Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Clareman wrote: »
    So Mayo, Laois, Tyrone and Clare up against Galway, Cavan, Meath and Cork, is it an open draw or will it be seeded someway?

Nice mix of provinces left, 3 from each province in the last 12 has that ever happened before I wonder

It's one of that first group vs one of that second group. Open draw, but no repeat pairings. Neutral venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Clareman wrote: »
    So Mayo, Laois, Tyrone and Clare up against Galway, Cavan, Meath and Cork, is it an open draw or will it be seeded someway?

Nice mix of provinces left, 3 from each province in the last 12 has that ever happened before I wonder

Meath cant play Laois but that's all I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

In the common world of lucky Mayo qualifier wins, that one is well up there. Strange first goal, 8 steps and a point attempt for the second, two missed Armagh goal chances near the end finishes in a 1 point win, at home. Hard have confidence in that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gloating isn't bitching

Naw, not buying it.
    Tyrone ended last year without silverware after getting a pasting from Dublin with the same system they have now reverted to after this year getting knocked out of the Ulster Championship by Donegal.
    Not much to gloat about there.

Now if I was someone to historically gloat, I could list Tyrone under MH v Donegal under JMcG, Ulster and AI titles this decade.

But then historical gloating, or indeed gloating in any manner really is a bit childish don`t you think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Gloating isn't bitching
    Mod: Quit the anti Donegal crap that you constantly come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    In the common world of lucky Mayo qualifier wins, that one is well up there. Strange first goal, 8 steps and a point attempt for the second, two missed Armagh goal chances near the end finishes in a 1 point win, at home. Hard have confidence in that

I think Armagh will be furious to only score one goal. They really had the run on mayo full back line. As I say I think they'll be very frustrated to leave that behind them

It's very hard to know with next week. Meath got promoted from division 2 and Dublin are such a juggernaut its probably harsh to judge anyone against them these days. Cork will take heart from the Kerry game but still got relegated early in season. Cavan were never really in it in the Ulster final and drew with Armagh, while being relegated early in year.

If mayo avoid Galway they might just sneak into the super 8s but you'd have to think it may not be pretty from there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

jr86 wrote: »
    I think Armagh will be furious to only score one goal. They really had the run on mayo full back line. As I say I think they'll be very frustrated to leave that behind them

It's very hard to know with next week. Meath got promoted from division 2 and Dublin are such a juggernaut its probably harsh to judge anyone against them these days. Cork will take heart from the Kerry game but still got relegated early in season. Cavan were never really in it in the Ulster final and drew with Armagh, while being relegated early in year.

If mayo avoid Galway they might just sneak into the super 8s but you'd have to think it may not be pretty from there

I would not write off Cavan just yet. They had a bit of a nightmare in Clones but they are better than they looked imo for what it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not write off Cavan just yet. They had a bit of a nightmare in Clones but they are better than they looked imo for what it is worth.

They also beat Armagh by 6 points which looks a good result now. Armagh have proved to be a very good side. I'd fancy Cavan to give Mayo a good game and possibly beat them.

Half the mayo team are replacements at this stage. It they get to the super 8's then all the new young players will gain massive experience from it. Its definitely a team in transition now, forced or not.

As for All Ireland final, i'd doubt there is a person in Mayo expecting us to get there at this stage.

You would have to wonder where Darren Coen was the past few years when we apparently had no forwards to pick from. Some excellent performances from him so far. He might have made the difference last year.

Good prep for the young lads for next year when Dublin take there 5 year break. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Johner wrote:
    They also beat Armagh by 6 points which looks a good result now. Armagh have proved to be a very good side. I'd fancy Cavan to give Mayo a good game and possibly beat them.

I don't know really how good Armagh are or how much Mayo are off form or missing big players.

However Armagh did look the part today, apart from setting up the goal Moran was given little space.

Their midfield looked good and they stayed with it until the end.

Was watching it with a couple of friends and we thought that their Keeper wasn't great for either goal though.

I would think that a Mayo team with Parsons, D O'Connor, Ruane etc and Keegan staying on would have ran at Armagh even more and opened up a bigger gap after halftime.

I know he got a point but I didn't think Vaughan looked great when he came on, COC didn't look ready either.

But that lad Shields giving away the free when there was only one in it was crucial, he knew it too, he'd a good game up to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Pity that, only good point was the injuries. Laois have put up a fair score in their game with Offaly too. Apparently it was delayed by ten minutes for the crowd but it's a fair size of a spot in Portlaoise.

Hang on, only good point was the injuries?

I can understand people not liking teams but taking enjoyment from players getting hurt is a level of viciousness I don't get.

grbear wrote: »
    Hang on, only good point was the injuries?

I can understand people not liking teams but taking enjoyment from players getting hurt is a level of viciousness I don't get.

I'm not getting into an argument about it nor am I making any apologies for it. Is it right? Probably not, but the bigger picture is that now Mayo are weaker which is all that really matters to me. People say it all the time about other teams and players but just because it's Mayo, the darlings of all of Ireland it's now a problem.
    The day they exit is the best day of the championship for me and I don't care if anyone likes that or not. Last thing I'll say on the matter apart from 'inbred' is very personal.

If its what he meant, he would have to be one very vindictive inbred to say something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Christ, the sky commentary just said "Keith higgans has just come out after winning his 19th possession of the game".

That's so much better than the crap RTE turn out.

Fairly meaningless though with short kickouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't know really how good Armagh are or how much Mayo are off form or missing big players.

However Armagh did look the part today, apart from setting up the goal Moran was given little space.

Their midfield looked good and they stayed with it until the end.

Was watching it with a couple of friends and we thought that their Keeper wasn't great for either goal though.

I would think that a Mayo team with Parsons, D O'Connor, Ruane etc and Keegan staying on would have ran at Armagh even more and opened up a bigger gap after halftime.

I know he got a point but I didn't think Vaughan looked great when he came on, COC didn't look ready either.

But that lad Shields giving away the free when there was only one in it was crucial, he knew it too, he'd a good game up to that.

Was that the closer in free Deegan gave to Mayo as CoC was about to take a long range free ? I know I'm probably wrong here but I thought when the ball is not in play you couldn't give another free ? Is it not like when a keeper is taking a kick out and a lad holding another lad, is he entitled to give a free then even though the ball hasn't been kicked out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My stab at the round 4 draw

Tyrone vs Cork
    Mayo vs Galway
    Laois vs Cavan
    Clare vs Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My stab at the round 4 draw

Tyrone vs Cork
    Mayo vs Galway
    Laois vs Cavan
    Clare vs Meath

Mayo vs Galway would be interesting

I'm not getting into an argument about it nor am I making any apologies for it. Is it right? Probably not, but the bigger picture is that now Mayo are weaker which is all that really matters to me. People say it all the time about other teams and players but just because it's Mayo, the darlings of all of Ireland it's now a problem.
    The day they exit is the best day of the championship for me and I don't care if anyone likes that or not. Last thing I'll say on the matter apart from 'inbred' is very personal.

LOL...... 'Inbred' is too personal, but taking delight in lads getting injured is fair game. Some people have a twisted sense of logic.

Horsebox4 wrote: »
    Was that the closer in free Deegan gave to Mayo as CoC was about to take a long range free ? I know I'm probably wrong here but I thought when the ball is not in play you couldn't give another free ? Is it not like when a keeper is taking a kick out and a lad holding another lad, is he entitled to give a free then even though the ball hasn't been kicked out ?
    If that was the case the defending team would just pull every forward to the ground, leaving no options.
    In this case Mcloughlin made a run for O'Connors free and was dragged to the ground infront of the referee = Clear free.

LOL...... 'Inbred' is too personal, but taking delight in lads getting injured is fair game. Some people have a twisted sense of logic.
    I think OldMrBrennan sits at home alone with his six pack sticking pins into Voodoo dolls dressed in mini Mayo jerseys.:eek:
    He must be running out of pins at this stage. At least he must be very happy, lots of injured young players these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomcasey

Mayo for Sam!!! Hmmm, I think I've heard that one before.... Oh yeah, every single year since the year dot! When will they learn that they're just not good enough, for now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

If that was the case the defending team would just pull every forward to the ground, leaving no options.
    In this case Mcloughlin made a run for O'Connors free and was dragged to the ground infront of the referee = Clear free.

He could give yellow/warnings before free is taken or a free as the kick is taken ? I thought that was the case. No bother anyway, just asking re rules

Horsebox4 wrote: »
    He could give yellow/warnings before free is taken or a free as the kick is taken ? I thought that was the case. No bother anyway, just asking re rules
    Probably part time refs here that could confirm it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭HBC08

Rian o Neil doing the "you can't see me" hand gesture after the goal was predicting his second half performance .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I'm not getting into an argument about it nor am I making any apologies for it. Is it right? Probably not, but the bigger picture is that now Mayo are weaker which is all that really matters to me.

Why? Are Wicklow still in the championship :confused:

fullstop wrote: »
    Why? Are Wicklow still in the championship :confused:

Who mentioned anyone other than Mayo exiting the championship? Are you seeing things or does the little confused emoji you added genuinely mean you're stupid?

Dry your ****ing eyes the lot of you, if it were anyone else you'd all be foaming at the mouth with glee.

Who mentioned anyone other than Mayo exiting the championship? Are you seeing things or does the little confused emoji you added genuinely mean you're stupid?

Dry your ****ing eyes the lot of you, if it were anyone else you'd all be foaming at the mouth with glee.

But what difference does Mayo being weaker and/or exiting the championship mean to someone from Wicklow? Bizarre.

No harm wanting them to lose, but it's pretty sad wishing injury on their players.

But what difference does Mayo being weaker mean to someone from Wicklow? Bizarre.

Because between the media wankery every year and what their players get away with on a regular basis, I do not like them in the slightest.

Nobody else here has any opinion at all on any other team than the county they're from? Would you go away with that ****e, of course they do. That has to be the single thickest argument I have ever seen on here.

Because between the media wankery every year and what their players get away with on a regular basis, I do not like them in the slightest.

Nobody else here has any opinion at all on any other team than the county they're from? Would you go away with that ****e, of course they do. That has to be the single thickest argument I have ever seen on here.

Do you see anyone else revelling in players getting injured? Go away and ****e yourself :rolleyes:

Do you see anyone else revelling in players getting injured? Go away and ****e yourself :rolleyes:

Anything that weakens them and means they'll go another year without that All-Ireland, I don't care what it is.

Anyway, to go back to your argument that nobody can like or dislike or have any opinion on any other county bar their own. Are you standing by that brainwave? I'm thinking it was a little bit of tactical posting that's backfired.

Edit - :(

• Advertisement

Anything that weakens them and means they'll go another year without that All-Ireland, I don't care what it is.

Anyway, to go back to your argument that nobody can like or dislike any other county bar their own. Are you standing by that brainwave?

Point out where I said that. Oh wait, I didn’t. Enjoy the beers pat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement