Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Local Elections

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Some of the Casey's are nice people I'll have you know.

Are they away from crime?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note:
    I've deleted posts where people are named.

This is an election thread so keep in on that topic

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

The proposal is that the directly elected Mayor would take on many of the functions that the CEO of the Council currently has.

Does this mean the cost of the city/council manager will be reduced or will we pay twice for the same job????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Knit wit wrote:
    The proposal is that the directly elected Mayor would take on many of the functions that the CEO of the Council currently has.

Knit wit wrote:
    Does this mean the cost of the city/council manager will be reduced or will we pay twice for the same job????

It would be an executive position so it would seem to me that the role of the current city manager would become redundant. It would also call into question the need to have an elected council at all whose members receive a salary from the public purse as is the case currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Is there a published list of local election candidates? The information seems to be nearly impossible to obtain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Is there a published list of local election candidates? The information seems to be nearly impossible to obtain.

Nope, not yet. The closing date for nominations was only two days ago so a list couldn't be published before then.

RTE have started compiling a list for every electoral area in the country but they haven't updated Limerick yet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0505/1047645-local-elections/

zulutango wrote: »
    Nope, not yet. The closing date for nominations was only two days ago so a list couldn't be published before then.

RTE have started compiling a list for every electoral area in the country but they haven't updated Limerick yet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0505/1047645-local-elections/

So far the best of the bunch for the North Side appears to be FG Brian O'Connor... I'd like an alternative that wasn't from the main parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭zimmermania

The problem with a thread like this is that we get little more than a very subjective view from all who post and the popularity of candidates here will totally different to the actual result of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

The problem with a thread like this is that we get little more than a very subjective view from all who post and the popularity of candidates here will totally different to the actual result of the election.

Would it not be an idea to put up some sort of poll once we know we have a completed list of all candidates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Would it not be an idea to put up some sort of poll once we know we have a completed list of all candidates.

There are 40 seats so well over a hundred candidates split between 6 local electoral areas. A poll on here would be unwieldy at best and wouldn't show anything past first preference.
    Many of these elections go to the ninth, tenth or even eleventh count and I've seen plenty of candidates in the past get overtaken because while they might get a good first preference, they don't get transfers.

• Advertisement

Polls in a forum like this are usually headed by smaller political groups or parties who have an active number of keyboard warriors who are only interested in talking up their favoured candidates.
    It does not require any great skill to see that the op has a soft spot for the Greens and while there is nothing wrong with that we should not forget that most posters will promote their own particular view on here and will not be open to change in the way that a lot of voters are.

It was just an idea lads to get a flavour of who people will vote for. Not everyone will vote for all of the candidates on the card.

Full list of candidates by area

(prefix Cllr denotes outgoing member)

ADARE-RATHKEALE

Bridie Collins, Fianna Fail

Cllr Stephen Keary Fine Gael

Mark Keogh, Direct Democracy Ireland

Cllr Emmett O'Brien, Independent

Triona O'Dea, Fianna Fail

Cllr Richard O'Donoghue, Independent

Mike Putt, Direct Democracy Ireland

Cllr Kevin Sheahan, Fianna Fail

Theresa Storey Green Party

Cllr Adam Teskey Fine Gael

Leo Walsh Fine Gael

CAPPAMORE-KILMALLOCK

PJ Carey, Independent

Greg Conway Fine Gael

Cllr Michael Donegan, Fianna Fail

John Egan, Fine Gael

Jim Hickey, Sinn Fein

Shane Hogan, Aontu

Trevor McCarthy, Social Democrats

Joseph Meagher, Fianna Fail

Cllr Gerald Mitchell Fine Gael

John O'Gorman, Independent

Cllr Eddie Ryan, Fianna Fail

Martin Ryan Fianna Fail

Noreen Stokes Fine Gael

Cllr Brigid Teefy, Independent

NEWCASTLE WEST

Cllr Séamus Browne, Sinn Fein

Cllr Michael Collins, Fianna Fail

John Dalton, Renua

Cllr Francis Foley, Fianna Fail

Cllr Liam Galvin, Fine Gael

Christy Kelly, Independent

Conor O'Donoghue, Aontu

Sean O'Mahony, Independent

Tom Ruddle Fine Gael

Cllr Jerome Scanlan, Fine Gael

Cllr John Sheahan, Fine Gael

LIMERICK CITY EAST

Noel Hannan, Independent

Seán Hartigan, Green Party

Sarah Jane Hennelly, Social Democrats

Cllr Marian Hurley, Fine Gael

Cllr Paul Keller, Solidarity-People Before Profit

Sarah Kiely, Fine Gael

Derek Mulcahy, Independent

Michael Murphy, Fine Gael

Cllr Séighin Ó Ceallaigh, Sinn Fein

Cllr Jerry O'Dea, Fianna Fail

Cllr Joe Pond, Fianna Fail

Diarmuid Ryan, Independent

Michael Ryan, Aontu

Cllr Elena Secas, Labour

Cllr Michael Sheahan, Fine Gael

Catherine Slattery, Fianna Fail

LIMERICK CITY WEST

Cllr Daniel Butler, Fine Gael

Mark Carey, Independent

Mayor James Collins, Fianna Fail

Sunnymartins Duruagwu, Independent

Julian Fitzgibbon, Aontu

Cllr Elenora Hogan, Fine Gael

Fergus Kilcoyne, Independent

Cllr Joe Leddin, Labour

Cllr John Loftus, Independent

Jim Long, Independent

Cllr Sean Lynch, Fianna Fail

Breandán Anraoi MacGabhann, Green Party

Cathal McCarthy, Independent

Cllr Malachy McCreesh, Sinn Fein

Dan McSweeney, Fine Gael

Jamie Morrissey, Independent

Seónaidh Ní Shíomóin, Solidarity-People Before Profit

Elisa O'Donovan, Social Democrats

Abul Kalam Azad Talukder, Fianna Fail

LIMERICK CITY NORTH

Sharon Benson, Sinn Fein

Cllr Mary Cahillane, Solidarity-People Before Profit

Ruth Clarke, Independent

Cllr John Costelloe, Sinn Fein

Anne Cronin, Labour

Cllr Frankie Daly, Independent

Desmond Hayes, Independent

Kevin Kiely, Independent

Brian Leddin, Green Party

Denis McCarthy, Fine Gael

Christy McInerney Fianna Fail

Eleanor McSherry, Fine Gael

John Nugent, Sinn Fein

Brian O'Connor, Fine Gael

Maeve O'Donnell, Aontu

Cllr Kieran O'Hanlon, Fianna Fail

Pat O'Neill, Fianna Fail

Olivia O'Sullivan Fine Gael

Dean Quinn, Independent

Conor Sheehan, Labour

Kieran Walsh, Social Democrats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

i thought George Gleeson was running as independent for Limerick City East, he even had an ad in the Limerick Post.

Mc Love wrote: »
    i thought George Gleeson was running as independent for Limerick City East, he even had an ad in the Limerick Post.

Got those from Twitter just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Im just confused whether i can vote or not. I got and 1200 houses in my area received booklets about voting in the limerick city and county. It was made perfectly clear to me when certain counselors were on limerick 95fm about anti social behaviour in my area the didnt care about what happened once you put a foot on the Aurtlunard bridge corbally.

What?

If you get a voting card you can vote. Have you registered? Have you voted in other elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

These booklets. Not voting cards. I bet houses in limerick havent even got them yet and we in clare have them

Why would you receive them in clare? Might be worth asking the council

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Im just confused whether i can vote or not. I got and 1200 houses in my area received booklets about voting in the limerick city and county. It was made perfectly clear to me when certain counselors were on limerick 95fm about anti social behaviour in my area the didnt care about what happened once you put a foot on the Aurtlunard bridge corbally.

Put your details in here and it'll tell you if and where you're registered to vote.

I received one of those booklets along with my voting card in City East ward yesterday.

• Advertisement

pnpweirdo wrote: »

Are you living in county Clare?

So far the best of the bunch for the North Side appears to be FG Brian O'Connor... I'd like an alternative that wasn't from the main parties.

Why is that?

Why is that?

Why is he the best or why do I want an alternative?

He's an ex-soldier, he's a carer for his uncle. I think that makes him a decent guy. I like the fact that he is from a working class area. He seems the best out of the FG candidates to me.
    Some of the headline issues are housing; schools; flood defences; anti-social behaviour; transportation such as bus services, cycle lanes, traffic and commute times along with derelict and vacant buildings.

I'd like an alternative that wasn't FG or FF. Labour / Social Democrats have a marxist social agenda. Sinn Fein make me nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

He's an ex-soldier, he's a carer for his uncle. I think that makes him a decent guy. I like the fact that he is from a working class area. He seems the best out of the FG candidates to me.

He also makes amazing crisps worth my vote alone............

I'd like an alternative that wasn't FG or FF. Labour / Social Democrats have a marxist social agenda. Sinn Fein make me nervous.
    Sorry I did not make it clear.I was asking why you suggested a first time out candidate for FG was the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Good to have a normal working class candidate
    Crisps??

kilburn wrote: »
    He also makes amazing crisps worth my vote alone............
    I will repeat what i said earlier,we will all post in favour of candidates we know and want to do well,there will be little objectivity to be found here.

Labour/Social Democrats marxist!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Social Democrats are not Marxist, they are far too middle class for that, they are nothing but a refuge for disillusioned ex Labour Party members, there is no discernable difference between the two parties

Middle class soft left, wouldn't vote for either but they are not revolutionaries

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Social Democrats are not Marxist, they are far too middle class for that, they are nothing but a refuge for disillusioned ex Labour Party members, there is no discernable difference between the two parties

Middle class soft left, wouldn't vote for either but they are not revolutionaries

Well the Labour party is anti free speech. Social democrats have no opinions on anything it seems.

Advertisement