Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Vacant house

• 14-04-2019 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Guys,

So my partner and I have just launched our mortgage application and hope to be approved within 7-10 days time.
    We are currently in a rental property and we have to move out in June.
    We have found a house we want to buy, we have viewed it 3 times and have had a structural report done on it.
    The owners live in England and are eager to sell. They worry a lot about the house being vacant and possibly being vandalised or other.
    Obviously it will take at least 2-3 for the whole process to be done including the solicitors doing their work etc.
    Would it be possible for us to move in to the property asap after an offer is accepted provided the owners are happy with that (which I believe they would be) . Is there anything that would legally stop that? Maybe we could move in and pay rent up until the sale has fully gone through almost like buying a house with a tenant in it even though we would be the tenants?

We want to put this to the owners and the real estate agent, as we are worried we will have nowhere to go considering there is nothing to rent in our area ( and we have the added bonus of having 4 dogs which makes finding properties even harder).

Any help is kindly appreciated.

Regards,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

This sounds like a great idea and you can always qskbut their solicitor will advise them strongly not to do this. It has the potential to get messy Your sale should be doable within 2 months .. focus on that and if any delays ask your ll to extend on that basis

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dazza123

bleary wrote: »
    This sounds like a great idea and you can always qskbut their solicitor will advise them strongly not to do this. It has the potential to get messy Your sale should be doable within 2 months .. focus on that and if any delays ask your ll to extend on that basis

Thanks for your reply!
    Landlord cannot extend our tenancy as they use this house as an airbnb during the summer and have bookings from June onwards. We have only been in this place since September and knew it would be short term. Worst case scenario we could move in to my folks small townhouse but it would be absolutely hectic with 4 dogs and my pregnant missus!
    Not to mention having to put all of our furniture and household items in storage.
    So we are just trying to figure out a way if we could potentially move in before the exchange of keys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It is most unlikely that anyone would allow you rent a property pending completion of a sale. It is far too messy. The best you can hope for is that the owner puts pressure on their solicitors to move quickly and that all is in order from a tritle point of view. You are only required to give a few weeks notice to your current landlord so you should have little or no overlap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dazza123 wrote: »
    We have only been in this place since September
    So, you've been there 6 months? Part IV, if you can't get a place to move to. If you're planning on buying a house, you don't really have to worry about burning bridges for renting references. Be the cnut that landlords hate, because when it comes down to it, bleh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think my folks did this years ago when they bought their first house. They moved in under a specific caretakers agreement. Ask your solicitor about the possibility of drafting and proposing one to the vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, as Charlie said, this is called a caretaker agreement, we did this when selling our place once as we were headed out of the country. It needs to come from your solicitor, so run it past them first.

Advertisement