Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D15 Local Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart seems to have a real dearth of good election candidates. Mary McCamley would be the only one I'd vote for there, it's pretty much far lefties there.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Might run myself next time...

Seems like a pretty easy spot to get elected. All you have to do is promise the earth and the moon and absolve your electorate of all personal responsibility, and you'll be certain of one of the seats that the likes of Solidarity will probably get this time. It's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hurrache wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty easy spot to get elected. All you have to do is promise the earth and the moon and absolve your electorate of all personal responsibility, and you'll be certain of one of the seats that the likes of Solidarity will probably get this time. It's depressing.

And 5 seats to fill!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

I am going with the Aontu Candidate. They are a party with integrity not like the others who blow what ever way the wind is blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Fuseman wrote: »
    I am going with the Aontu Candidate. They are a party with integrity not like the others who blow what ever way the wind is blowing.

As a woman I most definitely won't! Dublin West voted to repeal the 8th with over 74% of votes cast being yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

WTF?

They have been around a couple of months.

If you are talking about 1 of their beliefs it won’t get them too far in Dublin west.

As long as you're not a woman who wants to make certain choices, then yes, they've got great integrity.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I saw Aontú posters on Hartstown Road this evening, so it looks like they're running a candidate in Ongar. Hopefully when the votes are counted he struggles to get into double figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

The candidate in Ongar has front and center on many good initiatives in the area. He’s also a special Olympic swimming coach. He is not like the rest. He doesn’t just turn up for photo opportunities like the rest. And don’t just pigeon hole the whole party on one issue. There is a lot more to Aontu.

• Advertisement

If he's a member of Aontu, then he's probably worse than the rest.

Does Sinéad Moore live in the constituency she's running in? If so, it hasn't been for very long as she was a green candidate in Laois last time out.

The candidate in Ongar has front and center on many good initiatives in the area. He’s also a special Olympic swimming coach. He is not like the rest. He doesn’t just turn up for photo opportunities like the rest. And don’t just pigeon hole the whole party on one issue. There is a lot more to Aontu.

It's hard not to pigeon hole a party on one issue when they were founded on the back of their founder's stance on that one issue. However even without that, Toibín's SF past is enough for me not to vote for them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If he's a member of Aontu, then he's probably worse than the rest.

Does Sinéad Moore live in the constituency she's running in? If so, it hasn't been for very long as she was a green candidate in Laois last time out.

She does and has done for a good number of years, don't know how many exactly.

2, 3 at the most as she ran in Laois in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

2, 3 at the most as she ran in Laois in 2016.

No, has lived here for considerably longer. Seems she ran in Laois (where she's originally from) while living in Dublin. I've seen her around Castlecurragh for years.

https://www.thejournal.ie/laois-profile-2606051-Feb2016/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Zaph wrote: »
    I saw Aontú posters on Hartstown Road this evening, so it looks like they're running a candidate in Ongar. Hopefully when the votes are counted he struggles to get into double figures.

I doubt the 'lets have a debate about immigration' will go over too well in D15.

I doubt the 'lets have a debate about immigration' will go over too well in D15.

Well anyone standing on that platform in the area is definitely on a hiding to nothing, especially as all the "bloody foreigners" are eligible to vote in local elections.

No, has lived here for considerably longer. Seems she ran in Laois (where she's originally from) while living in Dublin. I've seen her around Castlecurragh for years.

https://www.thejournal.ie/laois-profile-2606051-Feb2016/

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Have created a public twitter list for the 6 out of 11 candidates for Ongar for which I could find a twitter account. I like to keep track of what candidates are saying there.
    https://twitter.com/davegillen/lists/ongarle2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe this needs a separate Ongar thread as it's very Ongar specific.

Just a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I wish I could vote for them all.
    But think I give my number one to a non national very underrepresented on fingal county council.

beauf wrote: »

Just a suggestion.

We generally do OK with a single thread for elections, even local ones, so I think it'll be fine and there'll be discussion about the other two LEAs in due course, but we can keep an eye on it. I also think that a lot of local issues affect all three LEAs, so it might get confusing having the same discussion on multiple threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

beauf wrote: »

Just a suggestion.

Well if people from the two other LEAs want to do similar, and post them here, then maybe Zaph could update the post on page 1 listing the candidates with links to all three.....just a suggestion.

The only candidate I actually know running is the solidarity one. I'm in mulhuddart lea. I only know him through the repeal campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 TommyBrophy

I'm voting for Aontu as well. I like their policies and the people they have running are decent people. There is no way I'd vote for Matt Waine. What has he ever done in Ongar? I see Rita Harrold has posters up all over the place. Where is she running? Again, she is just another mouthpiece for the far left. We need decent people in politics and Aontu are the only party with those traits

LorelaiG wrote: »
    The only candidate I actually know running is the solidarity one. I'm in mulhuddart lea. I only know him through the repeal campaign.

Voting based on one item?? Narrow minded to say the least

Ironic.

I, and many others, certainly won't be voting for your party, based on one item. It's not us that are narrow minded.

What's your political background?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I'll be voting aontu the only party with the courage to take a conservative stance on abortion,
    Rte and politicians bullied the Irish people into voting yes.
    Abortion results in the death of a child yet it's been celebrated like it's s good thing.

Ironic.

I, and many others, certainly won't be voting for your party, based on one item. It's not us that are narrow minded.

What's your political background?

I am not affiliated with any party

• Advertisement

I'm not actually sure I revealed who I was voting for? I was merely stating which of the candidates I actually had a clue about. I've genuinely never heard of any of the others.

Advertisement