Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

km79 wrote: »
    Just seen the Dubs scoreline
    Yikes
    Depressing

Not looking good for the future of football. Leinster decimated once again, few heavy beatings for the others to come and the wheel turns. 5 in a row will be the least of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think repeat fixtures are allowed in this round - it's only for round 3 and 4 in the qualifiers that repeat fixtures are not allowed.

https://www.gaa.ie/sportteller-content/stories/1/1/df726843-3951-459b-af6e-729c19588760/index.html#Slide_4

Yeah, you are right, I always get mixed up about what is and is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yeah, you are right, I always get mixed up about what is and is not allowed.

The thing is there doesn't appear to be any actual logic to these rules - it would surely be more consistent to not allow rematches in Round 1 and Round 2 if they are not allowed in Round 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

The argument for Dublin playing at Croke Park has been blown out of the water. They might as well hammer Kildare in Newbridge or nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

threeball wrote: »
    Not looking good for the future of football. Leinster decimated once again, few heavy beatings for the others to come and the wheel turns. 5 in a row will be the least of it.

The Leinster Football Champ is surely a farce at this stage!

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »

Will Meath have enough self belief to bring 20k to the final. I don't think so. Might get 50k total. Lipstick on a pig springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I was at Croke Park for the first half today and left frustrated at half time. The high ball was working for Kildare for a bit but they were simply too slow and conservative at letting it in!

My own Cavan must be everyone’s favorite second team this year. The Black Death is well and truly over with our quick-moving, kick pass attacking style today where we kicked 23 scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cavan_King wrote: »
    My own Cavan must be everyone’s favorite second team this year. The Black Death is well and truly over with our quick-moving, kick pass attacking style today where we kicked 23 scores.

Jayus, 23!

I suppose all 23 scores were 'economical' scores considering they were produced by Cavanmen?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Hill did not even bother cheering and chanting with thier usual gusto from start to finish.
    They looked asleep for most of it.
    It was less Hill 16 la la la and more Hill 16 la la land.

Cluxton got a bit of chant for saving a goal bound shot, that was about it.
    If the Hill looks half asleep you know there is something wrong.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The Hill did not even bother cheering and chanting with thier usual gusto from start to finish.
    They looked asleep for most of it.
    It was less Hill 16 la la la and more Hill 16 la la land.

Cluxton got a bit of chant for saving a goal bound shot, that was about it.
    If the Hill looks half asleep you know there is something wrong.

No one gives a toss at this stage. Once the 5 in a row is done this year I'd expect the dubs support will drop 50%. No one wants to watch one sided muck even if you are winning. The Leinster championship will do well to break 100k attendees next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No one gives a toss at this stage. Once the 5 in a row is done this year I'd expect the dubs support will drop 50%. No one wants to watch one sided muck even if you are winning. The Leinster championship will do well to break 100k attendees next year.

And yet if the GAA had any marketing smarts they could build up Dublin and Meath and get 50k there, as one sided as it'll be, but they'll happily let it play out and have half that. As bad as the competition is the marketing is absolutely ****ing useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Jayus, 23!

I suppose all 23 scores were 'economical' scores considering they were produced by Cavanmen?

It’s a lot harder in the Ulster championship than the Leinster!

And yet if the GAA had any marketing smarts they could build up Dublin and Meath and get 50k there, as one sided as it'll be, but they'll happily let it play out and have half that. As bad as the competition is the marketing is absolutely ****ing useless.

Be there, all the way.

Definitely going now. Wasn't before but that swung me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

The football has been ****e this year lads. A couple ulster games and the mayo ros game only thing you'd be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Why oh why is there also not a Monday night highlights package in June and July! A huge weekend of GAA being squeezed into 2 hours on RTE now.
    If they go too the bother of having cameras at every game, then why just show a few seconds of some games. Instead there'll be some repeated American crap on RTE2 tomorrow night instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jay0109 wrote: »
    Why oh why is there also not a Monday night highlights package in June and July! A huge weekend of GAA being squeezed into 2 hours on RTE now.
    If they go too the bother of having cameras at every game, then why just show a few seconds of some games. Instead there'll be some repeated American crap on RTE2 tomorrow night instead

They're not allowed, they've no midweek highlights rights. TG4 have one and usually concentrate on games that didn't get much coverage.
    Apparently Sky have a midweek highlights slot in their rights and don't even bother

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I remember when a semi final lineup like today might of gotten 60k plus and a Dublin v Meath game alone would guarantee that on its own.

After such baron years I was delighted to see Dublin raise their game so much but not to see this crap in Leinster. Basically it’s august before Dublin usually get a decent game. Super 8s will help but I would hate to see Leinster championship cancelled or continue on like this. I’ve such fond memories from the 90s even if it wasn’t all rosey.

Would love if Meath really put it up to Dublin in the final and really pushed us. Weird as it is I wouldn’t mind losing to bring back some of that rivalry in my belly. I’ve been living in Meath over 13 years now and but for the odd blip Dublin have owned Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No marketing could drum up that

They're not allowed, they've no midweek highlights rights. TG4 have one and usually concentrate on games that didn't get much coverage.
    Apparently Sky have a midweek highlights slot in their rights and don't even bother

I think they do one but it's crap. Yer wan stands out by a river somewhere and introduces rte highlights. No more, no less.

jay0109 wrote: »

I wish the Gaa would bother to put proper Camera positions at each ground. If it's not a main game they don't even bother elevating the camera. May as well have some lad in the front row record it on an iPhone.

• Advertisement

It’s unfair to accuse the GAA of marketing failures today as their actions on the whole have led to the problems that manifested themselves today.

It’s unfair to accuse the GAA of marketing failures today as their actions on the whole have led to the problems that manifested themselves today. Marketing is the least of their sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

Those All-Ireland qualifier highlights for the 1st round were absolute ****e on the sunday game. What was the point of sending a cameraman if he's only gonna show 10 seconds of coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

1 minute 20 seconds total of highlights of Leitrim/wicklow, Offaly/London, louth/antrim and wexford/derry games on Sunday game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

rossie1977 wrote: »
    1 minute 20 seconds total of highlights of Leitrim/wicklow, Offaly/London, louth/antrim and wexford/derry games on Sunday game.

i am fully convinced that the people in rte that edit or make decisions on gaa coverage would rather have lads debating all night in the studio and make headlines the next day then actually show coverage

i think if right was right they could nearly ditch the analysis stuff altogether ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

By the looks of it, Dublin are again barely getting out of first gear and are motoring past Kildare. Literally cannot see any possibility of them being beaten in Leinster for at least another 5-10 years.
    Decent win for us. Laois had a good few goal chances and missed them all so could have been closer at the end. Great first championship start from James Conlon with 5 points from play.

2 of our 3 aims for the season (promotion and Leinster final) are in the bag. A win after our inevitable hammering in two weeks time will seal the third. Pleasantly surprised with how the season's gone.

We'll be lucky if they're beat at all in Ireland over the next decade. And when they finally lose it will push them on even more the years after. They won 5 leinsters in a row and after meath beat them haven't lost since. When donegal beat them in 2014 it just made them better.

Even if funds are redistributed and heavily invested in Leinster underage structures there's no guarantee anyone will ever catch them as they've a bigger population then the rest of leinster combined. Just be glad you witnessed the 80's, 90's and 00's when other teams could sometimes compete with Dublin.
    Will Meath have enough self belief to bring 20k to the final. I don't think so. Might get 50k total. Lipstick on a pig springs to mind.
    We won't bring 10k. We'll be lucky to bring 5k. We've had 5k at a few league games both navan and the final. Probably 5k in Croker yesterday. I can't see anymore attending the final. Myself and the gang I went with yesterday will be watching the final in the local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pot A - Round 1 Winners

Derry
    Leitrim
    Offaly
    Antrim
    Monaghan
    Down
    Westmeath
    Longford

Pot B -Losing provincial semi-finalists

Sligo
    Mayo
    Limerick
    Clare
    Tyrone
    Kildare
    Laois
    Armagh

Didn't realise it was seeded/split into pots.

So calling it now...

Monaghan v Tyrone

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Westmeath v Limerick
    Longford v Tyrone
    Antrim v Kildare
    Clare v Leitrim
    Mayo v Down
    Derry v Laois
    Offaly v Sligo
    Monaghan v Armagh (drawn out by Oisín McConville)

---

Some decent fixtures there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Westmeath v Limerick
    Longford v Tyrone
    Antrim v Kildare
    Leitrim v Clare
    Down v Mayo
    Derry v Laois
    Offaly v Sligo
    Monaghan v Armagh

Oisin McConville was involved in the draw and he's not going to be popular in Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Monaghan Armagh will be some match

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement