Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

C__MC wrote: »
    The hyde hasn't the capacity to host this game
    Make no mistake about it, this game is huge. Not the friendliest rivalry by any means. Galway have a chance to beat mayo for the fourth year in a row and save their season. Mayo can see of Kevin Walsh. There will be easily 30000 at this due to what is at stake

Sadly what was once always a very cordial but intense rivalry I have noticed has developed a much nastier air about it in recent years.Strange considering all the people commuting and living/married etc across the borders.

Can't see anywhere near 30,000 attending,15,000-20,000 from Mayo and as little as 5,000 from Galway I'd estimate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Being a bit over dramatic arent we? Isnt it obvious that revenue would be down if the Dubs were out of CP?
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    As for Leinster council, it was not a threat to withhold funding, it was the knowledge that taking Dublin out of CP when crowds were capacity for every game, would hugely diminish Leinster finances.

But the Leinster council made this statement in the autumn of 2015. Dublin's quarter finals hadn't been anywhere close to capacity for years. They weren't even half filling Croke Park in the preceding years and these games were all double headers.

2012 - 31570
    2013 - 33008
    2014 - 40960
    2015 - 33544

So why did the Leinster Council make this statement when it was clear that they wouldn't be hit financially in any meaningful way?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

The hyde hasn't the capacity to host this game
    Make no mistake about it, this game is huge. Not the friendliest rivalry by any means. Galway have a chance to beat mayo for the fourth year in a row and save their season. Mayo can see of Kevin Walsh. There will be easily 30000 at this due to what is at stake

The Hyde holds 25,000 thousand, In my opinion you are not going to get that Big of a crowd so don't understand why it's not being used, as having to travel to Limerick I doubt they will get a crowd of 20,000 thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You would want to ask them. Perhaps they had not yet recognised that the golden goose had flown.

Dublin Leinster games only came to be held exclusively in Croke Park after was it 2006 when they played in Longford? That was at stage where all Dublin games were sell outs.

It was a financially driven decision, and one that was not prompted by Dublin, who had in any event won vast majority of away games in Leinster over previous 40/50 years, and who have won all of them since. Last time Dublin were beaten away in Leinster was by Laois in 1981 in Tullamore. Before that, in 1973 in Navan by Louth.

Your own county has by far most successful record against Dublin and correct me if I am wrong, who chose in 1980s and 1990s to surrender home advantage on occasion.

Perhaps Sonny can tell us, but I don't recall Meath beating Dublin anywhere other than Croke Park in 50 years championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭C__MC

Larrson wrote: »
    The Hyde holds 25,000 thousand, In my opinion you are not going to get that Big of a crowd so don't understand why it's not being used, as having to travel to Limerick I doubt they will get a crowd of 20,000 thousand.

Thought it was restricted back to 17000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sadly what was once always a very cordial but intense rivalry I have noticed has developed a much nastier air about it in recent years..

I think its just online nonsense

Not a reflection on real life at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭C__MC

jr86 wrote: »

There has been a few feisty affairs, a recent league game and fbd league game

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The Leinster counties have got themselves into a Catch 22 situation.
    They need Dublin to play at home to bring in big funds for the Leinster Council which when redistributed can help them improve. But when they do improve they still have to face Dublin at Croke Park.
    There has to be a better way of redistributing funds in Leinster. Being dependent on a successful Dublin or a Dublin playing at home is odd, and one of the many anachronisms of the GAA at the moment. Everything seems focused on helping Dublin, and its serving no-ones interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think its a mix, it was never the sweetness and light rivalry in the past that people made it out to be. There was a lot of bitterness in Galway over Mayo inexplicably voting against Galway during the Tony Keady affair. While the return of spare All Ireland tickets from certain Mayo clubs to Kildare and not Galway in 98 is one that's mentioned time and again. I'm sure Mayo have a few stories themselves.

At the same time, it hasnt been as bad in recent years as youd think it was looking online. The games have been controversial and the players probably dont like each other but its not so bad off the pitch. Ive been in Galway pubs for most of the Mayo/Dub finals and 90%+ wouldve been shouting hard for Mayo on each occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thought it was restricted back to 17000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I think its a mix, it was never the sweetness and light rivalry in the past that people made it out to be. There was a lot of bitterness in Galway over Mayo inexplicably voting against Galway during the Tony Keady affair. While the return of spare All Ireland tickets from certain Mayo clubs to Kildare and not Galway in 98 is one that's mentioned time and again. I'm sure Mayo have a few stories themselves.

At the same time, it hasnt been as bad in recent years as youd think it was looking online. The games have been controversial and the players probably dont like each other but its not so bad off the pitch. Ive been in Galway pubs for most of the Mayo/Dub finals and 90%+ wouldve been shouting hard for Mayo on each occasion

It can definitely be pretty intense, but it's still ultimately in good humour I think. I'd have no qualms with a Mayoman cheering on another county against Galway; that's all part of the enjoyment of it!

The sort of things you mention above re: Keady etc. are poor form though. I don't think too many Galway fans, even when they'd rejoice in Mayo losing, are truly ignorant enough to bear any real ill-wishes towards their fans/players on a personal level. And I'm sure it would be likewise from Mayo fans back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hulk Hands wrote:
    While the return of spare All Ireland tickets from certain Mayo clubs to Kildare and not Galway in 98 is one that's mentioned time and again

Never heard that interesting. Kildare have paid them back since.

If and when it happens think county boards breaking tradition on such issues is dangerous territory.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

elefant wrote:
    The sort of things you mention above re: Keady etc. are poor form though. I don't think too many Galway fans, even when they'd rejoice in Mayo losing, are truly ignorant enough to bear any real ill-wishes towards their fans/players on a personal level. And I'm sure it would be likewise from Mayo fans back.

I'd agree, plus it's a few people making these moves not the county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭harpsman

charlie14 wrote: »
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    Why would something that happened almost 20 years ago be relevant today? If memory serves me correctly the issue wasn't the venue, it was playing same team they had just previously beat, Castlebar probably just doubled the misery given their awful record there. Tyrone were in same boat that year.

It's a completely different format now anyway. The current rules, regulations, format were set in 2017 not 2001. Donegal brought the issue to vote just a few months ago https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/donegal-motion-to-stop-dublin-using-croke-park-as-home-venue-in-super-8s-beaten-at-gaa-congress-906611.html[/QUOTE]

Where the majority of county boards were more interested in having a big payday from playing Dublin`s "neutral venue" games in Croke Park than giving their team at least a better chance of getting a result in a genuine neutral venue. Shameful stuff.
    Unfortunately the ill thought out Donegal motion wouldn't have changed that.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Don`t get me wrong, I am not blaming Dublin for this.

regardless of how it was worded, the majority of county delegates at Congress knew what the substantive issue was but choose a bigger payday in Croke Park over their own county team playing Dublin at a neutral venue.
    Quite shameful behaviour imo.

But their own county team wouldn't have been playing Dublin at a neutral venue. Had the motion succeeded one provincial champion would still have been playing one home, one away and Dublin at CP-or 2 away fixtures in other words

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

ooh, never heard that before. Which clubs I wonder.....

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sadly what was once always a very cordial but intense rivalry I have noticed has developed a much nastier air about it in recent years.Strange considering all the people commuting and living/married etc across the borders.

Can't see anywhere near 30,000 attending,15,000-20,000 from Mayo and as little as 5,000 from Galway I'd estimate.

Think its due to the increased amount of ****housery practiced by all football teams in recent years. Seems like any team that wants to be successful has to resort to these antics.

Its horrible to watch, hard to know what can be done about it.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You would want to ask them. Perhaps they had not yet recognised that the golden goose had flown.

Dublin Leinster games only came to be held exclusively in Croke Park after was it 2006 when they played in Longford? That was at stage where all Dublin games were sell outs.

It was a financially driven decision, and one that was not prompted by Dublin, who had in any event won vast majority of away games in Leinster over previous 40/50 years, and who have won all of them since. Last time Dublin were beaten away in Leinster was by Laois in 1981 in Tullamore. Before that, in 1973 in Navan by Louth.

Your own county has by far most successful record against Dublin and correct me if I am wrong, who chose in 1980s and 1990s to surrender home advantage on occasion.

Perhaps Sonny can tell us, but I don't recall Meath beating Dublin anywhere other than Croke Park in 50 years championship.
    1981 Laois in Tullamore
    1973 Louth in Navan

I love the way Dublin supporters call neutral venues "away" :)

harpsman wrote:
    I love the way Dublin supporters call neutral venues "away"

Well considering half your county lives in Dublin, I love the way some complain about the travelling distance!

ooh, never heard that before. Which clubs I wonder.....

I'll PM :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

I said this last year too

Galway Footballers HomePage/Mayo Gaa Banter do not reflect the views of the majority of matchgoing supporters on both sides

I grew up on the border (the right side of it LOL) and have lived in Galway for over a decade so I am well placed to have experienced the good and the bad :D
    It’s still good natured imo

All due respect to Galway, but I think most people particularly the neutrals would prefer Mayo to win. Galway are god awful to watch particularly this year and while they raise their game for Mayo when they meet the likes of Dublin they roll over and have their tummy tickled.

The Championship and the Super8s need Mayo more than they need Galway.

All due respect to Galway, but I think most people particularly the neutrals would prefer Mayo to win. Galway are god awful to watch particularly this year and while they raise their game for Mayo when they meet the likes of Dublin they roll over and have their tummy tickled.

The Championship and the Super8s need Mayo more than they need Galway.

FFS, youre actually from Mayo, coming out with this drivel. That Dublin game was the first time Galway met Dublin in championship in decades, so its based on one game? Galway have beaten Kerry, Mayo, Donegal and lost to Dublin in recent years. Mayo have beaten Kerry, Tyrone and lost to Dublin. Are these moral victories in losses to Dublin the only difference?

FFS, youre actually from Mayo, coming out with this drivel. That Dublin game was the first time Galway met Dublin in championship in decades, so its based on one game? Galway have beaten Kerry, Mayo, Donegal and lost to Dublin in recent years. Mayo have beaten Kerry, Tyrone and lost to Dublin. Are these moral victories in losses to Dublin the only difference?

Sorry, nothing personal against Galway people. I think a loss to Mayo would be the best thing to happen to Galway as it means starting over with a new system.

Lets see how the game pans out and subsequently.

As I said the Super 8s need Mayo, no-one seriously questions that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sorry, nothing personal against Galway people. I think a loss to Mayo would be the best thing to happen to Galway as it means starting over with a new system.

Lets see how the game pans out and subsequently.

As I said the Super 8s need Mayo, no-one seriously questions that.

Lol. I love championship season and I love the sense of entitlement from the Mayo fans. The super 8s needs the teams that have won their games to get there. Mayo dont have some divine right to get there.

That said, I do enjoy seeing Mayo at the business end of the championship because all the hope and expectation being cruelly taken away is a joy to watch. I missed seeing Lee Keegan crying his eyes out in croke park last year after Kildare took care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

dobman88 wrote: »
    Lol. I love championship season and I love the sense of entitlement from the Mayo fans. The super 8s needs the teams that have won their games to get there. Mayo dont have some divine right to get there.

That said, I do enjoy seeing Mayo at the business end of the championship because all the hope and expectation being cruelly taken away is a joy to watch. I missed seeing Lee Keegan crying his eyes out in croke park last year after Kildare took care of them.

Harsh but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭shockframe

It's tough on Mayo bringing them down to Limerick but there could be a boost in attendance from counties like Limerick, Tipp and Clare. I dare say a few from Kerry would wander in too.

As a Limerick fan at the league finals Mayo's win over Kerry was by far the bigger story that day and any of us who stayed on might be keen on going to Limerick on Saturday.

It feels like Mayo' swansong isn't far away. There could be a decent crowd at it.

dobman88 wrote: »

Not going to get into a slagging match here as I'm better than that.

But at least Mayo will be at the business end of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

Not going to get into a slagging match here as I'm better than that.

But at least Mayo will be at the business end of the championship.

If they beat Galway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Tell me to get lost if I am posting in the wrong section here, or words to similar effect I don't really care.

I am a punter and I was checking the outright prices for the Championship and can't help feeling the bookies are very complacent about Dublin.

It is only at the quarter final stage but I can't help thinking there is some serious value in backing some of the other counties, I am a Dub btw, so I am not speaking out of my heart here or anything.

Donegal are a wopping 7/1. They have pasted every county in Ulster this season. You can insure your bet against Kerry at evens if you don't think they have a chance. That price is waaaaay to big.

Mayo have looked awful … but at 20/1 you won't miss € 50 come the second last weekend in September , these guys have played in 4 finals in the last 7 years. Unless they have completely given up that price is too big. For the likes of the O'Shea brothers their time might be running out, but I doubt they need reminding.

No one is factoring in the possibility of the Dubs imploding either. Great teams can simply get bored of winning, I have seen it happen. They have no-one to beat in Leinster anymore and they have looked to be going through the motions. But you can be sure Tony Cunningham will have other ideas, I am not saying Roscommon have a chance, but they could not be in better hands for an upset. Dublin have no Diarmuid Connolly and it looks like McCarthy is injured. These things add up as the season goes on.

People go on about strength in depth etc , but it only takes 1 team to put it up to them and be within a score with 10 minutes to go and they could be shítin themselves, I have seen it happen with many a good team.

The Dubs might be the best team on paper, but paper can't score points or goals and beat the rest of the them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement