Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

Wasn't Hyde Park earmarked as the Clones of Connacht in the 90s?

It was, but Galway and Mayo blocked that proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Always_Running

From a neutral perspective, when you look at the super 8 fixtures and likely groups it's going to be rubbish. Some dead rubbers and hammerings coming.

Dublin Tyrone Kerry Donegal nailed on for semi finals. And Dublin to definitely win it. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nothing nailed on about Kerry and Donegal, the winner of Galway v Mayo are more than capable of reaching the semi final instead of one of those teams.

Roscommon could throw a spanner in the plans of Tyrone (if they beat Cavan) after all round 1 game in Hyde Park and the rossies deserve a bit of credit for already beating Galway and Mayo away this summer.

Dublin will win it i agree and no change of format will change that in the years ahead either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭harpsman

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I was trying to be nice to harpsman :D

Its going to be an interesting group-donegal, kerry, laois/meath, mayo/galway.

donegal away to dublin/galway last-i hope you're right but i wouldnt have us at 1/5 for qualification

vid36 wrote: »
    It was, but Galway and Mayo blocked that proposal.

Nothing against Roscommon but not surprised, its over two hours of a drive for parts of Mayo to Roscommon town. Thats not counting any traffic delays. Even worse for those in Connemara/ west Galway. Terrible access and parking in Roscommon as town as well. Its basically the easterly edge of the province.

Claremorris on the N17, is central for everybody, a more logical choice. Its an hour from 95% of the province. Can't see it ever happening at this stage, probably not needed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Nothing against Roscommon but not surprised, its over two hours of a drive for parts of Mayo to Roscommon town. Thats not counting any traffic delays. Even worse for those in Connemara/ west Galway. Terrible access and parking in Roscommon as town as well. Its basically the easterly edge of the province.

Claremorris on the N17, is central for everybody, a more logical choice. Its an hour from 95% of the province. Can't see it ever happening at this stage, probably not needed either.

You need to get that car serviced!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think one of the main issues was a barrier between the Hill and Pat McGrane stand which has been remedied.

I was in Clones in late 80s for Armagh/Tyrone game and it was mad crowd. Was used to being at Dubs games in Tullamore and Navan which before the concrete terraces easily held 30,000, and I'd say there were 40,000 at the Clones match, maybe more.

Great spot for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Barlett wrote: »
    Christ, the first group is going to be poor enough , Dublin v Cork in Croke Park won’t exactly set the pulse racing .

Imagine the buzz of the Dubs going down to Cork like in 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

hardybuck wrote: »
    Imagine the buzz of the Dubs going down to Cork like in 1983.

I'd actually look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'd actually look forward to it.

Automatic full house I'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

As a Cork fan I honestly cannot believe we’ve gotten this lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Nothing nailed on about Kerry and Donegal, the winner of Galway v Mayo are more than capable of reaching the semi final instead of one of those teams.

Roscommon could throw a spanner in the plans of Tyrone (if they beat Cavan) after all round 1 game in Hyde Park and the rossies deserve a bit of crereach sendit for already beating Galway and Mayo away this summer.

Dublin will win it i agree and no change of format will change that in the years ahead either.

If Mayo get through they will reach semi minimum. Division 2 football will hurt Donegal given intensity will ramp up now and Mayo's strength and conditioning second only to Dublin. Mayo just too far much experience and cuteness for a young Kerry side.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or Ballaghadereen, the Schrodinger's cat of Connacht towns, located in both Mayo and Roscommon.:P Yeah the ship sailed long ago, just idly wondering how thing would have been if the GAA did things logically...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

A lot of commenting about Cork but Meath may reach the Super 8s by playing Offaly, Carlow, Laois and Clare!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Whatever about building a neutral stadium in Connacht, building a large neutral one in Athlone would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mahony0509 wrote: »

No certainty that Cork beat Laois. I actually have a fancy for Laois in that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No certainty that Cork beat Laois. I actually have a fancy for Laois in that one.

2/1 for Laois is a nice enough price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mahony0509 wrote: »

I’m not into conspiracy theories but the fingerprints of the GAA money men are all over this mornings draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

I’m not into conspiracy theories but the fingerprints of the GAA money men are all over this mornings draw.

Because Cork fans are famous for supporting the footballers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Cavan_King wrote: »
    A lot of commenting about Cork but Meath may reach the Super 8s by playing Offaly, Carlow, Laois and Clare!

And Kerry are already in the Super 8 by beating 2 Division Two teams, Clare and Cork.

Meath have had 3 wins (1 close and 2 very comfortable) over Division Three teams followed by preparing for and losing badly to arguably the greatest Gaelic Football team of all time.

If they can recover and beat a fellow Division 2 team next weekend they will certainly have earned their place in the Super 8 for this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Dublin made the super 8s last year by playing Wicklow, Longford and Laois :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

rossie1977 wrote: »
    If Mayo get through they will reach semi minimum. Division 2 football will hurt Donegal given intensity will ramp up now and Mayo's strength and conditioning second only to Dublin. Mayo just too far much experience and cuteness for a young Kerry side.

Wouldn't be at all certain of that.

Donegal are never lacking in a physical game. Mayo on the other hand have important players missing and important players looking over their shoulder at father time. Very questionable to say they have the edge imo.

I hope there's improvement in Kerry. The championship needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Because Cork fans are famous for supporting the footballers?

They don’t travel no matter what but the other teams with huge support being drawn against each other ???? Mayo v Galway and Cavan v Tyrone will have full houses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

To be fair, the GAA can't win. If the strong teams are kept apart in the qualifying rounds, it's only because the GAA want the best teams in the Super 8s to maximize the crowds. If the strong teams are drawn together in the qualifying rounds, it's because the GAA want to maximize the crowds in the qualifying rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

corny wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all certain of that.

Donegal are never lacking in a physical game. Mayo on the other hand have important players missing and important players looking over their shoulder at father time. Very questionable to say they have the edge imo.

I hope there's improvement in Kerry. The championship needs them.

Lose a rookie in Ruane, bring in a seasoned campaigner in Vaughan to replace him. Lots of talk of Mayo injuries but 13 of the team that started and should have beat Dublin in 2017 AI final played Saturday night.

Two years ago everyone was saying Mayo were too old, too tired etc but once they get momentum they are hard to stop. The extra games benefit Mayo and Tyrone.
    They don’t travel no matter what but the other teams with huge support being drawn against each other ???? Mayo v Galway and Cavan v Tyrone will have full houses.

Round 4 games are usually poorly attended. Neutral venues, only 5 days notice, fans of provincial losers despondent probably main cause. I would be surprised if any of the games top 15k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

am I right in saying that some teams could play 5 weeks running by the end of round 2 of the super 8s? Mayo for example if they qualify? Down, Armagh, Galway, Round 1 and Round 2? That'll take a toll. The break in the super 8s should nearly be after game 1. But then I suppose you’d have 3 games in a row then until the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Lose a rookie in Ruane, bring in a seasoned campaigner in Vaughan to replace him. Lots of talk of Mayo injuries but 13 of the team that started and should have beat Dublin in 2017 AI final played Saturday night.

Two years ago everyone was saying Mayo were too old, too tired etc but once they get momentum they are hard to stop. The extra games benefit Mayo and Tyrone.

Round 4 games are usually poorly attended. Neutral venues, only 5 days notice, fans of provincial losers despondent probably main cause. I would be surprised if any of the games top 15k
    There will be at least 15k from mayo alone
    Not sure how many Galway will bring. But their hurlers are out so don't have that excuse not to travel........Id say we would be looking at 18-20k

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

doc_17 wrote: »
    am I right in saying that some teams could play 5 weeks running by the end of round 2 of the super 8s? Mayo for example if they qualify? Down, Armagh, Galway, Round 1 and Round 2? That'll take a toll. The break in the super 8s should nearly be after game 1. But then I suppose you’d have 3 games in a row then until the semi finals.

Correct
    I also wrongly assumed the break was after round 1
    Thats the price of failure i guess but it is tough on amateur players with full time jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

km79 wrote: »
    There will be at least 15k from mayo alone
    Not sure how many Galway will bring. But their hurlers are out so don't have that excuse not to travel........Id say we would be looking at 18-20k

The hurling support is fairly separate. They don't follow the footballers at all for the most part. Maybe 5% of a crossover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement