Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Anybody with concerns over Irish Cement's incineration plans & burning of tyres, should have a look at the work Green Party candidate Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann is doing. i'm just after coming across his side project 'Limerick Air' where he is monitoring the air quality and pollution in Mungret, Raheen, Dooradoyle and indeed the city. He has been analysing the data, not just when and where pollution is occurring, but where it's coming from, and how it's moving. The Council installed some monitors in 2017 and 2018, however Breandán highlighted that these went offline and have stopped working. So he set up his own distributed network and is monitoring it himself.

You can check out his side project on twitter hear:

https://twitter.com/LimerickAir/status/1115047305646956544

https://twitter.com/bamacgabhann

I'm currently watching 'Chernobyl' on tv (great show btw), which was a horrifying man made disaster that killed and harmed so many. While that disaster was on a massive scale, the air that we breath is precious to all of us, to our kids, to our health and to our future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

damowill wrote: »
    Anybody with concerns over Irish Cement's incineration plans & burning of tyres, should have a look at the work Green Party candidate Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann is doing. i'm just after coming across his side project 'Limerick Air' where he is monitoring the air quality and pollution in Mungret, Raheen, Dooradoyle and indeed the city. He has been analysing the data, not just when and where pollution is occurring, but where it's coming from, and how it's moving. The Council installed some monitors in 2017 and 2018, however Breandán highlighted that these went offline and have stopped working. So he set up his own distributed network and is monitoring it himself.

You can check out his side project on twitter hear:

https://twitter.com/LimerickAir/status/1115047305646956544

https://twitter.com/bamacgabhann

I'm currently watching 'Chernobyl' on tv (great show btw), which was a horrifying man made disaster that killed and harmed so many. While that disaster was on a massive scale, the air that we breath is precious to all of us, to our kids, to our health and to our future.
    That’s impressive. Pm2.5 in particular has terrible effects on health and child development. (Pun not intended.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The people handing out leaflets for Fianna Fail must be trained in the ways of the ninja. The sneaky little buggers don't even make any noise when doing a drop and run as they only put the leaflet on the outside of the letter box rather than pushing it through. Either that's their plan to avoid having to talk to you or they were in a hurry to leave St Mary's Park ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭zimmermania

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think the issue of Abortion should "impact" all of our lives - at least those of us not endowed with such a narrow and simplistic mindset as your own.

It has impacted on our lives,that is why we voted to legalise it.

That’s impressive. Pm2.5 in particular has terrible effects on health and child development. (Pun not intended.)

Its very impressive. Fair play to him for doing it off his own back. It's hugely important that this is monitored along with other pollutants. It's extremely harmful but we need our Council to to manage and safeguard over this, and understand it's importance.

I've followed Brendàn on Twitter since he took the 304 and 304a bus journeys from Raheen to City Centre to Castletroy and brought with him a GPS tracker. From the data and observations he analysed the data and was able to identify the pain points of the routes which he the shared on Twitter and to Bus Eireann. Time will tell if BE do anything about it but pressure needs to be put on them by Councillors to provide a better service for Limerick.

• Advertisement

Its very impressive. Fair play to him for doing it off his own back. It's hugely important that this is monitored along with other pollutants. It's extremely harmful but we need our Council to to manage and safeguard over this, and understand it's importance.

I've followed Brendàn on Twitter since he took the 304 and 304a bus journeys from Raheen to City Centre to Castletroy and brought with him a GPS tracker. From the data and observations he analysed the data and was able to identify the pain points of the routes which he the shared on Twitter and to Bus Eireann. Time will tell if BE do anything about it but pressure needs to be put on them by Councillors to provide a better service for Limerick.
    I saw an article about that on the limerick leader site that gave me the impression they had implemented his suggestions, though I could be wrong because it was mainly behind a paywall. Apparently it only ran on time if no-one got on it.

He seems highly practical. That's especially good when the Greens are sometimes portrayed as being impractical by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Green Party? Not one of the candidates mentions the incinerator on their leaflets.
    Thats odd. One would nearly think that one of that green party would be all over this.
    One would nearly think that one of the green party candidates has something to do with a big money contract regarding the building of the incinerator ....ah thats just me thinking aloud.... more to follow.

Green Party? Not one of the candidates mentions the incinerator on their leaflets.
    Thats odd. One would nearly think that one of that green party would be all over this.
    One would nearly think that one of the green party candidates has something to do with a big money contract regarding the building of the incinerator ....ah thats just me thinking aloud.... more to follow.
    Why not ask them their position on it?

Monitoring the air in Mungret and publishing the results is a very positive action, and offers clear information. The air quality is not horrible right now. If they do produce horrible amounts of particulate then the monitor will detect that.

The incinerators replace coal burners. They should operate at such high temperature as to produce much lower emissions than those.

Personally I'd prefer they were forced to relocate or close. Their safety record is not good. It's also alarming that they are not transparent about it. It seemed pretty clear that they dumped a load of dust into the air there a while ago, and they pretended they didn't. And cement factories in general are not the best things to have in residential areas and near schools.

Forced closure or relocation might be unrealistic though. Denying a license for using the new incinerators to burn various types of waste does sound realistic, but it's not clear (to me at least) that they are worse than burning coal, which is what they replace...

But actually a quick Google does show that MacGabhainn has a clear position on it, which is that he opposes it. He states he is researching the topic and will publish his findings. I'm glad to see that as I want to know if schools in the area should be avoided.

https://www.bamacgabhann.ie/

Perhaps you didnt notice the above post, that is showing Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann is actually doing something about the Incinerator, and is making his findings available to the public. He also informed & publicised when the Councils monitors were broken/offline/stopped working (which asks its own questions), which is why he setup his own monitors i believe.

I think all 3 constituencies in the city would benefit from a Green Councillor to represent them on these matters. Limerick has never had a Green on the council afaik.

Breandán also mentions Incinerator on his online leaflet, below.

https://twitter.com/bamacgabhann/status/1127926787156193280?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Green party are anti free speech. The environment is their trogan horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The poll options betray the creators own bias.

Perhaps you didnt notice the above post, that is showing Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann is actually doing something about the Incinerator, and is making his findings available to the public. He also informed & publicised when the Councils monitors were broken/offline/stopped working (which asks its own questions), which is why he setup his own monitors i believe.

I think all 3 constituencies in the city would benefit from a Green Councillor to represent them on these matters. Limerick has never had a Green on the council afaik.

Breandán also mentions Incinerator on his online leaflet, below.

https://twitter.com/bamacgabhann/status/1127926787156193280?s=20

Well i do hope you are out campaigning for him because you will not win many votes posting here.

I am campaigning for another candidate every night and i do not see too many with Brendan when i bump into him (you).BTW i will be giving him (you) a high preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

:pac:

You are hilarious! Anti-free speech :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

damowill wrote:

One of them does not seem to know what city he lives in....

kilburn wrote: »
    One of them does not seem to know what city he lives in....

Thats ridiculous, of course he does...

Mc Love wrote:

You saw the page on his website then I presume which has been covered extensively in this thread

Mc Love wrote: »
    :pac:

You are hilarious! Anti-free speech :D
    It's in the wing nut induction leaflet. If someone gives out about racist comments or harassment then they are anti free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Mc Love wrote: »

All his policies on his website concern local issue in Dublin

Obviously didn't bother to update it after what I presume was a failed election bid in Dublin

Amateur hour stuff from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Do you believe all speech should be free speech?
    i.e. do you believe any speech should be curtailed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Do you believe all speech should be free speech?
    i.e. do you believe any speech should be curtailed?

What do you think Johnny?

• Advertisement

Well i do hope you are out campaigning for him because you will not win many votes posting here.

I am campaigning for another candidate every night and i do not see too many with Brendan when i bump into him (you).BTW i will be giving him (you) a high preference.

Fair play on the campaigning. Perhaps l'll have to get involved myself next time....

On the subject of campaigners, fact checking is worthwhile. A campaigner at the door assured my wife that his candidate was staunchly pro choice, and would certainly support exclusion zones around hospitals etc where anti abortion protests would be prohibited - he's not one of those older brigade of party members who are 'pro life'.

Quick Google shows either his position is severely misrepresented or he is in fact very much 'pro life'.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann is doing great work. And does mention that he is opposed to the incinerator.
    Sean Hartigan and Brian Leddin of the Green Party never even gave it a mention on their leaflets, which is disconcerting to say the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Brian Leddin and the Social Democrats Eliza o Donovan best by a mile
    Mark Carey independent not sure on
    Sorry Brian not in my area but seems very good
    Cathal Mcarthy from Weston seems a genuine guy too

Not sure some of the wannabe politicians are out of touch with what is going on in the areas they are trying to represent.

Really bugs me when the sorry I missed you leaflet comes in the letterbox ah no you are not because you didn't even knock on the door.

Did anyone else get the anti FG leaflet regarding abuse survivors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Talukdar,or "jackie jackie"as we call him will get between 500 and 650 first preference votes on the first count.

What’s his political background?
    He doesn’t come across well just vote for me
    Another guy that I couldn’t stand is Sean Lynch

Not sure some of the wannabe politicians are out of touch with what is going on in the areas they are trying to represent.

Really bugs me when the sorry I missed you leaflet comes in the letterbox ah no you are not because you didn't even knock on the door.

No but was at the parents and all we got was an Elenora Hogan leaflet - are they spamming people now after already calling to the house?

It's a rant at Minister for Justice, Kieran O'Donnell & Maria Byrne saying they FG are the only party abusing abuse survivors and not to vote for them I didn't see who the authors are before I binned it

Some candidates are spamming people with thanks for your courteosy when I called leaflets and where to find me on the ballot paper leaflets

bigpink wrote: »
    Brian Leddin and the Social Democrats Eliza o Donovan best by a mile
    Mark Carey independent not sure on
    Sorry Brian not in my area but seems very good
    Cathal Mcarthy from Weston seems a genuine guy too

I presume you have some reason/evidence for reaching this conclusion.

I thought i noticed a pic of McCarthy with Cathy Synnott on his poorly produced leaflet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Fianna Fail must have ninjas out canvassing for them. Could be sitting ten feet from the front door and you wouldn't hear them doing the drop and run.

Labour need to practice their drop and runs, they didn't knock but pushed the leaflets through the letter box rather than just lifting the front of the letter box and letting them hang outside.

Advertisement