Do we want to just coronate Dublin as 5-in-row champions now?
    No f***** chance, if they are to do it, they'll have to earn it, and we'll applaud them afterwards if that's the case.

No doubt it's the toughest game of the year, but it hasn't started yet. We have belief in our boys, and we'll cheer them on til the final whistle.

Hon Mayo

Without a doubt Mayo fans go a little overboard with how confident they get when playing Dublin. You only had to listen to Off The Ball from Achill where ex players like McHale, Willie Joe Padden expect a Mayo victory. McHale basically wrote Dublin off. It's bizarre confidence or blind loyalty at times. If i was a Mayo man i'd be very worried about tomorrow and after all the big losses i'd have lost a lot of faith in the team. Seems the opposite for a lot of Mayo people. The more harrowing and gallant losses the more confidence they get for the next big game. They celebrate and accept defeat like no other county. That might sound harsh but thats how i see it.

But what's wrong with getting excited about the game ?

I don't see it as a trap, I see it as a gift.

I pity you.

What? Bit of an overreaction there!

I didn't say there's anything wrong with anything. Keep on the hype train if you want but don't start crying when it crashes again.

What? Bit of an overreaction there!

I didn't say there's anything wrong with anything. Keep on the hype train if you want but don't start crying when it crashes again.

But I don't cry when it crashes, most Mayo fans don't.

Crying would be a normal emotion with all the heartache ye've suffered. Its the never ending, crazy optimism that i dont really get but hey we're all different.

• Advertisement

It's a tragic tale really. Hopefully, it ends one day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement