Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

kildare havent a hope of beating Tyrone, theyve one good game a year in them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

No repeat pairings, Cavan cant get Armagh, Meath cant get Laois Offaly

Because Meath can't get a repeat fixtures in the qualifiers it increases the chances of a repeat fixture between Donegal and Tyrone in the Super 8. What genius makes these decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Because Meath can't get a repeat fixtures in the qualifiers it increases the chances of a repeat fixture between Donegal and Tyrone in the Super 8. What genius makes these decisions?

:confused::confused: You cannot avoid something like that happening when you operate a back door system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If Cavan manage to make it to the super 8's where and when would their games be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

tanko wrote: »
    If Cavan manage to make it to the super 8's where and when would their games be?
    They will play their first game away to Roscommon on 13th/14th July
    Their second in Croke Park v Cork or another qualifier on 20th/21st July
    Their third home to Dublin on 3rd/4th August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

They will play their first game away to Roscommon on 13th/14th July
    Their second in Croke Park v Cork or another qualifier on 20th/21st July
    Their third home to Dublin on 3rd/4th August.

That's what he means, where would the home game be. Their home venue, Breffni park, is out of action because of upgrade work isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

dobman88 wrote: »
    That's what he means, where would the home game be. Their home venue, Breffni park, is out of action because of upgrade work isnt it?

Wasn't there a game in Breffni this year already? The Monaghan one.

dobman88 wrote: »

Finished is it not...first round game against Monaghan was there anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Work on Breffni park is long finished, its a super pitch now.

tanko wrote: »
    Work on Breffni park is long finished, its a super pitch now.

It's a kip...inhabited by dark and sinister forces of doom and destruction! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Stoner wrote: »
    The sad thing for them was that they only won 1 title.

I'm not sure Dublin would have beaten that Cork team if they met in 2011, they'd a bit of hold on the Dubs

At the time in also thought they were almost unbeatable, a team of giants. I don't know what happened to them.

It was a great Kerry team back then too though.
    "great" ??
    How did you work that one out?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's a kip...inhabited by dark and sinister forces of doom and destruction! :(

I suspect it was Monaghan people with that sort of attitude who caused the hoax security alert on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Edgware wrote: »
    "great" ??
    How did you work that one out?

They got to 6 All Ireland finals in a row

8 in the decade 2000-2009

They won 5 that decade

That's great in anyone's book.

I suspect it was Monaghan people with that sort of attitude who caused the hoax security alert on Sunday.

and miss the chance of getting a few pound off the Breffini? :D:D

T'was an odd one that though...PSNI insisted it was a credible threat I believe when the Gardai were satisfied it was a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Thanks. Wasnt sure so happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Pogue eile wrote: »
    To be honest I would in that group with 2 to qualify - Mayo are clearly on the slide and to be honest wouldnt be much of a surprise if they dont make the Super 8. Kerry would absolutely hate to play Donegal, Donegal are probably set up perfectly to nulify Kerry and take advantage of what is a junior b defence. Thet have already beaten Tyrone comfortably.

If Donegal are in that group they are 1/2 to qualify at the most imo.

I think Donegal are favourites at this stage not only to come out of the group but to win Sam.

Its hard to judge how good Dublin are until we get to super 8s..They have not had to come out of second gear yet. The pundits are building Dublin up big time and no doubt Dublin are the finest side we have seen play in years but this Donegal side are superb and well or best equipped to take Dublin.

What could trip Donegal is a meeting with Tyrone. While Donegal were super that day Tyrone will never play as bad again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Doctor Zhivago

C__MC wrote: »
    Great draw for Tyrone, tough for mayo that draw.

Meath, cavan, galway, cork will be delighted. You'll have two weaker teams coming through now.
    Tyrone will cruise this
    Tyrone toyed with longford, bar the last ten minutes when game was won. Kildare havent got it, no point saying anything else. Tyrone will beat them and they always have even when mc geeney was there.
    Tyrone will win Saturday. Dont be fooled by kildare. A very average team as seen leinster. They threw the shackles off last year in the face of adversity before tamely exiting super eights. Tyrone have better footballers all over. Tyrone to win
    We get it, you don't like Kildare. Change the bloody record. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

LeoB wrote: »
    I think Donegal are favourites at this stage not only to come out of the group but to win Sam.

Its hard to judge how good Dublin are until we get to super 8s..They have not had to come out of second gear yet. The pundits are building Dublin up big time and no doubt Dublin are the finest side we have seen play in years but this Donegal side are superb and well or best equipped to take Dublin.

What could trip Donegal is a meeting with Tyrone. While Donegal were super that day Tyrone will never play as bad again.

Dublin still hot favourites no doubt about it. Donegal didn't even get out of the Super 8s group last year but out of the pack they are the ones that have showed a significant improvement compared to last year. Can't be said yet of Kerry or Tyrone. I do think there is an All Ireland there for Donegal though and if not this year I'm hoping in the near future. I don't see Dublin winning the next 4 Sam's for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

henke wrote: »
    I don't see Dublin winning the next 4 Sam's for example.

I can quite easily see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

henke wrote: »
    Dublin still hot favourites no doubt about it. Donegal didn't even get out of the Super 8s group last year but out of the pack they are the ones that have showed a significant improvement compared to last year. Can't be said yet of Kerry or Tyrone. I do think there is an All Ireland there for Donegal though and if not this year I'm hoping in the near future. I don't see Dublin winning the next 4 Sam's for example.

I agree. There are little bits of sloppiness appearing in Dublin games that would not have been seen in previous years.
    I think it was about 2 years ago Dublin played Donegal in a league game at Ballybofey.
    Donegal had basically a new side out, full of young lads.
    The Donegal fans gave them no chance and they got a draw.
    I just remember Donegal playing with loads of energy.
    Ciaran Thompson in particular was very impressive.
    So in theory they should be even better now.
    I would not like to be any team going to Ballybofey.
    Surely they will get out of the Super 8's this year?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Semi was there as well and the pitch was in immaculate condition.

I agree. There are little bits of sloppiness appearing in Dublin games that would not have been seen in previous years.

Based on what, a few pointless jog outs?

They could go on a week long session rock up straight to Croke Park and still annihilate any team in Leinster.

I'd sooner judge their level on the warm ups in their training sessions than in that farce of a provincial competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

We get it, you don't like Kildare. Change the bloody record. :rolleyes:

Theyd frustrate the life out of you, size of the county and they under achieve. But there can be a game in them but Tyrones game management to see it out. I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think it was about 2 years ago Dublin played Donegal in a league game at Ballybofey.
    Donegal had basically a new side out, full of young lads.
    The Donegal fans gave them no chance and they got a draw.
    I just remember Donegal playing with loads of energy.
    Ciaran Thompson in particular was very impressive.
    So in theory they should be even better now.

Dublin have been sloppy for years but always do enough on the big day. Chasing pack has regressed in the main, Donegal are the only team making a shape to date but hopefully someone else will find form later in the summer.

Donegal should qualify from the group but there is little to suggest they can beat Dublin in Croke Park yet, people are desperately trying to build up a challenger because nobody wants the Dubs cakewalking to the sacred five in a row which they probably will do in all likelihood.

jr86 wrote: »
    I can quite easily see it happening

Yeah they cakewalked it lad year and are strong favourites this year but Mayo on more than one occasion pushed them all the way and really should have beaten them once. The next 4 is still a tall order.

I would hope so. They look better this year than last but getting out of the group will be the mark of that. A rematch with Tyrone in the Super 8s would not be as easy as the Ulster semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They got to 6 All Ireland finals in a row

8 in the decade 2000-2009

They won 5 that decade

That's great in anyone's book.
    Depends what book you are reading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Edgware wrote: »
    Depends what book you are reading

Book of great gaelic football teams. Only for there being another great team in that decade Kerry would probably have seen a dominance similar to or greater than Dublin’s at the moment. Tyrone and Kerry of the 00’s were great teams.

People are desperately trying to build up a challenger because nobody wants the Dubs cakewalking to the sacred five in a row which they probably will do in all likelihood.

So true

It's like those saying "pressure will get to Dublin" even though they've shown umpteen times how ice cool they are when under the cosh

It makes sense people would try and build up this idea that there is a competitive all Ireland championship in waiting, but - quite frankly - in reality we are potentially seeing domination akin to that of Celtic in SPL, Bayern Munich in Germany, Lewis Hamilton in F1 racing, etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Controversial but I reckon Mayo would give Dublin a better game than Donegal due to styles. Especially in Croke Park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement