Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Mayo lost their legs when they sat down at half time. They put in a phenomenal first half. Some of the best defending and disciplined tackling I have ever seen. The heads completely went when they fell behind.

Football is ruined my hole. Mayo proved on par with Dublin for 35 mins. They need to look at why they fell apart in the manner they did and work on it.

Very dissapointing.

Presumably, because football is played for seventy minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I loved reading the dub haters have mayo in the final after 25 mins. Hahahahahaha

Show one post indicating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I can clarify Dublin players hate mayo.

I'd say there are individuals (whispers the O'Connors) that aren't liked but i didn't see any loathing at the final whistle. More than one Dublin player embraced Moran knowing it was probably his last game for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I think either team will beat Dublin. I don't get the hyping up of a team who lost the first half and won the second half against an old team who were v lucky to get there

Hyping up a team that have won 4 AI in a row. Hyping a team that haven't lost a championship game since 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

corny wrote: »
    I can clarify Dublin players hate mayo.

I'd say there are individuals (whispers the O'Connors) that aren't liked but i didn't see any loathing at the final whistle. More than one Dublin player embraced Moran knowing it was probably his last game for example.

I've worked in an around the panel since 2014 and can state they aren't liked. There is obviously some friendships here and there but general consensus isn't good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

corny wrote:

From conversations with one of the players over time, there is a lot of respect but absolutely no love lost on either side. Familiarity breeds contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Have 2, 3 and 4 on that list scored less than Cillian O'Connor in the championship? Because that's the only thing that makes a top scorer. No one's saying that this makes him the best forward (and I don't particularly like him as a player) but, like it or not, he has scored the most and deserves it.

Deserves it is not a fact, it's subjective. Sheehy and Joyce scores way more from play, didn't take all the frees, and played during a time when less games were being played and it was lower scoring. Ditto Maurice Fitz, who like Brogan, was playing on such a great team that he got edged out eventually. There's a difference between having Evan Regan behind you, rather than Dean Rock. Top scorer comps should be done 'from play'. Tapping over frees is nonsense stats. Cillian is only a good free taker also, he's not top drawer in the way Rock or Maurice Fitz was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Buer wrote: »
    From conversations with one of the players over time, there is a lot of respect but absolutely no love lost on either side. Familiarity breeds contempt.

The respect is there thats the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

For 35 minutes, the hope that Mayo could be competitive with Dublin was there.
    I think some Dub fans are exaggerating the confidence levels of anti Dublin fans at half time.
    Mayo were only up by 2 points. I thought if there could keep it close that Dublin might get nervy near the end due to the 5 in a row history aspect.

Instead, Dublin showed in 10 minutes how laughable the All Ireland football championship is. And the gap is getting bigger not smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cillian O’Connor is as trampish a player as I’ve seen. Delighted to see him get the line today. Hopefully referees start to wake up to his butter wouldn’t melt act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

vetinari wrote: »
    For 35 minutes, the hope that Mayo could be competitive with Dublin was there.
    I think some Dub fans are exaggerating the confidence levels of anti Dublin fans at half time.
    Mayo were only up by 2 points. I thought if there could keep it close that Dublin might get nervy near the end due to the 5 in a row history aspect.

Instead, Dublin showed in 10 minutes how laughable the All Ireland football championship is. And the gap is getting bigger not smaller.

Anyone that thought Mayo had one foot, or even a toe-nail in the final at h/t hasn't a clue. Don't think I read one post anywhere on the Internet that was confident of a Mayo win at h/t.
    I think its more that a handful of Dub fans like to invent a "did it against the odds" posture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Joe Brolly is an absolute embarassment.

Half time he said Dublin needed a goal if they're going to get back into the game. 4 minutes later and the game is over.

After the Mayo Kerry game he said Mayo were gone, 100% gone, no chance of them coming back. Then they advance at the expense of the mighty impressive Donegal. He's an absolute idiot!!

Aside from that, is there any achievement for Dublin really? It'll always be tainted that they're participating in what is practically financial doping. More money, more resources, more advantages than everyone else.

Kerry and Kilkenny have dominated at times too but the difference is what advantage did Kerry have over everyone else? Was it financial? Was it population? Was it home advantage? No, it was a pure obsession with the codes in each county.

When Dublin then become obsessed to the same extent, coupled with the rest of their massive advantages there's no viable competitor out there.

I mean Bernard Brogan didn't even get on the bench today and he'd be starting for Mayo today.

It's not just a great team, there's going to be multiple great teams from this lot.

Sure look at the top quality players who have moved on from previous years - Connolly, McMahon, Bernard Brogan, Alan Brogan, Flynn.

Now look at the quality they have in their prime for years to come - McCaffrey, Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, Fenton, Howard, Scully, Small, Costello, Murchan...Most if not all of these are 25 or under. Look at Mayo, look at Cillian O'Connor - he's like the Dean Rock for Dublin yet Dean Rock isn't even that crucial for Dublin. Dublin don't rely on him. Dublin aren't fearing that there's no one coming along that will reach his level like O'Connor.

There's no ending this. The best one could hope for is a one off defeat on a bad day. But Dublin are probably going to dominate for a decade at least. I can see them winning 14 of the last 16 or 17 All Irelands in the future..

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Mayo proved on par with Dublin for 35 mins

Donal Vaughan had to come off before half time because he was knackered. Mayo went tits out and that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Cillian O’Connor is as trampish a player as I’ve seen. Delighted to see him get the line today. Hopefully referees start to wake up to his butter wouldn’t melt act.

Should have been a straight red too, as was O'Donohue's elbow, and probably McLoughlin's stamp (some interpretation/ambiguity maybe on the last one).
    A straight red means the player misses the next championship game, in this case a Connacht championship game.

Referee should enforce the rules of the game, and not feel sorry for the Mayo lads losing the heads hist cause they were being hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Hyping up a team that have won 4 AI in a row. Hyping a team that haven't lost a championship game since 2014

On this years evidence would the bookies take a bet that the Dubs will go ten years undefeated till 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Should have been a straight red too, as was O'Donohue's elbow, and probably McLoughlin's stamp (some interpretation/ambiguity maybe on the last one).
    A straight red means the player misses the next championship game, in this case a Connacht championship game.

Referee should enforce the rules of the game, and not feel sorry for the Mayo lads losing the heads hist cause they were being hammered.

A lot of the championship games I saw this year the level of the officiating has been woeful. Referee and colleagues today had a shocker, as has been stated clear as day two more Mayo players should have been sent to the line, one he and his officials may not have picked up on due to the pure slyness but fûck me.... the ‘ahhh shure they were frustrated and being hammered’ line is bollocks but the driving knees into people on the deck and the clear as day elbow tackles around the throat... ignoring that really enhances the spectacle and really supports player wellbeing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

On this years evidence would the bookies take a bet that the Dubs will go ten years undefeated till 2024?

I posted the odds of such a bet a couple of weeks ago. Its 25/1 for the 10 in a row. May have come down after today with the 5 now a certainty.

Can find the market on Boyles, couldn't find it on the others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Odds probably be muck and they could lose a dead rubber in the Super 8's or whatever format follows it easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    I posted the odds of such a bet a couple of weeks ago. Its 25/1 for the 10 in a row. May have come down after today with the 5 now a certainty.

Can find the market on Boyles, couldn't find it on the others

PaddyPower had odds on Dublin for the 6,7,8,9,10 earlier in the year.
    Can't remember the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They'd have probably have been hockeyed regardless, but the game was lost as a contest in the 3 mins after Con's first goal. If the other team has all the momentum, you never kick to midfield. Hennelly had the short one on multiple times in those minutes but never took the risk. Went to midfield, was lost and the scoreboard got outta control. You need to have the balls to go short in those scenarios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

Lads dont count yer chickens saying Dublin will do 10 and 15 in a row with All Irelands. We were hearing the same about Kilkenny in 2010 and how they be never beaten in this decade. Tipp threw away the script that day and destroyed them and ended the 5 in a row dream. Dublin havent won it yet even if they are better than kerry and tyrone right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dublin must seem be able click a switch and score these crazy scores in such short space of time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So they only care about the championship and threw the game? Like a casual?

Also you're the same guy who gloated over Donegal getting into the super 8s over Tyrone because they won the Ulster Final. How did that work out?

Of course they only cared about the championship. They are going for a never been done 5 in a row. You seriously think they were going to flog themselves in the league with that at stake or that their supporters gave a damn about the league!

I didn`t gloat about Donegal getting into the super 8`s by winning Ulster titles back to back and beating Tyrone along the way. Even if that did leave Donegal the top Ulster team of the decade.
    Any idea which system you reckon Tyrone will use tomorrow.
    Plan A that the Dubs took apart last year, or Plan B that Donegal took apart this year that resulted in Tyrone going back to Plan A ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Seadin wrote: »
    Lads dont count yer chickens saying Dublin will do 10 and 15 in a row with All Irelands. We were hearing the same about Kilkenny in 2010 and how they be never beaten in this decade. Tipp threw away the script that day and destroyed them and ended the 5 in a row dream. Dublin havent won it yet even if they are better than kerry and tyrone right now.

Too true. No trophy in the cabinet yet. No big shindig in the Gibson yet. No session in Pipers Corner on the Monday yet. Boars Head will have to wait. Party time in Smithfield? Not a chance. Stupid talk all this 10 in a row nonsense. The 5 in a row is going to be huge pressure. I'm not taking beating Kerry or Tyrone for granted. No bloody way. I'm around long enough to know that in sport, as in life, anything can happen. Jim knows how hard it will be on the day. The players will know it wont be a cake walk. They wont fall for this spiel that all they have to do is turn up and sail away with the cup without breaking sweat. If Dublin are in any way complacent or under par there is a good chance they will be beaten. Full concentration needed for next three weeks for the biggest game in all their lives. The hype and pressure will be unavoidable but with Jim in charge i'm sure things wont get out of hand. One more hurdle left. Calm heads. Composure. Intelligence. Ability......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Seadin wrote: »

There was never the sense of resignation about that Kilkenny team as there is now around this Dublin one.

That was an awesome Kilkenny team but that's what it was, an awesome TEAM. Once those great players started coming to the end of their careers we all knew Kilkenny would come back to the pack, (not before winning 4 more all Irelands mind).

That Kilkenny team had no advantage over the rest of the country in terms of population and funding so it would have been statistically very unlikely that they could keep producing superior teams to the rest of the country.

This current Dublin side are an awesome team no doubt but they're far more than that. They are a machine, a production line. For everyone that drops off there's 2 more every bit as good chomping at the bit to make the panel never mind the team.

By dint of population and funding advantages that Dublin have over everyone else it would be statistically very unlikely if they didn't continue producing superior players and teams than everyone else.

People may say that it's only the last 10 years Dublin have began dominating and that's true but that's simply because they were drastically underperforming for the 20 years before that but now that they know how to harness these millions in funding and their huge population there will be no going back and Dublin will continue to dominate.

Dublin won't win every single all ireland because there's always the chance of a shock but if nothing changes I wouldn't be surprised to see Dublin win 9 of the next 10 All Irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If it's a Kerry v Dublin final it will be one hell of a sweet victory for whoever's wins it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Aside from that, is there any achievement for Dublin really? It'll always be tainted that they're participating in what is practically financial doping. More money, more resources, more advantages than everyone else.

Kerry and Kilkenny have dominated at times too but the difference is what advantage did Kerry have over everyone else? Was it financial? Was it population? Was it home advantage? No, it was a pure obsession with the codes in each county.

Of course it's an achievement. It's an incredible effort from the core group. To say otherwise is either ignorance or begrudgery. It's not like this Dublin team have introduced a huge number of new players since 2015. 11 starters today played in that final.

There is a core of players who have been the backbone of this side and will have the 5 medals if Dublin win it. They've gone something around 34 games unbeaten in the Championship. Kerry won 4 titles by winning only 18 including a title after only winning 3 matches in 1980 which was a significant advantage other sides didn't enjoy. Perhaps that should be discounted as football was not very strong that year and they were allowed go straight to a Munster final?

There was never the sense of resignation about that Kilkenny team as there is now around this Dublin one.

That was an awesome Kilkenny team but that's what it was, an awesome TEAM. Once those great players started coming to the end of their careers we all knew Kilkenny would come back to the pack, (not before winning 4 more all Irelands mind).

That Kilkenny team had no advantage over the rest of the country in terms of population and funding so it would have been statistically very unlikely that they could keep producing superior teams to the rest of the country.

This current Dublin side are an awesome team no doubt but they're far more than that. They are a machine, a production line. For everyone that drops off there's 2 more every bit as good chomping at the bit to make the panel never mind the team.

By dint of population and funding advantages that Dublin have over everyone else it would be statistically very unlikely if they didn't continue producing superior players and teams than everyone else.

People may say that it's only the last 10 years Dublin have began dominating and that's true but that's simply because they were drastically underperforming for the 20 years before that but now that they know how to harness these millions in funding and their huge population there will be no going back and Dublin will continue to dominate.

Dublin won't win every single all ireland because there's always the chance of a shock but if nothing changes I wouldn't be surprised to see Dublin win 9 of the next 10 All Irelands

They're already on for 7 of the last 9 and the gap is widening...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

Don’t bring the elephant in the room into the debate? Right. What’s next? Can’t bring the home advantage into it either? F**ks sake.
    Right then so. Every game is taken on its merits.

The merits are:

1. Home Advantage
    2. Population
    3. 🀫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

I think if Dublin are beaten. It will be the start of the end for Dublin. Winning becomes a habit and finally when a great team is beaten. They become vunerable like a great boxer who gets defeated. Doubt becomes instilled in the mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement