Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Careful with the fine print there Proinsias, 100 returns a profit of € 50 , if you are on with Boyles.

I would rather have a € 100 on Donegal and get a run for my money, than risk € 1,400 on the Dubs for the same return. Just saying.

You’d be a bookies dream then.
    The Dubs at 1/2 is far more likely to pay dividends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I think we should scrap the super 8s and go back to the normal format. How laughable they are bringing in tiers now and keeping the super 8s for another year at least. We will have a different format every year.

Bottom line is there isn't 8 "super" teams to bother with super 8s. I think if it goes as bad as expected and crowds are down people will be calling to get rid of the super 8s. The format won't change the fact Dublin are way ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think we should scrap the super 8s and go back to the normal format. How laughable they are bringing in tiers now and keeping the super 8s for another year at least. We will have a different format every year.

Bottom line is there isn't 8 "super" teams to bother with super 8s. I think if it goes as bad as expected and crowds are down people will be calling to get rid of the super 8s. The format won't change the fact Dublin are way ahead of the rest.

I'd like to be optimistic about it, but the most likely scenario this year is that Throne will beat Cavan, followed by relatively easy wins in their first two games in the Super 8's. Dublin will obviously win their two home games, leaving a dead rubber for the final game in Omagh. Just how the fixtures have panned out, but that group is unlikely to be very exciting. Although maybe Cavan will go through, and maybe Roscommon will surprise me. You never know

The other group could be very good, but the excitement has been taken out of it by the prospect of neither game being on TV on the opening weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Agreed. I don't see what was driving its introduction, as I don't think there were many complaints about a shortage of games at the business end of the championship. Re the downers of this year's groups, I could see Clare taking a couple of right shellackings if they make it through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I'd like to be optimistic about it, but the most likely scenario this year is that Throne will beat Cavan, followed by relatively easy wins in their first two games in the Super 8's. Dublin will obviously win their two home games, leaving a dead rubber for the final game in Omagh. Just how the fixtures have panned out, but that group is unlikely to be very exciting. Although maybe Cavan will go through, and maybe Roscommon will surprise me. You never know

The other group could be very good, but the excitement has been taken out of it by the prospect of neither game being on TV on the opening weekend
    Not a lot happening to interest the neutrals. Unfortunately I can't see Cavan or Roscommon getting upsets. You'd expect Kerry Donegal advancing in the other group.

Poor stuff that the other games aren't being televised. We are now playing second fiddle to the hurlers with RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

There's always been one surprise package in the last 8 so for that team it's normally damage limitation by the time they get there.

The last 8 hasn''t had too much drama in general since the Donegal-Kildare game in 2011.

The semi final stage has been football's greatest success this decade. It overshadows the last 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

That's a ridiculous schedule for Cork/Laois fans. Could possibly be in Dublin two days in a row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You’d be a bookies dream then.
    The Dubs at 1/2 is far more likely to pay dividends.

As I said, I won't be paying them € 1,400 to find out. I would rather blow € 100 on Donegal. I won't miss it on the 23rd September if they don't win it. Dropping € 1,400 would be very annoying, no matter how good Dublin are.

You will get 1/2 in this Friday night's soccer if you shop around. Why wait until September?

The fact remains that it looks like Dublin's to lose , but I wouldn't take anything for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You’d be a bookies dream then. The Dubs at 1/2 is far more likely to pay dividends.
    I'd argue that Donegal are stronger favourites to make the final than Dublin are to win it. Donegal at 8/1 each way gives you a free shot to beat Dublin and you get paid 1/2 on your 100 stake if they reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd argue that Donegal are stronger favourites to make the final than Dublin are to win it. Donegal at 8/1 each way gives you a free shot to beat Dublin and you get paid 1/2 on your 100 stake if they reach the final.

Donegal are 13/10 to reach the final on PP odds.

Evens to beat Kerry is a better bet imho.

If they top the group of course they avoid Dublin in semis. If they meet Dublin they probably be 2/1 at least, so that would also represent better value.

• Advertisement

I see Jamie Clarke has switched his club allegiance to Neasden in London. would he be able to play for London in the inter-county championship next season 'just like that'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I see Jamie Clarke has switched his club allegiance to Neasden in London. would he be able to play for London in the inter-county championship next season 'just like that'?

Why wouldnt he? Surely it would be more surprising to see him lining out for Armagh next season if hes living and working in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They're not in any way though. Dublin are a justifiably shorter price to win it than Donegal would be to win their likely semi, never mind also navigating the group stage. And that's only if they top the group

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why wouldnt he? Surely it would be more surprising to see him lining out for Armagh next season if hes living and working in London?

I'm a bit surprised you can jump from one 'county' to another so easily and that it doesn't happen more often if you can. What was all the fuss around Seanie Johnston so?

Hulk Hands wrote:
    They're not in any way though. Dublin are a justifiably shorter price to win it than Donegal would be to win their likely semi, never mind also navigating the group stage. And that's only if they top the group
    That's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I'm a bit surprised you can jump from one 'county' to another so easily and that it doesn't happen more often if you can. What was all the fuss around Seanie Johnston so?

Seanie played one game of club hurling in Kildare and wasn't even living or working there, right?

If Jamie Clarke moves to London and plays for a London club, nothing wrong with him playing for London.

But it is probably the usual story with him, take the winter off and turn up at the Athletic Grounds in May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Once the club and county agree then theres no issues but you need to play club championship before you can play for your new county in championship is the rule that made the Johnson thing such a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I'd be in favour of scrapping it also as i don't see the sense of having a group stage for last 8. I know why its there though as its HQ way to make up for the lowering attendances e.g money..

We don't have 8 super teams, perhaps only 1 in Dublin right now. Super 8s is a pet name BTW dubbed by i think Joe Brolly (open to correction on that)

All Ireland quarter final group stage/phase is the correct name but i suppose the Super 8s term has stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

That's your opinion.

He's correct though.

Also my opinion.

Slattsy wrote:
    He's correct though.
    Also my opinion.
    Yes just an opinion like the rest of us. What makes you think your opinion is a fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd be in favour of scrapping it also as i don't see the sense of having a group stage for last 8. I know why its there though as its HQ way to make up for the lowering attendances e.g money..

We don't have 8 super teams, perhaps only 1 in Dublin right now. Super 8s is a pet name BTW dubbed by i think Joe Brolly (open to correction on that)

All Ireland quarter final group stage/phase is the correct name but i suppose the Super 8s term has stuck.

Don't think it was brolly. Think one of the papers coined that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's a ridiculous phrase imo, a quarter final is a one off match in anyones language

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Once the club and county agree then theres no issues but you need to play club championship before you can play for your new county in championship is the rule that made the Johnson thing such a story.

Johnson thing was a farce pulled off during championship period. He was brought on for a minute in a Kildare senior hurling club game for Coill Dúbh, much to the disgust of the hurling people. Thankfully, it did not work out.

Clark on other hand is obviously going to London on permanent or semi permanent basis to work or study or whatever it is he does, so is not only entitled to a legitimate transfer but it is good to see him keeping playing.

He is hardly glory hunting in London :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That's your opinion.

It's not an opinion though, thats what the market will say at the time. Unless you're arrogant enough to think that GAA markets are high percentage points wrong and that you, alone, are right

• Registered Users Posts: 68,811 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

threeball wrote: »
    Don't think it was brolly. Think one of the papers coined that phrase.

I think it was the CPA (Club players) who first used it when objecting to it as a proposal. They called it an 'elite super 8' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The phrase comes from the former Cricket World Cup QF stage where the teams go into a further group stage after a round robin called the Super 8s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Cricket_World_Cup_Super_Eight_stage

It was knocking about [:P] as an alternative name as soon as the GAA announced the concept in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I think it's rubbish - if the whole thing was spread out better it might work, there's no breathing space for anything, if you make a semi final, no time to enjoyt the build up. It's been very disappointing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There have been some great games in the football championship so far, it's just a pity more haven't been on RTE.

The Ulster Championship has been a revelation this year - lots of bright attacking football.

Roscommon players getting carried off the field after a pitch invasion in Salthill.

Cork actually turning up to a Munster final for the first time in a few years.

Some tasty qualifier tussles already taken place, and a few more this weekend. I'm personally looking forward to the 'Super 8s'.

People need to stop moaning and talking the game down - it becomes a bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

It's been a relatively good championship but you still get the feeling Dublin will have to much come September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It's a ridiculous phrase imo, a quarter final is a one off match in anyones language

Ridiculous it might be but that's its official name and its still the last 8 stage of the competition or be no longer knock out. Super 8s rolls off the tongue easier but the problem with that phrase is that some people think the 8 must be 8 super teams when matter of fact some of the best 8 don't even reach the last eight as was the case in 2001 to 2017 under the old quarter final format.

Maybe in the future HQ might think it will be wise to have a group stage for the last four and the media will call it the fabulous or fantastic four. How about a best of 3 games for the AI final between the gruesome twosome?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement