Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hard to know, the allegations being made are extremely serious, verging on libellous. I'm surprised boards have kept this thread open.

Honestly, I'd expect the losing candidates to call for a full investigation.

Agree about the accusations. I've yet to read or hear an accurate report of what actually happened. Some are saying he was in the polling center showing people how to vote, while other reports were that he was simply outside canvassing, but within 50m of the polling center.

Others are complaining about the fact that he was still campaigning yesterday, which is allowed as long as its outside the exclusion zone.

Some of the posts have had a strong tang of racism.

Agree about the accusations. I've yet to read or hear an accurate report of what actually happened. Some are saying he was in the polling center showing people how to vote, while other reports were that he was simply outside canvassing, but within 50m of the polling center.

Others are complaining about the fact that he was still campaigning yesterday, which is allowed as long as its outside the exclusion zone.

Absolutely, but we shouldn't be afraid to call out alleged electoral fraud for fear of being called racist either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

banie01 wrote: »
    The SDs are a party with serious issues at National Level.
    The happy clappy populism and new politics are at odds with how they've handled "internal" matters.
    The resignations over Kisyombe are I think only the tip of the iceberg for them.
    I don't know anything about this. Googled it but don't have a full picture of things... Kisyombe was a candidate of theirs who turned out to have been an illegitimate asylum seeker - is that right? Three of their senior members resigned... Why did they resign? How was their internal handling at odds with their public politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

From what I understand it was the party and not the just the 1 candidate.

1 particular candidate was spoken to by the guards and left, later on there were other candidates within the exclusion zone from the same party.

A full investigation needs to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't know anything about this. Googled it but don't have a full picture of things... Kisyombe was a candidate of theirs who turned out to have been an illegitimate asylum seeker - is that right? Three of their senior members resigned... Why did they resign? How was their internal handling at odds with their public politics?

Perhaps those questions are best asked of an SD representative?
    I have my own thoughts on the matter and there is plenty of further detail regarding the Kisyombe matter and its handling available in the public domain.

Senior members resigned, many column inches across Dublin and the National press were devoted to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

washman3 wrote: »
    You don't need to move in, just use the address to register for a vote in the elections. ;)

I say it be better not to vote.

Absolutely, but we shouldn't be afraid to call out alleged electoral fraud for fear of being called racist either.

Oh, without a doubt, but I don't think some of the stuff posted here would have been posted if it was an Irish candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Looks like a very poor election for Sinn Fein locally , Aonta particularly Michael Ryan in limerick city east have taken a lot of the old school republican vote .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Any candidates breaking rules or being underhanded should be called out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If this happened in Kerry with one of the Healy-Rae's it would be ok to criticize their carry on, but it's not ok to criticize this FF candidate because his a minority

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Didn't the leader or post mention that a lot of these new registrations were potentially dodgy. 8 and 9 registrations from a 2 bed apartment for example....

A symptom of the housing crisis perhaps?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If this happened in Kerry with one of the Healy-Rae's it would be ok to criticize their carry on, but it's not ok to criticize this FF candidate because his a minority

Except that's not what I said. None of the allegations are proven. Some reports contradict each other. Until I hear an official account of what actually happened, I'll hold fire on accusations. If he did something illegal then he should be punished, but as of now, he's not under investigation.

Foreign nationals (no such things as non nationals) once resident in Ireland and registered to vote are entitled to vote in local elections.

Nothing dodgy or corrupt about getting his support out. 3000 people were added to the register in Limerick West recently and you can guarantee that he is responsible for most of them They only thing he did wrong was go inside the exclusion zone.

I've heard of Irish politiitions in the past providing transport to get elderly supporters to the polls

Should only be allowed vote if they become citizens

bigpink wrote: »

I don't know, I think people living here should have a say in how the city/their area is run.

However, we have a history of corruption in public office, we need to be very clear it can't be tolerated.

That's not the law. Any resident can vote in local elections. EU citizens can vote in local and Euro elections. UK citizens can vote in general elections. The only votes kept exclusively for Irish citizens are referendums and Presidential elections.

That's not the law. Any resident can vote in local elections. EU citizens can vote in local and Euro elections. UK citizens can vote in general elections. The only votes kept exclusively for Irish citizens are referendums and Presidential elections.

I said it should be the law
    So people here on dodgy work and student visas can vote?
    Or people here illegally can vote?

I said it should be the law
    So people here on dodgy work and student visas can vote?
    Or people here illegally can vote?

You can vote in UK elections if your move there. You can vote in EU elections if you live on the continent. That's how it works.

Of course if you just want to keep Ireland for the Irish, that's your prerogative.

You can vote in UK elections if your move there. You can vote in EU elections if you live on the continent. That's how it works.

Of course if you just want to keep Ireland for the Irish, that's your prerogative.

No but don’t want the voting system abused
    If your a citizen you have a better chance of being interested in your country
    We don’t want to be turning like parts of the Uk either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Except that's not what I said. None of the allegations are proven. Some reports contradict each other. Until I hear an official account of what actually happened, I'll hold fire on accusations. If he did something illegal then he should be punished, but as of now, he's not under investigation.

People are claiming racism because they are calling out alleged wrongdoing. But if it was a white candidate it's ok to call out such allegations. It's a slipperly slope in terms of double standards

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    People are claiming racism because they are calling out alleged wrongdoing. But if it was a white candidate it's ok to call out such allegations. It's a slipperly slope in terms of double standards

When the facts aren't known, I wouldn't call out anyone.

And its not just posts about this incident that are screaming racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Fine Gael look set to win 4 of the 6 seats in Newcastle West . Fine Gael will hardly get that vote in their South Dublin homelands .

Clearly this part of county Limerick is benefiting strongly from the country’s boom ??
    Abbeyfeale certainly doesn’t look as if it’s booming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm out of the country at the moment. Trying to follow results, but all I know is a couple of seats filled in Galway and Jackie Healy Rae has romped home in Kerry. No surprises there.

Anything yet for Limerick? City West in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

City west is Collins, Butler & Leddin

Frankie Daly & Brian Leddin are walking it in city north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I'm out of the country at the moment. Trying to follow results, but all I know is a couple of seats filled in Galway and Jackie Healy Rae has romped home in Kerry. No surprises there.

James Collins
    Daniel butler
    Joe Leddin
    Fergus Kilcoyne
    Abul talkdaer
    Look like the first 5 home .

Look at limerick leader on twitter if you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

I think the incident yesterday at the pollibg station was shocking.

Any candidate that breaks the rules should be disqualified and all votes voided.

Ignorance to the rules is not a valid excuse IMHO. If you believe you are qualifies to stand you should do your research.

I don't care what your background is or where you come from. If elected you stand for the people in your area.

This. If the particular candidate in question gets elected expect objections, legal action and calls for an investigation. Some serious accusations started the surface even before the incidents yesterday and if proven true you'd even expect criminal charges to follow. Nothing proven yet though. An interesting few weeks ahead!
    A symptom of the housing crisis perhaps?
    Bleeding heart post of the year contender that :P

Is he alive now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

YFlyer wrote:
    Is he alive now?

His grandson I think

kilburn wrote: »
    His grandson I think

Ah ok.. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ah ok.. Lol

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/healyrae-sons-to-deny-assault-charges-against-them-37985616.html

The court case was adjourned, and hasn't taken place yet :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Thanks guys. FF and FG again. FFS! Some things never change.

Yes, it's Jackie Healy Rae Jnr, Jackie's grandson. The dynasty goes on.

Advertisement