Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Connacht is pretty competitive too - Galway, Mayo, Roscommon

Plus the games between Sligo, Leitrim, London and New York are usually competitive. Sometimes they beat the top 3 or run them close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

That was a good decade of football Tyrone, Kerry, Armagh and Cork all won Sam and had very good teams and Meath and Galway were very strong earlier in the decade. Mayo were also good and teams generally speaking were much closer.

Nothing will beat the 90’s though, different winner every year and anybody could beat anybody from the semi final stage on it was brilliant. We will probably never see the like again.

Watch the opening part of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xY4gj1NLg

Essentially previewing the All Ireland in 1998. No-one had an absolute breeze who would win it. Every provincial winner was even in doubt.

Great times

Feel free to turn off after that though, nothing to see at all that year in terms of the winners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »

Essentially previewing the All Ireland in 1998. No-one had an absolute breeze who would win it. Every provincial winner was even in doubt.

Great times

Feel free to turn off after that though, nothing to see at all that year in terms of the winners :)

Cool programme. Still, 3 / 4 provinces correctly predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

JJJackal wrote:
    Plus the games between Sligo, Leitrim, London and New York are usually competitive. Sometimes they beat the top 3 or run them close

Galway are due in New York next year. Any changes should be held off till we get another trip to the Big Apple. It's only fair.

You're cherry picking there. In 2008, that was the only hammering from quarter final onwards, in 2009, Cork beat Donegal by a cricket score, but all other games were relatively close.

Yeah, I posted about this previously in another thread......4 of the 5 greatest hammerings in QF history have come in the last 4 years. It was certainly a lot closer in the 2005-2012 period.
    Quarter final winning margins
    The five most one sided All-Ireland Quarter-Finals and their margins of victory:
    27 points – 2015: Kerry 7-16 – 0-10 Kildare
    22 points – 2017: Mayo 4-19 – 0-09 Roscommon
    19 points - 2003: Tyrone 1-21 - 0-05 Fermanagh
    18 points – 2017: Tyrone 3-17 – 0-08 Armagh
    18 points – 2018: Tyrone 4-24 – 2-12 Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

jr86 wrote: »

Great times

If we took Dublin out of today’s championship you’d have 5-6 contenders and no clear favourite. That’s not their fault obviously but i do hope the gap is closed sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

The super eights at risk of possibly being a dead duck this year as well.

Tyrone and Dublin will breeze through their group. It's not even debatable. There meeting in omagh will be intriguing though.

Other group for me depends on what shape mayo are in. I expect them to beat galway this weekend but weather they have the legs in topple Kerry and donegal, I'm not convinced. But then again its mayo. I expect Kerry and donegal to come through with Kerry topping their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

C__MC wrote: »

Tyrone and Dublin will breeze through their group. It's not even debatable. There meeting in omagh will be intriguing though.

Other group for me depends on what shape mayo are in. I expect them to beat galway this weekend but weather they have the legs in topple Kerry and donegal, I'm not convinced. But then again its mayo. I expect Kerry and donegal to come through with Kerry topping their group.

Your are probably right but I dont think the Omagh clash between Dublin and Tyrone will be intriguing - I think both teams will be wary of showing their hand too much ahead of another potential final meeting.

The best thing to happen (blatantly showing my bias here) is that Mayo get into the other group. Kerry beat Mayo and then beat Donegal, Donegal beat Meath/Clare and Mayo beat Meath/Clare setting up a winner takes all game between Donegal and Mayo in Castlebar in R3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Which is the problem with the GAA being so democratic.

Nobody sees the bigger picture, they just vote for what is good for their county and not for the sport as a whole.

Too much self interest from people who have an influence on decisions has held back the GAA so much over the years.

When it comes to the Ulster Championship there are 9 counties quite content with how it operates, and the second most valued senior county title to Ulster footballers is the Ulster Championship

It`s competitive and it works, so they do not see how messing around splitting it up is going to make it any better. Especially when the only basis for doing so is an attempt to make the Leinster Championship more competitive.

The real elephant nowadays in the room is not the Ulster Championship,or indeed the Munster or Connacht Championships. It`s Dublin`s domination of Leinster.
    A bit too Irish to expect Ulster to sacrifice their Championship as some half cocked attempt at a quick fix for that imo.

charlie14 wrote: »
    When it comes to the Ulster Championship there are 9 counties quite content with how it operates, and the second most valued senior county title to Ulster footballers is the Ulster Championship

It`s competitive and it works, so they do not see how messing around splitting it up is going to make it any better. Especially when the only basis for doing so is an attempt to make the Leinster Championship more competitive.

The real elephant nowadays in the room is not the Ulster Championship,or indeed the Munster or Connacht Championships. It`s Dublin`s domination of Leinster.
    A bit too Irish to expect Ulster to sacrifice their Championship as some half cocked attempt at a quick fix for that imo.

Merging connacht and munster could make a few more good games

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The Munster Championship is in very bad shape in my opinion. Hurling takes precedence outside Kerry. Maybe Leinster and Munster should be mixed?

JJJackal wrote: »
    Merging connacht and munster could make a few more good games
    Put Kery in Leinster and the rest in Connacht. 3 competitive provinces.

Hurling has Galway in Leinster so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Munster Championship is in very bad shape in my opinion. Hurling takes precedence outside Kerry. Maybe Leinster and Munster should be mixed?

The Munster championship has been in bad shape for over 100 years.

Leinster will still need more than Kerry to make it competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

charlie14 wrote: »

It wouldn't be intended as a quick fix , the provinicals mean very little these days ans should be got rid of at senior level.

The only time they are really exciting is when a team wins one after a long time without winning but that only happens once a decade, is that really a good reason to maintain a structure.

It wouldn't be intended as a quick fix , the provinicals mean very little these days ans should be got rid of at senior level.

The only time they are really exciting is when a team wins one after a long time without winning but that only happens once a decade, is that really a good reason to maintain a structure.

The Ulster Championship means a lot to Ulster supporters and players.

Some seem to be looking for a championship with groupings that are competitive where every team has a chance of winning their group.
    We already have that.

It`s called the national league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It meant plenty to Roscommon players and supporters on June 16th and they had an awful long time to wait to win a Connacht title, way back in 2017 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

That "intriguing" game could turn out to be the deadest duck of the lot in that group if Tyrone and Dublin win their opening two group games (no disrespect to Cavan but i expect them to lose this weekend)

Semi finals are on the week after the round 3 games and in that situation both Tyrone and Dublin will start their 2nd string teams.

The All Ireland quarter finals should go back to knock out football as a group stage isn't or never will be suitable for the last 8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 ShlugEireann

The super 8s is played like the league. There's not much intensity or tension. If you lose, then ah well you have next week.

It's not really fair either. Let's say Mayo and Donegal are equal on points and play each other in the last round, then Mayo essentially have a home quarter final. Hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Will it improve attendances in any way? I don't see Cork supporters being too excited about the idea of a four or five hour trip to Sligo for a game and the same will be true the other way around.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »
    Will it improve attendances in any way? I don't see Cork supporters being too excited about the idea of a four or five hour trip to Sligo for a game and the same will be true the other way around.
    They won't even attend a Munster Final in Cork. It's not the GAAs fault they have terrible football support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The super 8s is played like the league. There's not much intensity or tension. If you lose, then ah well you have next week.

Totally disagree. Whoever loses the first day is under enormous pressure straight away, in the league you have another 6 games, its a completely different scenario. the only comparison we have really is the World Cup and while the nature of that game means that teams are often cagey in the first game and happy to settle for a draw thats not possible in gaelic so the game is as near a knockout game as can be. If Mayo are in Killarney on Sunday week, you'll see plenty of intensity and tension i can assure you.
    It's not really fair either. Let's say Mayo and Donegal are equal on points and play each other in the last round, then Mayo essentially have a home quarter final. Hardly fair.

Daft argument, someone is always going to be perceived as having an advantage depending on the draw. You could argue Mayo would be at a disadvantage having to play away/neutral first two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think people will underestimate Roscommon at their perl.
    Mayo and Galway are already paying the price for it.
    They are well capable of making that group interesting.

Unlike the league where there are 7 games, there are only 3 games in the super 8`s group with 2 teams from 4 qualifying for the semis

Lose the first and there is tension and the need for intensity in the next two.

I do not see how home advantage is any more or less fair than the league in the same scenario with Donegal and Mayo, where relegation or a league final can decide the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

if myo beat galway , i will be as excited as i have been for a few years, a big championship match in killarney , with the stadium packed , its way better than a half emty croker, donegal in c'bar would be soem game too(im not implying that mayo will beat galway easily btw, it'll be a tough game)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

I disagree with you and roscommon deservedly are connact champions btw.

Roscommon have a very poor record in the all Ireland series bar a draw with mayo in 2017. Dublin and Tyrone absolutely tanked them last year. Mayo left that game behind a few weeks ago rather then roscommon being tactically brilliant. I think in croke park Dublin would be way to strong for roscommon who also trailed by double scores at h t in the connacht final. That leaves us to the Tyrone game. I just dont see roscommon winning this. Tyrone are battled hardened enough to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Roscommon's long lay off might be their undoing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I dont think anyone will underestimate them and of course they have a chance of getting out of the group but i just cant see it. Thought they were poor at times V Mayo, any other decent team would have beaten them with the amount of scoring chances we had and Galway had the foot on their throat and let them back into it. They will bring serious intensity and belief to their game and make it tough for anyone but ultimately i can't it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Just on this topic - where is a good pub in walking distance from croker to watch the games tomorrow evening before the concert?

Tyrone v Cavan ;) 5pm live on Sky.

Can only think of back page in phibsboro, maybe the croke park hotel itself but it could be jammers. Don't want to go anywhere like McGowan's that'll have a pre-concert westlife party belting out their songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Just on this topic - where is a good pub in walking distance from croker to watch the games tomorrow evening before the concert?

Tyrone v Cavan ;) 5pm live on Sky.

Can only think of back page in phibsboro, maybe the croke park hotel itself but it could be jammers. Don't want to go anywhere like McGowan's that'll have a pre-concert westlife party belting out their songs.
    Fagans or Kennedys maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement