Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge

Options
  • 15-04-2019 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all
    Im thinking of sowing an evergreen hedge around the garden. Its about 120 yards in total. I had a griselinia hedge there but the frost killed it a no of years ago. There is a block wall on part of it and wire mesh fencing on the rest of it. Thinking of laurel but it may be to vigorous, I want to keep it at about 4 or 5 ft high. Any ideas please
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Lots of possibilities but some of the evergreen hedges I like would include, photinia red robin, viburnum tinus, olearia, pyrachantha and privet.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Is Laurel half Hardy?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I sowed eleagnus (x ebbengei) and viburnum (tinus) a couple of years ago and of the two the viburnum looks more attractive, at least in their current juvenile stages.

Judging by the photos I see online viburnum tends to be grown as a more informal hedge, but I have also seen it clipped neatly.

Lots of other choices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Look at beech , not evergreen but the leaves do stay on over winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2 B00536518

hello lads,

just new to this,

lads you will pick up really high quality 2 litre potted privets, laurels etc for 2.50-3 euro,

as i said in privious post i had a friend who was pricing hedge for heep of properties that he owns, was getting some mental prices of 6-7 euro for laurels, privets, portuguese laurel etc

picked up heep of different ones for around 2.50 each./two litre potted, roughly 2 foot bushy stuff

the guy delivered them too

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement