Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Tiger Woods surpass Jack Nicklaus total of 18 majors?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Didn't think I'd be having this conversation ever again. But yes, its back on now.

Some people will say this victory is a one off, he'll never win another again. I don't, I think another major at the very least is very likely providing he stays fit.

He's 43, but sportstars are living forever now. Federer winning at 37/38 in a sport that traditionally been a death sentence for people over 30, Tom Brady the best quarterback in the world at 41/42, Ronnie O'Sullivan dominating in a sport which players usually don't past 40. Messi and Ronaldo dominating football at ages 34 and (nearly) 32. Tour de France winners well into their 30s now. Serena Williams is nearly 38 herself.

If he stays fit he could play well into his 50s.

I think its certain he'll surpass Sam Snead's record of 82 PGA tour wins. But do you think Nicklaus record is doable?? I think he'd need to win another major this year or next to be in a real shout for it. He needs to cash in while the iron is hot.

He had a great run of form in 2012/2013 and didn't capitalise that time.

Will Tiger Woods surpass Jack Nicklaus record of 18 majors? 100 votes

Yes
    82% 82 votes
    No
    18% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's a tough call. I wouldn't bet against it, but there's no doubt that he has a better than evens chance at Augusta. One third of his major wins have been there. But there's a lot of talent about who can really give him a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think he'll win another major, but I can't see him winning another four. The standard of competition is so much higher now than earlier in his career.

If his body holds together he's got around five more years at the top. So, say around 20 majors. If he can win two more he'll have done exceptionally well. I can't see him passing or even matching Jack Nicklaus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

He's the greatest golfer and possibly sportsman ever...I wouldn't bet against it for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    He's the greatest golfer and possibly sportsman ever...I wouldn't bet against it for a second

Not sure about that. I don't know if I would put him any higher than Federer who is the undisputed GOAT of mens tennis and has taken mens tennis to equally new heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Don't think he will. It's a young man's game now and Tiger looked old compared to those he was playing against today. Every now and then someone in his 40s may win but to say a 40+ year old will win 4 is stretching things (and before you ask I'm older than Tiger). Even McIllroy looks to have passed his window to win multiple majors with the younger lads coming up behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Jack Nicklaus?

Not sure about that. I don't know if I would put him any higher than Federer who is the undisputed GOAT of mens tennis and has taken mens tennis to equally new heights.

Sure Djokovic will have Federers record beaten soon enough

Hoboo wrote:
    Jack Nicklaus?

Mad thing is if Tigers back held up and he didn't have those personal problems how many majors would he of been on now?! 20, 25...easily could of really.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Jack Nicklaus?

You can make a claim for Woods based on the Tiger slam of 00-01, the fact that he is likely to pass Sam Snead's PGA tour wins record etc.

But he's not the undisputed GOAT, he would need to break Nicklaus for that claim I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I now think he'll win at least one more, don't think he'll surpass 18 but it wouldn't shock me if he equalled it. If he wins another this year he's got a chance

• Advertisement

Mad thing is if Tigers back held up and he didn't have those personal problems how many majors would he of been on now?! 20, 25...easily could of really.

But that's partly his own fault, he choose an explosive style of golf that was likely never going to play well into his later years.

Irrelevant now since he won today, but I think if he had paced himself better like Nicklaus he could have done it (and he still might).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Said it earlier.

I'd say that is it.

Can't see that many players letting him off like that again.

Like 12 th was a joke by 3 of the real contenders.

Said it earlier.

I'd say that is it.

Can't see that many players letting him off like that again.

Like 12 th was a joke by 3 of the real contenders.

He went out there and shot 2 under and won, while also letting several chances slide by himself (at 14 and 17 in particular)

NDWC wrote: »
    Ah would you ever go away with that ****e

He went out there and shot 2 under and won, while also letting several chances slide by himself (at 14 and 17 in particular)

What are you talking about "****e".

Most of the voters know he won't surpass jack . That's one thing.

But the two leading lads and koepka had a bit of a mare.

Then another 10 to 20 golfers who can play as well or better than him at present .

He is 43 years of age and has a restricted practice regime.

Fantastic day . Incredible achievement.

But people thinking this is the start of a 2nd run of majors are delusional imo.

But an opinion. Come back to me at end of year.

If he wins 18 . I'll put my hands up . But it must be a 500/1 shot at least.

What are you talking about "****e".

Most of the voters know he won't surpass jack . That's one thing.

But the two leading lads and koepka had a bit if a mare.

Then another 10 to 20 golfers who can play as well or better then him at present .

He is 43 years of age and has a restricted practice regime.

Fantastic day . Incredible achievement.

But thinking this is the start of a 2nd run of majors are delusional imo.

But an opinion. Come back to me at end of year.

You could say that every tournament winner in history was let off by loads of others though. That was what I was referring to. The general point about thinking he won't win again is fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

In all fairness, he could easily have won the last three Majors. I think he’ll get to 16, but could conceivably get to 18. 19’s a massive ask.

Nicklaus used to claim he had 20 Majors. Then he stopped. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

They’ll make a movie about that comeback. Incredible scenes

You could say that every tournament winner in history was let off by loads of others though. That was what I was referring to. The general point about thinking he won't win again is fair enough.

Yes but today 3 top pros went into water with a 9 iron or less and then 2 couldn't get up and down.

Genuinely can't see stuff like that again.

It does happen . But come on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

Yes but today 3 top pros went into water with a 9 iron or less and then 2 couldn't get up and down.

That’s the pressure of Major Championships. One man has tended to handle it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

In all fairness, he could easily have won the last three Majors. I think he’ll get to 16, but could conceivably get to 18. 19’s a massive ask.

Nicklaus used to claim he had 20 Majors. Then he stopped. I wonder why?

the smoking had an effect i suppose

• Advertisement

But who's to say how their rounds would've turned out had they not found water on 12?

Koepka might not have been as aggressive on 13 and wouldn't have made eagle

Molinari might not have been as aggressive on 17 and wouldn't have made birdie

Both might have made a bogey on 18 if leading

etc.

It's like saying if Liverpool had a different keeper in last year's CL final they'd have won it. Maybe they would've but maybe not, all hypothetical

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Didn't you get the memo?
    When it happens for Rory it's normal but for Tiger it's lucky somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I see more...just not sure if 3 more

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

If he stays away from his bottom line with his problems the sky's the limit, but one sniff of dangerous liaison's he's back down the wrong hole.

Interesting to see that a third of you think he will win 4 more, not impossible but its a tough ask.

He has every chance. With his physique & mental fortitude, one major every year over the next four years isn't beyond comprehension.

He has every chance. With his physique & mental fortitude, one major every year over the next four years isn't beyond comprehension.

That's still a tough ask. Even during Woods's peak years of 1997-2008 he wasn't winning a major every year and sometimes went a through baron spells e.g. 2003 and 2004.

It really depends on his body and we don't know how long it will hold up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

This one was a really big deal, he hadn't won a major in 11 years. He held it together well. I think he will be more relaxed for the next one. He has a good chance to equal or maybe even better Jack.

Tiger missed a lot of putts this week and still won.

backspin. wrote: »
    This one was a really big deal, he hadn't won a major in 11 years. He held it together well. I think he will be more relaxed for the next one. He has a good chance to equal or maybe even better Jack.

Tiger missed a lot of putts this week and still won.

4 majors is still a lot of majors for someone who is 43 and has injury problems. That's Mickleson/McIlroy's entire career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

4 majors is still a lot of majors for someone who is 43 and has injury problems. That's Mickleson/McIlroy's entire career.

He wasn't a million miles away at the British Open. 4 more is a big ask true, but i think he has more in him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement