Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I wouldn't put him anywhere near that figure - doesn't really seem to me like a guy who cares about local issues.

I always felt he would poll well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

osarusan wrote:
    More independents means more people are just concerned with purely local issues? Or just sick of all the parties? Frankie Daly ex-Labour also.

It depends what you expect of your councillor. Daly and Cathal Crowe are the archetypal "pothole" men - decent, hardworking, highly aware of issues in every neighbourhood and with sufficient clout to get these solved. This explains their huge popularity. Do they have a broader "vision" and original ideas that may create a better environment for Limerick in general? The newly elected Greens are already claiming the intellectual high ground in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

chicorytip wrote:
    The newly elected Greens are already claiming the intellectual high ground in this regard.

That's exactly the issue they think they know better than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

chicorytip wrote: »
    It depends what you expect of your councillor. Daly and Cathal Crowe are the archetypal "pothole" men - decent, hardworking, highly aware of issues in every neighbourhood and with sufficient clout to get these solved. This explains their huge popularity. Do they have a broader "vision" and original ideas that may create a better environment for Limerick in general? The newly elected Greens are already claiming the intellectual high ground in this regard.

The mentality of a Green is to improve peoples quality of life, by improving the things that impact on that while also having positive environmental influence. The Green candidates in Limerick certainly have the right education background and experience that can only benefit Limerick. They have a vision and passion to improve Limerick so hopefully they, along with Elisa O.Donovan who I hold in high regard, can influence the Council in a positive way.

Better planning policies, improved public transport, cycling infrastructure and a vibrant liveable city centre are just some goals that can be achieved..

damowill wrote: »
    The mentality of a Green is to improve peoples quality of life, by improving the things that impact on that while also having positive environmental influence. The Green candidates in Limerick certainly have the right education background and experience that can only benefit Limerick. They have a vision and passion to improve Limerick so hopefully they, along with Elisa O.Donovan who I hold in high regard, can influence the Council in a positive way.

Better planning policies, improved public transport, cycling infrastructure and a vibrant liveable city centre are just some goals that can be achieved..

What in your opinion would be "the right education background and experience".

• Advertisement

Very interested to hear the answer to this as one guy had policies for the wrong city on his website which just screams lack of attention to detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I can't speak for Damowill but it's incredibly healthy for our council to have people elected that are not just full time political representatives, TD's secretaries, publicans and small business owners. That we have people elected that have extensive academic and professional experience in varied areas can only be of benefit to the city and county.

The role of Councillors is to form policy for Limerick. I am glad that we finally have people elected that have a decent policy background.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

panda100 wrote: »
    I can't speak for Damowill but it's incredibly healthy for our council to have people elected that are not just full time political representatives, TD's secretaries, publicans and small business owners. That we have people elected that have extensive academic and professional experience in varied areas can only be of benefit to the city and county.

To imply that the other councilors don't have academic or professional experience is pretty ignorant. Can you actually back up this claim?
    The role of Councillors is to form policy for Limerick. I am glad that we finally have people elected that have a decent policy background.

Two things here. Firstly, there are 2 Green councilors on a council of 40 which is dominated by FF and FG. Best of luck getting any policies across without the backing of those two parties.

Secondly, we may have a directly elected mayor running the city from 2021 so all policy will be directed by that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

we are entering an important period for Limerick, with Limerick 2030 plans in the pipeline as well as the Soutside spatial plans. These projects will shape our City's future and its important that we get these projects right, and have people in council that can make informed educated decisions (planning, engineering, environmental, policy making, horticulture). As well as this, climate change is an important issue that needs to be tackled and while we look to the EU and our own government to implement appropriate measures, our own council can certainly put in place local environmental policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

To imply that the other councilors don't have academic or professional experience is pretty ignorant. Can you actually back up this claim?

Two things here. Firstly, there are 2 Green councilors on a council of 40 which is dominated by FF and FG. Best of luck getting any policies across without the backing of those two parties.

Secondly, we may have a directly elected mayor running the city from 2021 so all policy will be directed by that person.

I'm hoping Panda doesn't mean what you and I took her post to mean, if she does then imho it's a pretty ****ty post from a newly elected person to go posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

phog wrote: »
    I'm hoping Panda doesn't mean what you and I took her post to mean, if she does then imho it's a pretty ****ty post from a newly elected person to go posting.

My comprehension skills are on a day off today , who is the newly elected person that is posting ?

Is our newly elected green party boardsie ever going to take his posters down?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

kilburn wrote: »
    Is our newly elected green party boardsie ever going to take his posters down?

Maybe An Taisce can make a complaint against him?????

Maybe An Taisce can make a complaint against him?????

I see what you did there........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

phog wrote: »

Why would anyone bother going into politics? No matter what you say, someone somewhere is going to get offended by it and twist it into some sort of outrage. You can't win at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Why would anyone bother going into politics? No matter what you say, someone somewhere is going to get offended by it and twist it into some sort of outrage. You can't win at all.

Ya even stuff u had posted or written before u went in to politics could come back to bite you/haunt you

damowill wrote: »
    we are entering an important period for Limerick, with Limerick 2030 plans in the pipeline as well as the Soutside spatial plans. These projects will shape our City's future and its important that we get these projects right, and have people in council that can make informed educated decisions (planning, engineering, environmental, policy making, horticulture). As well as this, climate change is an important issue that needs to be tackled and while we look to the EU and our own government to implement appropriate measures, our own council can certainly put in place local environmental policies.

You have not answered the question i asked you.

Could you explain what a decent policy background is? and in your opinion were any of the members elected to the previous council possessed of a "decent policy background"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was sorry to see Marian Hurley lose her seat. Worked really hard for her community

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Gael23 wrote: »
    Was sorry to see Marian Hurley lose her seat. Worked really hard for her community

But not for her electoral area. As a city east resident who lives closer to the city centre, I don’t know anything she has some for us or the city as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well some posts are easier to find offensive than others and in the post that I quoted I thought she overstepped the mark.

Judging by what a few posters are saying we are blessed to have a few well educated newly elected cllrs who can sort out the plebs who are elected by those who do not have the benefit of third level education,a masters and maybe a PHD thrown in.

We need to have our betters at the helm like we had when only those who paid rates could vote in local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This thread is fairly tiresome. Some amount of sour grapes.

Hopefully Brian Leddin puts most of ye into his gulag for transphobes ye were worried about. Presume that's half-built by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Disappointed to see so many of the poles littered with cable ties after the posters have been removed. Shows that most of the candidates don't care about the environment by a) putting up posters and b) not ensuring that whoever they had hired to put / take down the posters would do a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

kingtut wrote: »
    Disappointed to see so many of the poles littered with cable ties after the posters have been removed. Shows that most of the candidates don't care about the environment by a) putting up posters and b) not ensuring that whoever they had hired to put / take down the posters would do a proper job.

I saw a post from Sarah Kiely with a photo of all her posters taken down and all the cable ties in a black bag , on Sunday before the count was even complete .

jonski wrote: »
    I saw a post from Sarah Kiely with a photo of all her posters taken down and all the cable ties in a black bag , on Sunday before the count was even complete .

Fair play to her if they truly did take all their cable ties with them. I'd love if they were forced to have their names on the cable ties (so that they can be identified if left behind - kinda like they have to have the printers details on the posters)

Ya I still see a lot of posters around ballinacurra/ Dooradoyle area when I was passing. How long do they have to take them down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ya I still see a lot of posters around ballinacurra/ Dooradoyle area when I was passing. How long do they have to take them down.

They have to be down by Friday. 1 week after the election.

7 days from polling day (so Friday).

Plenty up around my area also. I plan on taking a pic of a few of them later so I can take another pic when the posters are gone and see if any cable ties remain in place.

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    7 days from polling day (so Friday).

Plenty up around my area also. I plan on taking a pic of a few of them later so I can take another pic when the posters are gone and see if any cable ties remain in place.

From All parties even the Kid who i have phones older than:p:D:D:D

Advertisement