Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭zimmermania

bigpink wrote: »
    What’s his political background?
    He doesn’t come across well just vote for me
    Another guy that I couldn’t stand is Sean Lynch

Well he is a member of FF and that says enough for me,but each to his or her own.

I made a guesstimate of his vote and i reckon i will not be too far out.

But as most of the small fry in the pool are left or at least left of centre,he and FF and FG candidates who require a good number of transfers to get elected will have a long wait .A lot of the early transfers will stay within a tight independent/left gene pool and may well ensure the election of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

I think they are a mostly uninteresting bunch of trough snufflers and idealistic dreamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I think they are a mostly uninteresting bunch of trough snufflers and idealistic dreamers.
    Pretty clear choice so

Pretty clear choice so
    Wasn't going to bother with preferences but I should. Going to rank them according to how unlikely they are to get in, except for the aontu guy. Basically I want to vote against the aontu guy if the Social Democrat doesn't get in.

The absence of a green or labour candidate in cappamore/kilmallock means the Social Dem is the only clear option for a centre left vote here; guess that helps his chances. Any of the independents here at a similar point in the political spectrum...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

What do you think Johnny?

I think most progressive first world countries have limitations in place against hate speech. I don't see where this issue is coming from. It's a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Openside11

Saw this cool link being shared on twitter http://www.limerickcycling.ie/campaigns/le19/

I think most progressive first world countries have limitations in place against hate speech. I don't see where this issue is coming from. It's a bit mad.

How would you feel about laws against misgendering someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Romaine

We received an envelope addressed to a family that haven't lived in our house for a good 25 years. Where do they pull these from?

You'd think whoever works for the mayor of Limerick would have the presence of mind to check the register of electors at least.

How would you feel about laws against misgendering someone?

Does this exist in Ireland?
    Is there a proposal anywhere by any party?

You haven't answered my question above.
    Are you in favour of limits on 'hate speech'?
    I.e. speech which incites harm on others e.g. neo nazis?

Lets assume the answer is 'yes' in line with most developed societies.

So you are in favor of legislation but against legislation overstepping the mark and infringing on freedoms. This is the situation as it exists currently.

You are arguing against a hypothetical situation which doesn't exist. You are arguing against 'compelled speech' which exists in Canada but not here. Do you understand the difference? Are you familiar with the idea of a 'strawman' argument?

Does this exist in Ireland?
    Is there a proposal anywhere by any party?

You haven't answered my question above.
    Are you in favour of limits on 'hate speech'?
    I.e. speech which incites harm on others e.g. neo nazis?

Lets assume the answer is 'yes' in line with most developed societies.

So you are in favor of legislation but against legislation overstepping the mark and infringing on freedoms. This is the situation as it exists currently.

You are arguing against a hypothetical situation which doesn't exist. You are arguing against 'compelled speech' which exists in Canada but not here. Do you understand the difference? Are you familiar with the idea of a 'strawman' argument?

I didn't realise you had a question directed at me Johnny?

You are putting a lot of words in my mouth with that post. Are you mad or something?

• Advertisement

I didn't realise you had a question directed at me Johnny?

You are putting a lot of words in my mouth with that post. Are you mad or something?

Ok are you in favor of limits on hate speech?

Secas to head the poll in Lim East will be a shock to some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why?shea very active on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Any other predictions?

Also, Limerick Leader did a piece with Diarmuid Scully (UL), where he did a predictions of each area. I read the article but did anyone see the actual predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's possible

Collins,Leddin,Butler to be elected very early in Lim West, Leddin will poll very well.Either Lynch or Hogan may struggle as transfers will be hard to get for both after the minnows are eliminated.

My feeling is that the Solidarity candidate NiShimoin will move up from a low starting point and may be in the shake up for the last seat.

ODea to lose out in Lim East and FG CLLR Sheahan will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkWgUwI8JeE

Dolores Cahill is an impressive candidate.

Nice argument between her and Maria Byrne (20 euro for a cup of tea)

damowill wrote: »
    Any other predictions?

Also, Limerick Leader did a piece with Diarmuid Scully (UL), where he did a predictions of each area. I read the article but did anyone see the actual predictions?
    A useless,pompous idiot who was rejected by the voters in his own area and who would not have his finger on the pulse of voters.

Irexit is a bad idea.
    Brexit is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Prof. Cahill told Live95 FM that her party wanted to open the discussion on Ireland leaving the EU. She said Ireland has been a net contributor to the EU since 2014 so Ireland no longer receives money from the EU — "basically we are giving more than we give back."

So she want to get some of that moneys back by donating her MEP salary back to the state. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Thanks for that! Glad I didn't give her a preference. Would have been handy if the Irexit supporting "Independent" candidates had registered their party on time to identify themselves as such, but I think that might have hampered their ability to take in anonymous donations from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone know which candidate had the guards called over breaking rules this morning?

Seems to also be bringing taxi loads of people to polling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Openside11

kilburn wrote: »
    Anyone know which candidate had the guards called over breaking rules this morning?

Heard it was a FF candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

What happened?

He was inside polling station area advising people how to fill in polling card.

My understanding is it's a non national FF candidate who may not understand the rules.

Also apparently has taxi loads of his supporters turning up to vote I believe he owns a few taxis also.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

My understanding is it's a non national FF candidate who may not understand the rules.

Also apparently has taxi loads of his supporters turning up to vote I believe he owns a few taxis also.....

The guy from Bangladesh?Jackie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

bigpink wrote: »
    The guy from Bangladesh?Jackie?

Possibly , not 100% if it was a taxi or just parked up in the taxi rank but when passing the taxi rank on O'Connell by Starbucks there was often vehicles with his name and posters on them.

https://twitter.com/ninety6days/status/1131237339483824129

Is Trina O'Dea anything to Willie or just namesake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Bloody hell that's pretty bad alright, cheers.

What are the rules exactly anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We'll have tallies tomorrow, but counting wont begin until Sunday. The referendum will be counted tomorrow. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/419429/limerick-decides-first-time-ff-candidate-looks-set-to-win-election-as-polls-close.html

Advertisement