Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D15 Local Election Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Remind me wrote: »
    Presume party affiliated candidates have their posters and leaflets etc... paid by HQ?

They would get a contribution but a lot of the costs would be paid by the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

They would get a contribution but a lot of the costs would be paid by the candidate.

Really?

So Edward McManus is paying out for the ridiculous amount of posters he has up? Howard Mahoney the same?

It’s about €5 a poster I thought, McManus has hundreds, if not into the lowers thousand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

There is absolutely no way first time runners for large parties are paying anything themselves!! Where are you getting that information from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

oLoonatic wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way first time runners for large parties are paying anything themselves!! Where are you getting that information from.

Majority of party people will have that covered as the seats are strategically important.

If you were say, Jack Chamers, you then have Freddie Cooper covering your arse in Blanch, Tom Kitt covering your arse in Ongar Hartstown and Howard Mahoney covering your arse in Castleknock, with the T.D covering the higher levels stuff. This also applies to FG, Solidarity, Labour and now the Greens.

If you are independent, you are covering it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I wonder if you didn't get elected would the party then look for the money to be repaid... or if you were to leave the party having not been elected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Really?

So Edward McManus is paying out for the ridiculous amount of posters he has up? Howard Mahoney the same?

It’s about €5 a poster I thought, McManus has hundreds, if not into the lowers thousand

Yep.

I suppose a different question is; where would Aontu get the money for all these posters? They've only existed a wet week, they must have hardly any members, it's not like they're a party that would attract huge corporate donations. If McManus didn't front the cash himself, where did it come from?

Re: Mahony, I don't know. You would expect FF to pay some of it alright, but then why didn't Mags Murray have any? Literally zero, and the FF guys in Ongar and Mulhuddart didn't have half the number that Mahony did.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They're an anti-abortion republican party, I can imagine they are being funded by the usual suspects.

Yep.

I suppose a different question is; where would Aontu get the money for all these posters? They've only existed a wet week, they must have hardly any members, it's not like they're a party that would attract huge corporate donations. If McManus didn't front the cash himself, where did it come from?

Re: Mahony, I don't know. You would expect FF to pay some of it alright, but then why didn't Mags Murray have any? Literally zero, and the FF guys in Ongar and Mulhuddart didn't have half the number that Mahony did.

Mahony is/was a councillor 12 year ago, lost his seat at the time. Ex Garda and a Chambers loyalist. That loyalty was poorly paid back because there was very little support on the canvass from the people who helped chambers. No surprise really because the same behaviour occured in the previous by-election.

Yep.

Mags Murray didn’t canvass full stop, don’t mind posters!

Mags Murray didn’t canvass full stop, don’t mind posters!

True but not a Chambers lotalist. If one or two people did not run she would have been elected by default. Its mental.

• Advertisement

Mahony is/was a councillor 12 year ago, lost his seat at the time. Ex Garda and a Chambers loyalist. That loyalty was poorly paid back because there was very little support on the canvass from the people who helped chambers. No surprise really because the same behaviour occured in the previous by-election.

Saw Chambers around the area quite a bit over the last couple of weeks leading up to Friday. Coolmine station last week being the most recent.

True but not a Chambers lotalist. If one or two people did not run she would have been elected by default. Its mental.

Yeap, just having a party behind you goes a long way to being elected in locals regardless of how little you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeap, just having a party behind you goes a long way to being elected in locals regardless of how little you do.

If the Greens had run a candidate in Mulhuddart for example, you could see them grabbing a seat on the basis that they basically won everywhere they ran with a few specific examples in highly sown up wards of missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Saw Chambers around the area quite a bit over the last couple of weeks leading up to Friday. Coolmine station last week being the most recent.

He was out with Freddie Cooper in Waterville on the Wednesday.

Have heard locally that Mags Murray hasn't been well, not sure why she didn't withdraw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Tania Doyle (Ind) - did superbly. great campaign and very engaging and colourful. The oposite of Matt Waine and there is a historic fall out there.

Curious to know what the history is here, can you elaborate?

Curious to know what the history is here, can you elaborate?

Other than a split I think its better not to elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nijmegen wrote: »
    If the Greens had run a candidate in Mulhuddart for example, you could see them grabbing a seat on the basis that they basically won everywhere they ran with a few specific examples in highly sown up wards of missing out.

At the very least it would have tested the votes ahead of a general election.

blanch152 wrote: »
    At the very least it would have tested the votes ahead of a general election.

You can be sure someone will see an opportunity and jump in to go at it in five years time, but will the green surge die before then?

You can be sure someone will see an opportunity and jump in to go at it in five years time, but will the green surge die before then?

Thats why leo has already started on about listening to the people after the greens did well in the locals. its the hot topic that they will angle in the next GE, with more money and backing than the greens!

From Mags Murray.

https://www.facebook.com/CllrMagsMurray

"I have been working since 1979 (40 years), reared a family, and serving my community since 1986 (33 years). But this morning I am applying for Jobseeker's Allowance. I would like to thank Jack Chambers, who's never had a job, for this very special privilege."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

From Mags Murray.

"I have been working since 1979 (40 years), reared a family, and serving my community since 1986 (33 years). But this morning I am applying for Jobseeker's Allowance. I would like to thank Jack Chambers, who's never had a job, for this very special privilege."

I've no idea what this is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

From Mags Murray.

WOW! Did she delete the post or is it friends only?

Caranica wrote: »
    WOW! Did she delete the post or is it friends only?

Looks like she deleted it, but it was public rather friends.

Is a screenshot of it allowed here?

Looks like she deleted it, but it was public rather friends.

Is a screenshot of it allowed here?

It was a public post, i don't see why not.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    It was a public post, i don't see why not.

I'll wait a MOD to give it the go ahead before doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If she was only earning the Councillor salary, she would probably have been on some form of welfare schemes already. Its only 17k.

And if she considers being a Councillor to be a job, she's rather (OK, severely) disingenuous not considering being a TD to be a job too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

From Mags Murray.

I think it's a bit conniving of her to blame Jack Chambers for her not retaining a seat on the council. She didn't put up posters, send out leaflets or canvas and thought she'd win her seat on the fact that people 'know her' from her work on the council. Well they obviously didn't know her that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well the entitled wagon anyway. Nobody owes you a living Margaret.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

There's obviously a lot of internal party wrangling (not that uncommon) behind this. Maybe the reason she didn't have a poster up was because local party funds were withheld for example.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    There's obviously a lot of internal party wrangling (not that uncommon) behind this. Maybe the reason she didn't have a poster up was because local party funds were withheld for example.

Possible alright. FF have lost a councillor seat in Castleknock as they had two and nearly had three last time out. The FF vote in Mulhuddart and Ongar was very poor compared to previous times. Add it all up and Chambers may have a challenge on his hands in the GE if the Greens and FG do well.

Advertisement