Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

An independent former ref said how bad and inconsistent he was. 27 frees to 11 was a joke.

I particularly liked how Stephen o brien grabbed the corner back while in possession ,pulled him to the ground and got a free 21 yards out. The oldest trick in the book and ref completely fell for it.

Cork lacked the belief to beat what is a poor Kerry team but the decisions made it easier for them to stay ahead at vital times.

I liked that from Stephen. Nice bit of experience shown in what was a vital time for a score. David Moran did similar when he was going down a blind alley, he just ran into 2 cork lads and went down and got his free. Again, that bit of experience was needed.

Maybe if the cork lads tried to play more ball instead of pulling and dragging they wouldnt have conceded 27 frees and (shock horror) might have actually won the game as they were more than good enough to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Hopefully Cork improve in the next few years. Hard to think only 8 years ago they were the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

munster87 wrote: »
    Hopefully Cork improve in the next few years. Hard to think only 8 years ago they were the best in the country.

That's because it wasn't 8 years ago.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    That's because it wasn't 8 years ago.

Well rephrase as reigning All Ireland champions then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Who else was in the last 4 that year? Cork, Down, Kildare, and? Mad to think it was so recently.

• Advertisement

Who else was in the last 4 that year? Cork, Down, Kildare, and? Mad to think it was so recently.

Dublin, Cork beat them by a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

munster87 wrote: »
    Dublin, Cork beat them by a point

Ah yes, that was the year Meath hockeyed them in Leinster and they did the back door.

Ah yes, that was the year Meath hockeyed them in Leinster and they did the back door.

And the year Meath robbed Louth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

The foundations in 09 and 10 were laid by kilroy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Donegal only team looking like they might beat Dublin and are nailed on to make the semis, and probably head the group so avoid Dublin who will do likewise in other group until the final.

Dubs/Donegal final.

Arnold, you have McBrearty back. Huge factor. None of the contenders have a forward of his class. Not even Clifford/

Can I get some of what you’re smoking? :) McBreartys a grand player but there’s a lot better, certainly Clifford.

If Donegal end up in a group with Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo I wouldn’t be making them nailed on for the semifinals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

munster87 wrote:

The sad thing for them was that they only won 1 title.

I'm not sure Dublin would have beaten that Cork team if they met in 2011, they'd a bit of hold on the Dubs

At the time in also thought they were almost unbeatable, a team of giants. I don't know what happened to them.

It was a great Kerry team back then too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Armagh will not be as wasteful as Down...who'd be in this round if only they could have scored.

They'd be ulster champions if they scored more too Francie!
    Are you happy with the qualifier draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Stoner wrote: »
    They'd be ulster champions if they scored more too Francie!
    Are you happy with the qualifier draw?

There's scoring more and then there is scoring the chances you create. 2 different things.

Yeh, delighted with those draws...a couple of possible dingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There's scoring more and then there is scoring the chances you create. 2 different things.

Yeh, delighted with those draws...a couple of possible dingers.

A team with the ability to create chances can always improve its strike rate, even by random chance.

Meath will probably never miss as many again as on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

harpsman wrote: »

If Donegal end up in a group with Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo I wouldn’t be making them nailed on for the semifinals

To be honest I would in that group with 2 to qualify - Mayo are clearly on the slide and to be honest wouldnt be much of a surprise if they dont make the Super 8. Kerry would absolutely hate to play Donegal, Donegal are probably set up perfectly to nulify Kerry and take advantage of what is a junior b defence. Thet have already beaten Tyrone comfortably.

If Donegal are in that group they are 1/2 to qualify at the most imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

dobman88 wrote: »
    I especially liked the one where he really punished Brian Hurley with a yellow card for the late shoulder in the first half (which should have been black) and let Paul Geaney off scott free by just giving him a black card for the exact same offence in the 2nd half. The fact Geaney had been booked already and would have been sent off anyway is irrelevant to the point about 2 different cards for the same foul.

The absolute crowing from the Cork public is pathetic. The ref was just shíte. Cork still couldn't get the job done against 14 men and got the rub of a few decisions themselves that Cork fans seem to conveniently not see or remember.

In the history of the GAA, Cork have yet to lose a match fairly and squarely :)

A team with the ability to create chances can always improve its strike rate, even by random chance.

Meath will probably never miss as many again as on Sunday.

Well it's too late this year for Down to improve.

Armagh won't be as wasteful and are still in it. I think they will beat Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Stoner wrote: »
    The sad thing for them was that they only won 1 title.

I'm not sure Dublin would have beaten that Cork team if they met in 2011, they'd a bit of hold on the Dubs

At the time in also thought they were almost unbeatable, a team of giants. I don't know what happened to them.

It was a great Kerry team back then too though.

It was a similar enough story to this Mayo side.

Cork lost to a great Kerry side 5 years in a row in All Ireland finals/semis

In 2010 Down took out Kerry for them and they were left with a run in with a young, inexperienced Dublin side who lost in leinster and Down who came from nowhere to make a one-off final

They still had plenty to do, but they managed to finally reach a season with no juggernaut in their way - unlike Mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I don't agree with a previous poster stating Kildare away is an "easy" draw for Tyrone. I'd be hoping Kildare give them a good game. There was far easier draws there.

I'll go with
    Tyrone
    Armagh
    Clare
    Laois

To go through in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Pogue eile wrote: »
    To be honest I would in that group with 2 to qualify - Mayo are clearly on the slide and to be honest wouldnt be much of a surprise if they dont make the Super 8. Kerry would absolutely hate to play Donegal, Donegal are probably set up perfectly to nulify Kerry and take advantage of what is a junior b defence. Thet have already beaten Tyrone comfortably.

If Donegal are in that group they are 1/2 to qualify at the most imo.

If you get that price bite their arm off!

1/5 be more like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

1/5 be more like.

I was trying to be nice to harpsman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

how do people see cavan doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

soap1978 wrote: »

It'll depend on who they're drew against in the next round tbh.

They'd beat the winners of Clare/westmeath and laois/Offaly imo. Wouldn't be sure about mayo or the winners of Tyrone/Kildare.

They were weary on Sunday and I think their lack of footballing brain or experience was shown up to a large degree.
    I'm not sure you can short circuit the brain/experience thing so I would suspect they would tumble out against the more wily opposition. A favourable draw against the winners of the Clare/Westmeath or Laois/Offaly games would advance them and give them that much needed experience.
    Whatever happens they have advanced a long way this year. Contenders for Ulster and more now.

It's all on the draw next Monday

Get Tyrone and we're out

We can't get Armagh so hopefully they beat Mayo, Mayo would be a tough ask

Anyone else and I'd fancy us. Anyone of Clare/Westmeath/Laois/Offaly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Are repeat pairings allowed in round 4? We've played both Offaly and Laois in Leinster so I think we can't play the winner of that game.
    Unless we get a bit of luck, we're going to get another dreadful qualifier draw.

Are repeat pairings allowed in round 4? We've played both Offaly and Laois in Leinster so I think we can't play the winner of that game.
    Unless we get a bit of luck, we're going to get another dreadful qualifier draw.
    No repeat pairings, Cavan cant get Armagh, Meath cant get Laois Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tyrone will win Saturday. Dont be fooled by kildare. A very average team as seen leinster. They threw the shackles off last year in the face of adversity before tamely exiting super eights. Tyrone have better footballers all over. Tyrone to win

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

C__MC wrote: »
    Tyrone will win Saturday. Dont be fooled by kildare. A very average team as seen leinster. They threw the shackles off last year in the face of adversity before tamely exiting super eights. Tyrone have better footballers all over. Tyrone to win

I think it will be close enough.
    Kildare did alright v Dublin in patches.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

1/5 be more like.

With Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo? Bear in mind Tyrone and Mayo have won two qualifiers since in that case. They'd be no shorter than 8/13, and id be someone who's relatively strong on Donegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement