Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limerickabroad

2 years ago, I was at the U2 Concert in Croker, and I watched Tipp V Clare hurling quarter-final in Quinn's beforehand - big crowd watching the hurling there too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Fagans or Kennedys maybe?

Fagan's is a great shout

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Auld Triangle or the Brian Boru (Hedigans) in Phibs should have it on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Gaffneys in Fairview maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭munster87

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Just on this topic - where is a good pub in walking distance from croker to watch the games tomorrow evening before the concert?

Tyrone v Cavan ;) 5pm live on Sky.

Can only think of back page in phibsboro, maybe the croke park hotel itself but it could be jammers. Don't want to go anywhere like McGowan's that'll have a pre-concert westlife party belting out their songs.

The Millmount.

• Advertisement

Predictions for the weekend?

I see 3 of these games being relatively tight with Tyrone being the outlier in that they are a decent bit better than their opponent.

I'm going to go with:

Tyrone to win by 5+ and the handicap of -4 looks tasty as far as I'm concerned or you could pull that into -2 and double it up with another.

Cork will pull away in the end but it will be tight for a decent chunk of the game - Cork by 4 and look like a fairly solid bet in my eyes

Mayo and Galway is very hard to call as Mayo are missing a lot and Galway have been beating them consistently over the last few years - I'm going to go with Mayo by 2 as I just feel that they are more willing to go to the well than a mentally fragile Galway. Red card is the bet to make here in my eyes - whichever team is on the way out will have at least one player wanting to leave his mark

Meath and Clare is very hard to call aswell but I'm going to go with Clare to pull it off by a point - however this could easily swing either way as I reckon it will be quite low scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Predictions for the weekend?

I see 3 of these games being relatively tight with Tyrone being the outlier in that they are a decent bit better than their opponent.

I'm going to go with:

Tyrone to win by 5+ and the handicap of -4 looks tasty as far as I'm concerned or you could pull that into -2 and double it up with another.

Cork will pull away in the end but it will be tight for a decent chunk of the game - Cork by 4 and look like a fairly solid bet in my eyes

Mayo and Galway is very hard to call as Mayo are missing a lot and Galway have been beating them consistently over the last few years - I'm going to go with Mayo by 2 as I just feel that they are more willing to go to the well than a mentally fragile Galway. Red card is the bet to make here in my eyes - whichever team is on the way out will have at least one player wanting to leave his mark

Meath and Clare is very hard to call aswell but I'm going to go with Clare to pull it off by a point - however this could easily swing either way as I reckon it will be quite low scoring.

Galway also have a lot of injuries which people are overlooking for some reason.

Galway also have a lot of injuries which people are overlooking for some reason.

They do but I have a feeling that Comer will be back.

Any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Probably because Mayo have been playing more recently and getting injured more recently.

I agree with the poster about the red card too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Just on this topic - where is a good pub in walking distance from croker to watch the games tomorrow evening before the concert?

Tyrone v Cavan ;) 5pm live on Sky.

Can only think of back page in phibsboro, maybe the croke park hotel itself but it could be jammers. Don't want to go anywhere like McGowan's that'll have a pre-concert westlife party belting out their songs.
    What part of the city are you coming from?

As there's no soccer or rugby on I'd imagine any of the pubs in Phibsboro, Drumcondra, Fairview etc would have the game on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Any predictions?

I agree with you but I think Meath will shade it as they may win the midfield battle.

Stoner wrote: »
    I agree with you but I think Meath will shade it as they may win the midfield battle.

I think Clare under 1.5 goals coupled with the other predictions will return a decent sum.
    The midfield battle is key as both teams are relatively strong there while they are well matched in terms of Clare's other strongest sector being their attack will be met by Meath's other strongest sector of defence.

I just have a feeling that Meath will be fairly disillusioned with their lot after the hiding they got off Dublin and Clare will take advantage of it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stoner wrote: »

Is the Brennan lad for Clare not a man mountain, fielding planes and space ships with his jumping ability?
    Just heard him mentioned a good bit in the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Always_Running

C__MC wrote: »
    I disagree with you and roscommon deservedly are connact champions btw.

Roscommon have a very poor record in the all Ireland series bar a draw with mayo in 2017. Dublin and Tyrone absolutely tanked them last year. Mayo left that game behind a few weeks ago rather then roscommon being tactically brilliant. I think in croke park Dublin would be way to strong for roscommon who also trailed by double scores at h t in the connacht final. That leaves us to the Tyrone game. I just dont see roscommon winning this. Tyrone are battled hardened enough to beat them.

Last year Roscommon prepared for the championship in a low level Div 2, lost the Connacht final and had to play the Tyrone game a week after coming through a tough battle played in really warm weather.

This time prepared for the championship in Div 1 held their own in matches v Dublin,Mayo,Tyrone,Monaghan, won Connacht beating Mayo and Galway away deservedly so and have 4 weeks to prepare for the quarter finals.

Dublin will be too strong i feel for any team in Croke park this summer. The important game will be round 1 in Hyde Park and a win there for Roscommon will throw the cat among the pigeons as to who will finish 2nd in that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

yop wrote: »
    Is the Brennan lad for Clare not a man mountain, fielding planes and space ships with his jumping ability?
    Brennan and O'Connor for Clare is as good as any midfield pairing about. Menton is good for Meath also.

Meath are going to go back to their natural game after the effort to save face v Dublin. They should have too much for Clare who were less than impressive in their win v Westmeath whereby the games key score was goal keeper error and 3 of Westmeath's best players was lost to black cards and injury within the first 25 minutes.

Only four Leinster counties have managed to recover from losing a provincial final since 2001. Meath should become the 5th team.

yop wrote: »

Yeah he’s been doing it for years, great midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭spurshero

Exactly not a word about that . Comer or Conroy having kicked a ball in championship this year . 2 big players for us .

Hard to predict any of the games barring the first, Tyrone by 4-7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Hard to predict any of the games barring the first, Tyrone by 4-7 points.

Tyrone by 10+ points.

Would go Cork by 3

Meath by 4

Mayo by 1.

Lottery numbers to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

spurshero wrote: »
    Exactly not a word about that . Comer or Conroy having kicked a ball in championship this year . 2 big players for us .

Ya but i think its just a case that we have lost 2 and now possibly 3 of our key players since the cship began. Whats the general feeling re Comer? I presume he'll be thrown on at some stage especially if ye are behind?

• Advertisement

Tyrone by 10+ points.

Would go Cork by 3

Meath by 4

Mayo by 1.

Lottery numbers to follow.
    10 is too much IMO but Tyrone will be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

munster87 wrote: »

Apparently he didn’t play midfield against Leitrim and Terry Hyland commented that Clare had two very good midfielders even without him being stationed there. Terry has been knocking round the inter county scene for a long time now and doesn’t mince his words so I’d take notice of what he says.

I’d see Meath as weak at midfield. Menton is good but McEntee is poor and their half forward line is fairly weak too in terms of supporting for breaking balls.

Meath had an impressive Division 2 campaign but I attended a number of their games and they’ll be in big trouble in Division 1 next year. The two teams coming down are better than them.

Clare could give them a shock because Meath were poor in their championship games even before the Dublin match.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Apparently he didn’t play midfield against Leitrim and Terry Hyland commented that Clare had two very good midfielders even without him being stationed there. Terry has been knocking round the inter county scene for a long time now and doesn’t mince his words so I’d take notice of what he says.

I’d see Meath as weak at midfield. Menton is good but McEntee is poor and their half forward line is fairly weak too in terms of supporting for breaking balls.

Meath had an impressive Division 2 campaign but I attended a number of their games and they’ll be in big trouble in Division 1 next year. The two teams coming down are better than them.

Clare could give them a shock because Meath were poor in their championship games even before the Dublin match.

I have Clare +3 in an accumulator at 8/11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

They do but I have a feeling that Comer will be back.

Any predictions?

Mayo to beat Galway
    Meath to beat Clare
    Cork to beat Laois
    Tyrone to beat Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ya but i think its just a case that we have lost 2 and now possibly 3 of our key players since the cship began. Whats the general feeling re Comer? I presume he'll be thrown on at some stage especially if ye are behind?

His ankle is supposed to be in bits . Not good supposedly . Only came on for last 10 mins of recent club game . Not sure he will play any part

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

munster87 wrote:

He has but I think maybe meath aren't too bad there so I think they might level out, after that I think meath have better players.

Yop I agree, Brennan is a modern Stefan White, that player everyone says would start on any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Didn't play midfield v Kerry either he spent a lot of time on the 40 and drifted in and out of midfield.

Clare are a good side but I reckon Meath are just that but better overall

• Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's all very quiet up in these parts...Cavan very quiet. Are they gonna surprise Tyrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Gael85

Played majority of championship games at centre forward. Sean O'Donoghue has been playing in the middle along side Cathal O'Connor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's all very quiet up in these parts...Cavan very quiet. Are they gonna surprise Tyrone?

No

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement