Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I'd have Armagh as favourites over Mayo. I know they won the league but Armagh have serious momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The gaa will do everything in there power too keep the big teams away from each other in the next round of the qualifiers esp Mayo vs Tyrone/Kildare

Teams in round 3
    Kildare
    Mayo
    Armagh
    Tryone
    Clare
    Westmeath
    Laois
    Offaly or Sligo

Still claiming this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

C__MC wrote: »
    Great draw for Tyrone

Not sure about that Kildare are decent and are well capable of beating Tyrone especially down in Newbridge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Not sure about that Kildare are decent and are well capable of beating Tyrone especially down in Newbridge.

Tyrone will cruise this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Do the four beaten provincial finalists have home advantage or is it an open draw with neutral venues like last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Do the four beaten provincial finalists have home advantage or is it an open draw with neutral venues like last year?

It'll be qualifier winner vs Provincial runner-up in a neutral ground I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Are repeat pairings allowed in Round 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

eagle eye wrote: »
    For once it doesn't look like a fixed draw with the four strongest teams drawing each other.

It was quite clearly stated by Darren Frehill on RTE radio that one could watch the draw live on television on the RTE news channel.The same has been the case for a long time.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Tyrone will cruise this

Why? Didn't look too handy against Longford. Kildare will give Tyrone problems. They're fit enough to stay with Tyrones running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »
    It was quite clearly stated by Darren Frehill on RTE radio that one could watch the draw live on television on the RTE news channel.The same has been the case for a long time.:confused:

You are probably one of those naïve chaps who believes that Apollo 11 was not shot in a Hollywood hangar, and that Elvis is not working down the chip shop :)

Meantime, I reckon Mayo will beat Armagh with a bit to spare. Kildare might give Tyrone a game depending on where it is and what Tyrone turns up. They have a very unTyrone like tendency to throw the towel in of late. Kildare's ability to ask those sort of questions is another thing ….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

2 of the provincial runners up will be very happy with that draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

threeball wrote: »
    Why? Didn't look too handy against Longford. Kildare will give Tyrone problems. They're fit enough to stay with Tyrones running game.

Tyrone toyed with longford, bar the last ten minutes when game was won. Kildare havent got it, no point saying anything else. Tyrone will beat them and they always have even when mc geeney was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

threeball wrote: »

Exactly. Meath very nearly beat Tyrone last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Interesting draw. Will any of this round be televised does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Interesting draw. Will any of this round be televised does anyone know?

Sky have two of them listed on their schedule for 2019. That said, they had one for round 2 listed too and didn't show one. I'd say they'll do Castlebar and Newbridge if the scheduling works though.

Football Qualifier Round 3, Saturday, 29 June

Football Qualifier Round 3, Saturday, 29 June

Football Qualifier Round 4, Saturday, 6 July

Football Qualifier Round 4, Saturday, 6 July

SFC Quarter Final, Round 1, Saturday, 13 July

SFC Quarter Final, Round 2 (Croke Park), Saturday, 20 July

SFC Quarter Final, Round 2 (Croke Park), Saturday, 20 July

All Ireland Hurling Semi Final, Saturday, 27 July

All Ireland Hurling Semi Final, Sunday, 28 July

SFC Quarter Final, Round 3, Saturday, 3 August

SFC Quarter Final, Round 3, Saturday, 3 August

All-Ireland Football Semi Final, Saturday, 10 August

All Ireland Football Semi Final, Sunday, 11 August

All Ireland Hurling Final, Sunday, 18 August

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seligehgit wrote: »

You think our lizard overlords wouldn't be able to get round that, you poor naive soul?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There was quite a lengthy discussion about the imbalance in Leinster after the draw this morning. Looks like the issues are being acknowledged by GAA HQ. Quite what they can or are willing to do about it, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

BarryD2 wrote: »
    There was quite a lengthy discussion about the imbalance in Leinster after the draw this morning. Looks like the issues are being acknowledged by GAA HQ. Quite what they can or are willing to do about it, I don't know.

I read an article today where the Leinster CEO sees Dublin as the template and criticised the other counties for not reaching their standard so as usual the GAA don't seem to have any coherent message as to what the plan is. From this one it was basically pull up your socks to the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Looks like Sky will be showing KIL/TYR and MAY/ARM based on throw-in times.
    https://twitter.com/rtegaa/status/1143128646485458944?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

You think our lizard overlords wouldn't be able to get round that, you poor naive soul?:D

Where's David Icke when you need him?:D

I'd fancy Tyrone to beat Kildare,I thought Longford would give them a good rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Armagh could make that game with Mayo very interesting if they perform and can win enough possession. They definitely have the forwards to bother a Mayo defence that is creaking and coughed up a lot of chances to Down. I know Mayo are at home but Castlebar hasn't been much of an advantage to Mayo in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Think Armagh could make that game with Mayo very interesting if they perform and can win enough possession. They definitely have the forwards to bother a Mayo defence that is creaking and coughed up a lot of chances to Down. I know Mayo are at home but Castlebar hasn't been much of an advantage to Mayo in recent years.

Armagh will not be as wasteful as Down...who'd be in this round if only they could have scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Something doesnt sit right with me about an ex referee slating current referees ( not to mention the fact that its an entirely different sport) It's a hard enough job without having in affect one of your own publically criticising you - Brian gave a fair few questionable perfromances himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Great draw for Tyrone, tough for mayo that draw.

Meath, cavan, galway, cork will be delighted. You'll have two weaker teams coming through now.
    Semi final spots are up for grabs for any of the above. Cork if they can keep it going from Saturday would be optimistic. Galway and Meath have confidence issues now and would find it hard against most of whats coming through the qualifiers

Edgware wrote: »
    Semi final spots are up for grabs for any of the above. Cork if they can keep it going from Saturday would be optimistic. Galway and Meath have confidence issues now and would find it hard against most of whats coming through the qualifiers

I think everyone knows Dublin are miles ahead. Meath did ok for about 50 mins and would expect them to be very competitive next game no matter who comes through.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Something doesnt sit right with me about an ex referee slating current referees ( not to mention the fact that its an entirely different sport) It's a hard enough job without having in affect one of your own publically criticising you - Brian gave a fair few questionable perfromances himself!

Yeah unusual but the ref Saturday night was a disgrace with some of the decisions against Cork. You could barely touch a Kerry lad and he’d give a free while different rules applied at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I think everyone knows Dublin are miles ahead. Meath did ok for about 50 mins and would expect them to be very competitive next game no matter who comes through.

It'll be hard for meath to lift themselves after yesterday imo. Not the fact that they got bet (it was always very likely), but the fact they only scored 4 points had to have had an effect on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah unusual but the ref Saturday night was a disgrace with some of the decisions against Cork. You could barely touch a Kerry lad and he’d give a free while different rules applied at the other end.

I especially liked the one where he really punished Brian Hurley with a yellow card for the late shoulder in the first half (which should have been black) and let Paul Geaney off scott free by just giving him a black card for the exact same offence in the 2nd half. The fact Geaney had been booked already and would have been sent off anyway is irrelevant to the point about 2 different cards for the same foul.

The absolute crowing from the Cork public is pathetic. The ref was just shíte. Cork still couldn't get the job done against 14 men and got the rub of a few decisions themselves that Cork fans seem to conveniently not see or remember.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I especially liked the one where he really punished Brian Hurley with a yellow card for the late shoulder in the first half (which should have been black) and let Paul Geaney off scott free by just giving him a black card for the exact same offence in the 2nd half. The fact Geaney had been booked already and would have been sent off anyway is irrelevant to the point about 2 different cards for the same foul.

The absolute crowing from the Cork public is pathetic. The ref was just shíte. Cork still couldn't get the job done against 14 men and got the rub of a few decisions themselves that Cork fans seem to conveniently not see or remember.

An independent former ref said how bad and inconsistent he was. 27 frees to 11 was a joke.

I particularly liked how Stephen o brien grabbed the corner back while in possession ,pulled him to the ground and got a free 21 yards out. The oldest trick in the book and ref completely fell for it.

Cork lacked the belief to beat what is a poor Kerry team but the decisions made it easier for them to stay ahead at vital times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement