Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

They probably wouldn't. They didn't bother last year for round robin games and they were on a far higher ebb going into them.

They travelled en masse down to the gaelic grounds last year to play Limerick who were (with all due respect) hardly box office material. It was known that mayo would wallop them, yet Mayo's support was in the thousands (don't know the exact figure).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Hyde Park holds more people than attended Mayo/Armagh game yesterday and has best surface outside Croke Park.

Westlife are playing CP next week so no games there

Good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No thanks to another trip to Croker as much as we love it.The Hyde will be grand if we meet the neighbours.Prefer to avoid them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

RMAOK wrote: »
    They travelled en masse down to the gaelic grounds last year to play Limerick who were (with all due respect) hardly box office material. It was known that mayo would wallop them, yet Mayo's support was in the thousands (don't know the exact figure).

Galway or Mayo? I meant Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Galway or Mayo? I meant Galway.

I was on about mayo playing limerick.

Galway wouldn't travel in big numbers, and last year, the hurlers were playing as much as the footballers so it'd have divided their support base anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

RMAOK wrote: »
    I was on about mayo playing limerick.

Galway wouldn't travel in big numbers, and last year, the hurlers were playing as much as the footballers so it'd have divided their support base anyways.

Mayo will travel no matter where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

seligehgit wrote: »
    No thanks to another trip to Croker as much as we love it.The Hyde will be grand if we meet the neighbours.Prefer to avoid them though!

Having said all of the above if we draw Galway id like hyde park too,not too far and weve a good record there.
    We're lucky Westlife are chasing a few pound as otherwise we'd be brought to Croker no matter who we were drawn against. Remember Westmeath in round 4 in 2016,we had to drive through it to get to the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

HBC08 wrote: »
    Hyde Park holds more people than attended Mayo/Armagh game yesterday and has best surface outside Croke Park.

Westlife are playing CP next week so no games there

Hyde park has a capacity of 20k.There were officially 18.5k at Mayo game yesterday (as usual the actual attendance was higher) So a bigger crowd for the next game as it round 4,then whatever Galway bring plus neutrels......plus another round 4 game with 2 more teams! Hahaha!

Hyde can hold far more than 20k, last years Connacht final had lots of empty spaces when they set capacity which was Prenty suggestion, CP might have different ideas.

Round 4 games on neutral venues rarely have same draw as home games or big provincial matches, there was 2 Round 4 games in Navan last year.

If the Hyde is too small and CP unavailable that doesn't leave many options; Cork, Limerick, Thurles, Clones, Breffni are only ones bigger that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

HBC08 wrote: »
    Hyde park is a dilapidated dump and not big enough for Mayo on their own never mind a double header

I was there last year for a super 8 match and other than the toilets situation being a bit weird I thought it a fine ground with the pitch in excellent condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If Mayo and Galway end up drawn together then Hyde is clearly the best available venue unless both teams agree to play the game in Salthill and have their next Connacht match in Castlebar. That seems unlikely to happen.

As a venue the Hyde has got a bunch of issues that still need addressing but they seem to have the pitch sorted now which was it's biggest drawback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭threeball

Hyde can hold far more than 20k, last years Connacht final had lots of empty spaces when they set capacity which was Prenty suggestion, CP might have different ideas.

Round 4 games on neutral venues rarely have same draw as home games or big provincial matches, there was 2 Round 4 games in Navan last year.

If the Hyde is too small and CP unavailable that doesn't leave many options; Cork, Limerick, Thurles, Clones, Breffni are only ones bigger that I know of.

They wouldn't fill a club ground with the support Galway will bring after the performance last time out. There'll be plenty of room regardless of where or who they play.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh but he has an affinity with Mayo don't you know (because he spent his summer holliers there as a chisler FFS) but then proceeds to put the boot in. Hilarious stuff !

Considering what Fitz did with Kerry its hypocrisy at its worst. Kerry under Fitzmaurice have been the benchmark for cynicism that other teams have struggled to catch up to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Cavan vs Mayo probably Hyde Park too?
    Cavan vs Tyrone = Brewster Park, Enniskillen

Cavan vs Laois or Clare??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's a health and safety issue, its not as if Prenty pulled a figure out of the sky. The number of empty spaces is irrelevant, its often access issues etc that lead to reduced capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's a health and safety issue, its not as if Prenty pulled a figure out of the sky. The number of empty spaces is irrelevant, its often access issues etc that lead to reduced capacity

Prenty is person enforcing it. He now claims Hyde isn't suitable for finals because lack of turnstiles.

2012 Mayo vs Sligo Connacht final had 23,257, 2015 Mayo vs Sligo Connacht final was 23,149..both matches years after release of Slattery report.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Cavan vs Mayo probably Hyde Park too?
    Cavan vs Tyrone = Brewster Park, Enniskillen

Cavan vs Laois or Clare??
    cavan vs tyrone not be clones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not it can't, it's capped at approximately 20k for health and safety reasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Meath v Clare/Mayo would probably be Tullamore or Portlaoise. Tyrone would likely be Cavan or Clones.
    If we do draw Tyrone, it'd be our 7th qualifier game in the last 8 that we've been drawn against an Ulster team (4 of those being Tyrone). We've lost every one of the previous games. I think every Meath fan is resigned to drawing them again.

Navan is 83km from Tullamore, Ennis is 161. Portlaoise is 153km from Ennis and Navan is 106km, hardly neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well given that we've been told that the main reason for the terrible attendances from Galway fans in recent years is due to the success of the hurlers, they're bound to bring a huge crowd to their game next week no matter who and where they are playing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well given that we've been told that the main reason for the terrible attendances from Galway fans in recent years is due to the success of the hurlers, they're bound to bring a huge crowd to their game next week no matter who and where they are playing

Oooh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Clareman wrote:
    Navan is 83km from Tullamore, Ennis is 161. Portlaoise is 153km from Ennis and Navan is 106km, hardly neutral

What about the lads in Cross Clareman!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

Attendance has been poor for a long time and hurlers weren't great until their recent success.
    Only time in my life ,Galway footballers had huge support was in the golden era of 98 to 03.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stoner wrote: »
    What about the lads in Cross Clareman!

Nevermind them, they never go anywhere anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clareman wrote: »
    Nevermind them, they never go anywhere anyway :D

There was a great crowd from Cross there yesterday 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

soap1978 wrote: »
    cavan vs tyrone not be clones

I would imagine it would be Clones as both would bring a large crowd of supporters

Gael85 wrote: »
    There was a great crowd from Cross there yesterday ����

It's the lads from Kilbaha you probably met, they're great to go to matches but only when the lighthouse is turned off :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Clareman wrote:
    It's the lads from Kilbaha you probably met, they're great to go to matches but only when the lighthouse is turned off

There's not many in the middle now in fairness.

I told you before that I was on the sideline in 92 with a few lads from cross, watched the whole game on the sideline, I can't remember how we ended up there. Most of the clubs I remember from back then are all joined up now.
    Anyway great to see them still in the championship, it was all football in that part when I was a kid, no hurling, so a football win would go down well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stoner wrote: »
    There's not many in the middle now in fairness.

I told you before that I was on the sideline in 92 with a few lads from cross, watched the whole game on the sideline, I can't remember how we ended up there. Most of the clubs I remember from back then are all joined up now.
    Anyway great to see them still in the championship, it was all football in that part when I was a kid, no hurling, so a football win would go down well there.

My father is from Cross:) .Mad for their football back there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »

Don't know why. Galway have not been impressive this year and are certainly beatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just watching the Mayo / Armagh highlights. The two goalkeepers were the difference. Armagh will be kicking themselves they let this one go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement