Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

The long trip home for the winners will be enjoyable tonight:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

corny wrote: »
    Should have been a straight red too, as was O'Donohue's elbow, and probably McLoughlin's stamp (some interpretation/ambiguity maybe on the last one).
    A straight red means the player misses the next championship game, in this case a Connacht championship game.

Referee should enforce the rules of the game, and not feel sorry for the Mayo lads losing the heads hist cause they were being hammered.

The RTE response bothered me more. McLoughlin stands on Niall Scully and O’Donoghue elbows O'Callaghan. Both incidents passed without mention. Actually i tell a lie McStay had a word to say about Con acting the maggot. He deserved it like. Could you imagine a Dublin player doing the same thing and them letting it go. Worse. Could you imagine Diarmuid Connolly doing it and it passing without mention.

I'm not one for tinfoil hat stuff but there's a clear double standard from them.

You obviously missed MDMA trying his damndest to split as many lads as he could with an elbow in the first half. 3 separate occasions he tried but didn't get the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Seadin wrote: »
    Lads dont count yer chickens saying Dublin will do 10 and 15 in a row with All Irelands. We were hearing the same about Kilkenny in 2010 and how they be never beaten in this decade. Tipp threw away the script that day and destroyed them and ended the 5 in a row dream. Dublin havent won it yet even if they are better than kerry and tyrone right now.

In fairness, Tipp had put KK to the pin of their collar in 2009 and could have won that game with a progressive team. 2010 was always going to be a tough one for KK against that Tipp side with revenge on their mind.
    Dublins 5 in a row seems to be getting progressively easier. Not a glove laid on em or a game not over by the 60th minute since the 2017 AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The GAA could not have designed a more effective means of favouring the stronger teams than the back door and super 8s , no shocks , no tension ,just inevitability .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

threeball wrote: »
    corny wrote: »
    Should have been a straight red too, as was O'Donohue's elbow, and probably McLoughlin's stamp (some interpretation/ambiguity maybe on the last one).
    A straight red means the player misses the next championship game, in this case a Connacht championship game.

Referee should enforce the rules of the game, and not feel sorry for the Mayo lads losing the heads hist cause they were being hammered.

The RTE response bothered me more. McLoughlin stands on Niall Scully and O’Donoghue elbows O'Callaghan. Both incidents passed without mention. Actually i tell a lie McStay had a word to say about Con acting the maggot. He deserved it like. Could you imagine a Dublin player doing the same thing and them letting it go. Worse. Could you imagine Diarmuid Connolly doing it and it passing without mention.

I'm not one for tinfoil hat stuff but there's a clear double standard from them.

You obviously missed MDMA trying his damndest to split as many lads as he could with an elbow in the first half. 3 separate occasions he tried but didn't get the connection.

He didn’t miss it. He couldn’t have given all the things he saw his players do there in their own home ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

They might but not sure they have enough. It might actually benefit Celtic in the long run if Rangers were better.

If Rangers cancut out dropping silly points to some of the lesser teams like they did last season they have a chance. In saying that they nearly blew 2 silly late points last week away to Kilmarnock but escaped with an injury time winner. Hope Celtic do the 9 and 10 but Rangers will move heaven and earth to stop that from happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Thought I was the only one who saw that. Don’t know how he stayed on the pitch to be honest.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Seadin wrote: »
    Lads dont count yer chickens saying Dublin will do 10 and 15 in a row with All Irelands. We were hearing the same about Kilkenny in 2010 and how they be never beaten in this decade. Tipp threw away the script that day and destroyed them and ended the 5 in a row dream. Dublin havent won it yet even if they are better than kerry and tyrone right now.

In fairness, Tipp had put KK to the pin of their collar in 2009 and could have won that game with a progressive team. 2010 was always going to be a tough one for KK against that Tipp side with revenge on their mind.
    Dublins 5 in a row seems to be getting progressively easier. Not a glove laid on em or a game not over by the 60th minute since the 2017 AI.

KK were also not hammering all comers. They were up against it on plenty of occasions only to pull a goal or two out of the bag in the closing 5 to 10 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The GAA could not have designed a more effective means of favouring the stronger teams than the back door and super 8s , no shocks , no tension ,just inevitability .
    Indeed, meant to be a championship and theres barely any knockout football.

Tyrone racing into a 05 v 01 lead after 15 mins in last years final was looking a little dodgy as a Dub. What if we missed the penalty that brought us back into it and got the crowd going? If we meet Tyrone in this years final they will be extra hard to beat. A bit like Kilkenny trying to beat Tipp for the second year in a row or Kerry trying to beat Offaly in '82 fir the second final in a row. It wont be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lads so now today's massacre is over. Who wins the B semi tomorrow?

I think Kerry would be better set to give Dublin a game (albeit they're probably a year or two ahead of schedule with this new bunch).
    Unfortunately, I don't think they'll get past Tyrone tomorrow. Dublin will then do a demolition job on Tyrone in the final - as has been show in the past St Mickey hasn't got a plan B when plan A is being made sh1t of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You're privileged to be able to see some of the greatest exponents of football in any era ever to grace the game. Gaelic football played like this Dublin team play in full flow really is a beautiful sight to behold.

This type nonsense is hilarious. They might aswell be playing Leitrim week in week out. Its not a sport anymore. Just weekly culls. I guess thats exciting for some?

Tyrone racing into a 05 v 01 lead after 15 mins in last years final was looking a little dodgy as a Dub. What if we missed the penalty that brought us back into it and got the crowd going? If we meet Tyrone in this years final they will be extra hard to beat. A bit like Kilkenny trying to beat Tipp for the second year in a row or Kerry trying to beat Offaly in '82 fir the second final in a row. It wont be easy.

The match last year was over at half time. Don't even think of comparing that stroll in the park to the 2009 AI hurling final.
    Tyrone will have no chance in the AI v Dublin. If they get there and its still a game by the 50th minute I will be amazed.

I think Kerry would be better set to give Dublin a game (albeit they're probably a year or two ahead of schedule with this new bunch).
    Unfortunately, I don't think they'll get past Tyrone tomorrow. Dublin will then do a demolition job on Tyrone in the final - as has been show in the past St Mickey hasn't got a plan B when plan A is being made sh1t of.

He doesn't have a Plan A v the Dubs. Donegal made ****e of his Plan A for Dublin in Ulster, so he went back to the plan that would get them the farthest in the championship but would have no chance of troubling the Dubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Lads so now today's massacre is over. Who wins the B semi tomorrow?

Looking forward to a good game. Hard one to call. Kerry favourites and have the extra stardust up front but i'll give Tyrone the nod by 1-3 points.

Defo a good game. I feel Kerry's inexperienced forward line (compared to Tyrone) will be a deciding factor. David Clifford is unbelievable but will pressure tell

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Misguided1 wrote: »

Thought I was the only one who saw that. Don’t know how he stayed on the pitch to be honest.

See, all that funding and MDMA misses three handy ones. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

He doesn't have a Plan A v the Dubs. Donegal made ****e of his Plan A for Dublin in Ulster, so he went back to the plan that would get them the farthest in the championship but would have no chance of troubling the Dubs.

Yeah plan 0 mist be outplaying you with 14 men 20mins left to knock you out of winning the league this year.

The match last year was over at half time. Don't even think of comparing that stroll in the park to the 2009 AI hurling final.
    Tyrone will have no chance in the AI v Dublin. If they get there and its still a game by the 50th minute I will be amazed.

Of course they will have a chance. They beat us well in the league. Good team. Kerry couldn't beat Offaly in 82 for second year in a row. Tyrone would improve on last year. Im sure they learned some lessons like all good teams would. The defeatist tone on here by some is pathetic. Why dont ye just tune out and leave it to the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Stop, it'll be a drubbing altogether

Could see it being record low ratings aswell - perhaps only saved by the 5 in a row element. I doubt I'd even bother watching myself tbh

Dublin will hammer Kerry too, but there'll be enough nonsense about Kerry being "destined" to be the team that stops the 5 in a row from the media, and "kerry being Kerry" cliches, to draw in a sizeable enough gullible segment

Yeah plan 0 mist be outplaying you with 14 men 20mins left to knock you out of winning the league this year.

Irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Easy when you can just hop on a Dublin bus or dart and walk home

Tell that to the lad from achill or belmullet who is probably not even near home yet

Just enjoy the win, against all the odds....

Just home meself now. Enjoyable drive home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Easy when you can just hop on a Dublin bus or dart and walk home

Tell that to the lad from achill or belmullet who is probably not even near home yet

Just enjoy the win, against all the odds....

Just home meself now. Enjoyable drive home.

Mayo fans done Yas proud. They were loud and behind the team for the game.

jr86 wrote: »

Could see it being record low ratings aswell - perhaps only saved by the 5 in a row element. I doubt I'd even bother watching myself tbh

Dublin will hammer Kerry too, but there'll be enough nonsense about Kerry being "destined" to be the team that stops the 5 in a row from the media, and "kerry being Kerry" cliches, to draw in a sizeable enough gullible segment

I'm sure you'll watch it. Often here that comment but you can be sure they all watch. Ratings would be massive. Dublin are box office. 5 in a row is legendary. Tyrone or Kerry are very successful and proud counties and we love All Ireland final day in this country so it will be as big as ever, if not bigger. The very few who can't stomach it through jealousy or anger or bitterness or whatever, thats their loss, the show will go on regardless in all its pomp. Cannot wait for the build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'm sure you'll watch it. Often here that comment but you can be sure they all watch.

Well I didn't watch last year live.

Was dying of a hangover in fairness :pac: but knew it'd be a complete procession.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Irrelevant.

Yeah if you win the AI it's irrelevant too as we were focusing on beating you in the league.

I like this game

I'm sure you'll watch it. Often here that comment but you can be sure they all watch. Ratings would be massive. Dublin are box office. 5 in a row is legendary. Tyrone or Kerry are very successful and proud counties and we love All Ireland final day in this country so it will be as big as ever, if not bigger. The very few who can't stomach it through jealousy or anger or bitterness or whatever, thats their loss, the show will go on regardlessin all its pomp. Cannot wait for the build up.

The ratings have been lower than the hurling for the first time ever. Terrible attendances apart from today for most of the year too. So no everyone is not watching and certainly not box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Back in 2017 before the final I posted on the Dublin thread about at what stage that season (2017) Dublin took the lead for the last time in a game

It was kind of a gauge to see how well teams fared against them because you often hear stuff like "so and so only lost to Dublin by x".

Anyway in 2017 it was as follws

In the 2017 final v Mayo Dublin took the lead for the last time on the 73 minute or close to it

So in 2016 v Kerry it was actually the 72nd minute that they took the lead for good.
    Based on most of Dublin's games that was very late

While we are at it here are the numbers for 2018 and 2019 to date

V Wicklow - 1st minute
    v Longford - 1st minute
    v Loais - 19th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Donegal - 25th minute (Donegal lead up to the 22nd minute)
    v Tyrone - 22nd Minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Roscommon - 6th minute (dead rubber)
    v Galway - 27th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Tyrone - 22nd minute

v Louth - first 5 minutes or so, not sure
    v Kildare - 4th minute
    v Meath - 11th minute (the first score of the game)
    v Cork 18th minute
    v Roscommon - 11th minute
    v Tyrone - 8th minute

The latest Dublin have been level or behind in almost two championship season is the 27th minute
    Not even half time

For those keeping count today was the 36 minute. So Mayo defeated in a similar manner and margin as Galway last year in the AI semi final v Dublin.

Will Kerry or Tyrone do any better in the final?

Well I didn't watch last year live.

Was dying of a hangover in fairness :pac: but knew it'd be a complete procession.

The demon drink. Jaysus must been bad if you were still dyin sick by 3.30 throw in. Throw up time be more apt id say ha.

I'm sure you'll watch it. Often here that comment but you can be sure they all watch. Ratings would be massive. Dublin are box office. 5 in a row is legendary. Tyrone or Kerry are very successful and proud counties and we love All Ireland final day in this country so it will be as big as ever, if not bigger. The very few who can't stomach it through jealousy or anger or bitterness or whatever, thats their loss, the show will go on regardlessin all its pomp. Cannot wait for the build up.

If its Kerry as someone said earlier, there will be enough nonsense spouted about them stopped the Dubs being GOAT over the Kerry team of 70s/80s to make somewhat of a build up to it.
    If its Tyrone, I think the media will struggle to build it up and really engage any of the neutrals. I'm not sure ratings will be all that great.
    I will certainly watch it. I won't be angry, bitter or jealous, but as a neutral it is disappointing that the top team in the country hasn't been tested in 2 years. Not the Dubs fault, they are an outstanding team. Its really hard to see how they can be beaten if they play anywhere near their mark.

• Advertisement

Yeah if you win the AI it's irrelevant too as we were focusing on beating you in the league.

I like this game

Not a Dub. And too late of a Saturday night for me to play with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement