Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Tiger Woods surpass Jack Nicklaus total of 18 majors?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

backspin. wrote: »
    He wasn't a million miles away at the British Open. 4 more is a big ask true, but i think he has more in him.

Or the US Open.

He has contended in basically 3 out of the last 5 and won 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think he will contend in the master's and Open not sure if he will win any more.
    Not sure I have seen anyone win the Master's shooting 70 the last day so it did fall in his lap a bit.
    A Open in tough conditions where he can plot his way around might be his best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Or the US Open.

There's also the boost to his self-belief that this win will have given him. I know he's Tiger and self-belief is in his DNA, but there's a lot of good golfers out there now and it's probably a bigger fight than he's ever had in his career to get a win. I don't think he can beat the big hitters on those long US Open courses, but the likes of Augusta where even when he's in trouble, he can plot his way out of a bogey that he's probably ahead of everybody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, he wins the Tour Championship and The Masters, probably the last two biggest stroke play comps (think there was a WGC thrown in I've forgotten about) and you say it's a once off.

He will play Majors, WGCs and selected events from now on, he has zero interest in his World Ranking and I'd say not much interest in travelling all over the world to contend.

Goal 1 : Beat Sam's record

Goal 2 : Match Jack's

Goal 3 : Beat Jack's

Can he do it? Absolutely. Will he do it...….

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hope he does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What are you talking about "****e".

Most of the voters know he won't surpass jack . That's one thing.

But the two leading lads and koepka had a bit of a mare.

Then another 10 to 20 golfers who can play as well or better than him at present .

He is 43 years of age and has a restricted practice regime.

Fantastic day . Incredible achievement.

But people thinking this is the start of a 2nd run of majors are delusional imo.

But an opinion. Come back to me at end of year.

If he wins 18 . I'll put my hands up . But it must be a 500/1 shot at least.

Yeah while Tiger Woods held his nerve. After an 11 year gap since his last major. And this was the Masters.

Other having 'mares' while you hold your head is all part of winning and losing majors.

slave1 wrote: »
    LOL, he wins the Tour Championship and The Masters, probably the last two biggest stroke play comps (think there was a WGC thrown in I've forgotten about) and you say it's a once off.

He will play Majors, WGCs and selected events from now on, he has zero interest in his World Ranking and I'd say not much interest in travelling all over the world to contend.

Goal 1 : Beat Sam's record

Goal 2 : Match Jack's

Goal 3 : Beat Jack's

Can he do it? Absolutely. Will he do it...….
    I'd be pretty certain he'll beat Sam's record. Just needs another few PGA Tour wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i hope he does it and i think hell win more as i always feel past champions at the masters and the British open always have chances to do it again at a later age but i feel he come up short

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

The big change in his game is off the tee. He no longer seems to have what was deemed the 'big miss' i.e. that one bloody drive that misses the planet and is a card wrecker. He now has a fairway finder, swinging within himself and this get's him in play more to take advantage of his imperious iron play. He can win more majors that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

valoren wrote: »
    The big change in his game is off the tee. He no longer seems to have what was deemed the 'big miss' i.e. that one bloody drive that misses the the planet and is a card wrecker. He now has a fairway finder, swinging within himself and this get's him in play more to take advantage of his imperious iron play. He can win more majors that's for sure.

Was delighted to see him keep hitting that baby fade

• Advertisement

Paddy Power giving Tiger a measly, mouldy 5-1 to win 18 or more majors, and 10-1 to win 19 or more.

That's ludicrously low odds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

mike12 wrote: »
    Think he will contend in the master's and Open not sure if he will win any more.
    Not sure I have seen anyone win the Master's shooting 70 the last day so it did fall in his lap a bit.
    A Open in tough conditions where he can plot his way around might be his best chance.

So birdieing 13, 15 and 16 on the back 9 at Augusta on Sunday, being 3 under for the last 6, when part of one of the tightest leaderboards in Masters history is having it fall into your lap?

I've never read so much rubbish in my life.

Have some people on here never watched golf before or what?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What Woods has achieved is remarkable without doubt.

Having said that I can't see him beating Jack's record, and I hope he doesn't tbh. I think he's not a good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

if he is going to do it, he would want to win another this year
    then its just 2 (3?) more,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

NDWC wrote: »
    So birdieing 13, 15 and 16 on the back 9 at Augusta on Sunday, being 3 under for the last 6, when part of one of the tightest leaderboards in Masters history is having it fall into your lap?

I've never read so much rubbish in my life.

Have some people on here never watched golf before or what?

I think that's a crazy post.

Yes some of the posters have watched loads of golf.

Tiger gained or was equal with his 3 key rivals shooting a 70 .

But to pick up more majors he will face far tougher scoring from a larger field of top players.

To win another one will take something even more remarkable on probably more tougher course set ups.

Even the way Tiger played last would be enough to lose many majors.

I genuinely can't see it. But again it's ok to view a sport in a certain way.

People talking about tiger getting 19 majors is complete crazy talk . But I'll read their views .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

39% of golf fans started watching golf yesterday at 6pm gmt. Interesting fact of the day.

Seriously like? 2008 was 75. 2009 was 71. 2013 69 and 70 made the playoff. 2015 was 70. 2018 was 71. Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its kind of interesting, when rory and speith and all these guys came on the scene they are going to dominate for years but they seem to have gone backwards. I know its an over simplification but it seemed like this years masters was an 'easy' one to win as a lot of the contenders fell away..

valoren wrote: »
    The big change in his game is off the tee. He no longer seems to have what was deemed the 'big miss' i.e. that one bloody drive that misses the planet and is a card wrecker. He now has a fairway finder, swinging within himself and this get's him in play more to take advantage of his imperious iron play. He can win more majors that's for sure.
    He was 56th in driving accuracy at Augusta. Missed 20 fairways or thereabouts. Now they weren't all bad misses, some in the first cut and others just off and into the pine straw. But there were quite a few where it badly affected his second shot. Like on the 18th on Sunday where he had a big miss and bogeyed the hole. Luckily he had two sh9ots to spare, but that was one of them. On the bigger hitting courses, that sort of accuracy could put him out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I hope so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He was 56th in driving accuracy at Augusta. Missed 20 fairways or thereabouts. Now they weren't all bad misses, some in the first cut and others just off and into the pine straw. But there were quite a few where it badly affected his second shot. Like on the 18th on Sunday where he had a big miss and bogeyed the hole. Luckily he had two sh9ots to spare, but that was one of them. On the bigger hitting courses, that sort of accuracy could put him out of the running.

Interesting stat. I'm sure his injuries are still at him - but medical tech has come a long way hence his win yesterday - there is still a lot of potential there. It's gonna be interesting to see how far he will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Patrick Reed shot 71 last year.
    He did enough. Took 5 on the last because he knew he could. Without that cushion, maybe he's more aggressive with his second shot and shoots 68/69.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Absolutely, he was not going to get a deal lie in those bunkers to the left and leave himself no shot, he played his second out right and short where there was no trouble, he was there to win, not birdie/par the last, even his chip on was ultra conservative, right between the bunkers and not at the flag

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

GreeBo wrote: »
    backspin. wrote: »
    He wasn't a million miles away at the British Open. 4 more is a big ask true, but i think he has more in him.

Or the US Open.

It was the US PGA.

He was close to winning the last three Majors...

Should have won the Open, pushed hard and finished 2nd in the US PGA, won the Tour Championship in style, and won the Masters in style.

It’s been phenomenal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

Yeah, who did Woods beat? Only the on-off World No 1 Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, and 5/5 Ryder Cupper and Open Champion Molinari.

It was a class leaderboard, not to mention the others who weren’t good enough that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

prawnsambo wrote: »

I think that the Masters is the major that Tiger has the best chance of winning. Augusta is very forgiving with wide fairways and very benign rough. The greens are its main defence and that suits Tiger. The other majors are played on courses that are set up much more exacting off the tee although he might have a squeak at the British Open if it's played during a dry spell like last year when the rough is sparse.
    Although Tiger held his head better than his challengers yesterday, he also got away with it a few times with wild tee shots. You don't get that lucky every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Personally I think the only thing that will stop him getting 19 is himself-as in his appetite, his head and his body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

The round of the day yesterday was -5? Compared to Saturday it was a low scoring day. The conditions were difficult. He was 3 under going down the last and just went for bogey because he knew he had a two shot cushion. He was surrounded by top class players and he beat them. It was very impressive. Majors are very hard to win, I think he'll win 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Paddy Power giving Tiger a measly, mouldy 5-1 to win 18 or more majors, and 10-1 to win 19 or more.

That's ludicrously low odds there.

Well 37% of the forum think he will so I guess plenty of people will happily take that bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think that's a crazy post.

People talking about tiger getting 19 majors is complete crazy talk . But I'll read their views .

It's hardly crazy talk. He may do it he may not. He has the ability and experience.

18mts ago it would have been crazy talk to suggest that he would be back in world's top 10 and another Master's title. And yet here we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement