Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Can you get pints if yer in the nally stand folks? Donkeys years since I've been there, usually dont bother with a pub before matches n go for a couple at the hogan. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

With the respective buildups to this weekend ya would nearly forget that there is a second semi final on Sunday!
    This year and last we have had great hurling semi final weekends. I think we could get something similar in the football this weekend with the countries 4 best teams going at it.

Hopefully the weather doesn't take away from the quality of the games but I'm really looking forward to both games regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Crying would be a normal emotion with all the heartache ye've suffered. Its the never ending, crazy optimism that i dont really get but hey we're all different.

Where's all this optimism you're talking about?

Haven't seen too much of it,brute realism on the whole is all I've seen re the task that faces us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

seligehgit wrote: »
    Where's all this optimism you're talking about?

Haven't seen too much of it,brute realism on the whole is all I've seen re the task that faces us.

I've been listening to it from Mayo folk for the last 7 or 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've been listening to it from Mayo folk for the last 7 or 8 years.

Why are ya so worried about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

With the respective buildups to this weekend ya would nearly forget that there is a second semi final on Sunday!
    This year and last we have had great hurling semi final weekends. I think we could get something similar in the football this weekend with the countries 4 best teams going at it.

Hopefully the weather doesn't take away from the quality of the games but I'm really looking forward to both games regardless.

Makes it all the more bizarre that they decided to lump both sets of semi finals into one weekend for hurling and football.

Each should be on stand alone weekend as in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Why are ya so worried about it?

Im not worried one iota. Thanks for asking, though.

I like the enthusiasm and optimism of Mayo supporters. Nothing wrong with wearing your expectations and disappointments on your sleeve.

We'll be dead long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mayo have great supporters. I hope they win tomorrow as most neutrals do. I doubt they are expecting to win but they will travel with hope and they have the players to pose plenty of problems for Dublin. I’m not seeing this hype and over exuberance that is being referred to here tbh.

Safe travels to all over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Crying would be a normal emotion with all the heartache ye've suffered. Its the never ending, crazy optimism that i dont really get but hey we're all different.

As another poster asked "Where is the crazy optimism" ?

But it's easy to see why Mayo fans are optimistic about this incarnation of Mayo football in general

It's the players, and the setup, and the attitude.

I look back at the 2004 and 2006 seasons with sheer horror.
    In 2004 they got hammered by a great team, but to go out again two years later and get hammered again was just criminal.

Compare that to this decade.
    Kerry beat them by 9 in 2011 and 10 this year
    Dublin beat them by 7 in a replay in 2015.
    But other than that they have been ultra competitive.

Just when you think they are done, back they come the next year, and that will be the case again in 2020 regardless of what happens tomorrow.

It's great to have as a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gachla wrote: »
    I'm not complaining! Go ahead and enjoy it. I hope you win. What I'm saying is that the Mayo fans are building themselves up again and they're going to fall, yet again. Everyone else knows the script but Mayo fans can't help but fall into this trap. You keep fooling yourselves into thinking this time it's ours.

I don't think Mayo fans are building themselves up, other years they were bullish.

Now they have to say -

1) If Mayo get at them in the first 20 minutes

2) If Mayo get ahead by 5 at half time

3) If Mayo are ahead by 4 with 15 to go

4) If Mayo bring intensity the whole game

5) If Dublin are not used to the intensity

6) If Dublin do not perform

7) If Mayo take thier chances (this for a team who are notoriously flakey in front of the posts!)

It all adds up plenty of ifs to me, pie in the sky stuff - If me auntie had balls she'd be me uncle.

Then there is no factoring in of the bench - what have Mayo to come on v the Dublin Bench?

Mayo have to dream the dream, Dublin just have to go through the process.

Plus another hilarious thing I heard on the radio - Dublin have not being tested for a year in the championship - they could be vulnerable! :D

No mention of the fact that Dublin are a finely tuned machine at this stage, who could win with thier B gameif required and grind out a result

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Lads anyone starting to get that excitement yet? I love night before match day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There has been a lot of discussion about Mayo in my house this week as my grandfather died and he had a 90 year old photo of his Mayo mother in his house, I was able to find her ship records yesterday, she was from Tullaghanbaun, she was in Philadelphia 4 years and returned to Derry with my greatgrandfather and grandfather. I would like to see Mayo win though I wouldn't take it too seriously as I doubt her family had any interest in football growing up in the 1910s. Something interesting I did notice was that the 1911 census had her down as both an Irish and English speaker which you wouldn't see in Ulster censuses, her grandmother was only an Irish speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'm looking forward to it - plenty of history between the two teams - should be a bit of needle in it as well as tension.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know how people can get excited, well apart from Dubs, when the All-Ireland championship is a foregone conclusion. Dublin five in a row is pretty much a certainty.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

What? Bit of an overreaction there!

I didn't say there's anything wrong with anything. Keep on the hype train if you want but don't start crying when it crashes again.

Personally speaking and I'd say its the same for most fans, tomorrow is a huge ask considering the injuries to key players, short turnaround and long season. I'm the least optimistic of any of the recent meetings between the teams and my gut is telling me a good enough performance from Mayo but a 6 point win for Dublin.

That said its an occassion of sorts which 28 or so other counties would love to be involved in.

In summary, a good day out, a bit of craic and Dublin to win by 6 points.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't know how people can get excited, well apart from Dubs, when the All-Ireland championship is a foregone conclusion. Dublin five in a row is pretty much a certainty.

I get excited even if we are playing Roscommon. I just love the buzz.

Who do.you support?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Plus another hilarious thing I heard on the radio - Dublin have not being tested for a year in the championship - they could be vulnerable! :D

I heard Dublin haven't been tested since 2017. Like every team has said 'its the Dubs today lads lets not test them'.:confused: They're not being tested because they're not bad at the game genius.

I'd hope Mayo approach the game with a bit of swagger though. And they will. Both sets of players are all business and the talk in the media is irrelevant to them.

Who do.you support?

I'm a Dub

• Advertisement

I can't ever forgive them for 2006.

I'd be still crying if I was a Mayoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't really know what you're expecting people to do? Just stop supporting their team? You keep going on about optimism in this really critical way as if fans have no right to shout for the team or have any belief at all really.
    If people believe they'll win, so fcking what? What odds does it make to you or anyone supporting or involved with Dublin? Is it really going to have such an impact on the result that we need to put a stop to it? Should people just stand back and admire Dublin as they walk to the 5 in a row? Maybe no Mayo fans should go to the game at all and we'll just let the Dubs have a kick about in Croke Park to the cheers of their own fans?

For what it's worth, no one I know who is interested in the game is very optimistic about Mayo's chances, more hopeful than anything. But this sneering attitude that opposition fans should just sit down and be quiet and this whole "how dare they support their team" stuff is pure crap tbh.

I'm a Dub
    Why were you quoting me then when I said in my post that Dubs are the only ones who should be excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I'm a Dub
    Why were you quoting me then when I said in my post that Dubs are the only ones who should be excited?
    Ffs. Nothing is sure. Of course everyone is excited about watching exciting football. Be it Dublin, Mayo or the rest.

Ffs. Nothing is sure. Of course everyone is excited about watching exciting football. Be it Dublin, Mayo or the rest.
    Well it's pretty much a foregone conclusion and the football for the most part is not exciting to watch either.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Well it's pretty much a foregone conclusion and the football for the most part is not exciting to watch either.

Not at all, Dublin beating Mayo by a point twice in games where we had no idea which way it was going to go shows it's never over until it's over.

This game should be great and I'm equal parts excited and nervous, probably a tiny bit more nervous as Mayo can throw a spanner into the works.

The Fr. Stone of the GAA forum.

Well, like 83,000 other people who will be actually there, another million watching on TV, pardon us our getting excited about something :)

Then don't watch it and let us enjoy it.

Amazing how the foregone conclusion of the AFC East doesn't stop ya watching that drudgery.

Amazing how the foregone conclusion of the AFC East doesn't stop ya watching that drudgery.
    As I said the Dubs can get excited because they are the ones breaking records. I'm a Patriots fan, very like the Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There's plenty of reasons. The age of the top Mayo players for one, being destroyed by Kerry can't be ignored, Dublin are better than they were then, the list goes on.
    Many feel sorry for Mayo and their supporters, constantly getting their hopes up only to have them smashed but they kind of bring it on themselves. The hype carries them away.

Sport is about getting your hopes up. There wouldn’t be much enjoyment out of it otherwise.

There’s no evidence Dublin were better than they were. The loss of prime Bernard Brogan Paul Flynn is considerable and I wouldn’t be convinced their replacements are of the same standard. Hard to see Diarmuid Connolly being at his best tomorrow. Their bench may not be quite the force it was either when a peak Kevin Mc etc were coming off it.

Mayo are certainly older but they have added depth and youth. Their biggest players Keegan O’Shea O’Connor all in their prime. Having said that Jason Doherty a huge loss and the Dubs are obviously more than worthy favorites.

I would forget about the Kerry match. 6th game in 6 weeks away in Killarney and not a must win. Irrelevant to this weekend. Anyone expecting a ten point win for Dublin is off their rocker imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement