Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭threeball

Saturday:
    Cavan v Tyrone, Clones 5pm (Sky)
    Cork v Laois, Thurles 5pm
    Mayo v Galway, Limerick 7pm (Sky)

Sunday
    Meath v Clare, Portlaoise 2pm (RTE)

There'll be more pigeons than people in Thurles. Usual disregard for any kind of atmosphere or crowd size from the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

threeball wrote: »
    There'll be more pigeons than people in Thurles. Usual disregard for any kind of atmosphere or crowd size from the GAA.

Meath v Clare could have been in Thurles also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Meath and Clare on before Dublin v Laois in preliminary quarter final.

Might go down early for that. Hope it doesn't rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They could have put Laois Cork on in Limerick as part of double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Dublin made the super 8s last year by playing Wicklow, Longford and Laois :pac:

Exactly. As much as I like the idea of a provincial cup being there, they make a mockery of trying to make it a fair competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

recyclebin wrote: »
    They could have put Laois Cork on in Limerick as part of double header.

Replay of the Connacht ladies final is curtain raiser for Mayo-Galway game. Don't know if it would have been feasible to put the three games on the same bill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Yep, on GAA website

https://www.gaa.ie/news/championship-venues-agreed-by-cccc/

This is going to draw a lot of people, not sure what choice they had other than to play it outside the province

Hard to know what crowd will be there , 25k ?
    Been a good year for bars and restaurants near Gaelic grounds with s possibility of super 8 game or 2 as well .

Yep, on GAA website

https://www.gaa.ie/news/championship-venues-agreed-by-cccc/

This is going to draw a lot of people, not sure what choice they had other than to play it outside the province

Been a good year for bars and restaurants near Gaelic grounds with s possibility of super 8 game or 2 as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

LuasSimon wrote: »

What super 8 game would be on in Gaekic grounds and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,209 ✭✭✭✭km79

dobman88 wrote: »

Dublin’s round 2 game I assume to keep it neutral

Runs very quickly away
    :D

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Dublin’s round 2 game I assume to keep it neutral

Runs very quickly away
    :D

Lol. I doubt that's what was meant and thought I was missing something for a minute. No possibility of a super 8 game with Limerick gone afaik unless I'm wrong which has been known to happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Again, why will Dublin get two home games in thhe Super 8s?
    They should offer to play other neutral game outside of Dublin

No, they shouldnt offer to play at other neutral venues. They should just play their home game in Parnell Park (like the hurlers do) and the neutral one in croke park like everyone else.

This has been rehashed over and over again. The opponents county boards get a slice of the gate receipts, and are happy to play in croker because of the increased funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whatever about building a neutral stadium in Connacht, building a large neutral one in Athlone would be a better option.
    Roscommon is perfect for a big Connacht stadium. 90 minutes from Dublin for the fans living there, an hour from Castlebar, Galway city and Sligo and 40 minutes from Carrick-on-Shannon.
    Athlone doesn't suit Sligo or Mayo people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This has been rehashed over and over again. The opponents county boards get a slice of the gate receipts, and are happy to play in croker because of the increased funds.
    They should sell Croke Park and build a mega stadium somewhere in the middle of the country like Portlaoise, Mullingar or Athlone.

Could a Kerry v mayo or Galway or Clare be at a neutral venue ... don’t know what way those neutral venue games are fixed .

Cork v Roscommon ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because Roscommon.

In 2001, the first year of the quarter finals, Roscommon won Connacht.
    But they kicked up a stink when their QF v Galway was in Castlebar.
    They argued that as provincial winners they earned the right to play in CP, as previous provincial winners had.
    So the next year it was changed to have QFs in CP.

Roscommon need to publicly come out and apologies and say that they were wrong and are sorry for causing this folly.

And then maybe we will see QF games in neutral venues.

Could a Kerry v mayo or Galway or Clare be at a neutral venue ... don’t know what way those neutral venue games are fixed .

Cork v Roscommon ??

No. For super 8s the games are 1 home, 1 away, 1 croke park which is the neutral game.

Also, Cork arent there yet, neither are Mayo, Galway or Clare.

No. For super 8s the games are 1 home, 1 away, 1 croke park which is the neutral game.

Also, Cork arent there yet, neither are Mayo, Galway or Clare.
    I know they aren’t there yet but they are possible pairings .. i misread the neutral venue piece .

• Advertisement

On that note when are Kerry at home and against which team or is this known ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

hardybuck wrote: »
    Is Mayo Mick allowed back in?

He’s been called in as an impact sub since they’re short with injuries.theyre hoping for a big 10 minutes from him when sprung from the bench

On that note when are Kerry at home and against which team or is this known ?

Either the 13th or 14th of July against either Galway or Mayo. Kerry will play Meath or Clare away and Donegal in Croke Park.

Either the 13th or 14th of July against either Galway or Mayo. Kerry will play Meath or Clare away and Donegal in Croke Park.

Kerry v mayo in Killarney be a big draw .

Kerry v mayo in Killarney be a big draw .

Huge yeah. Theres a website called Killarneytoday.com and they had something up earlier about local hoteliers, publicans and Garda saying they were expecting a massive weekend if it was Mayo. A packed Fitzgerald Stadium would be some craic, Mayo pack out Tralee any time they play in the League so a championship game would be special.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Because Roscommon.

In 2001, the first year of the quarter finals, Roscommon won Connacht.
    But they kicked up a stink when their QF v Galway was in Castlebar.
    They argued that as provincial winners they earned the right to play in CP, as previous provincial winners had.
    So the next year it was changed to have QFs in CP.

Roscommon need to publicly come out and apologies and say that they were wrong and are sorry for causing this folly.

And then maybe we will see QF games in neutral venues.

Why would something that happened almost 20 years ago be relevant today? If memory serves me correctly the issue wasn't the venue, it was playing same team they had just previously beat, Castlebar probably just doubled the misery given their awful record there. Tyrone were in same boat that year.

It's a completely different format now anyway. The current rules, regulations, format were set in 2017 not 2001. Donegal brought the issue to vote just a few months ago https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/donegal-motion-to-stop-dublin-using-croke-park-as-home-venue-in-super-8s-beaten-at-gaa-congress-906611.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Crap competition run poorly. Cancelled my gaa membership today. Sick of everything about those gobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Why would something that happened almost 20 years ago be relevant today? If memory serves me correctly the issue wasn't the venue, it was playing same team they had just previously beat, Castlebar probably just doubled the misery given their awful record there. Tyrone were in same boat that year.

It's a completely different format now anyway. The current rules, regulations, format were set in 2017 not 2001. Donegal brought the issue to vote just a few months ago https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/donegal-motion-to-stop-dublin-using-croke-park-as-home-venue-in-super-8s-beaten-at-gaa-congress-906611.html[/QUOTE]

Where the majority of county boards were more interested in having a big payday from playing Dublin`s "neutral venue" games in Croke Park than giving their team at least a better chance of getting a result in a genuine neutral venue. Shameful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Crap competition run poorly. Cancelled my gaa membership today. Sick of everything about those gobs.

Unless you mean it as a metaphor for disengaging from the GAA, I'm genuinely curious as to how you "cancelled" your GAA membership. I take it that most people are only members through their club, and unless my club is just different,the membership process consists of filling in a form and paying a fee at the start of the year. Presumably this membership lapses every December 31st, but I've never heard of anyone's membership ending prematurely. Did you write a letter to your club secretary asking for your name to be stricken from the records or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cancelled the DD to the club, both of them, the home one and the local Dublin one. Texted or emailed the club secretaries to take me off mailing lists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement