Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They did. This year to knock them out of winning the league.

This year they have dorwards. Cathal McShane probably the best in the country

I doubt if Dublin gave a toss about the league with 5 in a row in the background.
    Get through the league with no injuries, give a few lads from the panel a run, walk through Leinster and hit the q/fs in top shape was the plan imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Brego888 wrote: »
    Did they? They scored 2 points in the 2nd half.

Have you started following football lately or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've not had time or want to read the thread. But I'd say at half time it went something like this:

Dubs are rattled
    Mon Mayo
    Great game
    Dublin overrated
    Best championship ever
    Mon kerry
    Drive for five me bollox
    Mayo flying
    Cluxton flapping
    COC best ever
    Keegan POTY
    Etc

When the game had finished it went something like this:

Football is ruined

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Changes etc should be discussed in the changes thread stickied at the top of the forum.

The last on thread warning made no difference so I’m locking this for 15 mins so EVERYONE can read the warning.

This thread is only about the 2019 championship

***REOPENED***

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They did. This year to knock them out of winning the league.

This year they have forwards. Cathal McShane probably the best in the country

So did Kerry. Will mean nothing come the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

keane2097 wrote: »
    Have you started following football lately or...?

Just a few decades. I'm curious as to how they died with their boots on. First half great but they got annihilated in the 2nd half and only managed a paltry 2 points. 2 points. Dying with their boots on is a massive stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

charlie14 wrote: »
    I doubt if Dublin gave a toss about the league with 5 in a row in the background.
    Get through the league with no injuries, give a few lads from the panel a run, walk through Leinster and hit the q/fs in top shape was the plan imo.

So they only care about the championship and threw the game? Like a casual?

Also you're the same guy who gloated over Donegal getting into the super 8s over Tyrone because they won the Ulster Final. How did that work out?

So did Kerry. Will mean nothing come the final

I think either team will beat Dublin. I don't get the hyping up of a team who lost the first half and won the second half against an old team who were v lucky to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think either team will beat Dublin. I don't get the hyping up of a team who lost the first half and won the second half against an old team who were v lucky to get there

No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Another mayo capitulation. How a team can unravel so easily is baffling. Every year same shortcomings dropping balls short, dodgy kickouts etc. End of the road for them now need a serious clear out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Versus the hyping up of a team that Dublin have beaten out the gate any time they need to?

No. Just no.

Do you believe Kerry and Tyrone would've dominated Mayo from start to finish? Yes or no?

Its like Dublin are getting a pat in the back for a great comeback. A top team dominates from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Your aversion to the top scorer in championship history being called the top scorer in championship history is pretty bizarre.

Why? Look at 2 3 and 4 on that list and ask if the top scorer accolade is deserved? Each of them has scored as much, or more from play in a single All Ireland Final as Cillian has in 5 finals

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just back in and watching it..Martin Carney commentating on a Mayo-Dublin match? I'll gladly pay a Sky sports subscription if it means the end of RTEs GAA coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Bambi wrote: »
    Just back in and watching it..Martin Carney commentating on a Mayo-Dublin match? I'll gladly pay a Sky sports subscription if it means the end of RTEs GAA coverage.

Not carney - it was Kevin mcstay

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Bambi wrote: »

Paying to listen to Dick Clerkin would leave a bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Bambi wrote:

Carney was on MidWest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wasn't Carney on Mid-West Radio?

I have heard him be completely biased on it, he's entertaining when things are going wrong for Mayo and he's having a meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I don't understand the accusations of mayo capitulating....yeah they dropped a few shots short in the second half but they were ten down by then.
    For me Dublin swarmed the o Sheas with 4 lads waiting for the breaking ball, mayo couldn't get outta their half and Dublin racked up the scores.
    When Dublin went a few points up and the mayo kick outs weren't ending up in mayo hands, hennelly should've had options to go long over midfield. Or maybe he did and didn't take them options?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Can someone teach Kevin McStay how to pronounce 'tremendous' properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

First up commiserations to Mayo. To be fair they rattled Dublin in the first half and took a deserved lead into the break. However, that was as good as it got as the second half was complete Dublin domination from the throw in to the final whistle. Dublin football at its most powerful, over running and destroying a team in a short burst. Once Con's second goal went in it was game over.

Over the years i often worried about playing Mayo as they usually brought us to the edge but as soon as Mayo beat Donegal i was never as confident of doing a number on them. I expected a 10 point win. Yesterday i made my prediction on here , Dublin 2-17 v Mayo 1-10. Pretty much bang on bar Dublin getting an extra goal and 3 less points. I also put a nice few bob on Duublin to beat the 5 point spread. A bit worried about that at ht but within 5 minutes of the restart Mayo looked gone.

I've had a bit of craic on here in the lead up but i have nothing but admiration for this Mayo team. In Dublins greatest ever decade it is Mayo who have given us our closest games (probably should have won one or two) and deep down i think there is a deep respect for Dubs towards Mayo. A lot of harrowing losses but todays seemed like the end of an era for a few players like A Moran. We'll have to wait and see.

For Dublin, its onwards and upwards. A mouthwatering build up to the All Ireland final now and one more hurdle to overcome before this team becomes a part of GAA folklore for eternity. Great days. Proud. Love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

I loved reading the dub haters have mayo in the final after 25 mins. Hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Good from Mayo first half to a total collapse 2nd half. Dublin had that game won by 41st minute and eased off in the final 15 minutes instead going for a greater margin of victory.

Couldn't understand why some Dublin posters on here was taking up Mayo before the match when it was as clear as day that Mayo are no longer the "consistently competitive" team they once was and understandably so when you consider the amount of mileage on the clock on their key players. Its rebuilding for them now and while Dublin are superb team its just a shame that their main competition is not as good as it should be (Kerry,Tyrone) or in Mayo's case once was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

First up commiserations to Mayo. To be fair they rattled Dublin in the first half and took a deserved lead into the break. However, that was as good as it got as the second half was complete Dublin domination from the throw in to the final whistle. Dublin football at its most powerful, over running and destroying a team in a short burst. Once Con's second goal went in it was game over.

Over the years i often worried about playing Mayo as they usually brought us to the edge but as soon as Mayo beat Donegal i was never as confident of doing a number on them. I expected a 10 point win. Yesterday i made my prediction on here , Dublin 2-17 v Mayo 1-10. Pretty much bang on bar Dublin getting an extra goal and 3 less points. I also put a nice few bob on Duublin to beat the 5 point spread. A bit worried about that at ht but within 5 minutes of the restart Mayo looked gone.

I've had a bit of craic on here in the lead up but i have nothing but admiration for this Mayo team. In Dublins greatest ever decade it is Mayo who have given us our closest games (probably should have won one or two) and deep down i think there is a deep respect for Dubs towards Mayo. A lot of harrowing losses but todays seemed like the end of an era for a few players like A Moran. We'll have to wait and see.

For Dublin, its onwards and upwards. A mouthwatering build up to the All Ireland final now and one more hurdle to overcome before this team becomes a part of GAA folklore for eternity. Great days. Proud. Love it.

I can clarify Dublin players hate mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mayo lost their legs when they sat down at half time. They put in a phenomenal first half. Some of the best defending and disciplined tackling I have ever seen. The heads completely went when they fell behind.

Football is ruined my hole. Mayo proved on par with Dublin for 35 mins. They need to look at why they fell apart in the manner they did and work on it.

Very dissapointing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why? Look at 2 3 and 4 on that list and ask if the top scorer accolade is deserved? Each of them has scored as much, or more from play in a single All Ireland Final as Cillian has in 5 finals
    Have 2, 3 and 4 on that list scored less than Cillian O'Connor in the championship? Because that's the only thing that makes a top scorer. No one's saying that this makes him the best forward (and I don't particularly like him as a player) but, like it or not, he has scored the most and deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

No one left will stop Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Couldn't understand why some Dublin posters on here was taking up Mayo before the match when it was as clear as day that Mayo are no longer the "consistently competitive" team they once was

Don't think that was clear until this evening. The performance against a Donegal side who had drawn with Kerry gave realistic grounds for hope/apprehension that Mayo were back to the level they were at just two years ago...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Last year's final was over at half time.
    And Tyrone lost the first half and won the second half against Cork so I wouldn't exactly be making that argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Don't think that was clear until this evening. The performance against a Donegal side who had drawn with Kerry gave realistic grounds for hope/apprehension that Mayo were back to the level they were at just two years ago...
    Signs was there all summer. From a home defeat to Roscommon to beaten at half time v Kerry i don't think the Mayo of old would have done that. Did well to recover to reach the semi final but they were wins v Meath and Donegal at home. Donegal haven't reached AI semi final since 2014 and would have taken the same type of beating off Dublin today IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement