Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying from Canada with accessories???

Options
  • 14-04-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    I will have the opportunity to go to Canada in the next month or so.

I'm gonna try to visit a Gun shop or two (the larger outdoor shops for sure).

I'm bound to see a few bits that I'll want to pick up, magazine pouches for belts, springs, maybe a spare firing pin/extractor etc.

Will i get arrested if I put these in my suitcase (in the hold, not carry on)?Would I need to alert Canadian authorities when I'm coming home that I have a few bits?
    Would I need to bring my license with me?

I am not talking about uppers or lowers, etc. Just maybe some after market bits.

Anyone suggest what I should avoid having? (like would firing pins, magazines extractors etc be a big no no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

magazine pouches for belts, springs, maybe a spare firing pin/extractor etc.
    Shouldnt be any problem,unless the Canucks have some law against exporting ammo pouches or springs.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've ordered stuff from Canadian sources (not he same as traveling with it) because of the restrictions of getting it from the states and never had an issue or bother.

Unless, as you said, it's some really obvious stuff or "brow raising" stuff like uppers, perhaps even as simple as a magazine then i don't know, but for the smaller stuff it's either not a firearm or so small as to not be an issue (like the firing pin).

No harm to bring your licenses, even though they're not valid abroad. They don't take up much room and might save some explaining. IOW better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I live in Canada for part of the year, and can say with a degree of certainty that we don't care overmuch about stuff leaving Canada and going somewhere else. It's one way of not running foul of the US ITAR with regard to most things except firearm pressure-bearing parts. No Canadian gun store would sell any foreigner any kind of 'upper'.

Must remember that Canada has only got five-round capacity magazines, and unless you can produce your RPAL - the equivalent of your restricted licence - you are not going to be able to buy anything larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Will Canadian stores ship the likes of scopes or rangefinders ?

They did, but it's been a few years. However according to Tac, they don't seemed to have changed. I've bought rails, rings, scopes, and even a stock from Canada. Nothing took more than three weeks and all was ordered online.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

By the by, check out EVERYTHING before acting on any advice, including mine. Don't get caught out because i, or someone else, said to just go for it.

:cool:
    Vizzy wrote: »
    Will Canadian stores ship the likes of scopes or rangefinders ?

Just how many scopes and rangefinders are you intending to import? Your own customs and excise Joes might take a dim view of you importing a few of each at a time.

Providing you are not trying to rip the a$$ out of it I'd say that one of each is just about your limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I have brought back 3 scopes from Canada and loads of night force mounts and never had any hassle

Conchurl wrote: »
    I have brought back 3 scopes from Canada and loads of night force mounts and never had any hassle

I could care less that you are making a business out of it - Canada benefits, after all. Please continue to spend lots of money in Canada...hopefully not in Québec, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

tac foley wrote: »
    I could care less that you are making a business out of it - Canada benefits, after all. Please continue to spend lots of money in Canada...hopefully not in Québec, though.

Not making a business I used to go over every 6 months and would get asked by friends to bring them back the stuff. Only one scope was for me. It was Toronto I used to visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tac foley wrote: »
    :cool:

Just how many scopes and rangefinders are you intending to import? Your own customs and excise Joes might take a dim view of you importing a few of each at a time.

Providing you are not trying to rip the a$$ out of it I'd say that one of each is just about your limit.

Tac,

I would only be interested in one of each( if I go ahead at all).
    Not even thinking of anything really expensive, maybe a cheap and cheerful Rangefinder as I will never be using it on a range etc and possibly a mid range scope ( €500 or $750 Dollars)
    Thanks for the advice.

Viz

CAn i ask someone in the know, is there a saving to be had.

The stuff i bought was because i couldn't get it here, and it was a while ago. However a quick, and i mean quick, check shows that prices don't seem that much better.
    • Nightforce NXS in Canada is around $2800 which is €1900. I seen them here for €1550.
    • Leica 2700 Range finder is $1200 which is €800. They are available here for €750.
    • Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST is $1600 which is €1080. they are available here for €1200
    • Vortex Viper 6.5-20 is $900 which is €600. I see them available for €555 to €675 here.

All the above is without taking into account possible duties on entry to Ireland. I also have to say i didn't check every Canadian site and did not shop around so those prices are not the average just the ones i found.

You have to remember that importation tax INTO Canada from the USA is horrendous, based on the poor exchange rate for the Canadian dollar in cross-border transactions. Also, factor in the GST in Canada. It's true that you can claim a GST refund on leaving the country, but still.

I benefit in Canada from having contacts in a local gun store, and in the USA from the same deal, bearing in mind that the state we live in for part of the year has no sales tax.

Advertisement