Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication from eir re. eircom.net email accounts.

Options
  • 14-04-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I received an email from eir in early March advising that, as my email account (eircom.net) was inactive for 2 years, that it would be deleted in 60 days unless it was accessed etc. etc. Again, today, I received a similar email advising same but that it would be deleted in 30 days. On receipt of first notification, I contacted eir to confirm that it was a valid email from eir etc. etc. The particular email account is used on a regular basis, one or two emails per week, accessed via Outlook. Additionally, following on first notification, I accessed the account via the webmail and sent one or two emails, thinking that this would sort the problem. It has proved impossible to contact eir to clarify this matter.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue or has anyone else experienced similar email from eir?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do these e-mails contain a link which supposedly will take you to the eir logon screen? If you hover your mouse pointer over such a link but do not click it, you will usually see (in the status bar at the bottom of your screen) that it is pointing to somewhere other than eir.net

What they're trying to do is get you to go to a sham website and get your eir userid and password.

Fake 'your account is about to be suspended' e-mails go out by the million every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

coylemj wrote: »
    Do these e-mails contain a link which supposedly will take you to the eir logon screen? If you hover your mouse pointer over such a link but do not click it, you will usually see (in the status bar at the bottom of your screen) that it is pointing to somewhere other than eir.net

What they're trying to do is get you to go to a sham website and get your eir userid and password.

Fake 'your account is about to be suspended' e-mails go out by the million every day.

Thank you for your response coylemj - This was my first reaction, but no, there is no link included to link to the eir logon screen and I did establish with Eir that it was a legitimate email - the support person could only suggest sending some emails from the account, which I did, both via Outlook and eir webmail. You are invited to chat with a rep. on eir.ie in the event that you have any queries, but this has proved impossible to-date, in the event that a connection is made, an account number is requested etc. etc. In this case, I do not have an eircom account or an eircom landline, thus it is impossible to get it resolved.

From your original post ....
    Maidhci wrote: »
    It has proved impossible to contact eir to clarify this matter.

and your second post .....
    I did establish with Eir that it was a legitimate email - the support person could only suggest sending some emails from the account, which I did, both via Outlook and eir webmail.

Don't expect any more posts from me in this thread.

From your original post ....

and your second post .....

Don't expect any more posts from me in this thread.

Not sure what to make of your response - you actually have the sequence in reverse or you did not read the two posts!

In my first post I stated that I contacted eir to confirm that it was a legitimate email, which they did. On that call the support person suggested to chat online with a representative to clarify the matter and to have it resolved. This is what has proved impossible, as stated in my post, if you care to read it.

It's perfectly fine with me if you don't wish to respond, but please do not misrepresent the situation.

In my first post I stated that I contacted eir to confirm that it was a legitimate email, which they did.

Hang on, that 'which they did' is a late postscript and is why I have a problem with your first post. In which you never mentioned that you got any response from eir, just that....
    It has proved impossible to contact eir to clarify this matter.

Next time, try to include all pertinent information from the start.

• Advertisement

Hang on, that 'which they did' is a late postscript and is why I have a problem with your first post. In which you never mentioned that you got any response from eir, just that....

Next time, try to include all pertinent information from the start.

Let's not get involved in semantics - I contacted eir to confirm that it was a legitimate email - that is a simple enough statement. Obviously, if I hadn't had a response at that stage, I would not have used the verb confirm. I added the unnecessary 'which they did' for your benefit, in my last post, knowing that you had some difficulty or were misunderstanding the confirmation part of the sentence. Give it a rest, but thanks for you initial response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I have an Eir email as well but haven't had an email re termination of address, I access it through Eir webmail, I have lots of useless notifications coming to it e.g. boards notifications, voucher sign ups, etc. so it appears to be in use on a daily basis, maybe sign up to some sites using this address if you want to maintain it

Advertisement