Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They want to legislate against free speech. I wonder what their definition of hate crime will be? Likely in direct opposition to reality.

Do you want Hate speech and crime to be allowed? Surely you can see that allowing hate speech is detrimental to society.

On a separate thought, does anyone have a list of all the candidates, the limerick leader is useless in this regard, and I cant find the info on Limerick Council

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Mc Love wrote: »
    Do you want Hate speech and crime to be allowed? Surely you can see that allowing hate speech is detrimental to society.

On a separate thought, does anyone have a list of all the candidates, the limerick leader is useless in this regard, and I cant find the info on Limerick Council

I did not say that. What I fear is what the Green Party would define hate speech as? Misgendering someone perhaps? Slippery slope and all that.

It's a common approach of the left. Shut down speech you disagree with. Tyranny I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yawn

I did not say that. What I fear is what the Green Party would define hate speech as? Misgendering someone perhaps? Slippery slope and all that.

It's a common approach of the left. Shut down speech you disagree with. Tyranny I think it's called.

Mis-gendering someone? That wouldnt be what I would consider as hate crime, unless it was said in a malicious or hurtful manner.

It would be shutting down speech that is hurtful to others. Something you are all for apparently.

Maybe we need Brian or Green party to advise on what they mean and how they intend to police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Not exactly sure how helpful it would be to have An Taisce on the council either

• Advertisement

Funny story on the leader about one candidate for FG giving out about the IDA ignoring Clondrinagh Industrial Estate to be informed by the IDA that it was maintained by the council oh dear.

kilburn wrote: »
    Not exactly sure how helpful it would be to have An Taisce on the council either

Why would that be?
    Funny story on the leader about one candidate for FG giving out about the IDA ignoring Clondrinagh Industrial Estate to be informed by the IDA that it was maintained by the council oh dear.

Yeah to be honest it was a bit embarrassing. Not sure how the leader found out about it.

Mc Love wrote:
    Why would that be?

Apart from being against everything nothing really.

Shocking to see the council voting away the 800 year old Metropolitan mayor title

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Same lady is running in my area. They called on canvass and I wished her the best but said that I could not support FG. They asked if I voted for them previously. I advised that I gave Kieran O'Donnell my 1st preference in 2011 and that I had not seen him since.

They made excuses that the country was in a terrible state back then to which I agreed but I stated that they have had 8 years to fix it but have only made it worse. I mentioned Cervical Check, the Children’s Hospital, housing, multinational’s tax affairs, rising inequality, the handling of the Tuam babies, rural Ireland and broadband. The few which I could think of off the top of my head.

In fairness she comes across as a very nice person, has young children growing up in the area and her intentions on improving the community are most likely true but I personally cannot vote for someone running under the FG party.

A vote for FG is a vote for FF, a vote for FF is a vote for nothing.

A vote for FG is a vote for FF, a vote for FF is a vote for nothing.

Very honest statement, and for me it's either a Social Democrat or Green/Independent vote, but a FG cllr did manage to erect speed signs in my area where there were none before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

They made excuses that the country was in a terrible state back then to which I agreed but I stated that they have had 8 years to fix it but have only made it worse. I mentioned Cervical Check, the Children’s Hospital, housing, multinational’s tax affairs, rising inequality, the handling of the Tuam babies, rural Ireland and broadband. The few which I could think of off the top of my head.

What exactly is a government meant to do to prevent the cervical check scandal? Wasn't his due to a lab failure?
    The Childrens Hospital is on the James site. I can't see why there is an issue with this location. It's very near huston station.
    Housing is a disaster tied our lack of planning since the inception of the state.
    Tuam babies, again how was the government meant to stop nun's in the 1920's -1950's disposing of dead babies incorrectly.
    Rural broadband is again tied to lack of planning since the inception of the state. There is broadband in every town and village in Ireland. If you choose/are allowed to build a bungalow in a bog, on an island or on the side of a mountain somewhere, maybe you should not expect super fast broadband and a bus to the door for your kids. There is a price to be paid for every decision. "countryside" living doesn't come with city centre level of services. This applies for broadband, hospitals, banking, post etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What exactly is a government meant to do to prevent the cervical check scandal? Wasn't his due to a lab failure?
    The Childrens Hospital is on the James site. I can't see why there is an issue with this location. It's very near huston station.
    Housing is a disaster tied our lack of planning since the inception of the state.
    Tuam babies, again how was the government meant to stop nun's in the 1920's -1950's disposing of dead babies incorrectly.
    Rural broadband is again tied to lack of planning since the inception of the state. There is broadband in every town and village in Ireland. If you choose/are allowed to build a bungalow in a bog, on an island or on the side of a mountain somewhere, maybe you should not expect super fast broadband and a bus to the door for your kids. There is a price to be paid for every decision. "countryside" living doesn't come with city centre level of services. This applies for broadband, hospitals, banking, post etc.

Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

"hate speech" is an entirely subjective concept - idea

Taken to its conclusion, you could class scepticism towards climate change as hate speech as you are theoretically hating the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Hope that's not your order of preference :-)

Well Brian Leddin and Anne Cronin are possibly the best candidates on the North side ticket but if you want another Terry Wogan statue, be my guest and vote in Cllr Kieran O'Hanlon or one of the FF numpties

The joke was obviously missed by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

The joke was obviously missed by you.

Oops...

The fact that you come on here trying to defend the current government and their partners in Fianna Fail says it all really.

The fact that you come on here trying to defend the current government and their partners in Fianna Fail says it all really.
    Says what exactly?

Says what exactly?

It is impossible to defend their record in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Can any governments record ever be defended?

• Advertisement

Can you identify one area where progress has been made in the last 20 years?

Can you identify one area where progress has been made in the last 20 years?

What does that say about the status quo in government?

Seriously, our health service is an absolute disaster. Record numbers on trolleys and waiting lists. Vicky Phelan and Stephen Teap are still waiting on answers re the cervical check. Nurses on strike. Mental health is an absolute shambles.

The homeless crisis is at an all time high. Record numbers on waiting lists. The government have no interest in building houses. Private vulture funds buying huge amounts of property to rent to the highest bidder. They are almost entirely reliant of the private rental sector to provide social housing. They constantly manipulate the figures.

They are spending 3bn of taxpayers money on the national broadband which the state won't even own. It will be owned by the consortium that develops the network.

It's looking like a 1.4bn overspend on the national children's hospital and nobody's head will roll. The government we're aware of the overspend before the budget in October but hid the fact from FF. The latest report stating the hospital will be short up to 400 nurses when it opens.

They closed the emergency departments in Ennis, Nenagh and St John's leaving UHL with record numbers of people on trolleys. It is like a warzone out there at times. Now the funding for the new wing is on hold due to the overspend at the national children's hospital.

It has been clusterfu*k after clusterfu*k since they gained control in 2011. What's worse is the crowd who drove our economy off a cliff are their de facto partners in government.

I agree that some of the issues raised like Tuam, Cervical Check, McCabe, Moriarty to name a few cannot be directly attributed to FG but their handling of all has been absolutely appalling. They don't give two hoots Leo was forced to leave a public meeting in Cork tonight due to some protester's. "Have you a job, are you a scrounger, are you on the doll" is what was shouted to the protesters by the FG crowd in attendance. His contempt for the people of Ireland is real. He had better get used to it.

It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home said Ends Kenny in 1994. Then goes and introduces it once he gets into government. Then uses that tax we pay for local services to set up Irish Water.

A jaded government, offering no hope, no solutions.

AFTER EIGHT years in government, FG is not working.

BTW I'm in my 40's. Have a university degree and thankfully I've never been unemployed. I pay my USC, my tax, prsi, property tax and the rest. The only think I've protested my entire life were the water charges. I have no problem with the concept that user pays by the way and will gladly pay once they reduce the VAT and motor tax which was increased in 1997 to pay for water.

'

FG need more time tbh - FF left the country in the gutter, there's a lot of keyboard warriors out there thinking they can do better, but the hard fact is they probably would realise the situation when in government. Where would you get the money from? You'd have to get it from some form or taxation or government bond and then there would be the repayments on that.

What does that say about the status quo in government?
    '

That's a no so?
    It's a tricky question because it requires an opinion and not just rhetoric.

Have you noticed that we are currently at full employment. We have more 3rd level graduates than ever (including yourself) etc...

By the way I'm not a supporter of any party. I tend to vote on a per election basis. My view is that FG haven't done a terrible job compared to recent governments but the bar is pretty low.

IMO most of the good stuff has come from Europe stepping in the 1980's. The adults took over sorting out areas such as economics, education, R&D, environment etc

Anything which hasn't been managed from Europe is a mess i.e. healthcare, housing & planning etc

FG need more time tbh - FF left the country in the gutter, there's a lot of keyboard warriors out there thinking they can do better, but the hard fact is they probably would realise the situation when in government. Where would you get the money from? You'd have to get it from some form or taxation or government bond and then there would be the repayments on that.

Honest question McLove, Can you defend their handling of cervical check, McCabe or the Tuam scandal? How they have buried Moriorty?

How they manipulate the homeless, housing and unemployment numbers?

Why the Taoiseach needed a special PR unit?

Only a few days ago he went on national TV to call into question the concerns of four consultants in Waterford. He says there’s no evidence to back up claims that dead bodies were left decomposing on trollers at University Hospital Waterford. He is then informed of a letter sent by the consultants and requested from the HSE under FOI and says that he can't comment on that as he has not read the letter. Yet he can go on national TV and discredit the consultants without knowing the full story.

He looks like a man who just realized people know he’s a bull****ter. Following in Enda Kenny's steps as a political liability.

They have had 8 years in government. Their partners FF have no credibility whatsoever. They complain out one side of their mouth and back the government through the other side.

Honest question McLove, Can you defend their handling of cervical check, McCabe or the Tuam scandal? How they have buried Moriorty?

How they manipulate the homeless, housing and unemployment numbers?

Why the Taoiseach needed a special PR unit?

Only a few days ago he went on national TV to call into question the concerns of four consultants in Waterford. He says there’s no evidence to back up claims that dead bodies were left decomposing on trollers at University Hospital Waterford. He is then informed of a letter sent by the consultants and requested from the HSE under FOI and says that he can't comment on that as he has not read the letter. Yet he can go on national TV and discredit the consultants without knowing the full story.

He looks like a man who just realized people know he’s a bull****ter. Following in Enda Kenny's steps as a political liability.

They have had 8 years in government. Their partners FF have no credibility whatsoever. They complain out one side of their mouth and back the government through the other side.

Can you honestly say they would have been handled any better by any of the other parties, they are mostly all the same.

Cervical check are all under the remit of the HSE - which itself needs a good shake up as do many civil departments. Who's going to upset the apple cart!? No one!

That's a no so?
    It's a tricky question because it requires an opinion and not just rhetoric.

Have you noticed that we are currently at full employment. We have more 3rd level graduates than ever (including yourself) etc...

By the way I'm not a supporter of any party. I tend to vote on a per election basis. My view is that FG haven't done a terrible job compared to recent governments but the bar is pretty low.

IMO most of the good stuff has come from Europe stepping in the 1980's. The adults took over sorting out areas such as economics, education, R&D, environment etc

Anything which hasn't been managed from Europe is a mess i.e. healthcare, housing & planning etc

I agree there have been improvements but for the me the bad totally outweigh the good. You mention full employment but according to recent figures we have 100,000 people with jobs living in poverty. Jobbridge is a massive scam to massage the massage the unemployment figures in my opinion.

Look I vote for FG in 2011 believing that things would be better after what happened under FF but I was wrong. They are the most devious cunning shower to ever grace the Dail. I'm sorry but I can't believe a word out of them.

“Have you a job? Are you a sponger? Are you on the dole?” That’s what was shouted at the protestors at the Fine Gael rally in Cork last night.

For me it sums the party up perfectly.

Can you honestly say they would have been handled any better by any of the other parties, they are mostly all the same.

Cervical check are all under the remit of the HSE - which itself needs a good shake up as do many civil departments. Who's going to upset the apple cart!? No one!

So its ok then? We just keep voting for the same thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So its ok then? We just keep voting for the same thing?

You keep pointing out the negatives of FG. How about pointing out a reason to vote for one of the other parties? Because I tell you, you won't find any realistic economic policies from any of the left parties. Populist politics leaves countries in ruins. Thankfully we don't currently have a populist government.

FG may have their issues, but better the devil you know for me.

• Advertisement

I agree there have been improvements but for the me the bad totally outweigh the good. You mention full employment but according to recent figures we have 100,000 people with jobs living in poverty. Jobbridge is a massive scam to massage the massage the unemployment figures in my opinion.

Look I vote for FG in 2011 believing that things would be better after what happened under FF but I was wrong. They are the most devious cunning shower to ever grace the Dail. I'm sorry but I can't believe a word out of them.

“Have you a job? Are you a sponger? Are you on the dole?” That’s what was shouted at the protestors at the Fine Gael rally in Cork last night.

For me it sums the party up perfectly.

Economic full employment is not actually everbody in "a job". Even during the boom we didn't drop below 5%. There is always a % of people on the live register who can't, won't or don't work. Lots of reasons for this from mental illness, social inertia, artists etc

There is work for anyone who wants it currently.

Jobbridge no longer exists. IMO it offered an effective bridge during the recession for unemployed people to gain experience with employer who couldnt afford the salary.

Every political leader handles a certain % of abuse. Its a unfortunate part of the political discourse.

Advertisement