Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Mayo have great supporters. I hope they win tomorrow as most neutrals do. I doubt they are expecting to win but they will travel with hope and they have the players to pose plenty of problems for Dublin. I’m not seeing this hype and over exuberance that is being referred to here tbh.

Safe travels to all over the weekend.

People who hope one of the teams wins are by definition not neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

It’s a dull dark morning in the capital with the threat of rain from the sky. The calm before the Croke Park storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Powerhouse wrote: »
    People who hope one of the teams wins are by definition not neutral.

I am not from either county. I will be pleased for Mayo if they win this evening. It won’t ruin my weekend if they don’t though. I hope that clears my position up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ClanofLams wrote:
    I would forget about the Kerry match. 6th game in 6 weeks away in Killarney and not a must win. Irrelevant to this weekend. Anyone expecting a ten point win for Dublin is off their rocker imo.

I don't expect a 10 point win at all but I wouldn't say that someone suggesting it is off their rocker. For context, Dublin to win by 10-12 points is 6/1. Mayo to win is 5/1.

I would imagine Mayo will give them a stern enough test but will come up short. Mayo will play above themselves as teams often do in massive games and have to expend every ounce of effort.

Mayo are the ultimate team for matching their performance to the occasion. They've largely been an extremely average side this summer turning in only a single big performance really. But come this evening they'll be ready to run through a wall. In slippery conditions, it will level the playing field further.

I can see Dublin winning by less than 5 points. But I would not be shocked to see Dublin click and win by more of conditions clear or Mayo to really make a game of it and push them all the way. I wouldn't touch the game with a bargepole for betting.

Also just to point out, Brogan and Flynn were well past their best in 2016 and 2017. Neither started in 2017 and Brogan was dropped for the replay in 2016. I'd take the current Dublin forward line over them in a heartbeat. Howard, Costello, O'Callaghan of 2019 are far more cohesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't really know what you're expecting people to do? Just stop supporting their team? You keep going on about optimism in this really critical way as if fans have no right to shout for the team or have any belief at all really.
    If people believe they'll win, so fcking what? What odds does it make to you or anyone supporting or involved with Dublin? Is it really going to have such an impact on the result that we need to put a stop to it? Should people just stand back and admire Dublin as they walk to the 5 in a row? Maybe no Mayo fans should go to the game at all and we'll just let the Dubs have a kick about in Croke Park to the cheers of their own fans?

For what it's worth, no one I know who is interested in the game is very optimistic about Mayo's chances, more hopeful than anything. But this sneering attitude that opposition fans should just sit down and be quiet and this whole "how dare they support their team" stuff is pure crap tbh.

It's the despair you can cope with but the hope is the real killer and by golly do ye lads have it on buckets. Match day at last, may the best team win. Dubs by 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Buer wrote: »
    Also just to point out, Brogan and Flynn were well past their best in 2016 and 2017. Neither started in 2017 and Brogan was dropped for the replay in 2016. I'd take the current Dublin forward line over them in a heartbeat. Howard, Costello, O'Callaghan of 2019 are far more cohesive.

Yeah Brogan and Flynn haven't been at the top since about 2015 (probably earlier in BBs case)

COC, Mannion, Rock all look better now than 2017 and KK is flourishing in a much more advanced role. And Howard as you mention - he didn't even play in 2017. And essentially neither did their MVP McCaffrey

As a mayo man objectively Dublin should be winning this by around the spread but I could see it being more

But look you never know with sport and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I am not from either county. I will be pleased for Mayo if they win this evening. It won’t ruin my weekend if they don’t though. I hope that clears my position up for you.

Well you aren't a Neutral. You want Mayo to win.

I wanted them to beat Kerry too.

I agree with you though I find it difficult to watch a game without selecting a side, I can change mid game, like yourself it doesn't have a lasting effect when I'm on the wrong side.

Plus you still have a dog in the fight.

Depending on the result today, if Mayo win I'd like Tyrone to win, if Dublin win I'd like Kerry to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    Well you aren't a Neutral. You want Mayo to win.

I wanted them to beat Kerry too.

I agree with you though I find it difficult to watch a game without selecting a side, I can change mid game, like yourself it doesn't have a lasting effect when I'm on the wrong side.

Plus you still have a dog in the fight.

Depending on the result today, if Mayo win I'd like Tyrone to win, if Dublin win I'd like Kerry to win.

Unlike yourselves there are still sleepless nights over themmuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You only had to listen to Off The Ball from Achill where ex players like McHale, Willie Joe Padden expect a Mayo victory. McHale basically wrote Dublin off. It's bizarre confidence or blind loyalty at times.

It was funny alright. I do not think it was confidence they were racking thier brains trying to imagine all the scenarios where Mayo would win.

It reminded me of conversations little kids would have.

Dublin Kid - I will get my big brother after you.

Mayo Kid - Well then I will get my Dad and big Brother after you and xyz will happen, and then, and then, and then...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Unlike yourselves there are still sleepless nights over themmuns.

Poor fella! :(

• Advertisement

You wouldn't believe who walked through the doors of the early house here lads. Three Mayo head-the-balls, rigged out in dung-splattered, vintage Wranglers, with freshly ironed 'we stopped the 5 in a row' t-shirts. Didn't take long for these creatures from the west to make an appearance on match day. Talk about tempting faith. To be fair they look a little bat-crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You wouldn't believe who walked through the doors of the early house here lads. Three Mayo head-the-balls, rigged out in dung-splattered, vintage Wranglers, with freshly ironed 'we stopped the 5 in a row' t-shirts. Didn't take long for these creatures from the west to make an appearance on match day. Talk about tempting faith. To be fair they look a little bat-crazy!

I'm sure ye'll all just gel together nicely so. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'm sure ye'll all just gel together nicely so. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Moe Fadden is already belting out a few bars of the Green and Red of Mayo.Things warmin up nicely lads. It's gonna be a good one, it's party time in the capital! Yeoww!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jr86 wrote:
    Yeah Brogan and Flynn haven't been at the top since about 2015 (probably earlier in BBs case)

Sure the whole Flynn in midfield after McCaffrey went off in 2017 was a disaster, used up 2 subs on it.

Flynn was great. Howard is very similar.

There is no new Brogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Silly Moe Fadden is already belting out a few bars of the Green and Red of Mayo. Not bad for a lad with about four teeth. He's cleared half the pub though quicker than a butcher at a vegan convention. Things warmin up nicely lads. It's gonna be a good one, it's party time in the capital! Yeoww!

Get off the phone would ya and go grab a coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Silly Moe Fadden is already belting out a few bars of the Green and Red of Mayo. Not bad for a lad with about four teeth. He's cleared half the pub though quicker than a butcher at a vegan convention. Things warmin up nicely lads. It's gonna be a good one, it's party time in the capital! Yeoww!

Jesus I remember the days of starting on the soup early morning match day. Those days are gone for me

Jaysus, so much for havin bit o craic. Enjoy lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Cut out this kind of posting! It has nothing to do with the game.

Some serious posters on here. Very serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Some serious posters on here. Very serious.
    Banter is fine but it ends up running the thread into a piss take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Buer wrote: »
    I don't expect a 10 point win at all but I wouldn't say that someone suggesting it is off their rocker. For context, Dublin to win by 10-12 points is 6/1. Mayo to win is 5/1.

I would imagine Mayo will give them a stern enough test but will come up short. Mayo will play above themselves as teams often do in massive games and have to expend every ounce of effort.

Mayo are the ultimate team for matching their performance to the occasion. They've largely been an extremely average side this summer turning in only a single big performance really. But come this evening they'll be ready to run through a wall. In slippery conditions, it will level the playing field further.

I can see Dublin winning by less than 5 points. But I would not be shocked to see Dublin click and win by more of conditions clear or Mayo to really make a game of it and push them all the way. I wouldn't touch the game with a bargepole for betting.

Saying Mayo will play above themselves seems inaccurate to me, they’ve been the second best team in the country the last five years. They didn’t keep Dublin to a point win twice and draw with them by playing above themselves.

I was referring to the 15-‘17 games in reference to Brogan and Flynn. Brogan was an All Star in ‘15 and Flynn won four in ‘11 to ‘14. I wouldn’t take Howard and Costello ahead of them personally but in fairness I don’t watch every Dublin game and most are a procession so it’s hard to judge and I may well be wrong.

Banter is fine but it ends up running the thread into a piss take.

Only havin bit of craic and im not sure how this place works but im learnin fast. No harm.

I think it will be a very hard game for Dublin. Mayo always give us a game and the weather is going to make things tougher. It’s also not a final so Mayo don’t need to worry about curses or anything like that. They’ll have no pressure on them. Nothing to lose.

You wouldn't believe who walked through the doors of the early house here lads. Three Mayo head-the-balls, rigged out in dung-splattered, vintage Wranglers, with freshly ironed 'we stopped the 5 in a row' t-shirts. Didn't take long for these creatures from the west to make an appearance on match day. Talk about tempting FAITH. To be fair they look a little bat-crazy!

Who's Faith? Your girlfriend? I'd say she'd be tempted by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Weather probably going to ruin this one. Heavy wet weather won't suit Mayos hard running style as ball control will be almost impossible even with the slightest of contacts. Dublin will be patient and play around the edges picking off a score here and there to win out in a low scoring affair I think.

Who's Faith? Your girlfriend? I'd say she'd be tempted by anyone.

No more banter please. I have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Heavy showers on and off in D3 and extremely blustery. Even if the rain holds off from here on (which is highly doubtful) the pitch will be soaking now. Wind is going to make distance shooting extremely tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Rain supposed to be heavy in next hour or two then die off, but wind will get stronger. Very strong gusts in vicinity at moment.

More like March than August.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cork and Meath's performances vs Dublin should give Mayo some encouragement. Both created a host of chances against the Dublin defense and Cork were only 3-4 points down with 8 minutes to go. On both occasions it was Dublin's superior fitness and athleticism in last 10-15 minutes that really told in the end...areas Mayo should be miles ahead of Meath and Cork in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Cork and Meath's performances vs Dublin should give Mayo some encouragement. Both created a host of chances against the Dublin defense and Cork were only 3-4 points down with 8 minutes to go. On both occasions it was Dublin's superior fitness and athleticism in last 10-15 minutes that really told in the end...areas Mayo should be miles ahead of Meath and Cork in.

Go away!

You're wrecking me buzz ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement