Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Dubs are a safe bet to win outright this year and also next year and probably a few years after that.

Not sure what odds bookies are giving on Dublin, probably very small, 1/10 or something like that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The Championship and the Super8s need Mayo more than they need Galway.

Championship needs a team that knows how to win All Ireland's. Last one we were in we won. Simples. Bow out gracefully. Have the craic in Limerick. Leave the pursuit of Sam to The Tribes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

All due respect to Galway, but I think most people particularly the neutrals would prefer Mayo to win. Galway are god awful to watch particularly this year and while they raise their game for Mayo when they meet the likes of Dublin they roll over and have their tummy tickled.

The Championship and the Super8s need Mayo more than they need Galway.
    I would agree with that. It's got very tiring watching Tyrone and Galway play with 15 men inside their own 45. I think the super 8s will be poor this year aand even worse without Mayo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Dubs are a safe bet to win outright this year and also next year and probably a few years after that.

Not sure what odds bookies are giving on Dublin, probably very small, 1/10 or something like that I'd say.

Best price 1/2 with Boyles. Ladbrokes currently not taking bets. Powers are 4/9.

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-senior-football-championship/winner

I have made worse bets, I just think there is value available with some of the other teams. Particularly Donegal at 7/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Great teams can simply get bored of winning,

Not this year with the 5 in a row at stake and the chance to write their name into the history and to become indisputably the GOAT.
    Whatever else happens this year, Dublin will maintain the level they have been at the last few years. To stop them another team will have to come up to that level and I can't see any of them doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

seligehgit wrote:
    Sadly what was once always a very cordial but intense rivalry I have noticed has developed a much nastier air about it in recent years.Strange considering all the people commuting and living/married etc across the borders.

This is just GAA rivalry in general these days IMHO. Whether that is because of or merely inflamed by social meeja I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

I would agree with that. It's got very tiring watching Tyrone and Galway play with 15 men inside their own 45. I think the super 8s will be poor this year aand even worse without Mayo.

Whatever about Galway there is a myth that Tyrone are all about defence. They have gotten over the 20 point mark in a lot of games over the last 3 years.

Best price 1/2 with Boyles. Ladbrokes currently not taking bets. Powers are 4/9.

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-senior-football-championship/winner

I have made worse bets, I just think there is value available with some of the other teams. Particularly Donegal at 7/1.
    1/2 is very good value on Dublin. The big punters should really be lumping on at that price, who is going to stop them? Anyone with a few thousand under the mattress should be visiting their nearest Boylesports.

shockframe wrote: »
    Whatever about Galway there is a myth that Tyrone are all about defence. They have gotten over the 20 point mark in a lot of games over the last 3 years.
    That doesn't mean they don't play blanket defence. They do, they just break with pace and counter attack carrying the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    This is just GAA rivalry in general these days IMHO. Whether that is because of or merely inflamed by social meeja I don't know.

Men and women who haven't kicked a ball since primary school (if ever) and would have their stupidity scorned on the sideline at a game suddenly have a platform on GAA supporter pages to be validated by other similar buffoons, and then seen by genpop. Causing everyone else to get riled up by the rot they realise is being spouted on ditches countrywide.

The GAA in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

That doesn't mean they don't play blanket defence. They do, they just break with pace and counter attack carrying the ball.

They do place emphasis on defence of course but people don't credit their forward play as much as they should. They rack up hurling type scores in many matches

The talk of Tyrone being all defence is one of the lazy misinformed cliches put out there.

shockframe wrote: »
    They do place emphasis on defence of course but people don't credit their forward play as much as they should. They rack up hurling type scores in many matches

The talk of Tyrone being all defence is one of the lazy misinformed cliches put out there.
    The fact is they play with 15 men inside their 45 and handpass the ball up counter attacking. Yes they have good forwards nobody is denying that. They will never beat Dublin playing the way they do. Flat track bullys is what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not going to get into a slagging match here as I'm better than that.

But at least Mayo will be at the business end of the championship.

:pac:

Good man Frank. I bloody love championship season and all the fcuking around that comes with it.

I hope this wont be our last interaction this summer.

They look very good odds. Stick on a 100 and get 100 in profit.

I think its a year too early for a Donegal outright win. This current Donegal team has the same feel as in 2011, a coming team but a year or two too early. But, I still think this Dublin team are good for another few AI wins in a row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They look very good odds. Stick on a 100 and get 100 in profit.

I think its a year too early for a Donegal outright win. This current Donegal team has the same feel as in 2011, a coming team but a year or two too early. But, I still think this Dublin team are good for another few AI wins in a row.

Careful with the fine print there Proinsias, 100 returns a profit of € 50 , if you are on with Boyles.

I would rather have a € 100 on Donegal and get a run for my money, than risk € 1,400 on the Dubs for the same return. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I have Frank on ignore as he is tiresome, but see from quote that his betting knowledge is on par with his grasp of other statistics :-)

I wouldn't back Dublin at the price, but it is a reasonable punt if you are prepared to wait two months and are investing a lot. Will a run for your money at least.

Careful with the fine print there Proinsias, 100 returns a profit of € 50 , if you are on with Boyles.

I would rather have a € 100 on Donegal and get a run for my money, than risk € 1,400 on the Dubs for the same return. Just saying.

Sorry you're right. Still a profit of 50.

Good luck with your Donegal bet.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I have Frank on ignore

I'm gutted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

First two rounds of Super 8's fixtures announced. Opens with Roscommon v Cavan/ Tyrone on the Saturday, followed by Dublin v Cork/ Laois

The two Sunday games clash with the All Ireland Hurling QFs which will obviously take precedence on RTE with their hurling fetish.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/fixture-details-for-all-ireland-football-and-hurling-quarter-finals/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great to get all the betting tips from lads who don't know what €100 at 1/2 returns. Christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd say it'll be 1 football and 1 hurling, cant see them passing on Kerry v Mayo/Galway

keane2097 wrote: »
    Great to get all the betting tips from lads who don't know what €100 at 1/2 returns. Christ almighty.

Relax, like a lot of people on here, I post at work and its usually fairly rushed.

The main point was I advised him to bet on Dublin.

Who would you advise him to go with?

That's shambolic scheduling from the GAA. Sure why am I even surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

The main point was I advised him to bet on Dublin.

Any other tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dobman88 wrote: »
    That's shambolic scheduling from the GAA. Sure why am I even surprised

Why? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Because the fixtures on the opening weekend of what is supposed to be the biggest event in the football championship has been scheduled against the hurling quarter finals. While I'm in favour of a fixtures overhaul to help clubs, the whole championship is being rushed through at this time of the year, quarter finals should not be clashing

C'mon, really??

One of the biggest football games of the year so far directly clashing with a hurling quarter final. Kerry v Mayo/Galway will have a huge draw, as will Tipp v Dublin in the hurling and they put them on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dobman88 wrote: »
    C'mon, really??

One of the biggest football games of the year so far directly clashing with a hurling quarter final. Kerry v Mayo/Galway will have a huge draw, as will Tipp v Dublin in the hurling and they put them on at the same time.

Sorry, thought the hurling was the prelim QF's that are actually on this weekend, :o

Any other tips?

Dragonfly, 3pm Exeter.

• Advertisement

Sorry, thought the hurling was the prelim QF's that are actually on this weekend, :o

Fair enough. I'm also expecting Dublin to best Laois in the hurling which is why I didnt mention them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement