Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a MacBook in the USA

Options
  • 14-04-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I know this must have been asked 100 times but I went back 10 pages and couldn't see anything.

Is there any reason not to buy a MacBook Air in the USA/Canada if I'm over there? My current MBA is coming up on 7 years old and needs replacing. My main machine is a 27" iMac and I need something on the go.

The only reason I can think is that it would be a 2-pin plug.....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If you have an issue with it, it will need to back to the states for warranty repairs, Apple store in Belfast won’t touch it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You’re in the iOS devices forum. Mac forum is https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

1 Year warranty, no consumer protection after that. Be prepared for 23% vat on arrival if stopped by customs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

eeloe wrote: »
    If you have an issue with it, it will need to back to the states for warranty repairs, Apple store in Belfast won’t touch it.

Not correct. Macbooks have a worldwide warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not correct. Macbooks have a worldwide warranty.

Yip. The question is really how much trust the OP has in that keyboard. If it goes wrong after the year, things could get expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

And speaking of keyboards, some of the key placings are slightly different and the enter key is smaller, if such a thing might bother you.

• Advertisement

Yip. The question is really how much trust the OP has in that keyboard. If it goes wrong after the year, things could get expensive.

I have one that I bought in Australia, and the keyboard issue is fixed here nearly 18 months after purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

eeloe wrote: »

Complete horse****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It must just have been my one that they wouldn’t touch because it was bought stateside.

Sorry boys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

SachaJ wrote: »
    I know this must have been asked 100 times but I went back 10 pages and couldn't see anything.

Is there any reason not to buy a MacBook Air in the USA/Canada if I'm over there? My current MBA is coming up on 7 years old and needs replacing. My main machine is a 27" iMac and I need something on the go.

The only reason I can think is that it would be a 2-pin plug.....

Are MacBooks cheaper in the US?

I bought one in China a few years ago (only because I ended up staying for longer than I had intended). I don't remember if they have the same plugs as the US but they use the US keyboard layout. Anyway, Apple sell worldwide charging kits so their laptops are meant to be used on all plug systems but not long after coming home I noticed "Battery Condition: Replace Soon" on mine.

Tech support my battery should have had a lot more life and the fact it was bought abroad is just one possible cause. Plenty of people have no issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Are MacBooks cheaper in the US?

I bought one in China a few years ago (only because I ended up staying for longer than I had intended). I don't remember if they have the same plugs as the US but they use the US keyboard layout. Anyway, Apple sell worldwide charging kits so their laptops are meant to be used on all plug systems but not long after coming home I noticed "Battery Condition: Replace Soon" on mine.

Tech support my battery should have had a lot more life and the fact it was bought abroad is just one possible cause. Plenty of people have no issues though.

Yes much cheaper. I've decided to pause the idea and keep my old MBA in operation. Seems to be many issues with the T2 chip and new keyboards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

All of Apple's devices are happy on 100-240V 50Hz or 60Hz. They will work perfectly on Irish/EU 230V 50Hz or US 120V 60Hz. You just need to either cut the US plug off and fit an Irish one, or buy an Irish mains cable. The power adaptor brick does not need to be replaced.

If you are traveling between Ireland and the US, I'd suggest buying an Irish/UK cord rather than cutting the plug off, as you might want the US one for spare.

It's not advisable to use a US plug with a pin adapter here because the pins are not sheathed and you could expose someone to a serious shock. Irish/UK plugs (sheathed pins) and continental plugs (used with recessed sockets) offer far better safety protection. It's a significant enough deal if you've kids around and grabbing both pins of a 230V circuit will not trip the RCD and could give you quite a nasty shock/burn.

You can also get one of these:

https://powerconnections.co.uk/convert_usjapanchina.htm#acp3

acp3animated.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Anteayer wrote: »
    All of Apple's devices are happy on 100-240V 50Hz or 60Hz. They will work perfectly on Irish/EU 230V 50Hz or US 120V 60Hz. You just need to either cut the US plug off and fit an Irish one, or buy an Irish mains cable. The power adaptor brick does not need to be replaced.

Doesn't the Macbook involve a chunky plug with a clip-on adapter for your local socket pin layout? That cable you show in your post might be the one that comes with a US iMac but the Macbook power lead is a different beast.

What will work in Ireland with a Macbook and which does not require the purchase of an expensive adapter is a power cord with a 'figure of eight' female end, you probably have one lying around from an old VCR or TV. Just slide off the original (e.g. US) plug, plug in your local 'figure of eight' lead and away you go.....

image?pcode=109469

The only downside to that is when you use metal bodied Macs without the earth connection they keep giving you little tingly shocks.

The grounding connection eliminates them completely.

They come with a snap on plug, which isn't grounded (even the Irish version has a ground pin to open the socket but it's not connected) and a longer white power cable which is grounded.

There's a little metal lug on the adaptor which slides into a slot and connects the earth. Standard figure of 8 doesn't connect this.

While it's not dangerous to use the Mac ungrounded, they seem to all have that issue with a trickle of low voltage to the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Anteayer wrote:

The same applies to any laptop

tedpan wrote: »
    The same applies to any laptop

Unfortunately, the weird grounding issue seems to be unique to Apple though. They're the only devices I've ever noticed a tingle from.

Ireland's at least always has solidly grounded sockets, but if you use the snap on plug or a 2 pin figure of 8, you'll get the tingle.

You'd really wonder why we needed to maintain so many incompatible versions of 230V plugs.

They all do more or less exactly the same, very simply, job. They're all fairly safe, if very old and clunky designs, when used as intended, with modern wiring.

The vast majority of Europe is harmonized (except UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Malta, Italy, Denmark & Switzerland).

At least all the countries using 110V just had the same US style plugs.

It's one thing that should have been modernised and standardised decades ago.

Advertisement