Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

It doesn't matter who the candidates are. The councillors have no power. The unelected manager is the one with all the executive power.

The plebicide for a directly elected mayor, with executive powers who is answerable to the public is IMO more important than who's sitting on the council.

They have a huge say on how much additional local property tax we pay. Every year the LPT automatically returns to the base rate with councillors able to alter the LPT by between 15 per cent of the baseline rate.

Councillors voted 18 to 17 in favour of Fianna Fail’s proposal for a 7.5 per cent increase, which means homeowners in Limerick will see no change in their LPT for 2019. This move resulted in the fall of Fine Gael’s proposal to charge the baseline plus 10 per cent.

Thanks to a Fianna Fail (12 members)/Fine Gael (12 members) majority council we pay an addition 10% in in 2017, 7.5% in 2018 and an additional 7.5% this year. These are up there with the highest rates in the country.

Both parties take up 24 of the 40 local council seats.

Stevie Wonder could see their parties performance in Government since 2011 and even more so since the confidence and supply agreement.

Record homeless figures, housing an absolute shambles, waiting lists, the state of our local hospital UHL, HPV vaccines and smear test scandal, the treatment of Maurice McCable, water charges, cronyism, the farce that is jobbridge, zero hour contracts, USC, a Taoiseach who spent millions on a personal communication and image team.

All being supported in government by a party who drove our economy off a cliff and run by a Taoiseach who as a former minister for finance did not have a bank account.

These local councillors run under the names of both massively failed parties and the sooner the local electorate wake up to the fact the better.

We have a partly qualified journalist running the failed health service, we have a guy with a BA in English & Philosophy running the failed housing ministry.

Anyone who lives in close proximity to the city will have seen the coast guard helicopter and marine search and rescue on countless occasions over the last number of years searching for people in the river.

Let this sink in. We have a doctor running the country as current Taoiseach, who in his final act as health minister cut 12 million from the 35 million allocated to mental health budget saying that it could be better used elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone campaigning on parking, littering and upkeep of the city ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

They have a huge say on how much additional local property tax we pay. Every year the LPT automatically returns to the base rate with councillors able to alter the LPT by between 15 per cent of the baseline rate.

Councillors voted 18 to 17 in favour of Fianna Fail’s proposal for a 7.5 per cent increase, which means homeowners in Limerick will see no change in their LPT for 2019. This move resulted in the fall of Fine Gael’s proposal to charge the baseline plus 10 per cent.

Thanks to a Fianna Fail (12 members)/Fine Gael (12 members) majority council we pay an addition 10% in in 2017, 7.5% in 2018 and an additional 7.5% this year. These are up there with the highest rates in the country.

Both parties take up 24 of the 40 local council seats.

Stevie Wonder could see their parties performance in Government since 2011 and even more so since the confidence and supply agreement.

Record homeless figures, housing an absolute shambles, waiting lists, the state of our local hospital UHL, HPV vaccines and smear test scandal, the treatment of Maurice McCable, water charges, cronyism, the farce that is jobbridge, zero hour contracts, USC, a Taoiseach who spent millions on a personal communication and image team.

All being supported in government by a party who drove our economy off a cliff and run by a Taoiseach who as a former minister for finance did not have a bank account.

These local councillors run under the names of both massively failed parties and the sooner the local electorate wake up to the fact the better.

We have a partly qualified journalist running the failed health service, we have a guy with a BA in English & Philosophy running the failed housing ministry.

Anyone who lives in close proximity to the city will have seen the coast guard helicopter and marine search and rescue on countless occasions over the last number of years searching for people in the river.

Let this sink in. We have a doctor running the country as current Taoiseach, who in his final act as health minister cut 12 million from the 35 million allocated to mental health budget saying that it could be better used elsewhere.

Are 'our leaders' are equally responsible for the good stuff?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0314/1036362-cso-gdp-figures/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have made my mind up fairly well re votes. One thing I will be bringing up with any candidate calling to my door will be how anti social behaviour is allowed to continue to be such an issue in our city be it lads on scramblers, the flagrant disregard for parking laws on
    William st, mistreatment of horses and so on. A small minority, ethnic or not, are ruining our city and our LOCAL politicians need to hear that the silent majority are sick of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Steamboat quay music owner is running

• Advertisement

Are 'our leaders' are equally responsible for the good stuff?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0314/1036362-cso-gdp-figures/

Keep The Recovery Going was their election slogan back in 2016. The election where they lost 16 seats.

Problem is that they are way out of touch. For many there is no recovery. Little hope of ever being able to afford a home. God help us if we get sick or lose our jobs.

Record levels of homelessness, a crippled health and housing service. Scandal after scandal after scandal. If some are happy to vote FG/FF based solely on the economy then fair dues to them. Just keep in mind that you enable them to do what they do and nothing will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Anyone running that will help the sport for underage kids in Limerick or with public playing fields, basketball courts etc, etc and help for the elderly with hospital beds etc , people working and getting tax relief on creche fees etc, extended opening hours for live venues where alcohol sales is not dictating the dance licence ( I could on for hours !!!)

I don`t want some one who is getting in based on their second name being passed down to them so they can stand beside pot holes and get a photo op every hands turn and employ all their relations as secretaries.

Everyone is focused on people cheating the dole as being a burn on government money but in comparison to the gangsters we have voted in dole cheats are a tiny percentage to this, we need real people to stand up and be counted and address real issues for young adults who want a lot more from their community representatives than a pot hole fixed or speed ramp put in, its 2019.

Who can address these issues locally in Limerick, where is the help to develop the local underage sport, we have the highest suicide in the country and getting people out and involved in team sport and activities is a very positive step towards mental well being and yet not one candidate I have yet to see is focused on developing youth activities in local Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Keep The Recovery Going was their election slogan back in 2016. The election where they lost 16 seats.

Problem is that they are way out of touch. For many there is no recovery. Little hope of ever being able to afford a home. God help us if we get sick or lose our jobs.

Record levels of homelessness, a crippled health and housing service. Scandal after scandal after scandal. If some are happy to vote FG/FF based solely on the economy then fair dues to them. Just keep in mind that you enable them to do what they do and nothing will ever change.

FF/FG will continue to be the two largest parties in the state because despite the things you list, the majority of people in the country aren't affected and are doing quite well out of the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

At the moment, the Council approves budgets and holds Reserved Powers (approving bye-laws, changing the Local Property Tax rate, etc).

The Chief Executive develops the strategies to achieve Limerick's objectives. He has Executive Powers to deliver day-to-day operations, but he cannot stray into the Councillors' Reserved Powers or act contrary to Departmental legislation.

The new Directly Elected Mayor would effectively take the strategic function from the Chief Executive and become like Saddiq Khan or Michael Bloomberg or Rudi Giuliani.

Pro: we could get a superb candidate for Mayor. Could be a business leader or progressive Councillor or economist. The eligibility is not limited to Councillors.

Con: the Mayor could be an absolute dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jimbob1977 wrote:
    Pro: we could get a superb candidate for Mayor. Could be a business leader or progressive Councillor or economist. The eligibility is not limited to Councillors.

In order to get the job a candidate would have to contest an election against others. No business leader, economist or any other category of individual - with the exception of political types - with ability, would be willing to participate in this process. People like Guiliani have been professional politicians for decades. In an Irish context what might work is a government established commission tasked with finding suitable candidates who would become administrators or "tsars", one for each of the twenty six counties with the exception of Dublin which would have two and who would be answerable to the Minister for Environment.
    A direct election would never work. On balance, however, I think the current system suits best.

• Advertisement

FF/FG will continue to be the two largest parties in the state because despite the things you list, the majority of people in the country aren't affected and are doing quite well out of the current setup.

In the last election they have held less than 50% of seats in the dail. This has never happened before. The majority of people in the country have slowly started to realize what these parties are about.

In the last election they have held less than 50% of seats in the dail. This has never happened before. The majority of people in the country have slowly started to realize what these parties are about.

After the last election FG had 50 seats and FF had 44. That's 94 seats which is 60% of the 158 seats in the Dail.

Even after the 2011 election FG didn't have a majority. They had 76 out of 166 which was 8 short of a majority. There's a reason we always have coalitions.

Oh and FF increased their seats from 19 to 44 between 2011 and 2016

Do try to get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I guess the stat that was in mind there was that the last election was the first time FF/FG got less than 50% of the total vote between them.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I guess the stat that was in mind there was that the last election was the first time FF/FG got less than 50% of the total vote between them.

And if we used FPTP that may have been a relevant stat. But we don't, we use PR–STV, so the percentage of first preference votes is irrelevant. Neither party is going to be wiped out and they will in fact again be the largest two parties in the state after the local elections and after the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

And if we used FPTP that may have been a relevant stat. But we don't, we use PR–STV, so the percentage of first preference votes is irrelevant. Neither party is going to be wiped out and they will in fact again be the largest two parties in the state after the local elections and after the next general election.

I'd be fairly surprised if either party thought it irrelevant that their share of first preference votes has been steadily declining over the past couple of decades, but ho hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There's a 30 year downward trend for the combined vote of FF and FG. It was well over 90% in the 80's and it's down near 50% now. The surge of Sinn Féin since the GFA and Independents since 1997 accounts for much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Where can I find a list of candidates? I've seen posters up for people who I have never heard of before and I cannot find information on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wasn't there a website the last time that had a list of questions you could answer and depending on your answers they showed you which candidate best matched your answers or was that for the national elections.

I'd say one of the local papers will have something about all the candidates in one of the papers closer to the election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Not in my area but I hope to see Brian Leddin and Elisa O’Donovan get seats. They haven’t just appeared from the woodwork for this and I believe their intentions are good.

Never heard of them?

After the last election FG had 50 seats and FF had 44. That's 94 seats which is 60% of the 158 seats in the Dail.

Even after the 2011 election FG didn't have a majority. They had 76 out of 166 which was 8 short of a majority. There's a reason we always have coalitions.

Oh and FF increased their seats from 19 to 44 between 2011 and 2016

Do try to get your facts right.

My apologies re the seat numbers. Between the two parties they had less than 50% of the vote. This has never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Where can I find a list of candidates? I've seen posters up for people who I have never heard of before and I cannot find information on them.

The Limerick leader are doing a who's who of all the candidates running which gives you a bit of info on each. There is a link in the first page of the thread. A lot of the candidates have been using Twitter so you should check them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

North side Candidates. Not sure if I'm missing anyone...

Brian Leddin Green
    Olivia O Sullivan FG
    Denis McCarthy FG
    Brian O Connor FG
    Eleanor McSherry FG
    Christy McInerney  FF
    Kieran O Hanlon FF
    Pat O Neil FF
    Frankie Daly Ind
    Kevin Kiely Ind
    Anne Cronin Lab
    Conor Sheehan Lab
    Kieran Walsh SocDem
    John Costello SF
    Sharon Benson SF
    John Nugent SF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    The Limerick leader are doing a who's who of all the candidates running which gives you a bit of info on each. There is a link in the first page of the thread. A lot of the candidates have been using Twitter so you should check them out there.

Was behind a paywall last time I checked it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was behind a paywall last time I checked it

If you have an ad blocker turned on they put a paywall up to access some content, if you turn it off you should be able to access it for free.

Edit, appears they've archived it already... Seems ridiculous as it was only released 2 weeks ago and is currently relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

damowill wrote:
    North side Candidates. Not sure if I'm missing anyone...

damowill wrote:
    Brian Leddin Green Olivia O Sullivan FG Denis McCarthy FG Brian O Connor FG Eleanor McSherry FG Christy McInerney FF Kieran O Hanlon FF Pat O Neil FF Frankie Daly Ind Kevin Kiely Ind Anne Cronin Lab Conor Sheehan Lab Kieran Walsh SocDem John Costello SF Sharon Benson SF John Nugent SF

Hope that's not your order of preference :-)

source wrote: »
    If you have an ad blocker turned on they put a paywall up to access some content, if you turn it off you should be able to access it for free.

Edit, appears they've archived it already... Seems ridiculous as it was only released 2 weeks ago and is currently relevant.

Yeah it was on my phone - cant believe they've archived it already.

The candidates policies and positions, are they a secret?

Spoke to Denis and he told me he had no policies. He's just a council man who's good at negotiating.

damowill wrote: »
    Brian Leddin Green
    Add protection for transgender and intersex people by introducing hate crime legislation.

What'll it be next Brian. Thoughtcrime? Scary Green Party policies. Big fat no from me.
    The Green Party supports the amendment of the Gender Recognition Act 2015 to include recognition of non-binary and non-gendered individuals, and to facilitate gender recognition for people under the age of 18. We believe that further policies need to be implemented to support transgender and intersex people in Ireland, including better education to reduce transphobic bullying in schools.

What'll it be next Brian. Thoughtcrime? Scary Green Party policies. Big fat no from me.

So you're for hate crime!? Ok so, good luck with that.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    So you're for hate crime!? Ok so, good luck with that.

They want to legislate against free speech. I wonder what their definition of hate crime will be? Likely in direct opposition to reality.

Advertisement