Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

kneemos wrote: »

I wouldn't have much time for Aontu or their position on anything but there is no need for this type of thing. If you don't like a candidate or their position on anything, then don't give them a preference on the ballot paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kneemos wrote: »

It was probably "Labour" that did it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

vicwatson wrote: »
    It was probably "Labour" that did it

I think Labour of all parties know what it's like to have posters torn down, burned, or defaced. Anyone with a slight amount of cop on would respect another party's posters regardless of their social views. I've noticed similar defacement across the country of most party's posters, absolutely no excuse for it and it only empowers the candidate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

D6yJPLXWkAAVEFN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

All i've heard from Jackser is "We need Pennys and a cinema in Enniscorthy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Drove through Enniscorthy yesterday and seen a poster for a Keith Doyle and something about giving back €44,000. Any ideas whats that about?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Big Vern wrote: »
    Drove through Enniscorthy yesterday and seen a poster for a Keith Doyle and something about giving back €44,000. Any ideas whats that about?

donating his Co. Council Chairman's allowance to Enniscorthy Sports Hub facility in Cherry Orchard.

https://www.cllrkeithdoyle.com/articles?fbclid=IwAR2zSy6LTUkxDCZi4JL-ruLulLlK8_a9NJt4v7bjHsGvakN1NGAb2RKr0LI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

He says he doesn't claim the expenses that Councillors are entitled to:

https://www.cllrkeithdoyle.com/meet-keith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Looks like Navarre posted at exactly the same time as me.

Also looks now like it might not be the case that he never accepts anything in expenses – ‘just’ that he gave back the €30,000 chairman’s allowance, a €6,000 figure some other time, and presumably some other few bits and pieces to make it up to €44,000.

Still more than most others have done, though…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So, local election day is upon us once again - what way will you vote?

Me, I'm a natural Green Party voter but they are so useless down here that they can't even muster a candidate - unless I'm missing something? Anyway, after that knave Ciaran Cuffe backed the closure of the Rosslare Strand/Waterford rail link it will be a long time before they get my vote again.

This time my No.1. and only vote, will be going to Annette Byrne-Moran (the florist on Court Street) who I know and is a decent, committed individual - we might be on different ends of the political spectrum but she stands head and shoulders above the other same old chancers standing for Wexford Co.Council.

As for the divorce issue - no affect on me = no vote.

EU election = spoil my vote as I always have done since my first opportunity back in the early 1980s. Anybody else got any opinions? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Del.Monte wrote: »

As for the divorce issue - no affect on me = no vote.

If it doesn't affect you, help those who it will. Vote YES

If it doesn't affect you, help those who it will. Vote YES

Nope, the present situation seems okay to me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Nope, the present situation seems okay to me .

That's fine, it's the point you made that it didn't affect you that I was commenting on

EU election = spoil my vote as I always have done since my first opportunity back in the early 1980s. Anybody else got any opinions? :)

Curious as to why you spoil your vote?

Wexford LEA I'm voting Leonard Kelly fresh blood fresh ideas.

I'm not a fan of the Common Market/EEC/EU or any other body that keeps changing its name - Calder Hall/Windscale/Sellafield....I don't favour uncontrolled movement of people within the EU, an EU Superstate or a European Army - so, who could I vote for?

The reasons for the foundation of the Common Market in the interests of promoting peace and ensuring there would be no more European wars were good, but the lunatic expansion that has take place since and the uncontrolled immigration that has been allowed will turn the thing on its head. You did ask. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I'm not a fan of the Common Market/EEC/EU or any other body that keeps changing its name - Calder Hall/Windscale/Sellafield....I don't favour uncontrolled movement of people within the EU, an EU Superstate or a European Army - so, who could I vote for?

The reasons for the foundation of the Common Market in the interests of promoting peace and ensuring there would be no more European wars were good, but the lunatic expansion that has take place since and the uncontrolled immigration that has been allowed will turn the thing on its head. You did ask. :)

Agree with a lot of what you say but I stll think that the way to change it is to send people to the European Parliament who have similar views and this means not voting for FF/FG/ Labour /Greens.
    I voted to join the EEC in 1972 because it was sold as a chance to join a huge trading block. There were no arguments against having free access to such a market and to be fair, Ireland has gained many benefits from joining.
    I have however, voted no in every European referendum since because anybody with half a brain could see that they were designed to centralise the political system in Europe. Ireland is not an independent nation any more but a satellite state, the events of 2007-2012 are evidence of this and of the political treachery of the governments of that time.
    However we're in it now and totally dependent upon it, so all we can do is try and influence decisions in the European institutions, the alternative is just unimaginable.
    Immigration to Ireland is, as you say, out of control due to our lax border controls and to a legal system which allows virtually unlimited appeals against deportation, paid for by the hard pressed taxpayer and encouraged by lawyers eager to make a fast buck and if all this fails the old human rights card is played. ( Google Pamela Izevbacki)
    The vast majority of "asylum seekers" in this country are from countries in sub Saharan Africa and from Asia, not from Syria or Yemen as they woud have us believe, and most of these are here illegally, as there are no direct transport links to these countries and a Visa would, in any case, be required. They must, in that case, have come here through a third country, why then didn't they seek asylum there?
    So, in summary, the EU has become a behemoth and influence is unequally distributed to the largest. most powerful members and those powerful member governments, like our own, are hugely influenced by commercial and corporate interests but recently it has been shown how people power can be brought to bear on even the most powerful of these, so why give up what little bit of influence you might have by not voting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Any word on local elections yet.

brilou23 wrote: »
    Any word on local elections yet.

It looks like Sinn Fein have taken a hammering in Gorey, Rosslare, Kilmuckridge and Enniscorthy areas they may loose some seats and a strong rise in support in Fianna Fail so far.

Nothing confirmed so far though still allot of counting going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Saw lots of the spoiled votes at the tally in Wexford . One wrote Gobsh**es in all the boxes .
    Another just 3 X's instead of 1-2-3. One with a massive X from corner to corner

Saw many blanks - not filled in at all

One filled in with all No.1's . Saw one starting at No. 3-4-5-6 etc

47939345221_ec75138ca7_b.jpg

47939352851_380b26e2b7_b.jpg

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Wexford LEA I'm voting Leonard Kelly fresh blood fresh ideas.

I voted for Leonard Kelly and was delighted to see him get elected. He has some good ideas around mental health issues and hopefully he will get the support to implement these.

Wexford District did well 5 out of the 7 are from the town though FF and FG might have to ask themselves where has their urban town vote gone ? as only the rural candidates got enough votes to be elected.

As ive never voted for FF/FG, i couldnt answer where their vote has gone!!

I always seen town as a strong Labour and independent area. Good to see some new faces in there, lets hope for some change with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I voted for Leonard Kelly and was delighted to see him get elected. He has some good ideas around mental health issues and hopefully he will get the support to implement these.

The council has no control over mental health facilities, which I'm fairly sure everyone (bar Fine Gael) agree needs a comprehensive radical overhaul.
    McLoughlin wrote: »
    Wexford District did well 5 out of the 7 are from the town though FF and FG might have to ask themselves where has their urban town vote gone ? as only the rural candidates got enough votes to be elected.

Wexford town has always been strongly Labour. In the wider district Labour got 34% and Hynes, who is ex Labour, got 7%. It's a town proud of its trade union roots, that said Fine Gael's vote did increase in the town, and Fianna Fáil should be somewhat happy with its performance.

Advertisement