Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options
  • 15-04-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Elections coming up in May, wondering what does Limerick City & County need and what do people need that local authorities can effect? Which candidates are running that will be progressive and be a good addition to the Council?

*note* i am not a candidate and dont know any candidates personally

What are the main Issues you are concerned about, that will influence how you vote? 73 votes

Housing
    56% 41 votes
    Public Transport
    9% 7 votes
    Crime
    8% 6 votes
    Cycling Infrastructure
    5% 4 votes
    Climate Change & Environmental issues
    2% 2 votes
    Mental Health Support
    5% 4 votes
    Improve Local amenities
    1% 1 vote
    Jobs
    10% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I need candidates to stop sticking flyers in my ****ing gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

dashoonage wrote: »
    I need candidates to stop sticking flyers in my ****ing gate.

flyers are a waste of time imo, The Leader are doing a meet the candidates section though which is more informative.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/section/960/elections-2019

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It doesn't matter who the candidates are. The councillors have no power. The unelected manager is the one with all the executive power.

The plebicide for a directly elected mayor, with executive powers who is answerable to the public is IMO more important than who's sitting on the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

damowill wrote: »
    Elections coming up in May, wondering what does Limerick City & County need and what do people need that local authorities can effect? Which candidates are running that will be progressive and be a good addition to the Council?

Not in my area but I hope to see Brian Leddin and Elisa O’Donovan get seats. They haven’t just appeared from the woodwork for this and I believe their intentions are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does anyone know if such a thing exists where you can type your address into a search or something and see which local election constituency you are in?

All I have been able to find is some slightly ambiguous maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if such a thing exists where you can type your address into a search or something and see which local election constituency you are in?

All I have been able to find is some slightly ambiguous maps.

This PDF map is accurate afaik. The red lines denote ward boundaries while the different colours denote areas for polling stations.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/your-council/voting-and-elections/maps

Map: https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2019-04/Map-Metropolitan-Area-09-04-2019.pdf

Not in my area but I hope to see Brian Leddin and Elisa O’Donovan get seats. They haven’t just appeared from the woodwork for this and I believe their intentions are good.

From what I know of Elisa and Brian, they are very progressive minded with a vision for Limerick. They both care about the city and know where the cities flaws are, and both have ideas on how to fix & implement them. Anne Cronin, Sean Hartigan, Breandán MacGabhann and James Collins have different ideas but i'd like to see get in, as each would bring a fresh approach.

This PDF map is accurate afaik. The red lines denote ward boundaries while the different colours denote areas for polling stations.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/your-council/voting-and-elections/maps

Map: https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2019-04/Map-Metropolitan-Area-09-04-2019.pdf

It looks like I'm in the City North area but it's quite difficult to track where the boundary lines go, particularly over by Thomond Bridge. I suppose it's possible they could slap more colours and **** onto a single image but they'd be doing well.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It looks like I'm in the City North area but it's quite difficult to track where the boundary lines go, particularly over by Thomond Bridge. I suppose it's possible they could slap more colours and **** onto a single image but they'd be doing well.

If you are anywhere near Thomond bridge then you are in Limerick North.

Limerick Norths boundaries would be Shannon bridge, Sarsfield bridge, Mathew bridge, Clare st, Dublin road and rhebogue road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't live in any of the areas, but am interested in seeing what the result will be in Limerick City West, given that FG picked the twenty year old Daniel McSweeney instead of Fergus Kilcoyne, the latter being slightly miffed, and then deciding to stand as an Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

damowill wrote: »

I'll tell you what Limerick doesn't need. A full time "directly elected" mayor pulling in 100k a year and another 50k a year in expenses with 20 or 30 of his/her mates on "staff" earning 60k+ a year and all doing nothing because the important decisions will still be made in Dublin for Dublin.

The unelected manager is the one with all the executive power.

The plebicide for a directly elected mayor, with executive powers who is answerable to the public is IMO more important than who's sitting on the council.

Will the role of CEO/manager be defunct if the referendum is passed, and then be replaced by the directly elected mayor? There is a lot of talk about the mayors salary but i'm sure the CEP gets paid well at the moment anyway. So will the two jobs coexist if it passes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

My greatest concern at a local level is pollution from people burning rubbish and backyard burning.

The candidates from the Social Democrats look good. Haven't noticed anyone else of any interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Both are regular posters in this very forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

I was driving along the Groody road from BMW garage to UL last night and saw posters from Green, Solidarity and Social Dem candidates, I’ll be reporting them to the council and asking for them to be removed.

I was driving along the Groody road from BMW garage to UL last night and saw posters from Green, Solidarity and Social Dem candidates, I’ll be reporting them to the council and asking for them to be removed.

No point. They're allowed from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Same with Condell Road, Salesian's Roundabout and I think on O'Callaghan Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

No point. They're allowed from today.

They were put up hours before midnight. Love to know how it can be reported.
    Such an eyesore and a huge distraction while driving :mad:

kingtut wrote: »
    They were put up hours before midnight. Love to know how it can be reported.
    Such an eyesore and a huge distraction while driving :mad:

Maybe so, but they now don't have to be taken down until a week after the election. They council will not do anything unless they are still up after 31st May.

Maybe so, but they now don't have to be taken down until a week after the election. They council will not do anything unless they are still up after 31st May.

No surprises there. I'm going to struggle to vote for anyone that has no issue flouting the law :(

• Advertisement

I have decided not to vote for anyone who has a poster tied to a lamp post

I have decided not to vote for anyone who has a poster tied to a lamp post

That probably includes all the candidates ....

kingtut wrote: »
    That probably includes all the candidates ....

So be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Where are people at with regard to the directly elected mayor concept? IMO it's a good proposition. Adding an experienced professional with an outside view could only be a good thing. The salary looks a little on the low side to attract CEO level type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Where are people at with regard to the directly elected mayor concept? IMO it's a good proposition. Adding an experienced professional with an outside view could only be a good thing. The salary looks a little on the low side to attract CEO level type of person.

I'm all for it, it moves the functions of the city ceo/manager who is an unelected civil servant and places them in the hands of a person who has to seek the public's mandate every 5 years.

source wrote: »
    I'm all for it, it moves the functions of the city ceo/manager who is an unelected civil servant and places them in the hands of a person who has to seek the public's mandate every 5 years.

Yep agree with this totally. Haven't seen anything to make me think any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

What happens the CEO role then?

Will a directly elected Mayor not just look after his own area during his/her term rather than the city as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What sort of experienced professional? A non party political person? What would be the exact job description of this directly elected mayor? Would this mean the abolition of local councils?
    Think about all of that for a moment and you should quickly realise what a ridiculous proposition it is. The current system of local government is grand - it's just that some elected council members are clowns who should never been elected in the first place and there exists a lack of imagination amongst some of the executive in City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

chicorytip wrote: »
    What sort of experienced professional? A non party political person? What would be the exact job description of this directly elected mayor? Would this mean the abolition of local councils?
    Think about all of that for a moment and you should quickly realise what a ridiculous proposition it is. The current system of local government is grand - it's just that some elected council members are clowns who should never been elected in the first place and there exists a lack of imagination amongst some of the executive in City Hall.

Have you actually read the proposal? Because I have and it clearly states that nobody is looking to abolish councils or any such ridiculous nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

source wrote:
    Have you actually read the proposal? Because I have and it clearly states that nobody is looking to abolish councils or any such ridiculous nonsense.

If you have a publicly elected executive Mayor then what is the point in having an elected council, as presently exists, in addition? What would be it's function? Would the current city manager be made redundant seeing that his function would now be superseded by the holder of this new position? These seem obvious and logical questions to ask.

Advertisement