Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

There was never the sense of resignation about that Kilkenny team as there is now around this Dublin one.

That was an awesome Kilkenny team but that's what it was, an awesome TEAM. Once those great players started coming to the end of their careers we all knew Kilkenny would come back to the pack, (not before winning 4 more all Irelands mind).

That Kilkenny team had no advantage over the rest of the country in terms of population and funding so it would have been statistically very unlikely that they could keep producing superior teams to the rest of the country.

This current Dublin side are an awesome team no doubt but they're far more than that. They are a machine, a production line. For everyone that drops off there's 2 more every bit as good chomping at the bit to make the panel never mind the team.

By dint of population and funding advantages that Dublin have over everyone else it would be statistically very unlikely if they didn't continue producing superior players and teams than everyone else.

People may say that it's only the last 10 years Dublin have began dominating and that's true but that's simply because they were drastically underperforming for the 20 years before that but now that they know how to harness these millions in funding and their huge population there will be no going back and Dublin will continue to dominate.

Dublin won't win every single all ireland because there's always the chance of a shock but if nothing changes I wouldn't be surprised to see Dublin win 9 of the next 10 All Irelands

I think if Dublin are beaten. It will be the start of the end for Dublin. Winning becomes a habit and finally when a great team is beaten. They become vunerable like a great boxer who gets defeated. Doubt becomes instilled in the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

doc_17 wrote: »
    Don’t bring the elephant in the room into the debate? Right. What’s next? Can’t bring the home advantage into it either? F**ks sake.
    Right then so. Every game is taken on its merits.

The merits are:

1. Home Advantage
    2. Population
    3. ��

Population is one thing
    Money is another in relation to funding and sponsorship
    Better facilities is another
    But all of your big games at home venue and a very normal match day routine is yet another.
    Even down to last night.

Mayo lads all staying in a strange bed in a hotel in Castleknock after 3 hours bus journey.
    All the dubs in their own beds and their own surroundings and playing in their own city

It’s advantage after advantage for the boys in blue.

Advantages don’t put the ball in the net by themselves but they help.

I said mayo would be in it at half time
    And would probably be ahead by 2-3.

I thought mayo would last in the contest til 63-65 mins.

2-6 conceded in first 12 mins of second half with nothing scored and it was game over.

O Callaghan took his goals so well and Mannion’s points were sublime and then Fenton put the cherry on top and nearly added sprinkles.

Some amazing footballers.

I hope they enjoy their 5 in a row.

I just hope HQ take action before they get 10

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Too true. No trophy in the cabinet yet. No big shindig in the Gibson yet. No session in Pipers Corner on the Monday yet. Boars Head will have to wait. Party time in Smithfield? Not a chance. Stupid talk all this 10 in a row nonsense. The 5 in a row is going to be huge pressure. I'm not taking beating Kerry or Tyrone for granted. No bloody way. I'm around long enough to know that in sport, as in life, anything can happen. Jim knows how hard it will be on the day. The players will know it wont be a cake walk. They wont fall for this spiel that all they have to do is turn up and sail away with the cup without breaking sweat. If Dublin are in any way complacent or under par there is a good chance they will be beaten. Full concentration needed for next three weeks for the biggest game in all their lives. The hype and pressure will be unavoidable but with Jim in charge i'm sure things wont get out of hand. One more hurdle left. Calm heads. Composure. Intelligence. Ability......

This is cute and all but in reality no. Its gunna be pissed home by 10+ points in the next few finals no bother. Let alone this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Should have been a straight red too, as was O'Donohue's elbow, and probably McLoughlin's stamp (some interpretation/ambiguity maybe on the last one).
    A straight red means the player misses the next championship game, in this case a Connacht championship game.

Referee should enforce the rules of the game, and not feel sorry for the Mayo lads losing the heads hist cause they were being hammered.

The RTE response bothered me more. McLoughlin stands on Niall Scully and O’Donoghue elbows O'Callaghan. Both incidents passed without mention. Actually i tell a lie McStay had a word to say about Con acting the maggot. He deserved it like. Could you imagine a Dublin player doing the same thing and them letting it go. Worse. Could you imagine Diarmuid Connolly doing it and it passing without mention.

I'm not one for tinfoil hat stuff but there's a clear double standard from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is cute and all but in reality no. Its gunna be pissed home by 10+ points in the next few finals no bother. Let alone this years.

I'm sure they were saying the same back in August, 1982.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

I'm waiting for the inevitable:

Let's split the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The lad beside me from Swinford blames Hennelly for the collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Fann Linn wrote: »

He could be onto something. Hennelly kicked the same ball out to o Shea every time who was outnumbered 4 to 1.
    A few longer ones over the top could've helped break out of their own half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It had a bit of the shades of Morgan in last year's final when Dublin - Fenton mainly - cleaned him out for 3/4 kick outs and Dublin took them to the bank.

Saw on tape that AOS was giving out to Hennelly, but Aidan was the one supposed to be catching the jaysus thing! Maybe he should have kicked short and tried to settle them after first goal, but when Dublin are in that mood, I wouldn't like to be the one deciding these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

corny wrote: »
    Should have been a straight red too, as was O'Donohue's elbow, and probably McLoughlin's stamp (some interpretation/ambiguity maybe on the last one).
    A straight red means the player misses the next championship game, in this case a Connacht championship game.

Referee should enforce the rules of the game, and not feel sorry for the Mayo lads losing the heads hist cause they were being hammered.

The RTE response bothered me more. McLoughlin stands on Niall Scully and O’Donoghue elbows O'Callaghan. Both incidents passed without mention. Actually i tell a lie McStay had a word to say about Con acting the maggot. He deserved it like. Could you imagine a Dublin player doing the same thing and them letting it go. Worse. Could you imagine Diarmuid Connolly doing it and it passing without mention.

I'm not one for tinfoil hat stuff but there's a clear double standard from them.
    Having seen all that I’m sure you enjoyed MacCauley havin a couple a swings and elbows at men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm waiting for the inevitable:

Let's split the county.

Ahhh sure Let’s split a few bottles of champagne amongst us all, enjoy what has been an excellent day, both entertaining and skillful and fûck the begrudgery.... we saw the best team in the land beat a bunch, sorry hammer a bunch of sly diggers and it seems sly digging is contagious considering some of the contributions here...

Win loose or draw I’m happy to give credit where it is merited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From Twitter:
    I haven't seen 15 Dubs do that much damage in 10 minutes since the Lidl in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Would agree O'Connors was a straight red. A despicable looking player.

As for the others I didnt see O'Donohues but I felt McLoughlins was not bad. Yest he stamped or stood on him nut I dont think there was any malice in it.

Talk of hate among players is a bit strong. I think as we could see today there is a lot of respect. I think nearly every Dublin player sought out Andy Moran to shake his hand. Tom Parsons got a great reception from both sets of supporters. Maybe for 70+ minutes the players hate each other but I think thats it and that is how it should be.

The referee done a decent job and triied to let things flow. The yellow for Fenton and Ruane were a little harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I don't understand the accusations of mayo capitulating....yeah they dropped a few shots short in the second half but they were ten down by then.
    For me Dublin swarmed the o Sheas with 4 lads waiting for the breaking ball, mayo couldn't get outta their half and Dublin racked up the scores.
    When Dublin went a few points up and the mayo kick outs weren't ending up in mayo hands, hennelly should've had options to go long over midfield. Or maybe he did and didn't take them options?

No doubt Dublin played exceptionally well first 10 minutes of second half. They scored with all but one of their shots during that period.

But Mayo could still have been a lot closer when Keegan scored his goal. Both of Dublins goals Mayo will be furious with their defending.

Rock point free 36
    Durcan short from 35 metres under little pressure on 36 minutes
    O'Callaghan goal 37 (Keegan slip)
    Scully point play 39
    Mannion play 40
    Rock free 41
    Mannion 42 play
    O' Connor missed free 44
    O' Callaghan goal 46 (left one on one 12 metres out from goal from a direct free kick)
    Durcan into keepers hands from 32 metres out under no pressure 46 minutes
    Mannion play 47
    McDonagh wide from 27 metres 48 minutes
    Durcan wide 30 metres 49 minutes
    Keegan wide 27 metres 51 under very little pressure
    Keegan goal 52

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Intercounty is GAA is dead. Absurd funding, population and a Dublin centric economy have handed it over to Dublin. I won't mention them having extra home matches in Croke Park, it's far beyond that. I honestly can see them winning 10 in a row maybe 20. Who will ever beat them with the advantages they have.

Today is a very sad day for the GAA. I won't be attending county games anymore I don't think, no interest in watching a rigged system. Can see many not bothering anymore especially from counties outside the big 4 or 5. Back to club football, real GAA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

rossie1977 wrote: »
    O' Connor missed free 44
    O' Callaghan goal 46 (left one on one 12 metres out from goal from a direct free kick)
    Durcan into keepers hands from 32 metres out under no pressure 46 minutes
    Mannion play 47
    McDonagh wide from 27 metres 48 minutes
    Durcan wide 30 metres 49 minutes
    Keegan wide 27 metres 51 under very little pressure

Those misses really hurt alright. Might have made a game of it but Dublin would have ran out winners anyway. Their fitness and movement was supreme.
    I don't know when they will be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Intercounty is GAA is dead. Absurd funding, population and a Dublin centric economy have handed it over to Dublin. I won't mention them having extra home matches in Croke Park, it's far beyond that. I honestly can see them winning 10 in a row maybe 20. Who will ever beat them with the advantages they have.

Today is a very sad day for the GAA. I won't be attending county games anymore I don't think, no interest in watching a rigged system. Can see many not bothering anymore especially from counties outside the big 4 or 5. Back to club football, real GAA.

:rolleyes:

You're privileged to be able to see some of the greatest exponents of football in any era ever to grace the game. Gaelic football played like this Dublin team play in full flow really is a beautiful sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's mad to think if Connolly was never in trouble with the law he'd probably be in the states now.

You're some man 99.

Yourself and your incarnations.

The doc and you are well suited along with a few others

I often commiserate with losing fans. I've been there, it's not nice.

But having posters like you around does add to the winning experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A tiered championship will solve the problem

According to our current GAA president
    Dublin getting all that money is not the issur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

There was never the sense of resignation about that Kilkenny team as there is now around this Dublin one.

That was an awesome Kilkenny team but that's what it was, an awesome TEAM. Once those great players started coming to the end of their careers we all knew Kilkenny would come back to the pack, (not before winning 4 more all Irelands mind).

That Kilkenny team had no advantage over the rest of the country in terms of population and funding so it would have been statistically very unlikely that they could keep producing superior teams to the rest of the country.

This current Dublin side are an awesome team no doubt but they're far more than that. They are a machine, a production line. For everyone that drops off there's 2 more every bit as good chomping at the bit to make the panel never mind the team.

By dint of population and funding advantages that Dublin have over everyone else it would be statistically very unlikely if they didn't continue producing superior players and teams than everyone else.

People may say that it's only the last 10 years Dublin have began dominating and that's true but that's simply because they were drastically underperforming for the 20 years before that but now that they know how to harness these millions in funding and their huge population there will be no going back and Dublin will continue to dominate.

Dublin won't win every single all ireland because there's always the chance of a shock but if nothing changes I wouldn't be surprised to see Dublin win 9 of the next 10 All Irelands

Chalk it down.

Anyone thinking Dublin will get a competitive game in the final or will fade away in a few years are living in absolute cloud cuckoo land

Its becoming an SPL-like situation. They've now achieved unparalleled dominance in Leinster and this is now predictably seeping into the All Ireland series also.

And still we'll see ridiculous clutching at straws ahead of the final. "Well they haven't been tested" "if Mayo had Doherty" "Never write off Kerry/Tyrone" bla bla bla

And wait till next year "no-one coming through" "ahhh they won't be bothered about 6 in a row" "they won't have the hunger" etc etc

We all love the fairytale element of sport, and the romantics in us tend to grasp on to this outlandish notion that there is actually a competitive championship in there somewhere, but as sure as Celtic will piss the SPL, as sure as Lewis Hamilton will win the f1 Championship, Dublin will have procession after procession going forward

And finally comparing this to Kerry in the 80s and KK in the 00s is laughable. FFS look at the population alone, and that's before we get into Croke Park element, funding, access to top coaches, logistics, and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Who are counties 1-5?

Who are counties 1-5?
    Donegal Tyrone Dubs Mayo Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Stoner wrote: »
    Your are some man 99.

Yourself and your incarnations.

The doc and you are well suited along with a few others

I often commiserate with losing fans, I've been there, it's not nice.

But having posters like you around does add to the winning experience.
    Easy when you can just hop on a Dublin bus or dart and walk home

Tell that to the lad from achill or belmullet who is probably not even near home yet

Just enjoy the win, against all the odds....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Lads so now today's massacre is over. Who wins the B semi tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hard to think that any meaningful debate will come from those that confuse loose and lose. Or could have and could of. That should be more off limits than the Dublin financial advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Donegal Tyrone Dubs Mayo Kerry

Wahoo. Donegal 1st too :cool:

Lads so now today's massacre is over. Who wins the B semi tomorrow?

Looking forward to a good game. Hard one to call. Kerry favourites and have the extra stardust up front but i'll give Tyrone the nod by 1-3 points.

• Advertisement

Rangers will run Celtic close this year. Wouldn't be that surprised if they even won the league.
    They might but not sure they have enough. It might actually benefit Celtic in the long run if Rangers were better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement