Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech hedging not coming into leaf - Dead??

Options
  • 15-04-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Sowed a copper beech and green beech hedge 3 years and was growing reasonably well , the green more so. However neither have yet came into leaf this year and I am afraid they might have died. Strange as there were growing, and now I know we had the real hot spell and subsequent drought last summer but I watered the hedge nearly every day and at least the recommended every second day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Have you looked closely and see if they have buds forming, as a lot of my deciduous shrubs are only starting to bud but no leaf yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Check are the buds starting to swell. I've a feew that's haven't come to leaf , so wouldn't be to worried yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's very few beech that i've seen around which have started budding yet, give them a bit more time.

All the gardens with beech hedges I look after have been slow to come on along with many other deciduous shrubs and trees. They were so late loosing there leaves last winter.

Don't make any rash decisions yet for another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

All my beech are the same, no buds a week ago, my ash trees the buds only opened in the last couple of days so its probably not just your trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Great was hoping that was the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My beech hedges haven't budded yet and I wouldn't expect them too just yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I’ve a mixture of ages and the largest ones leaves are opening but smaller ones showing little signs of life so far, lost a few in drought last year so expecting a few more not to have come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I was looking at a beech hedge yesterday, 30’ long and only 1’ was in leaf yet the rest is covered in buds.

So no, don’t worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

My beech hedge, only in their second year, looked dead until about 2 days ago when I thought buds seemed to be lengthening, and yesterday 2 of them had opened into leaf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Beech is one of the last to leaf up. It's usually may.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just an update on mine - still very slow, has been happening in fits and starts, but two thirds of the plants have yet to come into leaf. it was only planted a couple of months ago. maybe this spell of warm weather will help things along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Mine are now in full leaf. But they're young trees still so full leaf still means spindly looking trees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

I’ve a mountain ash tree I planted last year. About 14ft tall. Buds are there but still no leafs. It’s still alive but no idea why it’s not leafing yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

just an update on mine - still very slow, has been happening in fits and starts, but two thirds of the plants have yet to come into leaf. it was only planted a couple of months ago. maybe this spell of warm weather will help things along.

Any buds? 80% of mine are in leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Mine are in full leaf looking well. Amazing the difference in a few weeks

Advertisement