Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Theres a picture showing a good roof, downpipes and good enough windows, maybe that's the other mill he lived in with his parents?

Looks too good to be same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm not too sure that first picture is the same mill....it looks in too good condition to what was shown with the ivy covering it etc.

I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Have a look at the website: Buildings of Ireland.

That photo posted above is of the parent's mill which is approx 400m south east of the building featured in the programme.

The mill isn't even recorded on the website which is strange considering they detail everything from gerogian houses to ring forts etc.

I'd imagine that the original windows in the young couple's mill were very similar to the mill featured in the photo above. Baffles me why people try to reinvent the wheel when the solution is literally in yer man's home place across the field.

Sounds like some of of the proceeds came from the sale of Kelly's house and 'savings' although having lived at home for the past 2 years myself I'm not sure that would be significant when you're spending the guts of €500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks for that - I missed the start of the programme, didn't know the parents lived in a mill as well.

To be fair you'd probably save €2k a month between them with no bills, rent and less going out during lockdowns, so there could be €50k there.

Even on the PUP @€350 each they could survive away on €400 each per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Ya that's the kind of money I'm talking about. But €50k is quickly swallowed up when you're decking out a house. They had say €400k of a mortgage. I'm guessing it took €550k to finish the house to what we saw at the end of the episode.

The pannelling alone in that corridor was €2k. You're talking about flooring for a huge area. Even if you go cheap it still costs a bomb. I think they said there was 38 windows. Huge costs involved. €50k ain't much like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

43 windows in total so the glazing alone probably ran to about 35k-40k and thats not including the builder having to repair all the cills so the windows would fit in. That alone was a big job to repair 43 cills.

Id say given the parents live in a mill themselves and owned this derelict one too that they come from a merchant family and have a few quid behind them and helped the young couple out financially. Either that or they picked up the derelict mill for next to nothing during the crash, there was buildings like that selling for cheap back then, I remember a small castle in the midlands going for 120k at auction circa 2013.

Windows €50k, roof including removing the old and scaffolding about €100k.

Keep going and going after that.

Wasn't a shortage of money when they can splash €2k on panelling near the end either.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

I'm looking at Instagram and a lot of the companies are getting shout outs so wonder was there some kind of discount in return for the advertising. The panelling supplier, floor supplier, doors, windows, carpenter all getting mentions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm pretty certain she said it would be nice for the lil one to grow up where her granddad lived...so I think in the family for generations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She did take the advice in changing the master bedroom into a sitting room to be fair and she took the builder's advise to finish the third floor.

She never really gave the impression she'd go with Hugh's suggestion for the windows which was a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow they got some house in the end!! Thought at the beginning they had bitten off more than they could chew but it came together. It's great to see young people taking on such ambitious projects. I will say it really was all her - he didn't see to have much interest or opinion on it. They must have had some amount of financial savings and help for it - the two of them in industries which were heavily and repeatedly impacted by covid restrictions yet it didn't seem to stop them financially, even when their mortgage was pulled. Himself here spotted a fancy jeep in the driveway when showing the house at the end so they've a few bob. No expense spared decking out the place with that kitchen. Their builder was just fantastic when faced with a project like this and he was right to advise them to get the top floor done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Her parents proudly mentioned her being wise with money. Fair play to them. A great accomplishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The fire safety requirements in a residential building aren't as onerous as a public building. There'd be no need for AOVs. Walls and doors would just have to be fire rated, bedroom windows being suitable for secondary means of escape, things like that. It wouldn't have cost that much extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The husband had no interest in the whole thing whatsoever.....like.....none.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got the feeling the windows were what they could afford rather than chosen as their favourite option (my money says they'd have gone for cream sash if they could have afforded to). A missed opportunity to glaze the circle in the eaves above the door (again, probably budget) but all in, I think they did a fantastic job on the place.

The shots of the "finished" house were anything but imo. The builders may be finished but I'd say that lad will be getting handy with the polyfilla and painting over the next year or two! There were still nail holes clearly visible in a lot of the door-frames, there was still scaffolding visible on the side and the place seemed sterile due to the amount of white/cream/light grey paint and lack of their personal stuff in the house.

I'd say it was either dressed for the filming or they hadn't fully unpacked yet. Once they've their stuff out, vases of flowers in the deep window recesses etc. I think it'll take a lot of that sterile, celtic tiger hotel look off the place. I'd love to see a re-visit of it when they've had a chance to fully finish it and live in it, added some colour to more of the walls (which may well have only been undercoated at the time of filming). The kitchen was very bland though, real missed opportunity to add a bit of colour and the island was just begging to be done in a contrasting colour.

Far from inconceivable they managed to pay for the work on their own steam when she's clearly the sort whose communion money was invested into the other house she'd sold (and if her timing was good on that, she could easily have made a couple of 100k after clearing that mortgage, Dunleer is within commutable distance of Dublin and there's plenty of IT/Fintech work in Drogheda). The good fortune was in having the ruin on family land that parents were happy to gift them.

Post edited by Sleepy on

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Fair play to them for taking on such a bit project, Great result in the end. I understand this is a show on house renovations etc, but finance is such a massive part of it! From a previous comment here it seems they had good jobs. If they got money from the family or inheritance, fair play to them, and that's their business. But also the fact that it was mentioned at the end, that the mortgage was less than the mortgage of a 3 bedroom house brought the finance aspect back into it. Details were sketchy, builder's finish was 350k, but did this include the top floor etc... there was a lot more pumped into the house after that... during the show there was also comments that money will go into the house rather than a super king bed... as someone else says here collabs can be done but that still have benefit in kind tax (over 3000) associated with it.

All I'm saying there can be people watching and wondering what they are doing wrong! so either be transparent with total costs or leave the money aspect out completely.

I like the finished house, when it becomes more lived in it might not look like a high end hotel

Looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not a very interesting one this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

What's going on here. Are they moved in or not? Are these rooms staged for the programme with loaned furniture and art?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lovely people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

All the best to them, they've worked hard for what they've got

I’d love to renovate a set of buildings like that.

Think covid really affected filming and it really showed in that episode.

A lot more relatable than last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

reminds me of moving into my own house in 2002 ,bare concrete walls, bare plaster for years. hope it works out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Thought that was a great episode. Lovely couple, down to earth, had a lot of setbacks with Covid lockdowns etc, but it didn’t phase them too much.

I thought their budget was ambitious/naive but they seem very sensible, doing what they can afford. Loved the idea of using old scaffolding boards as a mantle!

I can understand why the locals would be happy. Nothing worse / uglier than an old building being left to disintegrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Felt like it was staged alright so they'd have something to show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Pity about the location regarding a cafe/tearoom business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looking at the fridge om some planks don't think so. can't believe you haven't moved into a house that has a bathroom,bedroom and kitchen because that's a you can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

It is a very out if the way location as you say. Drove through it once because of an interest in a protestant majority village, south of the border. Mistakenly thought it was just off the road to a friends house in Monaghan but ended up getting lost and having to Google map it well off any main roads.

That said, if it's good enough, people will come. Thinking of the like of Nevin Maguire in Blacklion, Cavan, where you'd think a successful restaurant should never exist.

They seem like a lovely couple so wish them all the best in their endeavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Deeec

Last night's show was a good project. We need to see more buildings like this in towns and villages restored.

The house last night is still very much a work in progress. It would be great if Hugh could revisit it in 2 years to see how it's going. It's a big project!

Advertisement