Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Honest question McLove, Can you defend their handling of cervical check, McCabe or the Tuam scandal? How they have buried Moriorty?

How they manipulate the homeless, housing and unemployment numbers?

Why the Taoiseach needed a special PR unit?

McCabe is a gardai issue.I don't see how the government is responsible here. I would have concerns that there is something rotten within the gardai culture. The new commissioner seems to be a break from the usual cronyism.

Of course the no 1 politician in the country needs pr. Every small business in the country is paying for PR.

The general point I would put forward is the goverment is neither responsible for all the good or bad things which happen. If we want better politicans then we need to focus our attention on areas where they are actually responsible and ineffective.

You realise most of the things your are latching onto are originating from the offices of opposition PR companies. Its spin versus spin, messaging versus messaging, real issues are rarely discussed in any depth. We need to step back from this crap and have deep conversations about the society we are building for each other and future generations

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

You keep pointing out the negatives of FG. How about pointing out a reason to vote for one of the other parties? Because I tell you, you won't find any realistic economic policies from any of the left parties. Populist politics leaves countries in ruins. Thankfully we don't currently have a populist government.

FG may have their issues, but better the devil you know for me.

It is time for change. In my opinion FG/FF will be one party in the next 10 years.

We have a political system which has corruption and cronyism ingrained in its very core.

Here is their current MEP being photographed with a convicted criminal just the other day.

lowry.jpg

I keep pointing out the negatives because there are so many. So so many. The amount of scandals is unprecedented. We have had FF/FG/LAB since 1932 and look where we are as a country.

Actually this day last year May 2nd, Simon Harris was "mad as hell" due to the information coming out and the impact it had on women across the country. A year on and he's done absolutely nothing.

A history of failed serial ministers being given a gold plated salary and pension for continual failure.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It is time for change. In my opinion FG/FF will be one party in the next 10 years.

We have a political system which has corruption and cronyism ingrained in its very core.

Here is their current MEP being photographed with a convicted criminal just the other day.

I keep pointing out the negatives because there are so many. So so many. The amount of scandals is unprecedented. We have had FF/FG/LAB since 1932 and look where we are as a country.

Actually this day last year May 2nd, Simon Harris was "mad as hell" due to the information coming out and the impact it had on women across the country. A year on and he's done absolutely nothing.

A history of failed serial ministers being given a gold plated salary and pension for continual failure.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

So you can't point out any positives about the alternatives then? Just as I thought. Keep on ranting then, because unless you actually put up some alternative options you're going to continue to be ridiculed.

So you can't point out any positives about the alternatives then? Just as I thought. Keep on ranting then, because unless you actually put up some alternative options you're going to continue to be ridiculed.

I can't be ridiculed for stating facts Cookie.

I won't be voting for FF/FG/LAB. I will vote for one of the many alternatives.

It is entirely up to you whom you vote for.

I can't be ridiculed for stating facts Cookie.

I won't be voting for FF/FG/LAB. I will vote for one of the many alternatives.

It is entirely up to you whom you vote for.

You can't come on ranting for pages without proposing an alternative. People will rightly ridicule you for soap boxing. If you want to have a constructive conversation/argument then you need to propose an alternative, which you have repeatedly failed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

We need the rubber bandits boii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So its ok then? We just keep voting for the same thing?

We have been doing exactly the same for the last 30/40 years to be honest.

You can't come on ranting for pages without proposing an alternative. People will rightly ridicule you for soap boxing. If you want to have a constructive conversation/argument then you need to propose an alternative, which you have repeatedly failed to do.

I have pointed out the failings in government and the reasons for which I will not vote for them again. Far from soap boxing.

The alternative is to vote for someone else. I am not going to champion anyone else and have no intention of doing so.

It is difficult to critique a party or independent on their election promises if they have never been given an opportunity to implement same by having never been in government.

?width=630&version=2358184

Held to account? Hell no. Given a gold plated salary and pension for continual failure.

SimonCoveneyCloseUpJune16_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-411270

Simon Coveney has effectively promised to end homelessness and the housing emergency in one big swoop. The housing minister is betting his career on fixing the crisis.

Held to account? Hell no. Given a gold plated salary and pension for continual failure.

Promise: Protecting core social welfare rates including child benefit.
    Reality: Cut child benefit

Promise: No Water Charges
    Reality: €750m has been wasted on setting up Irish Water which did not even pass the Eurostat test.

Promise: No increase in third level fees
    Reality: Increased by over 150% since 2011

Promise: Implement Universal Health Insurance
    Reality: Varadkar completely abandoned UHI in November 2015

Promise: No property tax
    Reality: The Local Property Tax was introduced in 2013

Promise: "Not another cent” into the banks
    Reality: €19 bn put into the banks by July 31st 2011

Promise: Force bondholders to pay for the bailout
    Reality: Billions in unsecured unguaranteed bonds have been paid out by the Government. No unilateral bond burning occurred.

Promise: Tackle the mortgage arrears crisis
    Reality: Over 40% of the 100,000 mortgages in arrears are in arrears for over 2 years.

Anyone held to account as a result of broken promises? Hell no. Given gold plated salary and pension for continual failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

I have pointed out the failings in government and the reasons for which I will not vote for them again. Far from soap boxing.

The alternative is to vote for someone else. I am not going to champion anyone else and have no intention of doing so.

It is difficult to critique a party or independent on their election promises if they have never been given an opportunity to implement same by having never been in government.

Is very easy to critique a party on their policies rather than their promises, it's also very easy to laud a party for their policies if you believe there is serious competition out there for the main 3 parties.

The real fact is that most of the other parties are either on the far left, which isn't popular in a moderate society like Ireland, or they are bandwagon parties changing their policies based on the current news cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

This is a quick survey which tells you which party you are closest to based on your views. It's geared for the Euros.

https://euandi2019.eu/survey/default/EN

Isn't soap boxing against the charter?

zulutango wrote: »
    This is a quick survey which tells you which party you are closest to based on your views. It's geared for the Euros.

The majority of people I've seen including myself who have taken it have gotten the Green party. Imagine if they got in!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Mc Love wrote: »
    The majority of people I've seen including myself who have taken it have gotten the Green party. Imagine if they got in!?

I found out today that I'm centre left and apparently align most with FF, FG and Lab.

Would have always considered myself competely centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not one person. Maybe I'd give the social democrats a chance, but not one other person inspires me in these local elections...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Green Party for me too and I wouldn't dream of giving them a vote . Followed by Labour ( Who I said that I wouldn't vote for again as long as Alan Kelly is in the party ) , followed by FG ( I am completely at odds with their trickle down economic policies ) .

I clearly haven't a clue what I want ..... or when I want it !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

zulutango wrote: »

Seems the social democrats have no opinion on a lot of things, 15 of the 22 questions marked as no opinion.

jonski wrote: »
    Green Party for me too and I wouldn't dream of giving them a vote . Followed by Labour ( Who I said that I wouldn't vote for again as long as Alan Kelly is in the party ) , followed by FG ( I am completely at odds with their trickle down economic policies ) .

I clearly haven't a clue what I want ..... or when I want it !

Same result as me, I would consider voting for Green at a local level, maybe at a national level. Couldnt really see myself voting Labour tbh. Social Dem's definitely in with a shout even though they were low in the result I got

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Same result as me, I would consider voting for Green at a local level, maybe at a national level. Couldnt really see myself voting Labour tbh. Social Dem's definitely in with a shout even though they were low in the result I got

I think the Green's would do tremendous work at local level. Its their niche area, providing for a liveable city, easy to navigate, pedestrian and cycle friendly. A focus on better planning policies for our city and end the cowboy builder era that has gone on too long. I hope Brian Leddin, Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann and Sean Hartigan all get in.

Of the SocDem candidates, i like Kieran Walsh & Elisa O' Donovan, who is heavily involved in improvement projects in the city already. Sara Jane Hennelly's stance on Castletroy TC expansion was disappointing at a time when we need strong planning policies. Have we learned nothing from the Celtic Tiger era!

Of the Labour candidates, Anne Cronin looks a very assured candidate, working with homelessness and housing, she has experience in this area to tackle the issues locally. She also setup the Limerick Cycle School Bus initiative.

I do admire James Collins (FF), he seems to get the City, and what it needs to propel us forward, so would like to see him re-elected to which he should have no problem being a Collins!

Daniel Butler (FG) is another that is active around Limerick and wants whats best for the City so id hope he is also elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Deffo don’t need Collins they are an old school political family

• Advertisement

So is Butler, whats your point? Collins (James) has been a very good mayor, its a pity he belongs to such an archaic party that are somewhat stuck in the past.

The whole metropolitan mayor thing is ****. We're not New York. It ties in with Fashion Quarter etc.
    I'm surprised they haven't started using the "tri state area" to refer to Limk/Clare/Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thought I was in a general election thread for a minute......

I will be voting based on who will get things done in my local area and for the City centre

grenadino wrote: »
    The whole metropolitan mayor thing is ****. We're not New York. It ties in with Fashion Quarter etc.
    I'm surprised they haven't started using the "tri state area" to refer to Limk/Clare/Tipp

When the city and county were amalgamated the leader of the whole council was the Cathaoirleach and the leader of the metropolitan area (the city) retained the title Mayor and had existed for 800 years. Then the former county councilors decided to rename the Cathaoirleach as Mayor giving us the ridiculous situation of having two mayors. One for the local authority and one for the city. They've now (disgracefully IMO) voted to abolish the 800 year old title of Mayor of Limerick.

I'm really hopeful that the plebiscite on an executive mayor passes to take power away from these idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So is Butler, whats your point? Collins (James) has been a very good mayor, its a pity he belongs to such an archaic party that are somewhat stuck in the past.

Exactly old school parties that have ruined this country they look after a select type

The thing is, most people will vote for people who will get them a street light, sort out the grass cutting, fill the potholes etc.
    Butler called to the door of a mate of mine a few weeks back, and kept banging on about how he'd done loads for the area. Maybe he has. I don't live in Limerick anymore so can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

source wrote: »
    I found out today that I'm centre left and apparently align most with FF, FG and Lab.

Would have always considered myself competely centre.

Renua came out top for me followed by direct democracy

In third place was PBP :eek:

grenadino wrote:
    The thing is, most people will vote for people who will get them a street light, sort out the grass cutting, fill the potholes etc. Butler called to the door of a mate of mine a few weeks back, and kept banging on about how he'd done loads for the area. Maybe he has. I don't live in Limerick anymore so can't say.

Is that not exactly what we should expect of local councillors though?

We are not talking TDs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

kilburn wrote: »
    Is that not exactly what we should expect of local councillors though?

We are not talking TDs here.

What are peoples wishlists for Limerick for the next 5-10 years?
    I.e. what should the newly elected councillors be trying to achieve?

• Advertisement

What are peoples wishlists for Limerick for the next 5-10 years? I.e. what should the newly elected councillors be trying to achieve?

They can start with doing something on the budget to recruit 5 traffic wardens, 2 more litter wardens and 2 dog wardens.

All these would be cost neutral and profitable if actually policed.

Advertisement