Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Donegal are the only team standing in the way of a five in a row I think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stoner wrote: »
    Did you see Donegal?
    That keeper is a joy to Watch.

No handy All Stars for Clarke now Yop!!!

How do you like them apples??

Seriously though, he's destroyed Tyrone and now Cavan, and they can score from distance too.

Lots of handy things for them to improve on too and that was no where near a 4 point game.

Its becoming the saying of the championship, but genuinely they are building very nicely there, the management them seem to be doing well too. Was saying it last year too, they've the footballers in the right places, they just need the stars to align to avoid injuries and Murphy to avoid a red card in a big game.

Ya I watched that game and the Armagh game and as I said the performance of Armagh away was better than Donegal.
    If Harte wasn't black carded then could have been a different story.
    Clarke made more saves not shown on the highlights.
    Apples?

Murphy leads that team but they have nice mix all over. That said until they come up against the bigger teams it's hard to gauge how it's all settling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

eagle eye wrote: »

After that Kerry performance I’d say you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Probably, but on all known form atm, they would still seem to be a fair bit behind Dublin. They gave plenty of attackers well able to score, but some of the goals they let in today speak of a slackness that will be punished by the dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    After that Kerry performance I’d say you're right.

It’s early days and there is plenty of time for things to change. I would not be surprised if at the end of the Super 8’s there is a new form team that are the only thing standing in Dublin’s way be it Tyrone, Mayo or Kerry. Donegal are going well right now but there is a lot of football to be played yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Kerry by far the least impressive of the four Provincial Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

While this is an exciting time to be a Donegal fan, and I’m thoroughly enjoying the performances to date, the business end of the season is yet to start.

Last year we blitzed Ulster, although against poorer opposition. And fell short of a semi final. Still could be a very tricky group to negotiate, injuries etc. And I fancy at least one of Mayo, Tyrone or Kerry to hit some form in the Super 8’s and be the next big white hope to take down Dublin

So cautiously optimistic....ah fcuk it, a last minute Michael Murphy goal to beat them in the final. Tir Conaill Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Donegal only team looking like they might beat Dublin and are nailed on to make the semis, and probably head the group so avoid Dublin who will do likewise in other group until the final.

Dubs/Donegal final.

Arnold, you have McBrearty back. Huge factor. None of the contenders have a forward of his class. Not even Clifford/

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Meath led the latest team the D4 Media are desperately trying to hype us as contenders LOL for most of the League Final and scored 1-15

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why haven't the hurlers taken over if it's all about population and money?

The Dublin hurlers have improved massively over the last decade. You could argue it's the best Dublin hurling team ever considering their old AI winning sides from the 20's/30's were full of lads from out the country who just lived in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Only team to beat the Dubs will be themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Donegal only team looking like they might beat Dublin and are nailed on to make the semis, and probably head the group so avoid Dublin who will do likewise in other group until the final.

I wouldn't say Donegal are nailed on just yet. I mean they could potentially end up in a group with some variation of Kerry along with Mayo, Galway, Tyrone, etc. Depending on how the draws go of course. I mean they'll be favoured but they'd have a bit of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Donegal are heading in the right direction but are far from the finished product
    They are a Michael Murphy injury or suspension away from huge trouble too
    HUGE player for them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I wouldn't say Donegal are nailed on just yet. I mean they could potentially end up in a group with some variation of Kerry along with Mayo, Galway, Tyrone, etc. Depending on how the draws go of course. I mean they'll be favoured but they'd have a bit of work to do.

Since 2013 Mayo have done well against Donegal, who knows, but I think Donegal's additions to the panel and with a former Mayo manager onboard I think Donegals have a jump on them.

I couldn't see the kerry halfback line holding Donegal either, not with their injuries this year.

I think they'd take care of Tyrone again too, that monkey is well off their back.

The harder the games the better for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Kerry. Only the mystique is persuading people that they are contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Who thinks they're contenders?

Dublin will win it out, we just have go through the formalities of the championship structure before we get there.

I’d agree Kerry are not contenders but who is clearly ahead of them? The standard is just so poor now outside the obviously excellent Dubs. I’m not boarding the Donegal hype train myself, Kerry will shore up some of the issues we saw yesterday and give them a right good game in Croker imo.

Media and fans seem to be building Donegal up but I don’t think the Ulster championship is the fire pit it once was you have a lot of average enough teams there including Cavan who racked up a nice score today. Dublin will beat Donegal, Kerry, Mayo or Tyrone without much fuss in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I’d agree Kerry are not contenders but who is clearly ahead of them? The standard is just so poor now outside the obviously excellent Dubs. I’m not boarding the Donegal hype train myself, Kerry will shore up some of the issues we saw yesterday and give them a right good game in Croker imo.

Media and fans seem to be building Donegal up but I don’t think the Ulster championship is the fire pit it once was you have a lot of average enough teams there including Cavan who racked up a nice score today. Dublin will beat Donegal, Kerry, Mayo or Tyrone without much fuss in Croke Park.

The thing is, there are not many Donegal fans who genuinely believe that we can take down Dublin, but we live in hope. That’s what sport is all about. We live in hope that somehow we can put in a perfect performance with a bit of luck thrown in. Someone has to do it eventually, but unlikely to be this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

At least 4 teams as I'd expect for a 2nd year in a row that Kerry won't reach the last 4. Lets be honest its going to take a lot longer than 3 weeks to shore up all the issues Kerry currently have.

The thing is, there are not many Donegal fans who genuinely believe that we can take down Dublin, but we live in hope. That’s what sport is all about. We live in hope that somehow we can put in a perfect performance with a bit of luck thrown in. Someone has to do it eventually, but unlikely to be this year

Of course there is hope. Someone will eventually beat Dublin in the championship and it will be a huge shock when it happens. It may be this year or next, I don’t know.

I like what Donegal are doing but the business end is only starting now. Many teams have looked dire at this time of year in the past and gone on a run, and likewise teams have looked great this time of year and fallen flat later on.

It does look very much like Dublin’s to lose though.

• Advertisement

At least 4 teams as I'd expect for a 2nd year in a row that Kerry won't reach the last 4. Lets be honest its going to take a lot longer than 3 weeks to shore up all the issues Kerry currently have.

Drop a sweeper between midfield and the full back line and instruct the backs to stop bombing forward like they did all last night and they will be a much more solid unit. Their efficiency up front is good and Murphy, White, Moran and Barry are nowhere near fully fit, a few more weeks and another game will see them better if there are no more setbacks.

Kerry can improve and I am not convinced by any of the others quite frankly. There is probably a kick of a ball between themselves, Donegal, Tyrone and Mayo on any given day imo. Dublin are well ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Only team to beat the Dubs will be themselves.
    The decision to split Dublin hasn't been made yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Of course there is hope. Someone will eventually beat Dublin in the championship and it will be a huge shock when it happens. It may be this year or next, I don’t know.

I like what Donegal are doing but the business end is only starting now. Many teams have looked dire at this time of year in the past and gone on a run, and likewise teams have looked great this time of year and fallen flat later on.

It does look very much like Dublin’s to lose though.
    It's not guaranteed that Dublin will be beaten but I do live in hope that a once off loss will eventually happen. Every year they seem to get stronger and the rest weaker. If that trend isn't reversed they could potentially never lose Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know if its as cut and dry that Dublin are a miles ahead after yesterday.

Yes the conditions contributed, and Meath were plucky enough, but that first half was arguably the worst Dublin have played in years. No cohesion at all, passes didn't stick, uncharacteristically sloppy. When the last time it took them 10 mins to open the scoring?

Meath actually won more ball around the middle third in terms of breaks despite having the shooting acumen of a junior B relegation-threatened team.

Again, Dublin turned on the afterburners like they tend to do, but were under no pressure whatsoever due to Meath's horrendous shooting.

And assuming McCarthy's injury is as serious as it looks, that could be a huge blow as when push comes to shove he has been their most consistent player during this run, and is the ultimate big-game player.

Although maybe I'm just been a optimist hoping for a competitive championship

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mayo - Armagh
    Kildare - Tyrone
    Westmeath - Clare
    Laois - Offaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Great draw for the last 4 there. All would think they've a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mayo - Armagh
    Kildare - Tyrone
    Westmeath - Clare
    Laois - Offaly

For once it doesn't look like a fixed draw with the four strongest teams drawing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Mayo will feel back on track if they scalp Armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

For once it doesn't look like a fixed draw with the four strongest teams drawing each other.

Imo the best 4 teams are playing each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Great draw for Tyrone, tough for mayo that draw.

Meath, cavan, galway, cork will be delighted. You'll have two weaker teams coming through now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement