Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisemitism rising sharply across Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I agree with you but unfortunately hard to see a settlement happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I agree with you but unfortunately hard to see a settlement happening.

People said that about Northern Ireland once.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The youth movement of the ruling Social Democrats in Sweden was caught chanting an anti-Zionist song on May 1st.
    They may now lose their state funding.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190508/malm-youth-politicians-probed-for-anti-zionist-chant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

They did for sure. Not too well versed on the politicians in that region. You seem well versed in it all.

biko wrote: »
    The youth movement of the ruling Social Democrats in Sweden was caught chanting an anti-Zionist song on May 1st.
    They may now lose their state funding.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190508/malm-youth-politicians-probed-for-anti-zionist-chant

GO SWEDEN!

• Advertisement

She wasn't banned they just cancelled an official visit.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-renews-ties-with-swedish-foreign-minister-1.5627975

And they have improved relations with her now. The Israeli ambassador in stockholm met with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That is a highly misleading map.

There was never a state called Palestine in the 40s much less with defined borders. ..................

There was the mandate and it did indeed have defined borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

During a Swedish parliamentary debate Tuesday, Wallström called for an investigation into whether Palestinian assailants were victims of “extrajudicial killings.” The suggestion was met with fury from Israel's foreign ministry, which called her remarks “irresponsible and delusional,” according to reports in the Israeli press.

It's a pretty unreasonable reason to ban her from the country, raising human rights concerns is reasonable. Israel does have a history of questionable killings. This does not condone the stabbings in any way, that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think the Arab world is done with religious political leaders. I sense a shift.

The Arab Street is more radical now than in the past.

In free and fair elections I doubt there would be one Arabic nation that would not elect it at least have in contention an Islamist party.

That trend will continue to Intensify imho.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    The Arab Street is more radical now than in the past.

In free and fair elections I doubt there would be one Arabic nation that would not elect it at least have in contention an Islamist party.

That trend will continue to Intensify imho.

Unfortunately a lot of Arab states have been run by relatively secular western backed regimes. This gives the Islamists the advantage of having hurled from the ditch for decades, with a clean sheet as regards corruption and so on.

batgoat wrote: »
    It's a pretty unreasonable reason to ban her from the country, raising human rights concerns is reasonable. Israel does have a history of questionable killings. This does not condone the stabbings in any way, that's the reality.

Until the Americans talked sense into them, they assasinated people all over Western Europe -in France in particular. More recently they targeted members of the Iranian nuclear effort.

Labour activist yesterday warned Jewish orgs over the antisemitism problem, said they are in the gutter with rats, were a fifth column.

Something about Rabbis being behind a Synagogue shooting but I didn't fully get his rambled point.

Naturally thousands cheered.

Modern Left in Britain.

This is not a small problem, it is structural and ideological at this stage.

I'd consider myself left.

Danzy wrote: »
    Labour activist yesterday warned Jewish orgs over the antisemitism problem, said they are in the gutter with rats, were a fifth column.

Something about Rabbis being behind a Synagogue shooting but I didn't fully get his rambled point.

Naturally thousands cheered.

Modern Left in Britain.

This is not a small problem, it is structural and ideological at this stage.

I'd consider myself left.

....would you happen to have a link to that?

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....would you happen to have a link to that?

On Twitter, didn't keep the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There's more nobbling of Corbyn than actual anti-semetism going on here. There's a definite bias and it's not related to anti-semetism, but it's nice mud to throw. If it wasn't anti-semetism it would be something else.

Do you not think one can call out this stuff?
    Is it not worthy to call out anti-Semitism when people see it, regardless of who spouts it?

1 - no, it isn't. Take a look at the death tolls for an idea of whose really on the receiving end.

2 - Israel - by building colonies for its citizens in the West Bank etc - is the aggressor. There's no if buts or maybes.

1. Body count has no correlation with policy or what a people want.

2. Really? Hamas sending rockets into Israel? Hezbollah? Iran? Not that I agree with settlements, I don't, but pointing all the blame on Israel and ignoring all other state actors is the usual bias we see regarding this issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I see it but I don't care. Is that bad?

markodaly wrote: »
    1. Body count has no correlation with policy or what a people want.

I was referring to what and whose foot the boot was on.

2. Really? Hamas sending rockets into Israel? Hezbollah? Iran? Not that I agree with settlements, I don't, but pointing all the blame on Israel and ignoring all other state actors is the usual bias we see regarding this issue.

...while Israel is acting as an aggressor, it can hardly claim to be the subject of unjustified attacks.

I
    Israel is a rogue criminal state by action and design.

This is anti-Semitic, according to IHRA.
    Perhaps you should check your bias and re-examine your world view.

• Advertisement

This is anti-Semitic, according to IHRA.
    Perhaps you should check your bias and re-examine your world view.

.....a classic example of using the cry of anti-semitism to silence critics. The facts are that Israel has - against international law - been colonising the occupied territories. It's occassionally used assasination in Europe and abroad, most recently against those involved in the iranian nuclear program. As a result, the claim of "criminal state" is not without foundation. The ethnicity of Israels population doesn't come into it.

I was referring to what and whose foot the boot was on.
    No, you were referring to body count and a method to try and tell us what "jews" wanted as a policy, as if they are a hive mind.
    Also, it's anti-Semitic.

...while Israel is acting as an aggressor, it can hardly claim to be the subject of unjustified attacks.

Deliberate targetting of innocent women and children is 'justified' now? Tell us exactly when these attacks started to be justified in your eyes.

.....a classic example of using the cry of anti-semitism to silence critics.

The IHRA is clear on this.

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism
    Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.

Isreal has a right to exist. End of.

People calling it a criminal state by 'design', even though it was sanctioned by the UN General Assembly are engaging in anti-Semitic tropes.

No, you were referring to body count and a method to try and tell us what "jews" wanted as a policy,

as if they are a hive mind.
    Also, it's anti-Semitic.

Where did I say this? Please quote/link to the post.

The IHRA is clear on this.

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism

Isreal has a right to exist. End of.

People calling it a criminal state by 'design', even though it was sanctioned by the UN General Assembly are engaging in anti-Semitic tropes.

He didn't call it a criminal state by design, he was referring to the activities of the state rendering it a criminal one. From the late 1960's its been engaged in the criminal endavour of colonising land outside its legally recognised borders. Are you saying the settlements/colonies are legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Israel is one of the few subjects I find myself siding with the left, I do find that Conservatives in Ireland tend to defend Israel without much analysis, the left support Palestinian rights and thus they must back Israel

He didn't call it a criminal state by design,

Yes he did.
    Israel is a rogue criminal state by action and design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Interesting watching Mick Wallace on RTÉ justifying the Bataclan massacre on the basis France were involved in the coalition against ISIS

What has that to do with antisemitism?

• Advertisement

Yes he did.

I presume he referred to its actions in the OT. We'll have to wait from him to clarify.

For five decades now its been engaged in the illegal endavour of colonising land outside its legally recognised borders. Are you saying the settlements/colonies are legal?

No, you were referring to body count and a method to try and tell us what "jews" wanted as a policy, as if they are a hive mind.
    Also, it's anti-Semitic.

Where did I say this? Please quote/link to the post or have the decency to withdraw your claim.

Advertisement