Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with old Apple Devices?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 4:58pm

I've a few old iPhones, ipods and an iPad (going back about 5 years) that didn't take kindly to the Apple updates.

Any ideas what do to with these devices now? Is there a market for them or could i still make use of them in some way?

thanks

video camera works on them all- internet on the iPad is useless except for youtube and boards of all things, but fails on sites like Independent.ie (keeps refreshing the page)

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

There’s always a market for secondhand equipment, as long as it’s priced accordingly, I had to dig a 2009 MacBook out of my closet after 2 other MacBook pros mysteriously crashed in the past 12months.(hardware seems to be ok on them both following diagnostics, tried using different boot drives but nothing happening)

Have a look online and try make a few quid selling - be prepared for people to offer 1/3 or 1/2 of asking price, no matter how reasonable the price is.

There’s always a market for secondhand equipment, as long as it’s priced accordingly, I had to dig a 2009 MacBook out of my closet after 2 other MacBook pros mysteriously crashed in the past 12months.(hardware seems to be ok on them both following diagnostics, tried using different boot drives but nothing happening)

Have a look online and try make a few quid selling - be prepared for people to offer 1/3 or 1/2 of asking price, no matter how reasonable the price is.

Thanks- I wouldn't know what a "reasonable price" looks like for these products.

I know an 80GB iPod was worth a few quid a few years ago just for its storage alone- but after that, I wouldn't have a clue- I must look them all up and see.

Probably more interested in seeing if I can get them working as CCTV cameras- would this be an option as a home security solution?

Have a look on eBay/adverts/gumtree/donedeal and see what others are asking and guesstimate that these are possibly a guide as to the maximum you should receive.

Have a look on eBay/adverts/gumtree/donedeal and see what others are asking and guesstimate that these are possibly a guide as to the maximum you should receive.

More to the point, what do people do with "old apple devices?"

Is there a practical use i can still get from them?

They could be jail broken and given new life using alternative operating systems or used for spare parts for people with broken products.

If you have the knowledge and understanding of electronics you could open them up and play around with the components in other eletronics, ie. create your own product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

You could donate them to a good cause, like iPhones4Autism: http://www.ipads4autism-ie.blogspot.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I use my old 2011 iPad at work as a radio/streaming device (BBC iPlayer Radio app & the iOS Podcasts app) - plugged in to old Logitec PC speakers, works a treat all day.

Type 17 wrote: »
    I use my old 2011 iPad at work as a radio/streaming device (BBC iPlayer Radio app & the iOS Podcasts app) - plugged in to old Logitec PC speakers, works a treat all day.

Yeah - problem is I’ve too many devices to use now as a streaming device and a few good Bluetooth speakers to boot :D

I might just try and sell them for a few bob and put them towards my next apple device - Thanks

Advertisement