Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What happened at the end of the game?

Several scuffles and boxing down the sideline...prolonged one involving about 10 players and the Fermanagh mentor (sent off) before and after final whistle and Quigley's day long goading of Beggan (I was sitting beside it) boiled over at the end too.
    Have to say, Quigley should go the same way as McCann is hopefully going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Several scuffles and boxing down the sideline...prolonged one involving about 10 players and the Fermanagh mentor (sent off) before and after final whistle and Quigley's day long goading of Beggan (I was sitting beside it) boiled over at the end too.

I listened to it on the radio and sounds like Quigley hit a Monaghan player a box in the mouth after the game. Fermanagh finishing with 12 players doesn't sound too good, doesn't sound like they took the loss well.

shrewdness wrote: »
    I listened to it on the radio and sounds like Quigley hit a Monaghan player a box in the mouth after the game. Fermanagh finishing with 12 players doesn't sound too good, doesn't sound like they took the loss well.

A clear and open box it was. He shouldn't be let on a pitch to be honest. Sledging all day and took his frustrations out at the end. Two dozy umpires unwilling to take action didn't help either. It was the two umpires at the other end that seen the sending off incident. So no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Pity BBC didn't/couldn't show this replay.

Deferred coverage on BBC2 at 7pm. Not ideal but better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

How are the Dubs looking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

dobman88 wrote: »
    Deferred coverage on BBC2 at 7pm. Not ideal but better than nothing

Didn't know that, I'll start avoiding scores if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

A clear and open box it was. He shouldn't be let on a pitch to be honest. Sledging all day and took his frustrations out at the end. Two dozy umpires unwilling to take action didn't help either. It was the two umpires at the other end that seen the sending off incident. So no excuse.

He had a poor enough contribution with some missed shots and the penalty of course, so yeah he was just taking out his frustrations at the end. I can't stand that when players who are knocked out of the championship start with that shyte in the knowledge their summer is over, the book should be thrown at them. And even worse if they manage to drag players from the winning team into it when they've more games to come. Were there any Monaghan players who retaliated with strikes or anything serious? I hear McManus and others were trying to get them off the field at the end as they have bigger fish to fry now, and a potential tough draw awaits.

Didn't know that, I'll start avoiding scores if so.

Yeah I checked earlier when I was looking for an alternative to the double hurling.

shrewdness wrote: »
    He had a poor enough contribution with some missed shots and the penalty of course, so yeah he was just taking out his frustrations at the end. I can't stand that when players who are knocked out of the championship start with that shyte in the knowledge their summer is over, the book should be thrown at them. And even worse if they manage to drag players from the winning team into it when they've more games to come. Were there any Monaghan players who retaliated with strikes or anything serious? I hear McManus and others were trying to get them off the field at the end as they have bigger fish to fry now, and a potential tough draw awaits.

Don't know what went on in the big melee tbh. Bar pushing and standing up to Fermanagh players, I don't think they retaliated as the Beggan situation got out of hand.
    Fair play to Kieran Hughes...he made a big show of getting off and away from it and I think that calmed things a bit.

You are right that players do this because there is no effective sanction.

km79 wrote: »
    How are the Dubs looking?

Kildare have pulled it back to 4 point lead for Dub after being 7 points up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ffs , if they are showing hurling on tv why is it also on radio 1? Wanted to listen to some of the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The scheduling was no doubt done on last years brilliant championship in the hurling but there’s been a lot of televised rubbish hankerings when better football has been ignored. Cavan Armagh sounds like a thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The scheduling was no doubt done on last years brilliant championship in the hurling but there’s been a lot of televised rubbish hankerings when better football has been ignored. Cavan Armagh sounds like a thriller

The football rights should be taken off RTE altogether and sold separately. Even when they did decide to finally show a game yesterday evening, the coverage was half @ssed with no presence in Breffni Park and two dinosaurs with nothing to contribute on the panel. No post match interviews either. Leave them with their cr@ppy Munster championship if they're that obsessed with it.

Yep, another one sided spanking in the ultra competitive be all and end all that is the Munster Hurling championship. Hopefully they go with showing 1 hurling, 1 football game for the live games next year instead of 2 hurling. I enjoy watching hurling but it's been done to death this year.

Why they can't make a decision and switch from a game that is over to the exciting one, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yep, another one sided spanking in the ultra competitive be all and end all that is the Munster Hurling championship. Hopefully they go with showing 1 hurling, 1 football game for the live games next year instead of 2 hurling. I enjoy watching hurling but it's been done to death this year.

Definitely way to much hurling this yr
    One each would be ideal.
    The women’s World Cup isn’t much better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

By the looks of it, Dublin are again barely getting out of first gear and are motoring past Kildare. Literally cannot see any possibility of them being beaten in Leinster for at least another 5-10 years.
    Decent win for us. Laois had a good few goal chances and missed them all so could have been closer at the end. Great first championship start from James Conlon with 5 points from play.

2 of our 3 aims for the season (promotion and Leinster final) are in the bag. A win after our inevitable hammering in two weeks time will seal the third. Pleasantly surprised with how the season's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great performance from Cavan to kick 23 points. They should put it up to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Pot A - Round 1 Winners

Derry
    Leitrim
    Offaly
    Antrim
    Monaghan
    Down
    Westmeath
    Longford

Pot B -Losing provincial semi-finalists

Sligo
    Mayo
    Limerick
    Clare
    Tyrone
    Kildare
    Laois
    Armagh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That is true, but I still can't see them dropping any of the Munster hurling games next year even with all the hammerings this year. The Leinster hurling championship has been excellent though.
    I love watching hurling but you can have too much of a good thing. And a one sided game of hurling is, in my view, worse than an ultra defensive, tight football game.

The thing I cannot stand about RTE's coverage is that they'll often show hours of live hurling and analysis only to show extended highlights and in depth analysis of the same game(s) that night and leave a minute or two for each football game with barely a mention afterwards. If people want to watch the game, they can surely do so on the player online.

I'd agree that hurling and football should be offered separately for TV. It's obvious that whether games are on TV or not isn't really affecting attendances. Hurling seems to be well attended even with the amount of games being shown while crowds at football games have plummeted even though we've only had a handful on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

naughto wrote: »
    The women’s World Cup isn’t much better

Now that is the height of sh1te. Lads down the local astroturf would run rings around them yet it's getting serious attention. I understand that women in sport is a good thing but there needs to be a serious lift in standards before anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pot A - Round 1 Winners

Derry
    Leitrim
    Offaly
    Antrim
    Monaghan
    Down
    Westmeath
    Longford

Pot B -Losing provincial semi-finalists

Sligo
    Mayo
    Limerick
    Clare
    Tyrone
    Kildare
    Laois
    Armagh

Just to note

Tyrone cannot play Derry or Antrim
    Armagh cannot play Down
    Laois cannot play Westmeath
    Kildare cannot play Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Just to note

Tyrone cannot play Derry or Antrim
    Armagh cannot play Down
    Laois cannot play Westmeath
    Kildare cannot play Longford.

I think repeat fixtures are allowed in this round - it's only for round 3 and 4 in the qualifiers that repeat fixtures are not allowed.

https://www.gaa.ie/sportteller-content/stories/1/1/df726843-3951-459b-af6e-729c19588760/index.html#Slide_4

Tyrone V Monaghan would be a great draw. A knockout game, you'd have to imagine it would be an absolute humdinger with boths sides going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

He wont be getting his pizzas in Monaghan any time soon
    Delighted fermanagh are out, they make football unbearable.
    I see tipperary are out as well, 2016 a distant memory, 2017 a distant memory for Carlow as well

C__MC wrote: »
    He wont be getting his pizzas in Monaghan any time soon
    Delighted fermanagh are out, they make football unbearable.
    I see tipperary are out as well, 2016 a distant memory, 2017 a distant memory for Carlow as well

Liam Kearns also stepped down as Tipp manager after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hard to have any sympathy for Carlow with the ingrained discipline issues they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just seen the Dubs scoreline
    Yikes
    Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah glad Fermanagh are gone. Hopefully they'll kick Gallagher to the kerb aswell. The man is a plague on the game of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Two easy wins at CP today. Meath ripped Laois apart down the middle. Thought the penalty looked soft from where I was(not a great view) but they were well worth the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement